Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 28th July 2016, 20:29   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 Automatic : Official Review

The feature list does get confusing sometime. The SA advised me that the W8 AT also has passive key entry. Thankfully, I'd memorised the brochure and features like I'd be tested in a board exam on it!

I'm test driving the manual and the AT W1.99 back to back again after my experience last week left me disappointed.

In Delhi discounts of Rs 40-50k are being offered on variants except for the W10 variant.

No AWD W1.99 in sight yet.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 01:08   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
The feature list does get confusing sometime. The SA advised me that the W8 AT also has passive key entry. Thankfully, I'd memorised the brochure and features like I'd be tested in a board exam on it!

I'm test driving the manual and the AT W1.99 back to back again after my experience last week left me disappointed.

In Delhi discounts of Rs 40-50k are being offered on variants except for the W10 variant.

No AWD W1.99 in sight yet.

Cheers,
Sting
It seems to me that in general people feel that AT is noisier than MT. I am yet to drive the AT XUV but my theory is that during test drives people tend to push the car a bit more in terms of acceleration etc and this would result in the gearbox holding the gear a bit longer before shifting. Higher RPM certainly would make it sound louder inside. On MT my experience is that in city like Bangalore I hardly get a free stretch so I end up driving pretty sedately and upshift at about 1800 rpm and engine can be barely heard inside. Once you cross 2200 RPM, it does get audible and beyond 2500 it does make it presence felt. So people owning AT or testing one should use RPM as metric to compare MT vs AT sound. I doubt there would be any difference between the two in terms of refinement.
supertinu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 22:06   #363
BHPian

I wish that was the case. Test drove the AT again on the weekend. Same result. Albeit the gear change flick switch felt easier to use.

Test drove the facelifted XUV manual and NVH levels are way better. The manual is a much better vehicle to drive...until you hit a traffc jam!

Considering Delhi's traffic the Autobox will be the way to go.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 22:20   #364
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
It seems to me that in general people feel that AT is noisier than MT. I am yet to drive the AT XUV but my theory is that during test drives people tend to push the car a bit more in terms of acceleration etc and this would result in the gearbox holding the gear a bit longer before shifting. Higher RPM certainly would make it sound louder inside...
The AT is noisy at standstill. As you pickup speeds, the tyre and road-noise drowns the buzzing, but at standstill its definitely noticeable.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 23:42   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
It seems to me that in general people feel that AT is noisier than MT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The AT is noisy at standstill.
SDP is right.

When i did TD the AT variant, when one steps on the pedal after the brakes are released to gain momentum say like when moving off from a traffic signal, the RPM shoots up a bit and comes back once speed is attained. It is this RPM increase which makes the initial period noisy. Once speed is picked up, wind and tyre noise take over!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:29   #366
BHPian

Hi

I think the AT version definitely has more vibrations and noise.
will appreciate any help with damping/sound proofing especially the engine noise. Ditto for vibrations. Am in South Delhi and suggestions welcome of people who do it

thx
ta1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:40   #367
BHPian

I am super confused between the head vs heart decision.

I am looking to purchase a long distance tourer that is comfortable and has high ground clearance to tackle most of that the indian roads can throw at it.

In order of priority I am looking for the following:

1. Safety- ESP, 6 airbags a must have.
2. Good ride quality
3. Comfortable highway cruiser with good to decent performer
4. AT - I have chronic lower back pain which reoccurs frequently.
5. Reliability- Don't want to spend my timing worrying if anything could go wrong in my long drives
6. A.S.S
7. AWD - not a must have- but having it does open up some unchartered territories within your reach?
8. 7 seater- Not a must have.

Now given the available options, I narrowed down to XUV500 W10 AWD AT, and Innova crysta ZX AT.

Mind says go with Innova for the peaceful ownership experience, but the heart says - c'mon it is a MPV, get the XUV for that AWD, butch looks and go anywhere ability. Given that Innova is approx 4 L more expensive (on road) than top end XUV does not help either.

I did test drives of both these variants extensively and am totally confused. Both of them match up pretty close, but overall refinement levels and quality of fit/ finish of Innova is better.

To the XUV owners, I do see many niggles being reported on the related thread. But how has been the overall A.S.S experience, are the service personnel able to resolve most issues without "trial & error" methods?

I am leaning towards the XUV but for the worry of spending my time in workshop trying to figure out issues that keep souring the ownership experience...
smekad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 16:53   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post

I did test drives of both these variants extensively and am totally confused. Both of them match up pretty close, but overall refinement levels and quality of fit/ finish of Innova is better.

I agree 100% with you. I am also in same dilemma and couldn't decide myself.
After giving lot of thought, and considering re-sale value, it's Innova for me.

I have booked end of June and they promised to deliver in September.

In fact, Tuscon was also good contender for me but they postponed the launch.
niv26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 17:06   #369
BHPian

Guys, I have horrendous experiences with my XUV 500 W10, and bracing myself to sell it and pick up a luxury premium vehicle. I just cannot stand the sub-optimal after sales service and frequent niggles, and issues that crop up. I really doubt if Mahindra actually has all these airbags and whatever electronic gadgetry/technical prowess which they claim.

My advice: please go for anything that gives you a peace of mind, particularly the after sales. All the best !
jacobvarughese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 17:16   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
I agree 100% with you. I am also in same dilemma and couldn't decide myself.
After giving lot of thought, and considering re-sale value, it's Innova for me.

I have booked end of June and they promised to deliver in September.

In fact, Tuscon was also good contender for me but they postponed the launch.
Well, I was considering Ford Endeavour, Toyota Innova and XUV 500 earlier. I somehow got a feeling that Innova is one thing that cannot go wrong if you can live with the exterior looks of a van - despite the ZX trim's non VFM pricing. The problem is that there is no real contender.

While Ford is equally good in its 3.2 avatar, I wasn't able to justify the 35+ lakhs on road cost unless you do a LOT of off-roading. XUV 500 AT's refinement level was pretty ordinary in my experience and the test drive vehicle with less than 10k on the odo was having quite a few rattles and was rather noisy at all speeds. Innova crysta test drive vehicle with 9k on the odo felt almost like a new car with absolutely no rattles and wasn't very loud atleast below 2000 RPM. With Innova Crysta being a market hit, you might also be able to recover the premium while selling it off down the line.

Incidentally I was/am also waiting for Tucson, but I don't have very high hopes. I am sure its top spec onroad cost is going to be close to 30 lakhs and its 2.0 CRDi AT 400 Nm version's international reviews aren't very positive-looking for its gearbox either.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 8th August 2016 at 17:35.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 18:03   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post

I am looking to purchase a long distance tourer that is comfortable and has high ground clearance to tackle most of that the indian roads can throw at it.
Hi Smehad, I own a w10 and can surely say that the beast performance is very good. Though the niggles are present, but A.s.s is very proactive to attend them.
Drive is super smooth. I drove 950 kms at a strech from pune to kannur (17 hrs long) and was still fresh in the morning after a 7 hrs sleep.
Most important point what I feel is that does have a Taxi image (no offence to innova owners).
singh.saab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 21:14   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
With Innova Crysta being a market hit, you might also be able to recover the premium while selling it off down the line.
In principle I agree. But many including me are still pondering about the clarity on diesel ban for engines greater than 2.0L. Hopefully not, but if the diesel ban decision is picked up by other cities in different states, down the line would there be potential buyers of large diesels like the Innova is the question. Here Mahindra has played smart and got a 1.99L engine in its XUV range of SUVs.
geotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 19:24   #373
BHPian

Finally, after much deliberation, I booked XUV 5OO W6 AT in Opulent Purple.
OTR: 17.65 lakhs in Bangalore.
Waiting period is just about 2 weeks, so expecting delivery by the end of August.
Thus comes to an end my search for the next vehicle, spanning more than a year.

T-BHP official review and ownership reviews here were critical inputs for making this decision. I am glad to be part of this community and really appreciate the spirit of helpfulness around here.
mustang_shelby is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 21:27   #374
BHPian

After much deliberation, drives, research, introspection, debates, calculations, agreements and disagreements, I've finally booked the W8 AT W1.99.

Sold of my 2008 Scorpio after 1.4 lac kms.. absolutely love this car for the fond memories it has given my family.

Alternatives considered: Well...umm..er..none!

My gratitude to fellow bhpians for the official review, updates, posts and ownership reports without which this would have been an uninformed decision - it would have been the same decision nonetheless

No prizes for guessing I'm a thorough Mahindra fan

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 19:08   #375
BHPian

For the Independence day long weekend, I drove from Bangalore to Pondicherry and back. A total distance of 865km with about 170 km of two lane and 230 km of 4 lane roads. Also drove in peak Pondicherry traffic for about 40-50 + km. On the 4 lane, I was able to maintain speeds in the range of 90 kmph to 120 kmph with liberal use of cruise control while on 2 lane maintaining more than 80 kmph was a challenge.

One thing I realized is that the 6th gear does not engage till after 90 kmph is crossed in D mode even though there is sufficient power/torque in 6th gear from 80 kmph onwards. I overcame this by using the manual mode & shifting up to 6th immediately on crossing 80 kmph & then engaging cruise control if required. Below 80 kmph, it doesnt shift to 6th gear even in manual mode.

I reset the DTE when I was starting on the trip & it shows 15kmpl at the end of the trip after 860km.

From my experience, the DTE shows 15 kmpl if the average is between 15 kmpl & 16 kmpl.

Driven in this sedate way, I believe it is possible to get an average of 16 kmpl easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 Automatic : Official Review-img_20160815_133337.jpg  

mtnrajdeep is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote