Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 11:21   #4036
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 166
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasi View Post
I had read somewhere that the position is such that the sound hits the front windscreen causing some amount of distortion. When I upgraded, I had the option of either putting the new tweeters in the existing slot of getting it fixed like in the below picture (which is what I did)
I might choose the distortion and put the tweeter inside the inlet intended for that and hope the slight angle of the tweeter reduces the distortions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasi View Post
Opening the HU requires specialized plastic pry tool. So make sure you get them instead of using normal screw drivers which might cause the plastic to chip.
The attached video clearly shows the usage of plastic pry tool. I am not sure from where and how to source it, but was thinking of using the guitar pick (thickets of the lot) and see whether I can remove the HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasi View Post
Maybe because I had amp installed, the entire work looked complex. It made me nuts at some stage where there were so many wires running around, the dash opened, carpet removed, door panel taken off. So do it if you know what you are doing.
Can you please tell me the size of the OEM speakers? Tried several forums, but failed to get the answer.
May be I missed it, can you also let me know of the upgrades. I am planning to start with inifinity reference 6500 CX (Rs. 4.8k in snapdeal) in the front. The only thing which is stopping me from placing the order is that the pictures on snapdeal do not show a tweeter anywhere though it mentions 'adustable tweeter levels'. Also the cost of the said speakers is very different from that available at say amazon.in putting doubt in my mind.

Thanks a lot for the pictures. Looks like the upgrade is better left to a good installer than attempting for DIY.

Girish
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 11:34   #4037
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The new generation of 2WD cars with high BHP and Torque, like the S Cross, are very capable machines indeed in many ways, but for the most part, their gearing and torque delivery (atleast in the Indian avatar) is best suited to regular driving on highways and on poor roads etc but these are not the best vehicles for that serious hill climbing activity on rough, broken roads, that one may wish to indulge in. These are not really meant for that kind of usage. Great cars though, for the most part and will more or less tick all the boxes for normal use.
Thanks for the great info Shankar!
The only thing which unsettles me is that same terrain was achievable with Ritz VDi's 1.3 engine but I seriously had some trouble keeping the revs of SCross 1.6 going in steep drive. One continuously has to use clutch and even then either the revs go up quite fast and if you try to give it a little breath the revvs go down even faster and it becomes difficult to keep goin.
It certainly was a lot easier with Ritz and I took it places...never had to think twice before taking it anywhere.
May be I am missing a trick here
320NmThunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 11:35   #4038
BHPian
 
Pro-Idiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Noida
Posts: 46
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
320DDIS was put to test on the hills @ 3000m altitude.
Performed pretty well, fantastic handling and comfort levels.
However, the engine was gasping for oxygen at times on steep gradients. You need to keep the RPM high to keep it going.

Idle RPM at that altitude was around 1000 RPM. Guess, the ECM alters it with pressure difference.
Hi Kpzen,
Beautiful picture!!
The S-Cross 1st gear under 1800 rpm is its achilles heel ! I went up to Shimla and further up to Thanedar in Dec and everything was wonderfull.... But, we chanced on a road leading to a temple, with steep inclines and no tarmac. I thought my car would do it easy, but ofcourse it didnt.

We had to stop for a jeep coming down and when I tried resuming the incline, the car simply refused. There was no momentum, incline was steep, and there was less traction since the road was dirt.

The first gear without the turbo had no chance, and with the turbo there was no traction since the wheels were being rotated too fast.

How much torque does the engine have without the turbo? I haven't asked this question before, but I guess I would like the engine to , atleast, not stop so easily.
By the way, this is not an issue limited to the dirt roads, I had a similar problem at the rohan noida service station, their driver was trying to take my car up the incline into the workshop, from standstill, and kept stalling the engine.
I told him to get off and did it myself. Handbrake, Turbo revving, it was easy enough for me, but didn't feel happy about it.

Almost tempted to do a remap, but would like to hear expert opinion on the problem before doing anything.
Pro-Idiot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 11:40   #4039
BHPian
 
shivasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Poona
Posts: 105
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

The attached video clearly shows the usage of plastic pry tool. I am not sure from where and how to source it, but was thinking of using the guitar pick (thickets of the lot) and see whether I can remove the HU
These are available online.
https://paytm.com/shop/p/4-pcs-car-a...1009699FA4E9BA

http://www.flipkart.com/uxcell-car-a...id=Vishvabhram

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Can you please tell me the size of the OEM speakers? Tried several forums, but failed to get the answer.
May be I missed it, can you also let me know of the upgrades. I am planning to start with inifinity reference 6500 CX (Rs. 4.8k in snapdeal) in the front. The only thing which is stopping me from placing the order is that the pictures on snapdeal do not show a tweeter anywhere though it mentions 'adustable tweeter levels'. Also the cost of the said speakers is very different from that available at say amazon.in putting doubt in my mind.

Thanks a lot for the pictures. Looks like the upgrade is better left to a good installer than attempting for DIY.

Girish
I have left the OEM speakers at the shop where I got it fitted. I plan to visit there this week. Will measure the size and get some pictures for you.

I upgraded to Blaupunkt Velocity component series I think. I will get the exact model.

Shiv

Last edited by shivasi : 18th April 2016 at 11:41. Reason: quotes
shivasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 12:42   #4040
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 93
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I have Scross 1.6 and from last 3 4 days my car was emitting black smoke .yesterday when I had gone for 80km trip I noticed it got much worse and car was emitting black smoke even on slight acceleration. I have just visited Sai service next to my building and they have confirmed it as well.I have left the car there as they want to examine everything .SA told me there must be some issue with pipes or clips in engine associated with turbocharger. Turbocharger is working normally but yesterday I felt bit performance loss in 1st and 2nd gear.let's hope for best .SA have told me he will call me In sometime.I just hope the issue get solved soon
sahiltodankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 14:59   #4041
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: BLR, DMM, TRV
Posts: 85
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Can you please tell me the size of the OEM speakers? Tried several forums, but failed to get the answer.
Girish
Hey Girish, its 6.5", the standard size for S-Cross, though 6.75" will also go in easily.
lovetorque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 15:25   #4042
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 166
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Hey Girish, its 6.5", the standard size for S-Cross, though 6.75" will also go in easily.
Thanks very much for the info. This narrows down my choices a lot. Only if I knew whether the infinity reference listed on snapdeal comes with tweeters and crossovers as listed in other online shops.

girish
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 16:14   #4043
BHPian
 
ScorpMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: DL/PB/HR
Posts: 325
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
The S-Cross 1st gear under 1800 rpm is its achilles heel ! I went up to Shimla and further up to Thanedar in Dec and everything was wonderfull.... But, we chanced on a road leading to a temple, with steep inclines and no tarmac. I thought my car would do it easy, but ofcourse it didnt.
I guess you are talking about the famous Jakhu Temple. Getting bogged down on even slightly steep climbs seems to be a DDis trademark. Have done several visits in my Scorpio, and it just climbs on like a mountain goat despite humongous body weight, but had a very tough time in Swift. It is totally dead below 1.8k rpm. That was the first and only hilly visit for my Swift.
ScorpMan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 17:18   #4044
BHPian
 
McLaren Roxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi/Thane/Mum
Posts: 104
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
I am planning to start with inifinity reference 6500 CX (Rs. 4.8k in snapdeal) in the front. The only thing which is stopping me from placing the order is that the pictures on snapdeal do not show a tweeter anywhere though it mentions 'adustable tweeter levels'. Also the cost of the said speakers is very different from that available at say amazon.in putting doubt in my mind.
Girish
I would recommend buying all your ICE items from a reputed neighborhood audio shop. You would not only get to see & hear the speakers before you pay, but also go back to the shop just incase anything goes wrong.
With online, you would be left running from pillar to post if there are any manufacturing defects or service.
This, after my bad experience with purchasing an Infinity reference subwoofer and it having a manufacturing defect.
The fact that I directly bought it from the Harman Kardon website saved me I guess. But I still had to take it to their local distributor for verification & then wait a week for a replacement to be sanctioned.
McLaren Roxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 22:19   #4045
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 358
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
...

The first gear without the turbo had no chance, and with the turbo there was no traction since the wheels were being rotated too fast.

How much torque does the engine have without the turbo? I haven't asked this question before, but I guess I would like the engine to , atleast, not stop so easily...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
.. Getting bogged down on even slightly steep climbs seems to be a DDis trademark. Have done several visits in my Scorpio, and it just climbs on like a mountain goat despite humongous body weight, but had a very tough time in Swift. It is totally dead below 1.8k rpm. That was the first and only hilly visit for my Swift.
Could not agree more with you both.
I have stuck twice on steep inclined once with ritz ddis and the other time with dzire ddis.

And more than once i had to revv/slip clutch to take off on steep inclined slope.

It's surprising that this issue with our so called national engine isn't discussed on this forum/maybe i missed those discussions/maybe there is a way around to handle such situations.

I was looking for an upgrade to my dzire, but now it won't be s-cross for sure, as I frequently travel to hills.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 22:27   #4046
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mlore/Kasaragod
Posts: 1,453
Thanked: 2,193 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
I have Scross 1.6 and from last 3 4 days my car was emitting black smoke .yesterday when I had gone for 80km trip I noticed it got much worse and car was emitting black smoke even on slight acceleration. I have just visited Sai service next to my building and they have confirmed it as well.I have left the car there as they want to examine everything .SA told me there must be some issue with pipes or clips in engine associated with turbocharger. Turbocharger is working normally but yesterday I felt bit performance loss in 1st and 2nd gear.let's hope for best .SA have told me he will call me In sometime.I just hope the issue get solved soon
Bad/Adulterated diesel could be the culprit too. Did you fill in new bunk?
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 22:33   #4047
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Bad/Adulterated diesel could be the culprit too. Did you fill in new bunk?
Or 'something' got inside the air filter box.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 00:50   #4048
BHPian
 
manish.thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kottayam, kochi
Posts: 52
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
Hi Kpzen,
Beautiful picture!!
The S-Cross 1st gear under 1800 rpm is its achilles heel ! I went up to Shimla and further up to Thanedar in Dec and everything was wonderfull.... But, we chanced on a road leading to a temple, with steep inclines and no tarmac. I thought my car would do it easy, but ofcourse it didnt.
.
Suprised, for the kind of torque this car has, I was expecting it to climb even without accelerating, like the bolero.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetorque View Post
Hey Girish, its 6.5", the standard size for S-Cross, though 6.75" will also go in easily.
Thanks, I have 6.5 components from my old verna Just need to get it installed.
manish.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 11:08   #4049
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,715
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

My S-Cross went for 2nd free servicing yesterday and came back with a non-functional front roof light.

Read further story on my thread.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 14:09   #4050
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mlore/Kasaragod
Posts: 1,453
Thanked: 2,193 Times
Default

I will get my 1.3 Zeta S cross next week. Dealer is not ready to give in any discounts saying it's 2016 model. I always wanted 1.6 but couldn't convince dad. I drove both 1.3 and 1.6 back to back today. 1.6 test drive car was 17k run and gear shifts felt smoother compared to my previous drive couple of months back. I took long drive of both cars. Acceleration of 1.6 is brutal and picks up speed effortlessly even above 120 kmph. 1.3 feels miles behind in performance compared to 1.6, but it is no way underpowered. Dealer had only one 1.6 delta 2015 and it got sold today.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 20th April 2016 at 14:18.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38) .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 1220 25th July 2015 11:33
Fiat Avventura vs VW Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford EcoSport a4anurag Hatchbacks 14 16th July 2015 10:22
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio devarshi84 What Car? 19 4th December 2014 03:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks