Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 20th November 2016, 21:25   #451
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, have been using one since I got my Storme. Check with any leather seat works shop. It's routine stuff for them.
Please post some pictures here. I need leather steering cover for better look and feel but not sure how it may look.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 16:33   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, have been using one since I got my Storme. Check with any leather seat works shop. It's routine stuff for them.
Thanks condor! Would really appreciate if you could post a pic of what you're using!
The issue is Hitec City side has only accessory shops selling only ready made stuff and those are no good. I'll have to head to secunderabad side as I recall seeing such workshops around there and get one tailor made.

Any idea if the silicone ones (ex. below) are any good?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-Co...3-0488430b3266
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 21:23   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Please post some pictures here.
If you get something like this, it will look exactly OE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Any idea if the silicone ones (ex. below) are any good?
Dont even think of these !

The one I have is like this:
(these are pics from my old Sumo. Have got it from the same person who did this here)

These will be exact fit's, and are very comfortable. No slipping / sweating. Remember to clean it every week.

We typically pay 1k here for this.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 22:01   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you get something like this, it will look exactly OE.
Ah! The problem is that the new Storme has thumb contour on the steering as shown in first page of this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/2015...cor-400-01.jpg

I don't know if I can get a good cover for this. Will try someday in Lajpar Nagar.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 22:07   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

On suggestion to anyone going for such a steering grip:

The steering cover will be made up of 3-4 pieces. You know where you normally grip the steering wheel. Ask the person to NOT place the joints at that position. Tell this before he cuts the leather.

Quote:
Ah! The problem is that the new Storme has thumb contour on the steering as shown in first page of this thread.
How about something like this:

From my 2009 Ikon. Again, hand-stitched. Contouring is not a problem.

Suggest you hunt around for someone who does this in leather.

Last edited by condor : 21st November 2016 at 22:10.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:02   #456
BHPian

Quote:
How about something like this:
Thanks a ton @condor! The Sumo wheel is the exact look I've in mind; always prefer the OE look! The only possible issue I can imagine is the finish around the bottom 'U' spoke of Storme steering wheel; it's quite broad unlike the Sumo. How did your guy manage that part? I ask that because even when I got the art-leather cover, the accessory guy could not do anything about it; he had to leave that part of the cover loose over the U spoke. Sorry for being a bit anal about this

I guess the hard part begins now; to find out a suitable guy here who can do this. Anyone from Hyderabad here who can suggest any good made-to-order upholstery shops?

Last edited by avinash_m : 23rd November 2016 at 13:03. Reason: grammer
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:37   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
The only possible issue I can imagine is the finish around the bottom 'U' spoke of Storme steering wheel; it's quite broad unlike the Sumo. How did your guy manage that part?

I guess the hard part begins now; to find out a suitable guy here who can do this.
Can absolutely understand that desire for detail !

Since I have a 2013 EX, the steering wheel is the regular one - and no audio controls on it.

In your case, there is one possibility for that section: a small loop on both edges (above and below the U ). One piece of string in each part (upper & lower), and tie the ends of the string on both sides of the "U: section.

Check this - you should get an idea:
Name:  pouch.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  21.7 KB

Yes, the hard part begins now: some one who can do this part also !!

Last edited by condor : 23rd November 2016 at 13:38.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 21:52   #458
BHPian

Folks

Pardon me for the repeat question (had asked this a few months earlier).

Does anyone know anything about the Storme AT, if yes, when is the launch?

Hexa is good and fine, but it's still a van.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 10:29   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Does anyone know anything about the Storme AT, if yes, when is the launch?
Test mules have been spotted off and on but no one has seen pictures of the AT GB or the lever in a Storme yet AFAIK.

Also, it is unlikely to be launched soon since TML would want focus completely on the Hexa for now and avoid any kind of confusion or cross shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Hexa is good and fine, but it's still a van.
Spot on. In spite of what the Hexa offers, it looks like a people mover, to the fullest, which is a put off to most SUV buyers.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 20:00   #460
Senior - BHPian

Had the chance to drive a Varicor 400 4WD for around 180kms. Here are a few observations and would like to know owner's views on them: -

1. The clutch is light, very light. However, upon releasing it, around halfway through the travel, I could clearly feel change in its tension/pressure, as if it goes through a gate for half its travel.

Is this common or was it specific to this vehicle?

2. The vehicle touched speeds on the wrong side of a ton and a half pretty easily but compared to, say, the new Scorpio, it felt top heavy. Is this a feeling others get at these speeds?

3. The doors felt significantly lighter than previous Safaris/Stormes I've experienced. They are either better aligned or have been made lighter or both. Do the others concur?

4. The gearbox takes some time to get accustomed to. Downshifting, especially from 6th to 4th. Shifts were however, smooth with a slightly low throw. The reverse gear takes some effort though.

5. Hard Steering. It feels pretty heavy at parking speeds and U turns compared to the Scorpio/XUV/Crysta etc.

Other Positives: -

Space, space and space. As a five seater SUV, I doubt if anything this side of the GLE/Q7/LR Discovery Sport beat it.

Ride quality. Amazingly pliant, smothers almost everything in its stride. As good as the new Endeavour and better than both the new Fortuner and the current Pajero Sport.

Air Conditioning.
Very effective for a vehicle of this glass area and a non automatic CC unit. Also, the volume of air from the roof mounted roof vents was very good.

ICE. In spite of being a single DIN outdated looking system, Harman shows it acoustic capabilities and has above average sound quality. Low to medium volumes are no issue, but go any higher and the speakers give up.

Fit and Finish. Most components are well fitted and are better in quality compared to its rival, the Scorpio. Also, storage is generous and the vehicle has a lot of cubby holes and a bigger glovebox than the Scorpio.

So all in all, except the absence of features and the lack of a sporty feel, the Varicor 400 is not very far away from its rivals.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 20:14   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Had the chance to drive a Varicor 400 4WD for around 180kms. Here are a few observations and would like to know owner's views on them: -

1. The clutch is light, very light. However, upon releasing it, around halfway through the travel, I could clearly feel change in its tension/pressure, as if it goes through a gate for half its travel.

Is this common or was it specific to this vehicle?

2. The vehicle touched speeds on the wrong side of a ton and a half pretty easily but compared to, say, the new Scorpio, it felt top heavy. Is this a feeling others get at these speeds?

3. The doors felt significantly lighter than previous Safaris/Stormes I've experienced. They are either better aligned or have been made lighter or both. Do the others concur?

4. The gearbox takes some time to get accustomed to. Downshifting, especially from 6th to 4th. Shifts were however, smooth with a slightly low throw. The reverse gear takes some effort though.

5. Hard Steering. It feels pretty heavy at parking speeds and U turns compared to the Scorpio/XUV/Crysta etc.

Other Positives: -

Space, space and space. As a five seater SUV, I doubt if anything this side of the GLE/Q7/LR Discovery Sport beat it.

Ride quality. Amazingly pliant, smothers almost everything in its stride. As good as the new Endeavour and better than both the new Fortuner and the current Pajero Sport.

Air Conditioning.
Very effective for a vehicle of this glass area and a non automatic CC unit. Also, the volume of air from the roof mounted roof vents was very good.

ICE. In spite of being a single DIN outdated looking system, Harman shows it acoustic capabilities and has above average sound quality. Low to medium volumes are no issue, but go any higher and the speakers give up.

Fit and Finish. Most components are well fitted and are better in quality compared to its rival, the Scorpio. Also, storage is generous and the vehicle has a lot of cubby holes and a bigger glovebox than the Scorpio.

So all in all, except the absence of features and the lack of a sporty feel, the Varicor 400 is not very far away from its rivals.
My observations to your pointers is as follows:
1. No. But the clutch travel is too long
2. I have not done beyond a ton till now.
3. No experience with Dicor but felt no difference with respect to other Stormes.
5. It is slightly harder than XUV, I have no experience with Crysta
6. Storage is generous but I would have loved if it had some under seat secret storage, sun glass holder and a proper space for phone. Nevertheless, the available storage is usable and practical.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 10:13   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6. Storage is generous but I would have loved if it had some under seat secret storage, sun glass holder and a proper space for phone.
Yes. In fact, there is space between the front seats for a box if the parking brake lever could be slightly repositioned. The space below the parking brake lever is barely usable and will only collect waste and dust.

Under seat boxes are something which I am a huge fan of. This, along with a cooled box somewhere would have made it great.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 11:40   #463
BHPian

Question Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

My VX 4x4 is due for 1st service in a week. It has run about 3200 kms. Owners' manual does not mention engine oil change on first service. Should I insist on changing oil and filter? What have other owners here done? How much does oil + filter change cost?
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 11:56   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
My VX 4x4 is due for 1st service in a week. It has run about 3200 kms. Owners' manual does not mention engine oil change on first service. Should I insist on changing oil and filter? What have other owners here done? How much does oil + filter change cost?
Oil change at 1st service isn't recommended by Tata Motors. But few people believe initial oil change is necessary as it clears of any tiny metal slugs formed in a new engine. Others say that newer generation diesel engines need not require this first oil change. Hence most of the newer gen vehicles don't have this early oil change. So finally it's your personal preference. I got it changed during first service and they charged me around 2700 INR for oil and oil filter. Even the service center guys were very reluctant to change the oil, quoting it's not recommended in the service manual. Usage wise I didn't feel any difference before and after the oil change. I got it done only for my satisfaction, as there's no harm in oil change.
doc_zeus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 17:23   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Should I insist on changing oil and filter
Yes, you should. If you remember, our good old Behram Dhabhar (RIP) always recommended the 5k km oil change for this vehicle. It will not make any perceptible difference in the engine sound or feel but helps in flushing away the initial filings that would have accumulated by then.

It is definitely an old world, but valid practice.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote