Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th August 2016, 11:31   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 Automatic : Official Review

Its been 2 weeks now with the my W10 AWD AT. Odo reads 1100 km.
Some initial observations.

1) Coming from Etios, I find the seating position very commanding and providing a great view of the entire road.
2) W10 rocks. Sunroof and Electric seat adjustment are absolutely fabulous.
3) Excellent highway performance. Runs like a horse at triple digit speeds.
4) Tried very mild off-roading in slush and slopes in rain drenched rural Maharashtra. AWD works well. With more practice and an able driver can go far.
5) Automatic is such a boon on my daily 52km bumper to bumper ride on Pune roads.
6) I am still taking time to adjust to the throttle response. Not as smooth or immediate as my Etios.
7) Noisy in initial gears.
heman_369 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 01:30   #377
BHPian

Hi,
I am also experiencing similar behaviour ie am not able to engage a higher gear when I want.
Are there any tricks to it ?
This is especially important as the AT noise and vibrations reduce at higher gears.
Thx
ta1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 06:57   #378
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1017 View Post
Hi,
I am also experiencing similar behaviour ie am not able to engage a higher gear when I want.
This is especially important as the AT noise and vibrations reduce at higher gears.
Thx
Give very light accelerator input. The gearbox would understand that you are a sedate driver and would upshift early.

You can also select the Manual mode and use "+" to upshift, but that's for a very short period of time. If the gearbox calculates that the gear selected by you is higher than what the gearbox would have chosen, it would revert back.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 13:07   #379
BHPian

Hi SDP Thx for the suggestion.

I generally drive with a 'light' foot. and have tried levels of 'pressure' but have not be able to get the AT to shift to 5th gear below 60kmph and 6 below 80kmph.

The manual mode also doesnt let me upshift to 5th or 6th gear below 60 kmph and 80 kmph , respectively
ta1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 14:58   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Guys, I have horrendous experiences with my XUV 500 W10, and bracing myself to sell it and pick up a luxury premium vehicle..........
My advice: please go for anything that gives you a peace of mind, particularly the after sales. All the best !
Hey Jacob, I guess you are talking about TVS. Maybe you should post here what made you hate so much a car that, in my experience, niggle-free and support better than average so far. An ownership report would really be appreciated.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 18:04   #381
BHPian

So I got home our new XUV 5OO W6 AT in Opulent Purple this Sunday.
Initial observations:
1. As heman_369 mentioned earlier, I find it a bit noisy in lower gears, and that I suppose is due to the upshift from 1-2 happening around 2200 rpm. I have tried to feather the accelerator (to keep it within 2000 rpm during running-in) but then it picks up so slowly that the traffic behind me gets frustrated. Maybe I will try letting up on the accelerator as a hint to upshift.
2. At the time of delivery, the front driver seat was dirty, and the passenger seat was not very clean either. This despite them being in plastic covers.
3. At delivery, also noticed a very small (<1 mm) spot of white near the rear right door handle. I had not noticed this during PDI, and it does not look like a chip. The surface is smooth. SA had no explanation for it, but promised to get it touched up at 1000 km service.
4. Automatic is such a boon in traffic. Just 60 kms driven in city, and I am already loving it.
5. My parking skills need serious upgrade now, have been driving a Swift for so many years.

One customary snap:
Mahindra XUV500 Automatic : Official Review-img_20160904_112546.jpg
mustang_shelby is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 18:19   #382
BANNED

Congratulations Mustang_shelby. Opulent Purple is a nice colour. Are you planning for any upgrades. Are you opting for any aftermarket alloys.
RAPTOR-XUV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 21:14   #383
BHPian

Congrats Mustang_shelby. This is my choice of a colour, though little difficult to maintain. Could you list the pricing details please? Did you also get the Club Mahindra membership?
SpoiledBratt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 22:17   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
So I got home our new XUV 5OO W6 AT in Opulent Purple this Sunday..
Congratulations on your new vehicle. Can you pl post inside photos of your vehicle. Thanks in advance.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 12:45   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR-XUV View Post
Congratulations Mustang_shelby. Opulent Purple is a nice colour. Are you planning for any upgrades. Are you opting for any aftermarket alloys.
Thanks. Alloys are planned but not immediately. Maybe in some time. Otherwise the W6 variant is fairly loaded. I am on the lookout for leather seat covers and child safety booster seat. Will also be getting a tyre inflator and dashcam in some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Congrats Mustang_shelby. This is my choice of a colour, though little difficult to maintain. Could you list the pricing details please? Did you also get the Club Mahindra membership?
Yes, dark colors are harder to maintain, but the family was unanimous on a dark color for XUV5OO and purple clicked for all of us.
Ex showroom: 14,38,000
1% TCS: 14,380
RTO: 271,500
Insurance: 25,300 (HDFC with nil dep and 50% NCB transfer from other car)
Extended warranty: 23,500 (4th and 5th year)
Free accessories: side step, reverse camera, front fog lamps, magnetic sun shades, mats

Edit: I got the Purple Club membership, and voucher for a 3N4D holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Congratulations on your new vehicle. Can you pl post inside photos of your vehicle. Thanks in advance.
Thanks. I haven't taken any interior pics so far. Will be posting soon.

Last edited by mustang_shelby : 7th September 2016 at 13:02.
mustang_shelby is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 12:52   #386

Hi Sting,

I am considering the same car (W8 AT 1.99) but for some strange reason the dealer is telling me to go for either W6 add those missing visible features at cheaper cost or go for W10. The W8 looked much better finished product than the W6 with addons.I plan to go for this month to get depreciation benefit but it depends upon how much I can stretch my budget to fit the W8, also it depends upon the exchange price offered for my NHC Zx 2008 model.

Could you please provide what was the landed price & the breakup.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
After much deliberation, drives, research, introspection, debates, calculations, agreements and disagreements, I've finally booked the W8 AT W1.99.

Sold of my 2008 Scorpio after 1.4 lac kms.. absolutely love this car for the fond memories it has given my family.

Alternatives considered: Well...umm..er..none!

My gratitude to fellow bhpians for the official review, updates, posts and ownership reports without which this would have been an uninformed decision - it would have been the same decision nonetheless

No prizes for guessing I'm a thorough Mahindra fan

Cheers,
Sting
lantian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 14:56   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantian View Post
Hi Sting,

I am considering the same car (W8 AT 1.99) but for some strange reason the dealer is telling me to go for either W6 add those missing visible features at cheaper cost or go for W10.
Thanks.
How would you go about adding 4 airbags and ESP in after market?
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 15:03   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Hi SDP Thx for the suggestion.

I generally drive with a 'light' foot. and have tried levels of 'pressure' but have not be able to get the AT to shift to 5th gear below 60kmph and 6 below 80kmph.

The manual mode also doesnt let me upshift to 5th or 6th gear below 60 kmph and 80 kmph , respectively
It doesn't shift to 5th gear at 50kmph or 6th gear below 60kmph as the engine rpm would be too low & cause engine lugging. This is by design so that the engine & gearbox dont get damaged.
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 10:36   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Thx
+1 on the noisy part, this is not the quietest diesel AT around. As others have stated above already one should not lug the long stroke diesel engine ( low rpm and higher gears). This will be close of blasphemy in the high torgue/long stroke world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantian View Post
Hi Sting,

I am considering the same car (W8 AT 1.99)...

Could you please provide what was the landed price & the breakup.

Thanks.
The W6 is undoubtedly the best value for money in the entire AT lineup for XUV. However, don't let the sales rep colour your thoughts. The W6 misses out on the additional 4 airbags which was the primary reason for me switching to the W8. Additionally, the OE leather seats do offer a premium ambience. If you are keen on the W8, stick to it. The reps tried to convince me to buy the W6 too and they weren't wrong in recommending the value for money proposition. The additional airbags sealed the deal for me. With variants the decision usually boils down to how much one is willing to stretch/spend. I drew the line on the W8 and haven't regretted it.

One reason I did not get the W10 was that Mahindra was not offering the Rs 40k discount (free extended warranty + 17k worth of accessories) it was offering on other variants. The other was that there was no AWD option so the incentive to go for the W10 was significantly reduced.

Broadly the cost were: 16.32 (ex showroom) + Rs2.08 (RT & registration) + Rs 45k insurance +Rs 16.3 k TDS. Mahindra had an offer on extended warranty (Rs 22.5k) and 17k worth of free accessories. Additional accessories were offered at a discount- up to 25% off. I could not transfer the NCB from my previous car since the new owner had not transferred the insurance, will do it in the next renewal cycle.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase!

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 9th September 2016 at 10:38.
Sting is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 22:30   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
I am taking delivery of my W10 AWD AT on Sunday and it does come with a push button and passive keyless entry.
Congrats heman_369 on your new XUV AT. Wishing you many miles of happiness. Can you please post some pics of the interior with the push button / AT Lever in view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
So I got home our new XUV 5OO W6 AT in Opulent Purple this Sunday.
Congrats mustang_shelby on your XUV AT as well Wishing you many miles of happiness.
Purple is by far the most preferred colour I think. Pearl White and Sunset Orange are the other favourites.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote