Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 07:21   #4561
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,286 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I got my 1.6 S-Cross Alpha today. This car has literally spoilt me after 50 KM drive today. Turbo starts kicking in at 1500 rpm followed by mad push. Car does 80 KMPH at around 1500 rpm in 5 th gear (right in turbo zone). I just need to gently tap the pedal and car picks up speeds effortlessly. Totally in love with 1.6
For at least the first 1000-2000kms that you drive, try not to push the rpm beyond 2000 by mad acceleration.
Allow the engine to "bed down" a bit and then start pushing your vehicle.
Better tactics to conserve the engine in its initial period.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 08:20   #4562
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,332
Thanked: 3,983 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For at least the first 1000-2000kms that you drive, try not to push the rpm beyond 2000 by mad acceleration.
Allow the engine to "bed down" a bit and then start pushing your vehicle.
Better tactics to conserve the engine in its initial period.
I have not gone above 100 KMPH buddy. 80-100 in 5 th gear lies between revv band of 1500-2000 rpm. Trick is to be in turbo zone and overtaking is effortless without downshifting
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 08:40   #4563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 377
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
Go for Shell if possible.

I have read that Shell diesel makes the cars more sluggish. I remember reading about this in the Swift thread. Is it true? Have people really faced sluggishness when refuelled at Shell?
balajisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 09:07   #4564
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,002
Thanked: 12,130 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have not gone above 100 KMPH buddy. 80-100 in 5 th gear lies between revv band of 1500-2000 rpm. Trick is to be in turbo zone and overtaking is effortless without downshifting
80-100 kmph in 5th gear should be between 1900 - 2300 RPM. In 6th gear 100 kmph would be around 1800 RPM.

Key is to be mild on the accelerator (No lugging by any means) to avoid sudden acceleration/braking. Keep varying speeds and NOT maintain a single speeds for distances plus follow the idling rule.

Be it DDiS200 or DDiS320, running-in period is as worse as waiting period (after booking and before delivery) for any car. But if followed generously, will reward you for life-time in terms of bullet-proof reliability and performance + FE.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 09:20   #4565
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,332
Thanked: 3,983 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
80-100 kmph in 5th gear should be between 1900 - 2300 RPM. In 6th gear 100 kmph would be around 1800 RPM.

Key is to be mild on the accelerator (No lugging by any means) to avoid sudden acceleration/braking. Keep varying speeds and NOT maintain a single speeds for distances plus follow the idling rule.

Be it DDiS200 or DDiS320, running-in period is as worse as waiting period (after booking and before delivery) for any car. But if followed generously, will reward you for life-time in terms of bullet-proof reliability and performance + FE.
No buddy!!

1.6 does good speeds at low RPM. I am sure RPM did not cross 2000 at 100 KMPH in 5 th gear I have decided not to go above 2500 RPM during run in period. Too difficult to resist, but I have to
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 09:22   #4566
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,181
Thanked: 18,521 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For at least the first 1000-2000kms that you drive, try not to push the rpm beyond 2000 by mad acceleration.
Allow the engine to "bed down" a bit and then start pushing your vehicle.
Better tactics to conserve the engine in its initial period.
2000 rpm is way too low. You have to stretch the engine as much during running in and not keep rpm's low. Lugging the engine at low rpm's is worse than stretching it to high rpm's. This is a common mistake which people make.

Ideally you should be using a good amount of the rev range, even 3,500 rpm is fine during run in as long as it's gradual acceleration. What you have to avoid is lugging the engine in a higher gear at lower speeds and sudden acceleration. Don't stamp the pedal and push it to high rpm, be gradual and smooth with the controls.

Driving under 2000 rpm during initial run in not at all needed.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 09:29   #4567
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,980
Thanked: 12,290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
I have read that Shell diesel makes the cars more sluggish. I remember reading about this in the Swift thread. Is it true? Have people really faced sluggishness when refuelled at Shell?
I have been sticking to Shell whenever possible for the last 50k kms or more. No issues faced till now. May be it's psychological, but I feel this engine performs (smoother engine feel) the best with Shell.

PS- Mine is a 1.3 90hp Punto, same engine as in SCross 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is a common mistake which people make.
+1.

I believe it's best to drive as you normally would, without trying to be too aware of the break in period!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th May 2016 at 09:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 09:48   #4568
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,332
Thanked: 3,983 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
2000 rpm is way too low. You have to stretch the engine as much during running in and not keep rpm's low. Lugging the engine at low rpm's is worse than stretching it to high rpm's. This is a common mistake which people make.

Ideally you should be using a good amount of the rev range, even 3,500 rpm is fine during run in as long as it's gradual acceleration. What you have to avoid is lugging the engine in a higher gear at lower speeds and sudden acceleration. Don't stamp the pedal and push it to high rpm, be gradual and smooth with the controls.

Driving under 2000 rpm during initial run in not at all needed.
1.6 feels strained only below 1500 RPM. There is good power at 2000 rpm itself unlike 1.3. I had to change my overtaking maneuvers in 1.6 . There is no need to downshift if you are in turbo zone.

As you said, I don't feel driving under 2000 RPM is necessary. But I have decided not to cross 2500 RPM. 1.6 would do 120 KMPH at 2000 RPM (6 th gear) and 2500 RPM (5 th gear).

Manual says

1. Not to full throttle immediately after starting the car
2. Avoid hard braking
3. Avoid constant speed for prolonged time
4. Do not drive slowly in a high gear

These precautions to be followed for first 960 KM.
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 10:30   #4569
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 389
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Does anyone have any idea on the power to weight ratio and torque to weight of the S Cross 1.6? And also, how does this compare with the power to weight ratio of the Figo twins?
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 10:37   #4570
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,980
Thanked: 12,290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on the power to weight ratio and torque to weight of the S Cross 1.6? And also, how does this compare with the power to weight ratio of the Figo twins?
Figo 1.5 diesel - 98 bhp/ton. 213 Nm/ton.
SCross 1.6 diesel - 94 bhp/ton. 256 Nm/ton.

Figo is good for the price, but no match for the SCross when it comes to torque.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th May 2016 at 10:38.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 10:41   #4571
MCR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 680
Thanked: 154 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I am planning to swap my 2.5 years old Honda City SV iDTEC with S-Cross Zeta 1.3 LE.

The main reasons are;

1. Pathetic overall build quality and feel of Honda city.
2. Niggles every now and then (Audio system getting reset, rattles from the boot, etc.)
3. Average ride quality.

I don't know whether S-Cross is built well or not (as compared to City), but looking at the reviews here it looks like it checks most of the boxes, i.e build quality, niggle free, good ride quality (other than lower powered engine, may be).

Waiting for the weekend to take a TD.
MCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 10:47   #4572
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,002
Thanked: 12,130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on the power to weight ratio and torque to weight of the S Cross 1.6? And also, how does this compare with the power to weight ratio of the Figo twins?
Not sure how accurate these figures are:

Kerb Weight:
Creta 1.4 - 1260 kgs,
Creta 1.6 - 1290 kgs
S-Cross 1.3 - 1205 kgs,
S-Cross 1.6 - 1275 kgs
Figo – 1060 kgs,
Figo Aspire - 1035 kgs

Power to Weight Ratio (PS/ton):*
Creta 1.4 - 71,
Creta 1.6 - 99,
S-Cross 1.3 - 74,
S-Cross 1.6 - 92
Figo - 94
Aspire - 97

Torque to Weight Ratio (Nm/ton):*
Creta 1.4 - 175,
Creta 1.6 - 202,
S-Cross 1.3 - 166,
S-Cross 1.6 - 251
Figo - 203
Aspire - 208


SOURCE:

http://www.carcomparos.com/2015/09/h...cross.html?m=1

http://www.carcomparos.com/2015/08/f...rison.html?m=1

http://www.carcomparos.com/2015/10/n...rison.html?m=1

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th May 2016 at 10:48.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 11:02   #4573
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,476
Thanked: 1,342 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I got my 1.6 S-Cross Alpha today.
Congratulations Naren.
Best looking S-cross till date.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
To all the proud owners of the SCross 1.6-Where is the engine oil filter located?? Is the filter different from the ones used in the 1.3s??

Regards,
Shashi
Shashi,

Oil filter location is hard to see from top.
Location is left bottom side of the battery.
To access it, you need to open the engine protection cover.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ideally you should be using a good amount of the rev range, even 3,500 rpm is fine during run in as long as it's gradual acceleration. What you have to avoid is lugging the engine in a higher gear at lower speeds and sudden acceleration. Don't stamp the pedal and push it to high rpm, be gradual and smooth with the controls.
.
Viddy Well put.
Would like to add : Avoid sudden braking as much as possible. This is worse than revving an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Figo 1.5 diesel - 98 bhp/ton. 213 Nm/ton.
SCross 1.6 diesel - 94 bhp/ton. 256 Nm/ton.

Figo is good for the price, but no match for the SCross when it comes to torque.
Sujai,

In real scenario, these numbers don't add much value.
If its not in the usable range then it doesn't make sense.

Off the blocks, 0-100 - Its Figo all the way.
60 ~ 160 DDIS 320 can leave many high end cars in dust.
kpzen is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 11:11   #4574
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,980
Thanked: 12,290 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sujai,

In real scenario, these numbers don't add much value.
If its not in the usable range then it doesn't make sense.

Off the blocks, 0-100 - Its Figo all the way.
60 ~ 160 DDIS 320 can leave many high end cars in dust.
Depends on our expectations as well. I am very well used to the turbo lag with the VGT 1.3 itself. Plus the initial two gears in the FIAT are totally wrong. I was perfectly at home with the 1.6 SCross even for city test drives. I did not even get to experience speeds about 100. 1.6 felt like the 1.3 VGT except that when the power comes in, it really does in truckloads!

In fact, I was so at home driving this car- the sales person commented that I'm the first one to drive the car the way it's meant to be driven. Others either lug it or unnecessarily push it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 11:18   #4575
BHPian
 
pannags's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 389 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Best wheel setup on S-cross till date.
Tried Sx4 wheels for my S-cross today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Momo makes some sturdy and classy alloys too .headturners indeed
You cars look transformed! Just can't believe the folks at Maruti gave this one a miss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Dealer has installed new alloys. This has totally transformed the looks of S-Cross.
Congratulations doctor!!! Your S-Cross indeed looks stunning.

I'm thinking if we should have a separate thread for pictures of S-Cross(es) with alloys swapped!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38) .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 1220 25th July 2015 11:33
Fiat Avventura vs VW Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford EcoSport a4anurag Hatchbacks 14 16th July 2015 10:22
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio devarshi84 What Car? 19 4th December 2014 03:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks