Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th December 2015, 11:18   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Kwid : Official Review

Renault to showcase the Kwid 1.0 and AMT versions at the Auto Expo.

If they can ramp and sustain production and after sales, Maruti will definitely be under pressure. There is also a rumour that the 1.0 will have ABS and Airbags as standard. Would be good to have AT alternatives in the ~4L price range considering that Hyundai not really taking too much interest in the AT space.

Quote:
French car maker Renault, which has seen strong response to its small car Kwid, is set to take the battle further on to market leader Maruti Suzuki's turf by taking the covers off the 1-litre and automated manual transmission (AMT) versions of the model at the auto show in February.

The 1-litre and the clutch-less AMT versions of Kwid will be pitted against Maruti's Alto K10 and K10 AMT that are priced at Rs 3.2-3.72 lakh and about Rs 4 lakh, respectively. The price for another version of the Alto strapped with a 796cc engine starts at Rs 2.52 lakh.
Source: ET Auto
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 04:32   #272

I would like to share some of my experience on my recent visit to the Renault showroom for a test drive of the Kwid.

1) Showroom/Outlet Experience : I must tell it was one of the least pleasant experience.. I had been to the Showroom in Vashi Navi mumbai on Palm Beach road. It took almost 40 mins to get things moving and then finally did get someone to attend me for the test drive. I think Renault Really Really needs to work on customer experience making more effective considering their limited reach to buyers as compared to Maruti or Hyundai and others. Secondly I get a call from the sales guy after 1 month of taking the test drive. I being in sales myself found it funny on such a lousy follow up.

Now about the Car:
2) The car is peppy to drive but its too noisy. is very nicely priced and good features are a plus especially the Navigation System. Boot space is huge. Rear seating is fairly good. I am 6.2 feet and dint find it discomforting. However I personally feel it wont be a game changer until they launch the 1 ltr since this does feel a lot under powered so I guess it going to eat up alto 800 and Nano sales to some extent.

Elvis
elvis_83 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 23:37   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
...It also throws out stats since the last reset - distance traveled, average speed, litres consumed & average fuel consumption:
I know its only over 4.5 kms but the FE shows a pretty low 7.6 kmpl. Surprising considering the avg speed indicated isn't that low and the TD doesn't seem to be in bumper to bumper land.

I wonder if you observed better stats over longer drives.
Axe77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 23:50   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I know its only over 4.5 kms but the FE shows a pretty low 7.6 kmpl. Surprising considering the avg speed indicated isn't that low and the TD doesn't seem to be in bumper to bumper land.

I wonder if you observed better stats over longer drives.
It was a lot of idling then 5kms of empty roads. Most of the time when shooting interiors we keep the AC on especially in Goa.

Ignore these trip readings as the use case is a lot of idling, red lining. If you see the range shows 390kms. We actually almost ran out of fuel in under 200kms of driving. That's the reason the review doesn't have the mileage mentioned anywhere.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:05   #275
Team-BHP Support

Renault has increased the price of the Kwid hatchback.

The Kwid was launched in September at ex-showroom (Delhi) prices starting from Rs. 2.57 lakh. The base (STD) variant of the car is now priced at Rs. 2.60 lakh. The RXE, which was priced at Rs. 2.89 lakh at launch, now costs Rs. 2.96 lakh. The RXE (O) variant is now priced at Rs. 3.03 lakh - Rs. 9,000 more than before. The price of the RXL variant has gone up from Rs. 3.12 lakh to Rs. 3.21 lakh. The RXT and RXT (O) trim levels are now priced at Rs. 3.54 lakh and Rs. 3.64 lakh respectively. At launch, they were priced at Rs. 3.44 lakh and Rs. 3.53 lakh respectively.

The Kwid has become the best-selling Renault car in India. The company is reported to have received more than 80,000 bookings for the car. There is a waiting list of more than six months and Renault is planning to ramp up production to meet the demand. It is expecting to sell more than 1 lakh units in 2016 if the demand remains strong.

The Kwid is powered by an 800cc, 3-cylinder petrol engine mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The car is likely to get a 1.0-litre engine and an automated manual transmission in the coming months.

The Kwid competes with the Maruti Suzuki Alto and Hyundai Eon in the entry-level hatchback segment.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:32   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Renault has increased the price of the Kwid hatchback.

The Kwid competes with the Maruti Suzuki Alto and Hyundai Eon in the entry-level hatchback segment.
So finally Renault has done it and the post is here . Ever since I booked the car, and saw the booking count increasing, knew that a price hike is just around the corner. Glad that its not a steep hike!
Given that Maruti/Hyundai has also increased price of Alto/Eon by similar percentage I don't expect any significant impact on demand for Kwid.

Being a little too optimistic and putting across this query(even though I know the chances are very less). Is there a price protection for people who are in waiting list?
PrideRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:46   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Being a little too optimistic and putting across this query(even though I know the chances are very less). Is there a price protection for people who are in waiting list?
AFAIK, irrespective of the price at the time of advance booking, we need to pay the price and taxes applicable on the day of invoicing.

This holds good for all cars.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 17:50   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
AFAIK, irrespective of the price at the time of advance booking, we need to pay the price and taxes applicable on the day of invoicing.

This holds good for all cars.
I know and same had happened to me while buying Ecosport. However if I remember correctly, Renault were kind enough to provide price protection(during one of the multiple hikes) to people who were waiting to lay their hands on Renault Duster.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 19:59   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I know and same had happened to me while buying Ecosport. However if I remember correctly, Renault were kind enough to provide price protection(during one of the multiple hikes) to people who were waiting to lay their hands on Renault Duster.
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

This is like hedging (also called "Forward Buying"). We normally do this for shares, gold, foreign currency etc.

Anyway, this is good for the buyers and increases the respect for the company.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 12:27   #280
BHPian

20 units of KWID has been exported to 7 countries for R&D purpose since Aug'15. Note that the shipment includes both 800cc and 1000cc

Name:  KWID.jpg
Views: 3787
Size:  22.4 KB
Note: Romania - 1 Unit is hidden

Renault Kwid : Official Review-kwid-1.jpg
zauba.com

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 14th January 2016 at 12:31.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 13:55   #281
BHPian

Team Renault,
This is the best news in some time.
Indian consumers made you run, designing Go from a scratch to lacklustre Datsun sales to the birth of Kwid. Now voila you have a successful product. Compared to Nano which may sell some in Nepal & Africa, but you like GM Beat will now enjoy a developed world audience.
Indian needs have not changed, it is just you and GM who matched it with a suitable product and now have another global success.
ritz3645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 19:41   #282
BHPian

Thumbs down Renault DIMAPUR - NIGHTMARE

I had booked the Renault KWID using the KWID app on 26th of September, 2015. In the 2nd week of October, I went to the DIMAPUR dealership to confirm my booking as I had been caught up in some other works through September. I met up with the Sales Rep. over there, RAJESH DAS, who greeted me warmly, sat me down, and took down my booking number. I was number 85 or thereabouts in the booking list.

The sales rep. told me that he would have it delivered to me by December 1st week, positively before Christmas. However, due to the floods in Chennai, my order was delayed.

Visited the dealer before New Year and sales rep. confirmed that he'd have it delivered to me by the 2nd week of January.The 2nd week of January came and passed and no calls (as expected). I called up my sales rep. and he said, delivery by end of January.

I called up today, and the sales rep. RAJESH DAS, told me that -

Sir, I have already sent a mail to Renault but they themselves are not shipping the cars we have ordered from Chennai. They said that they will ship after manufacturing the next lot. You please send them an email asking them to send you your order on a priority basis sir.

So, I sent a mail to Renault, called them up as well, and just a few minutes back received a call back again from Renault stating that they will look into the root of the matter and provide me with a solution within 24 hours. So, waiting for the call back from Renault as of now or will cancel booking with Renault DIMAPUR.

By the way, I got a call from them near the 2nd week of January, the Sales Rep. called me up and told me "Sir, we have one car available, it's not the same color you ordered but it's the top model sir. We can't keep it for more than a day so we need your confirmation whether you will take this car instead of the one you ordered." I refused to take the car blindly as I thought they might be trying to pull a fast one on me and trying to sell me the TD car. And now I'm regretting not taking that option as now I have to go through this mess with very little hopes of getting my car now.

One thing this ordeal has taught me - NEVER ORDER FROM RENAULT DIMAPUR UNLESS YOU'RE A LOCAL RESIDENT. Dad wanted to get a Duster as well, no way I'm letting him get into the same situation as me. I'm sharing my experience here so that other people who might be thinking of ordering from this dealer could learn from my foolishness and look elsewhere to book their cars.
wadewilson is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 23:46   #283
BHPian

Default Re: Renault DIMAPUR - NIGHTMARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
I had booked the Renault KWID using the KWID app on 26th of September, 2015.
Sorry to know about the long waiting and the subsequent frustration.

From your description, this appears to be a case of car already having some waiting period, which has increased further due to Chennai floods. What exactly made you disappointed with the dealer? Do you have any doubts that the dealer diverted your vehicle to someone else?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 00:07   #284
BHPian

Not actually a nightmare, sir. This is expected for a high demand car (that is what all sources on internet say, and I have seen only one on road till now) and Chennai floods made the matter worse for you.

Dealership isn't actually to be blamed here as they are responding to you and have clarified at least that they are not recieving any cars from the plant, and you can mail to the higher ups and confirm. I think this is co-operation of the dealer. There is nothing so wrong since the Kwid already has a decent backlog and your order will take time. Tell your SA to give you a fix date instead of fake promises, and you don't mind waiting a bit more for actual date of car delivery instead of getting disappointed at every promised date. By reading your opening post, I believe strongly that he will help you. So, calm down and let things go their natural way. I personally think that you are expecting too much.

PS. You could have inspected the car which was offered to you and decided accordingly. Maybe that was a cancelled booking, we have to be pro-active in such cases.
swift_guy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 08:50   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Sorry to know about the long waiting and the subsequent frustration.

What exactly made you disappointed with the dealer? Do you have any doubts that the dealer diverted your vehicle to someone else?
Thank you for understanding. Actually, another person from my town also ordered from Renault Dimapur. He had family there in the city (Dimapur) and he was also a sort of resident you could say I guess, and even though his booking was later than mine, he got the car delivered to him, the top model RXT variant. This was one of the causes of my disappointment with the dealer. Because the sales rep. could have just truthfully told me that I am being made to wait while the cars are delivered to the local residents first.

Another cause of disappointment was that when I went to see my name in their booking list, the serial number I was in, I saw tick marks above and below my name (indicating that they were delivered to the buyer). I asked my sales rep. about this and he told me, "Sir, we have delivered those cars because they were of the lower variant". And that left me dumbstruck, because almost all of the Kwid's I saw in the city were of the top variant, RXT. So, I wondered to myself, where could all these elusive RXE Kwid's be? I was number 84 on the list, I was deeply saddened, tearful even seeing the list.

I was really happy with the fact that I'd be getting a Kwid by January and completely understood the flood situation. However, what kept me really disappointed was the question that, if there really was a shortage in December, how could they deliver the car to the other person from my town in December and not me also? Thank you for lending a sympathetic ear. I wanted to share it on our forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Not actually a nightmare, sir. This is expected for a high demand car.

Dealership isn't actually to be blamed here as they are responding to you and have clarified at least that they are not receiving any cars from the plant, and you can mail to the higher ups and confirm. Tell your SA to give you a fix date instead of fake promises... I believe strongly that he will help you. So, calm down and let things go their natural way. I personally think that you are expecting too much.
Thank you for lending a sympathetic ear to my problem. On the subject matter of expecting too much Sir, I just thought I should be getting my car by now as those people from my town who have ordered on the same date as me or later have already gotten their Kwids. I'm just wondering how hard could it be to procure one and deliver it to me, someone who's been waiting for such a long time.

I completely agree with you and will be calling up my SA today to give me a fixed date instead of changing the dates as soon as the promised date is up again and again.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2016 at 09:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
wadewilson is offline   Reply With Quote