Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 29th April 2016, 12:34   #841
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can you guide me a bit on few questions about Aspire?
1. Do we have any discounts currently for Aspire top end in Blore ? How much would it cost OTR for T+ ?
2. I have booked a Baleno top end in Feb and also open for Jazz and Aspire top end but not sure if putting money on Aspire would be a wise decision though I seriously find it as a jack of all trades and master of none.

3. While I am not so worried about build quality vis-a vis the other contenders I have shortlisted as I am more or less sure that all are same, what I would be interested to know is does the Car look cheap as few of our bhpians have reported ?

You may be wondering as to why dont I go and check for all these answers myself. The answer is I am living abroad and I would be visiting India by end of May for a month. So, I dont have much time to cover all purchase aspects and considering any waiting time, I would like to do any required bookings now so that I can get the car while I am there.

Appreciate your responses.

Cheers..
Shiv
Are you looking for a petrol or diesel?
Here are my views on your queries:

1. There should be discounts running on the Figo/Aspire throughout all dealers. During festive season you might get a better deal. OTR prices in Bangalore can be obtained from some websites.

2.You are comparing different segments here. It all boils down to your requirement. Aspire comes in the CS segment while baleno and Jazz claim to be 'hot hatches'! In my opinion, Aspire is not jack of all trades. There are shortcomings but the USP include safety features not available in the other two. Handling, ride quality and dynamics are also very different. So it is not worth comparing. If you are looking for diesel versions, I would consider TDCi engine superior to DDiS engine in the Baleno or Honda's i-DTEC.

3. Built quality of Aspire is better than the other two (I have driven all the three). It doesn't look cheap either. Of course it is not perfect and there is lots of room for improvement.
Jazz looks spacious and practical, especially if you get the top-end VX version.
Everyone have their own choices and preferences. It is always better to check the cars at the dealer and do a test drive before you make any purchase decision.
sudhirnam is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 17:51   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can you guide me a bit on few questions about Aspire?
1. Do we have any discounts currently for Aspire top end in Blore ? How much would it cost OTR for T+ ?

2. I have booked a Baleno top end in Feb and also open for Jazz and Aspire top end but not sure if putting money on Aspire would be a wise decision though I seriously find it as a jack of all trades and master of none.

3. While I am not so worried about build quality vis-a vis the other contenders I have shortlisted as I am more or less sure that all are same, what I would be interested to know is does the Car look cheap as few of our bhpians have reported ?
I assume you have posted the same question in the other cars' threads as well, but I can tell you why you should choose the Aspire.

1) I'm sure there will be discounts on offer as the Aspire is not selling as well as the other two. But that is because of poor marketing, not the car.

2) Where Aspire scores over both is in the Diesel engine - it's miles ahead of the Baleno and the Jazz. The petrol engine is poorer with regards to peppiness, but scores in mileage and is very very silent. None of the others offer 6-airbags and the emergency calling system.

Looks are subjective but I think the Aspire looks the best of the lot. But the Baleno with the DRLs is just as good. Jazz does not appeal to me.

3) The build quality of the Aspire is actually better than the other two. Sheet metal thickness of all 3 may be the same, but the endoskeleton of the Aspire is better than the other two (same as the other Fords). I say this from experience - I had a major accident and got away without a scratch, and none of us felt any major impact inside the car.

The car does not look cheap at all - as long as you choose the correct colour for you. DRLs would have enhanced the looks a lot, though.

Finally, if resale value is of concern to you, then do not buy the Aspire - but I believe the Aspire will age better than the other 2.
samaspire is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 22:23   #843
BHPian

I did a test drive of Aspire diesel at Kairali Ford, Thrissur. Liked the performance of the car. It was cruising at 50kmph in 5th gear without any accelerator input! But the clutch was hard as my 6 year old Swift vdi, which is a major concern for me. I think I clutch travel is also long. The SA told that clutch is hard as it is a test drive car and people abuse it. What's the opinion of Aspire users regarding the heavyness of clutch. For me it's a fight between AMT Zest and Aspire.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 01:41   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I assume you have posted the same question in the other cars' threads as well, but I can tell you why you should choose the Aspire.

You re right and that's pretty much because I am a bit confused now. Each of these cars has there own strong and week points and so what I am trying to do is to re confirm if the weak point imo is really a weak point and same with strong ones too..

Listening it from the horse's ( read owners) mouth has no replacement. Thanks for your write up btw.

Cheers..
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:49   #845
BHPian

Isn't Ford's Ingot Silver the silverest / shiniest silver out there. It definitely stands out. On the road and at my office parking I see many silver cars but I can vouch that Ingot silver is the most sparkling of them. Not sure if this is because it is a relatively new car or some kind of biasness The tail lights, black side orvms, front grill, black fog surrounds and the dark side protection does present a nice contrast.

This after I have been pretty careless with the cosmetics of my car. I did not get a paint protection done Just one round of waxing in the last 9 months at 3M. I just dust the car with Jopasu everyday, a wet wipe in a week or two and commercial washing once in two months.

One dawback is - I was looking for ingot silver online for some touchup job and could not find it. Other silvers are very much available.

Last edited by AKTRACK : 2nd May 2016 at 17:52. Reason: additional info
AKTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:30   #846
Senior - BHPian

Had a long(ish) test drive in a Revv self-drive Aspire (Trend variant). Had the car for FIVE days and drove ~700 kms. Observations (using our 2010 Figo 1.2P for some comparisons):

The Good

1. The engine is a stonker. Accelerates like its tail is on fire and pulls like a locomotive even in top gear. There's turbo-lag in 2nd-gear at low revs, but nothing a little clutch-slipping won't fix!

2. Lovely tractability in 3rd/4th gear, in-gear acceleration is explosive, there's no other word to explain it. The car crawls without A-pedal input in 1st/2nd gear. Traffic-buster!

4. Steering is the perfect size, excellently contoured and not too bad to use. It's no match to the erstwhile HPS unit, but it's nowhere near as nervous as the dead dodo on my ex Hyundai (even current ones actually, if my recent drive in an i20 is anything to go by). On the same patch of tarmac in/around Coorg (Madikeri) driving my Hyundai, I was constantly correcting steering input on the twisties, this one's sure-footed by comparison. Our 1st-gen Figo is unmatched though.

5. Ergonomics are pretty much spot-on, though I'd prefer a higher seat setting and some amount of lumbar support for the lower back. I know higher variants have seat-height adjustment, but lumbar support?

6. Fantastic A/C. The only time it struggled was after several hours parked in an open parking lot at noon, but that happens to all cars.

7. Stock ICE is good enough for non-audiophiles. BT Sync worked flawlessly, sound quality was pretty decent too.

8. Cabin space mgmt. is great. Door-pads can hold TWO bottles plus knick-knacks each, plus cup holders and a bottle holder in the between-seats console. Fantastic compared to competition. Rear bench is spacious.

9. Ride quality is good/acceptable, though it gets a bit wallowy on uneven tarmac. Still MUCH better than some of the competition.

The Bad

1. Build quality is (much) worse than the last-gen Fords, no argument. Panel gaps are inconsistent in some places, some panels are downright flimsy. Take the branding off and someone who's never seen the car before will guess "Maruti".

2. Exposed bare metal and rough edges in multiple places, esp. around door & boot corners. Not cool.

3. Control stalks are flimsy and hard, tactility is horrible. Dashboard controls are MUCH better tactility-wise, but still feel flimsy. The A/C knobs flex beyond their end-points while rotating and feel like they could break easily with rough handling.

4. Instrument cluster is uninspiring in lower variants. Not too much information available on MID and clubbed with the horrible control stalk, a real chore to use. I only used it to set the trip-meter, then left it well-alone.

5. The shade of beige used in the interiors is terrible. Give me all-black any day or at least use a pleasant(er) beige.

6. Rattles and squeaks in a ~16k km run car? Mind, I'm not referring to stuff that will rattle/squeak with abuse. I noticed the rear suspension struts had a PVC pipe-like outer covering that rattled/squeaked horribly at anything except minimal travel. Is that OEM or was it something the rental car company did to the car?

7. The boot-lid is a disaster. Why couldn't Ford keep the hydraulic setup from the pre-production spec? How much does it really cost? The current setup ruins a sizable amount of boot-space.

8. Poor plastic feel, poor quality in some places too. Plastic door-pads flex visibly on windows roll-down/up.

9. NVH is nothing to write home about. I don't mind the engine growl filtering into the cabin, but the better half was annoyed after 50-odd kms of spirited driving.

10. Clutch recoil is aggressive, esp. in lower gears. I initially though it was my relative inexperience with a torquey diesel, but it didn't get better with practice. I'm not sure it will be very comfortable in B2B traffic for too long.

11. Gear-shifts are neither quick not slick, just about acceptable. Not the car to be in if one's doing a drag, the box can't keep up with the torque-monster engine.

Summary

I'm currently car-less by choice for over a year, but a recent experience with Zoomcar has made me rethink my decision. I love our Figo even with its anemic engine, and the new Figo twins are close to top of my consideration list. While I love the engine and ergonomics of the new car, there are plenty of turn-offs for an existing Ford customer. I'm in no hurry to buy, so will test-drive the competition at leisure. I'd love to have this engine mated to the 1st-gen Figo chassis, or how about using a Punto shell instead?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd May 2016 at 18:58. Reason: Grammar & additional points
Chetan_Rao is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:43   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Had a long(ish) test drive in a Revv self-drive Aspire (Trend variant). Had the car for FIVE days and drove ~700 kms. Observations (using our 2010 Figo 1.2P for some comparisons):

Summary[/u][/b]

I'm currently car-less by choice for over a year, but a recent experience with Zoomcar has made me rethink my decision. I love our Figo even with its anemic engine, and the new Figo twins are close to top of my consideration list. While I love the engine and ergonomics of the new car, there are plenty of turn-offs for an existing Ford customer. I'm in no hurry to buy, so will test-drive the competition at leisure. I'd love to have this engine mated to the 1st-gen Figo chassis, or how about using a Punto shell instead?
Good observations and nicely put too. I agree with most of what you liked and disliked of the Aspire.
I feel the NVH levels are decent and none of my passengers have complained so far. The engine clatters on start and some noise seeps in at low revs but once in motion it is hard to detect inside the cabin. Also, I have not had a single rattle after driving around 7000 km.
sudhirnam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 15:36   #848
BHPian

Got a call for the Software update today from my service center!! It has been some 10-15 days since they initiated a recall. Now, this proactivity is what gets to my nerves
Old 4th May 2016, 18:36   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Got a call for the Software update today from my service center!! It has been some 10-15 days since they initiated a recall. Now, this proactivity is what gets to my nerves
Sorry buddy, I am not sure if I clearly understood your point here?!?

Are you saying that it was bad on the part of Ford that they called you for the recall 10-15 days later after initiating the recall pan India?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 21:40   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry buddy, I am not sure if I clearly understood your point here?!?

Are you saying that it was bad on the part of Ford that they called you for the recall 10-15 days later after initiating the recall pan India?
Yes! I was trying sarcasm. Guess I failed miserably Between, this is dealer specific as I can see that lot of people have got the emails and calls long time back. Only my dealer seems to have taken a long time. I am going for the update tomorrow. The lady on the other side said it would take 30-60 minutes.
Old 8th May 2016, 10:30   #851
Team-BHP Support

I got a call from Mody Ford around 2 weeks ago requesting me to come down for the RCM update.

They said it will take 60-90 minutes and I have been terribly busy with work and travel so couldn't personally go and since my work is ever increasing, I booked an appointment on Tuesday to have the car picked up and get this update done

So, Blue Bombardier should be "Updated" couple of days from now
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 08:34   #852
BHPian

Gentlemen, please direct me to the posts detailing how to fix the rear view can and music system in my New Figo 1.5D Base without splicing the wire and voiding warranty.
COMMUTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 10:47   #853
BHPian

Noticed 3 new TVCs from Ford with the common tagline 'Feels like family for a change' in the last couple of days in a leading Bengali TV channel. I hope they are airing the ads on the national channels too.

It is good to see that they have concentrated on the aspect of the cost of services also. The other two are about the Figo and Ecosport.Aspire or the new Endeavour are yet to be there.

It is good to see Ford highlighting 100ps power and fuel efficiency figures in the short Figo TVC rather than ranting about 'lifestyle' things.However they should have aggressively marketed the 6 airbags too,as it is still one of the major differentiating factors from the competitors.Same thing goes with the Ecosport.Build quality,power and safety should have been highlighted too,rather than only the ground clearance factor.However lets hope they follow it up with more such ads and more importantly sustain their marketing efforts,which they are known to fail miserably in.
dragonov007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 17:19   #854
BHPian

One of my friends is looking out for a compact sedan. preferably petrol. He was telling me Amaze is almost a lakh more than Aspire (Amaze SX vs Aspire Trend) and Aspire seems pretty good value for money compared to even DZire and Zest. But worried about low resale value of Aspire as sales seem pretty low. What do petrol Aspire owners feel? Any strong points of Aspire petrol compared to competition? Is it good VFM? Is mileage and maintenance good?
sanchari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 19:36   #855
BHPian

Got second free service done for my Aspire today, My car records were showing as petrol 1.2 DVT after it came back from servicing, when I spoke to one of the Talera Ford managers he confidently said petrol and diesel additives are almost the same, should I be worried? because I have a feeling that the Filter Oil and Engine Oil have been replaced and it could be for petrol car.

They did this despite repeatedly informing them to update my car record to diesel instead of petrol in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonov007 View Post
It is good to see that they have concentrated on the aspect of the cost of services also. The other two are about the Figo and Ecosport.Aspire or the new Endeavour are yet to be there.
It makes me wonder what is going on inside Ford? because somehow they themselves do not have confidence in up selling Aspire and probably it is already considered as a lost cause.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th May 2016 at 20:46. Reason: B2B posts merged.
KreativeGeek is offline   Reply With Quote