Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 22nd May 2016, 10:00   #4651
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
For me the number is 1S zero zero only and it's the correct number.. What I feel is that he entered 'I' instead of 1 (one)
Yes, you are right. it is 1 S Zero Zero.
I tired multiple variations trial and error, entering the same number again and again. Sometimes there is no response either. Eventually I got it right. Page is a bit buggy I guess . Refreshing your page before attempting to enter the VIN again helps, if it showed "Incomplete Chassis Number" on your earlier attempt.

Mods: Please delete my earlier post. I should have been a bit more careful. I Apologize.
Mr.O is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:10   #4652
BHPian

Got a chance to lay my grubby paws on a S-Cross 1.6 Alpha yesterday. Had a short test drive in it and here are my observations.
  • To repeat what's become a cliche by now, the boost just off 2k rpm is just awesome. It is addictive. That said, it takes some time to program yourself to be prompt in downshifting especially when you have been spoilt by a car like the Polo GT which has a great midrange.
  • The car has decent torque for ambling about but when you want to zip through the gap in traffic youve got to downshift. Else by the time the engine spools up the gap will be gone.
  • I was impressed by the voice command demo. However it takes a bit of time to get the accent down.
  • I am not sure whether it was an overenthusiastic polish job but the black dash was just too shiny. I noticed this on when I had gone to another dealership as well.
  • Behind the wheel, I felt that the car was solid. Even when going over some rough patches, there was no unnecessary vibe from the steering column. The ride was great too.
  • Coming off the Polo, I did not feel any issues adjusting to the size of the car and as able to judge the width and length quite well in a few minutes.
  • The front seats are quite supportive but I feel that the back seats could gave been better contoured. You do not get the feeling of sitting in them rather sitting on them.
  • Legroom was very good in the back seat.
  • Really liked the tilt and telescopic feature on the steering. Allows you to get to a good seating position very easily.
  • Liked the armrest. Very intutive. Unlike the one in the Vento which always manages to foul with your elbow when shifting gears.
  • Shape is a bit bland, offend no one type. Must has been said about the alloys, but after reading the aerodynamic approaches in the brochure, I wonder whether form had been sacrifices in the interest of lowering the air resistance around the wheels and getting better fuel efficiency figures. And more closed and they would have one of those hybrid car alloys.
  • The Nexa executives are better than in my last experience which means Maruti is listening. Nexa may do to entry level luxury brands in India, what Lexus did to the luxury brands in the US.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 10:51   #4653
BHPian

Any one from Bangalore received the call from dealers for the S-Cross brake part replacement as a part of the recall?. I called the SA two days back and got the answer that they are waiting for the parts from Maruti and once they receive that, will call individual owners for the replacement.

But, in another post, read that Maruti has already made available the required parts with all dealers and then only the recall news was put out.

Any updates?
Sree73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:01   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Rear parcel tray can be split to access boot from rear seat in S-Cross. But I found it is the culprit for rattles from rear. Whenever I drive on bad roads, portion of parcel tray which can be split vibrates leading to rattle. Any solution?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 22nd May 2016 at 11:04.
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:08   #4655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Rear parcel can be split to access boot from rear seat in S-Cross. But I found it is the culprit for rattles from rear. Whenever I drive on bad roads, portion of parcel tray which can be split vibrates leading to rattle. Any solution?
I have placed a heavy leather box for paper napkins on the parcel tray. It may help. But, another nuisance will crop up. Since the parcel tray is flat without any raised outer edges, the box ends up in the rear seat during a slight hard braking

Also, please see the two clips at both ends of the parcel tray (which helps it to be anchored to the body) are pressed correctly and tight. If those clips are not fitted properly, it will add to the rattle.
Sree73 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:11   #4656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rear parcel can be split to access boot from rear seat in S-Cross. But I found it is the culprit for rattles from rear. Whenever I drive on bad roads, portion of parcel tray which can be split vibrates leading to rattle. Any solution?
Try adding some kind of rubber boots to the page where the parcel tray meets the body. I mean the paid cladding where the parcel tray sits.

Something in these lines:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...abin-boot.html (Honda Jazz DIY: Reducing rattles and custom lighting for the cabin & boot)
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 11:12   #4657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have placed a heavy leather box for paper napkins on the parcel tray. It may help. But, another nuisance will crop up. Since the parcel tray is flat without any raised outer edges, the box ends up in the rear seat during a slight hard braking

Also, please see the two clips at both ends of the parcel tray (which helps it to be anchored to the body) are pressed correctly and tight. If those clips are not fitted properly, it will add to the rattle.
I too thought about the same to keep some heavy object. Maruti should have designed it better. In my baleno tool kit is the culprit and in S-Cross, parcel tray
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:40   #4658
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
I too thought about the same to keep some heavy object. Maruti should have designed it better. In my baleno tool kit is the culprit and in S-Cross, parcel tray
So Dr.Naren what do you think is the ideal solution here? Is it better to keep it removed normally and use only when needed, though it is not an ideal solution.
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 12:44   #4659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
So Dr.Naren what do you think is the ideal solution here? Is it better to keep it removed normally and use only when needed, though it is not an ideal solution.
Haha!! Eliminate the culprit if couldn't be fixed

I have never used parcel tray in any of my cars till date. There would be little extra strain for AC/more time to cool if I remove parcel tray. I will try keeping 2 books behind the headrest and see if it would work.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:15   #4660
BHPian

Quote:
Haha!! Eliminate the culprit if couldn't be fixed

I have never used parcel tray in any of my cars till date. There would be little extra strain for AC/more time to cool if I remove parcel tray. I will try keeping 2 books behind the headrest and see if it would work.
Even the books will not serve the purpose, because they will get displaced (unless and until find a mechanism to tie them to headrests) when taking turns and eventually find their way into the rear seat even if the people sitting there do not like reading

Last edited by Sree73 : 22nd May 2016 at 13:24.
Sree73 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:32   #4661
Senior - BHPian

1.6 S-Cross gets respect only in this thread I believe

I am fed up with questions/opinion from friends and well wishers.

Mr. A : Did you pay around 15 lakhs for this Maruti car??

Mr. B : I don't think this car is worth 10 lakhs. It doesn't even look like it's worth so much ( Well I paid 14.5 and keep quiet)

Mr. C : Why didn't you consider Vitara Brezza? It looks very sporty.

Mr. D : This car would be a flop like Kizashi. 15 lakhs for Maruti is a big mistake.

My answer : Thanks for all the suggestions. Please come with me for a drive and you will understand the reason

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 22nd May 2016 at 13:33.
Dr.Naren is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:43   #4662
BHPian

Quote:

The moment the objective of purchase of car changes from 'satisfying self' to 'show casing to others', S-Cross will fail.

If one is concerned about the comfort / ease / space / fun to drive and safety, S-Cross will definitely live upto the expectation and if the concern changes to looks, it may have contenders.
Sree73 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:01   #4663
BANNED

Quote:

Mr. A : Did you pay around 15 lakhs for this Maruti car??

Mr. B : I don't think this car is worth 10 lakhs. It doesn't even look like it's worth so much ( Well I paid 14.5 and keep quiet)

Mr. C : Why didn't you consider Vitara Brezza? It looks very sporty.

Mr. D : This car would be a flop like Kizashi. 15 lakhs for Maruti is a big mistake.

My answer : Thanks for all the suggestions. Please come with me for a drive and you will understand the reason
Being a Kizashi owner, I completely understand what you're saying. That said, one drive is more than enough to completely spin their opinions the other way around and I'm guessing it is the same with the 1.6 S-Cross as well. I think it is the most under-rated car in production. It is quite fun to take someone on a drive and have their opinions change completely while they beg you to let them drive the car once in a while (especially when some of them own cars from the same segment)

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd May 2016 at 16:28.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 18:47   #4664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any one from Bangalore received the call from dealers for the S-Cross brake part replacement as a part of the recall?.
Yes, got a call yesterday but due tpo prior engagement could not make it.

Was told it is a Service campaign and not a recall.

Recall is when parts will be replaced.
Service campaign - The car will be checked and parts replaced if needed
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:34   #4665
BHPian

Quote:
Any one from Bangalore received the call from dealers for the S-Cross brake part replacement as a part of the recall?. I called the SA two days back and got the answer that they are waiting for the parts from Maruti and once they receive that, will call individual owners for the replacement.

But, in another post, read that Maruti has already made available the required parts with all dealers and then only the recall news was put out.

Any updates?
I got a call and appointment on Sunday. When I reached there at the appointed time, need to wait as there were many other S-crosses without appointment and the Kalyani Bannerghatta was struggling to manage them all. They have given appointment only to eight cars (assuming 1hr per car), but thrice that number turned up it seems. I myself saw more than 4 cars. And funnily, mine was the only 1.6 Reached at 11 in the morning and got out at 3:00pm. A waste of whole of weekend.

They changed the break cylinder, clips and oil to go with it. Its a recall and the parts are changed without any checking.

Also got my car washed and polished (so may be the delay). Came out happily at the end, thanks to Mr Shivraj, Kalyani Nexa. So, if you get a call on weekdays, the job should not take more than 1.5 hr.

Last edited by girishv : 23rd May 2016 at 06:37.
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote