Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2016, 10:52   #5851
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I will repeat this, even though it has been talked about million times before.

The Ride Quality, Suspension Setup (front row) and Brakes of S-Cross are outstanding !!! In the last few days, I got a chance to test hard cornering, urgent braking and driving on terrible surfaces. The experience is extremely satisfying.

I have to agree to an extent that the back-seat comfort is not the best, but not miserable also. Of course, there are hardly any cars in India, who can beat Innova's second row seat comfort IMO. Only if S-Cross 2nd row comfort could match that of Innova, it would have been a near perfect car.

Nearing 10,000 KMs mark soon (in 10 months), so getting ready for 3rd free service.
ajay_satpute is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 12:38   #5852
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mlore/Kasaragod
Posts: 1,489
Thanked: 2,234 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Say Hello to the most powerful 1.6 S-cross in India!!

Estimated figures : 150 BHP/ 390 NM

Vbox 0-100 : 9.7 Sec

Tune-O-Tronics Stage 1 remap

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-_20161006_122600.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4069008 (Maruti S-Cross 1.6L : Remapped by Tune-O-Tronics!)

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 6th October 2016 at 12:39.
Dr.Naren is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 14:06   #5853
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 456
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I will repeat this, even though it has been talked about million times before.



The Ride Quality, Suspension Setup (front row) and Brakes of S-Cross are outstanding !!! In the last few days, I got a chance to test hard cornering, urgent braking and driving on terrible surfaces. The experience is extremely satisfying..

Hi - Is there any problem with the rear suspension setup in the Scross? Asking this since you specifically talk about front.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 14:16   #5854
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Hi - Is there any problem with the rear suspension setup in the Scross? Asking this since you specifically talk about front.
There is no problem at all ! It is just that it is on the harder side and back seat passengers may feel a little bouncy, especially over rough patches. But honestly, I prefer this to the below par experience of traveling on the Honda City backseat. It could be just me, but yes, I was not comfortable at the end of the long journey in the City.

But yes, IMHO, Innova rocks in the 2nd row seat comfort ! Period! (No idea about Innova Crysta)
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 14:28   #5855
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 232
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The Ride Quality, Suspension Setup (front row) and Brakes of S-Cross are outstanding !!! In the last few days, I got a chance to test hard cornering, urgent braking and driving on terrible surfaces. The experience is extremely satisfying.

I have to agree to an extent that the back-seat comfort is not the best, but not miserable also. Of course, there are hardly any cars in India, who can beat Innova's second row seat comfort IMO. Only if S-Cross 2nd row comfort could match that of Innova, it would have been a near perfect car.
Agreed that the Innova's 2nd row seat is excellent, definitely better than the backseat of S-Cross. However, what I meant was that quality of seat alone does not contribute to the ride comfort. If the car itself moves more sideways on straight average quality concrete roads, compared to sedans like Etios for example, then it does not add to the comfort. I thought this might be due to seating height in Innova. I found a few elderly people complaining the same in Innova.

As per the official review of Honda city, it tends to bounce at high speeds at the back. My short test drive with S-Cross showed less vertical movement at the back.

Anyway, the question is if S-Cross at the back seat is more stable (in terms of sideways movement and vertical movement) on moderate roads than sedans of equivalent cost. An extended testdrive in S-Cross is due anyway.

Last edited by sups : 6th October 2016 at 14:30.
sups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 18:10   #5856
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 58
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Anyway, the question is if S-Cross at the back seat is more stable (in terms of sideways movement and vertical movement) on moderate roads than sedans of equivalent cost. An extended testdrive in S-Cross is due anyway.
Sitting at the back in the S-Cross is a better place to be if comparing it to the City or Verna. I can't say if it is better than the Ciaz or not. And if you also put the Vento in perspective, you would again be much happier in an S-Cross. I am talking about both seating comfort, lateral & vertical movement. Note that my S-Cross doesn't run on JK slippers and wears much sturdier Michellin P3ST shoes ever since the day of delivery. I can associate the JK Elanzo's softer sidewalls instead of the car's physique with any undue body roll when cornering. My old Ritz used to have a big body roll issue which disappeared after I replaced the stock tires with wider 195/65/R15 Michellin XM2+ rubbers.
sunejarahul is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 21:17   #5857
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
Sitting at the back in the S-Cross is a better place to be if comparing it to the City or Verna. I can't say if it is better than the Ciaz or not. And if you also put the Vento in perspective, you would again be much happier in an S-Cross. I am talking about both seating comfort, lateral & vertical movement. Note that my S-Cross doesn't run on JK slippers and wears much sturdier Michellin P3ST shoes ever since the day of delivery. I can associate the JK Elanzo's softer sidewalls instead of the car's physique with any undue body roll when cornering. My old Ritz used to have a big body roll issue which disappeared after I replaced the stock tires with wider 195/65/R15 Michellin XM2+ rubbers.

It is interesting you mention that SCross has better rear seating than a Vento. Did you also mean thigh support? I thought VWs have better thigh support than SCross...

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 22:46   #5858
BHPian
 
komalthecoolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 104
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Guys, without the intention of angering anyone, I have the following concern. You might see me on a few more forums as I'm browsing a lot looking for the ideal car. I had 2 test drives with the 1.3 Scross and they were total opposites. One very good and the other had a loud engine, horrible NVH (I looked out the passenger window multiple times to see if the window or door were open), the AC blower very loud. I am totally confused and scared if that will be how the car will turn up in a couple of years. Any long term owners here with similar or better experience with Scross?
komalthecoolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 23:08   #5859
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 42
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Guys, without the intention of angering anyone, I have the following concern. You might see me on a few more forums as I'm browsing a lot looking for the ideal car. I had 2 test drives with the 1.3 Scross and they were total opposites. One very good and the other had a loud engine, horrible NVH (I looked out the passenger window multiple times to see if the window or door were open), the AC blower very loud. I am totally confused and scared if that will be how the car will turn up in a couple of years. Any long term owners here with similar or better experience with Scross?
Hi- I would recommend you to take couple of more test drives probably a different set of cars so that you will get a better feel of how the car behaves. From my personal opinion the NVH is better controlled and I am sure no cars in this range give you a fool proof sound insulation. In scross it is bearable and a bit of music should completely negate it. The AC blower gets louder when you keep it in maximum or in auto mode when you switch on when it is too hot, it becomes noisy. Incidentally I was driving my colleagues Honda city today and was complaining to him that the road noise is heard inside the cabin and was frequently checking whether all windows are rolled up!

On a personal note the ideal car can only he chosen by you and others opinion can only count to an extent as every car has its own pros and cons. As others have recommended kindly do multiple test drives and choose the one which you feel is ideal for you. All the very best for your search and purchase😊
Ananthc is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 23:14   #5860
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 515
Thanked: 665 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Guys, without the intention of angering anyone, I have the following concern. You might see me on a few more forums as I'm browsing a lot looking for the ideal car. I had 2 test drives with the 1.3 Scross and they were total opposites. One very good and the other had a loud engine, horrible NVH (I looked out the passenger window multiple times to see if the window or door were open), the AC blower very loud. I am totally confused and scared if that will be how the car will turn up in a couple of years. Any long term owners here with similar or better experience with Scross?
I cannot comment about the S-Cross, but I have been driving a DDiS 200 engined SX4 for the past 5 years. Have logged close to 90,000 km.
The engine is still so buttery-smooth that I have simply refused to upgrade (or downgrade??) to an S-Cross/Vitara Brezza even after multiple test drives.
Touch wood, but I have had no problems with the engine/transmission/suspension so far.
Of course, I maintain the vehicle exactly as per the schedule and use lubricants exceeding the recommended specifications.

Now to answer your question, please go ahead and buy the vehicle, you will have years of satisfying trouble-free driving, provided your maintenance is as per the recommended schedule.

Why I am comparing the S-Cross to my SX4 is because the S-Cross shares its DNA with the SX4!

Please do not jump to conclusions based on test-drive vehicles; both you and I know how people (prospective customers and the not-so-prospective ones) abuse them!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 6th October 2016 at 23:15.
cpbopanna is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 23:25   #5861
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 58
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
It is interesting you mention that SCross has better rear seating than a Vento. Did you also mean thigh support? I thought VWs have better thigh support than SCross...

Regards
Bharath
My statement was in regard to a few things. First, I found Vento's rear seat back to be a tad too upright when I tried to lean back in a comfortable position. Second, the seat height was too low and it gave me a sunk-in feel and I was unable to get a good view out the front windscreen and ICE. Third, there is just not enough shoulder and legroom if you put the S-Cross in comparison. I experienced a similar crampy feel in the Verna's rear seat too, not so much in the City somehow.

Coming from a Ritz, you can imagine my family's preference towards the Jazz and the S-Cross. I am 5'10" tall, shortest of all males in the family, and we have almost always have under thigh support problems. It is better in the S-Cross than the sedans in this segment. My favourite seats still are those of my friend's Altis and my previous boss's Q5 :lol
sunejarahul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 17:19   #5862
Sip
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: HR 06
Posts: 96
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Today I had a trip to Dehradun (to and fro 300 kms) in my 1.6 Zeta. I wanted to test the car for milage especially in the long run for sedate drive and not so sedate driving. With total 2 people on board car consistently rendered milage over 20 inspite of few slopes. Also throttle input is most important determinant of milage (inversely proportional). And during not so sedate driving it provided milage around 18. Quite satisfying in both the cases. At curving slopes it moved confidently.

Also I happened to find a very steep slope (a bit frightening) continuously for appx 100 feet, car moved freely in 1st gear without any power loss indications. However I did not want to experiment by stopping it amidst this steep climb for I would try it only when forced to do so by situation!!
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 23:35   #5863
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 456
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed crusader View Post
Hi. Guess the fact that it is a 'Maruti' and a performance crossover or hatch and that it comes with all the bells and whistles makes it a unique product from the MSIL stable. Reliability power

Apart from the fact that it's from Maruti stable and has good power, we do not know about the reliability part since its a new engine from Maruti and we're far from long term ownership reports.

Once we have ownership reports at 30k and 60k, things will become clear. Hope it indeed is a reliable machine in the 1.6 avataar.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 00:08   #5864
BHPian
 
McLaren Roxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi/Thane/Mum
Posts: 104
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Also I happened to find a very steep slope (a bit frightening) continuously for appx 100 feet, car moved freely in 1st gear without any power loss indications. However I did not want to experiment by stopping it amidst this steep climb for I would try it only when forced to do so by situation!!
You should have tried it out so that you could have known how it would behave. You had the luxury to make mistakes.

Discovering that when there are people behind honking, could be nerve wracking, not to mention bad for your car too.
McLaren Roxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 09:43   #5865
Sip
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: HR 06
Posts: 96
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
You should have tried it out so that you could have known how it would behave. You had the luxury to make mistakes.

Discovering that when there are people behind honking, could be nerve wracking, not to mention bad for your car too.
OK next time I will check its behaviour at such slope. But as few fellow BHPians reported earlier it would involve clutch, brake and throttle in tandem. So clutch would have to pay a price. Also BHPian kpzen had explained that height above MSL of the operating place is also important factor as thinner air would increase difficulty level for engine.

Last edited by Sip : 8th October 2016 at 09:44.
Sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38) .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 1220 25th July 2015 11:33
Fiat Avventura vs VW Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford EcoSport a4anurag Hatchbacks 14 16th July 2015 10:22
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio devarshi84 What Car? 19 4th December 2014 03:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks