Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th February 2016, 10:27   #151
ISO
BANNED

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Well the XUV is one option. Then the other option is the Creta diesel automatic. Awesome vehicle. great power and the ease of an auto and if you are going to be doing most of your driving in the city, an auto makes sense.

The Creta is in the same price bracket that's why I mentioned it .
When I test driven creta 1.6 I did not like turbo lag. Recently I test driven Honda City diesel and blown away by the performance of the engine. That eagerness of the engine you will not find in creta.
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 12:11   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Well the XUV is one option. Then the other option is the Creta diesel automatic. Awesome vehicle. great power and the ease of an auto and if you are going to be doing most of your driving in the city, an auto makes sense.

The Creta is in the same price bracket that's why I mentioned it .

Though I loved the feel inside the Safari, the high seating position and the fabulous engine, I know that the Creta will be relatively a better buy.

But there is some part of me just clinging on to the safari. I love it- the size, the power, the fact that you can bully other motorists. It is such an awesome vehicle. I just wish it was an overall better package.
XUV.. may be.. if one needs 6 seats, a car like feel, but doesn't car to lose out on the SUV feel. Overall a decent car to buy. Creata? Not really unless one loves a 16 lac hatchback with cramped rear seat, a kind of boat like handling, especially coupled with the turbo lag, which ensures an unsettled forward back movement, which can make people sea sick.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 20:00   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
I recently booked a Storme 400 after looking at Creta, XUV and Scorpio. In my view though these cars comes with lot of features (which is their USP) they are used during the first few days with an excitement and then we don't care. Specifically to Creta, I felt too cramped interiors and low back seating for the more or less same price as a safari or Innova (gx). This I thought was no VFM. The point is every user is different and that's precisely the reason there are so many varieties available in market. A manufacturer will sell as long it makes business sense and safari Storme is certainly still in radar for Tata Motors. We have seen cars that are being sold in 2 digits for years and I think Safari Storme sells ~ 500 per month. Of course more cars on the road will be good for the manufacturer, but we may loose exclusivity? 😜
Welcome to the 400 club. Hope you chose a 4X4.
You are correct about all of us being different. We have different preferences and points of view and that is the reason we are who we are. Its a good choice and you will enjoy it a lot.
Congratulation.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 20:12   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Welcome to the 400 club. Hope you chose a 4X4.
Why is the 4x4 better than a 4x2?

I am considering the 4x2 for a driver-driven car - but not sure if it has a limited-slip differential.

If it does not have one, then there is really no point to have one tire spinning in the air/mud/water and not being able to move...

Thanks for any feedback!
SuperFlyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 21:05   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Why is the 4x4 better than a 4x2?

I am considering the 4x2 for a driver-driven car - but not sure if it has a limited-slip differential.

If it does not have one, then there is really no point to have one tire spinning in the air/mud/water and not being able to move...

Thanks for any feedback!

For the simple reason that I believe that no SUV is truly an SUV without a 4X4!

The 4X4 has the Limited Slip Differential. The 4X2 does not.

For a driver driven car where you don't need a 4X4, why even consider this? For that kind of usage I'd just blindly buy an Innova. Simple.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 17th February 2016 at 21:23.
Old 17th February 2016, 23:07   #156
BHPian

Navpreet, I booked a 4x2. You are right, my alternative was Innova gx, which I gave a miss for lack of airbags, lack of highway power and lack of that personal transport feel. It was more like a mass transport taxi vehicle. Also my daughter liked Storme very much and she wanted that road presence. My need is ft 30k per year of highway driving with a brio taking care of my city needs. And it just a family of 3, which I felt safari suited the best.
Car&me is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 23:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Very valid points for the choice. If you like driving yourself, you'll like its steering feel. It's very direct now and feels very nimble considering it's a tall SUV.
Old 19th February 2016, 12:53   #158
BHPian

Quote:
In my view though these cars comes with lot of features (which is their USP) they are used during the first few days with an excitement and then we don't care.
+1 to that. My TD experience of Storme and XUV (the only 2 I've TDed) was such a stark contrast. In the Storme TD the Sales Rep hardly spoke; we (me & wifey) did the talking asking various questions to which he was only responding. Only time he spoke on his own was to explain features and differences with other models; and I didn't seem to mind it probably because I am already sold on the Storme!
The XUV TD was a very different experience. Firstly, since I knew I was biased towards the Storme, took wifey along for having a neutral opinion; it was also our first time in one! The first spoiler came in the form of no MT vehicle available for TD; took the TD in AT (W10) reluctantly. The first thing that hits you immediately is the car like environ the XUV has; enough said already about that! The sales rep started playing with the Infotainment system right from the start and kept on harping about what all does it have! I ignored him mostly and started observing how it rode. All it took was a relatively large and deep pothole which I deliberately hit at about 35-40kmph; immediately felt the thud and felt the sharp rocking in the cabin. Exchanged a glance with my wife (in the middle row) and we both new it's not it! For most of this time the Sales rep kept talking and playing with the bells and whistles. I did some medium speed sweeping corners and could feel the body roll being almost negligent as compared to Storme. This is one area where XUV will run rings around the Storme without breaking a sweat! But then this comparison factor becomes debatable since both have absolutely different underpinnings; so I'll put that to rest.
The highlight of the XUV TD came when we were back at the dealership; I was a given a feedback form where I'd to rate my TD experience in terms of various vehicle parameters (ride quality, steering feel, engine power etc.), it was quite detailed. I obviously rated the ride quality the lowest (2/5) and was asked to give a brief written explanation. The sales rep looked at it and started explaining what I can only term as 'pothole geometry'! " Sir, wo gaddha tedha aur deep tha; gadi ka chakka seedha ghusa bolke aisa laga....". He literally drew this on a piece of paper to drive home his point! I gave him a knowing smile and he stopped talking then!! We were promised another TD in the MT version but yet to receive a call for the same. On our way back home, wifey added, keeping the ride quality aside, the sense of space is also lacking because it is so car like; read lower roof height. But this could also be attributed to our current car (Ritz).

However, I should mention this; to their credit, the kind of detailed feedback and customer info that they gathered was much more than what I was asked during Storme TD!

Quote:
The point is every user is different and that's precisely the reason there are so many varieties available in market.
Exactly!! I really don't have anything against the XUV; but for me I'd be more happy with being in a comfortable car with less features, on a long road journey than in one which has more bells and whistles and not so comfortable after all.

Quote:
We have seen cars that are being sold in 2 digits for years and I think Safari Storme sells ~ 500 per month. Of course more cars on the road will be good for the manufacturer, but we may loose exclusivity? 😜
I guess this is why Safari is said to have a 'cult' following! This makes me wonder as well; if Tata knows it, are they willing to compromise on sales/marketing for the sake of exclusivity; it doesn't make business sense?!
avinash_m is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 13:29   #159
Aum
BHPian

I was sold to XUV from the moment it was launched and followed it though its niggles and initial hick ups without owning one. Finally when it came to deciding what to buy we did a back to back TD of XUV and Storme on the same stretch, more than me my family was sold to Storme. If you need pure driving pleasure and comfort Storme is way ahead. I have been following various Storme ownership threads on this forum and it seems very capable and niggle free(not completely as any other vehicle). What I feel goes against Storme is perception about TATA quality, I am saying perception at least for Storme since I have been following it for a while now.
Aum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 21:30   #160
BHPian

Default Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
The sales rep started playing with the Infotainment system right from the start and kept on harping about what all does it have?!

This is what happened to me as well. When I TDed XUV, the sales rep was all about the entertainment system tyre pressure monitor etc. I asked him no t to speak and switched off the ICE (paid no attention).

On the contrary, Tata motors rep was ' you ask me I will tell you' kind of a guy. Guys like us who do some research try to look beyond the wrapper ( including XUV owners in this forum). General public (many of these cars are chauffeur driven) get sold by the features presented by the sales rep.

I am not saying the XUV owners here have done the same, I know there was a logical reasoning for their decisions, but I elude to the fact that the XUV owners in this forum did not buy his car, based on just what the sales man told about the entertainment system.

Last edited by Car&me : 19th February 2016 at 21:32.
Car&me is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 01:03   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
+1 to that. My TD experience of Storme and XUV (the only 2 I've TDed) was such a stark contrast.
Hi Avinash,

If you could please let me know what dealerships you had visited in Hyderabad for TATA and M&M.

Thanks,
Rohit
rohit.joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 08:17   #162
BHPian

Default Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aum View Post
What I feel goes against Storme is perception about TATA quality, I am saying perception at least for Storme

+2 to that. It's the perception on quality, Tata has to change this image, if they want to be strong in the market. Their new products(zica, kite, bolt etc) are excellent. Even the show room experience has gotten better in the last 2 years. Yet to experience the after sales service, but the various ownership experiences on Storme indicate least number of behavioural issues on service center. So Tatas are on right track, but they have to shake away the taxi manufacturer (Indica and Sumo) image.

In the last 4 years I have visited Tata Showrooms for bolt, zest, safari, Storme (twice) the last visit for Storme was the best experience. But when I shared the news with my extended family and friends, that I am buying a Tata vehicle, they wanted me to move away from Tata. Interestingly none of them own a Tata vehicle, it's only a perception.

Last edited by Car&me : 20th February 2016 at 08:26.
Car&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 12:17   #163
ISO
BANNED

I had exactly same XUV TD experience mentioned above in Sahyadri Motors, Pune.

Senior SA was kept talking about XUV features like double turbo charger

During test drive, he wanted to sit beside me to explain more features but firmly said no. I asked my wife to take front seat. Enough talking of SA now lets car talk to me
ISO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 16:10   #164
BHPian

So I got my pearl white XUV 500 W8 on 29/11/2016. .
Varicor 400 got launched in December 2015.
Some direct /indirect references onXUV in above posts forces me on this long post.

My primary options were Xuv and Storme with last minute wild card entry being a S cross Alpha DDIS320 which i finalized and booked but only to be messed up by cattle class experience of NEXA-Navnit motor- Andheri west.

My earlier car was Tata Manza Qjet-Aura Abs.(June 2011 to Nov.2015~65000kms)

Since i have had dry experiences from the showroom visits during Manza purchase i didn't really bother visiting Malad Concorde inspite of they being only 3-4 minutes drive away from my home & drove down to Concorde worli
Showroom experience at Tata Concorde Worli: Sunday -12 noon-

Such a big showroom with a big parking bay on such a prime real estate location - it was disheartening to see not a single customer on both the sections of the showroom.

Properly greeted by security& Welcomed at the reception(so unlike NBS Mahindra and NEXA)
Sales representative Mr Imran promptly guided my way to the display Storme inside the showroom and left - I along my 9 year old son are completely bowled over.

TD experience - Salesrep Imran couldn't come along since he was busy with something else (i wonder what he could be busy with in an empty showroom). Some junior Sales rep. accompany me for the test drive.
I take the beast out of parking bay.Start the drive -
+ves
1)Light clutch- now my Manza already had upgraded self centering clutch hardware and it is light - But the Storme clutch was still lighter.
2)Light steering.
3)Good Driving position. - Good Visibility-Enormous road presence -King of the road feeling
4)Amazing sound set up - i am an Audiophile -my Manza has a beefed up setup. The stock setup of the Storme was as good.
5)Amazing ride quality. XUV ride quality is pathetic. i am telling you that from 3000 kms and 80 days of ownership of XUV now.
6)Knowledgeable and down to earth junior sales representatives (both Mr Imran and this gentleman) they even allowed me to take a prolonged TD to and fro sea link.
7)Simply wanted to drive on and on and on and not go back to the showroom.
8)Interiors better than Xuv .
9)Paint job better than XUV. Far better than S Cross.
10)The same AVL engine feel slightly more refined & slightly more free revving on the Storme than it does on the XUV.
Certainly Tata Engineers has done a better job.
11) I was saving a good couple of lakhs by opting for a Storme VX instead of XUV W8

-ves:
1)No ESP-No 6 Airbags - these were one of the prime reason to upgrade from the Manza.
2)ON the sea link i could feel the Aerodynamic disadvantage of the Storme
3)Slight Bum shake on sea link high speed.
4)Concorde offered a pathetic Rs 2 Lac only for the Manza.
Mr Imran himself recommended to sell the Manza off on OLX to an end user as i could get far better value . (that was my plan anyways)
5)No leather seats even after spending 15lacs -No touch screens and rear view camera.
6)Missed 6th gear on the sea link. (i think i felt so)
7)High COG-ladder on frame - body roll.

Deal breaker :
1)Safety parameters-NO ESP on such a tall - heavy SUV.
& NO 6 air bags like XUV. I thought with my driving style its better i avoid the Storme for now.
2)Resale value concern.
3)I felt i was not ready or mature enough to manage a tall heavy ladder on frame as my daily drive yet.
4)Also with the Storme it was less sensible going in for a 4x2 whereas i never really needed a 4x4 - confusion
5)Parking lot width issue at residence (may be office too)

The above story might have been different with the Varicor 400

Highlight which i liked about Concorde Worli-:
There were only 2 follow up call from Concorde-Mr Imran .
First call was approximately 10th day of showroom visit. By that time i had yet not made a decision and was also yet to find a buyer for the Manza. Had not even posted an OLX ad for it by that time.
Second call was almost after 45 days of the TD . When i had already booked and about to take the delivery of XUV.
Imran me and mentioned ' good choice -its also a good vehicle"
Whereas the same reaction from Nexa was "oh my god- Xuv ??"

Anyways - After 3000 kms of usage of XUV - i miss legendary ride quality of a TATA.
There are other +ves of the XUV which makes me feel happy 7completely satisfied about the purchase of XUV.

The 1 question grows stronger and stronger in my mind :
How come XUV and Scorpio put together sells around 10,000 units a month whereas the Storme is merely 500 units ?

Difficult - really difficult to understand Indian car buyer mind set.

I still go down on my knees seeing the graceful and classy Storme on the roads-A real lifestyle vehicle for that price point.
madhu33 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 21:28   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit.joshi View Post
If you could please let me know what dealerships you had visited in Hyderabad for TATA and M&M.
@Rohit: Nearest showrooms for me were Venkatramana motors for Storme and VVC motors for XUV; both are in Gachibowli.
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote