Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th December 2016, 15:38   #466
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Cross qouting from elsewhere, but I think this post belongs more to a Storme thread that a "what car" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaysaw View Post
I would most certainly recommend a Storme. I have 2 and both have covered approximately 20k kms without any problems. Covered under the Gold AMC (availability in Nepal?), i have not paid a single rupee for service thus far and also have driven from Delhi to Aurangabad in a single stretch without any problems. My ownership report goes on soon but in the meanwhile heres a teaser of how the one I'm driving today looks like... (with a lift kit, bigger tyres and a wrap)
Hi mkaysaw. Can you share where did you source the lift-kit from? Also the parts which are included in lift-kit. Is it only spring replacement on 4 corners, or is it much more than that? What size tires are you running now and what is the total lift? How have the dynamics changed?
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 23:24   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Cross qouting from elsewhere, but I think this post belongs more to a Storme thread that a "what car" thread.

Hi mkaysaw. Can you share where did you source the lift-kit from? Also the parts which are included in lift-kit. Is it only spring replacement on 4 corners, or is it much more than that? What size tires are you running now and what is the total lift? How have the dynamics changed?
Hello Black Rider,
1) Lift kit was a "jugaad" from local mechanic who claimed to have worked in TATA ass. No spring replacement only spacers on top of each shock mount mirror to fit male-female mountings (pics enclosed) All aluminum. Everything else stock without any mods.
Hindsight: Shocks/Brake Line/Bottom Wishbone linkage should have been upgraded too.
2) Tire sizes enclosed in pics with before after photos.
3) Dynamics: The vehicle became taller no doubt with a much better and more commanding view of the road but that was the only pro.
- The increase in ride height of appx 6 inches (2.5 on bigger tires and 3.5 on new shock mounts) did not however affect sway and dive in corners as much (slightly very slightly)
- The other suspension components surprisingly even the stock shocks kept up till 64k kms / 2.5 years (even though the shocks were stretched to their jump stops every time you go over a speed bump at high speed specially the rear ones)

Cons: - The ride became more akin to a Fortuner than a storme, bouncy and bumpy on slow speeds with it becoming better post 50 kph. A shocker upgrade would have kept the stock ride quality intact for sure.
- The brake line used to choke at full lock of the steering if parked even at a slight angle, this was not that apparent as it happened only 2 or 3 times but is scary as the vehicle loses all braking power till you release the steering. Was taken care of with a longer brake fluid line.

Would recommend upgraded shocks and brake line which should inflate the cost by appx 40-50k.

I spent a total of 100k on new tires, CNC machined aluminum spacers and labor. The total time taken was 1 day to install and 3 days for the spacers.

The seat Modification cost appx 35k with upgraded cushioning and modified seat frames for the rear, with washable covers (not leather).

Photos enclosed are a mix of the day the upgrade was done in 2014? and from last month when i sold it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0038.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0037.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0036.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0035.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0034.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0033.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0032.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0024.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0023.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0022.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0028.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0029.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0030.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0031.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0025.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0026.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img20161205wa0021.jpg  

Last edited by mkaysaw : 5th December 2016 at 23:26.
mkaysaw is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 16:29   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Black Rider,
- The increase in ride height of appx 6 inches (2.5 on bigger tires and 3.5 on new shock mounts) did not however affect sway and dive in corners as much (slightly very slightly)
275/70R16 over 235/70R16 would lead to 1.1 inch height increase. Still an overall substantial raise including spacers!

Quote:
Cons: - The ride became more akin to a Fortuner than a storme, bouncy and bumpy on slow speeds with it becoming better post 50 kph. A shocker upgrade would have kept the stock ride quality intact for sure.
I think this would've happened because of increased sidewall height.

Quote:
- The brake line used to choke at full lock of the steering if parked even at a slight angle, this was not that apparent as it happened only 2 or 3 times but is scary as the vehicle loses all braking power till you release the steering. Was taken care of with a longer brake fluid line.
This info definitely helps.

Thanks for posting detailed replies and all those pictures. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by black_rider : 6th December 2016 at 16:32.
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 19:47   #469
Aum
BHPian

Dear All, I am facing peculiar problem. I have booked STORME through Concorde Motors South Ex Delhi, they are claiming that Delhi RTO is accepting only cash for vehicle registration. I somehow find it very hard to believe. Anybody else facing the same issue?
Aum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 20:00   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aum View Post
Dear All, I am facing peculiar problem. I have booked STORME through Concorde Motors South Ex Delhi, they are claiming that Delhi RTO is accepting only cash for vehicle registration. I somehow find it very hard to believe. Anybody else facing the same issue?
Are they falling short of liquid cash for some of their day-to-day work ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 20:40   #471
Aum
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Are they falling short of liquid cash for some of their day-to-day work ?

I have written to National Transport minister as well as Delhi Transport Minister, but I would doubt any reply would come through. This is really frustrating.
Old 12th December 2016, 16:25   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
UPDATE 2: AC Issue

So I took them along for a small test drive to check and after about a 10 mins drive, it started reacting to my inputs on the temperature knob; Finally!!
Hi Avinash, How is your temperature control working now? Any issues so far?

Quote:

I have written to National Transport minister as well as Delhi Transport Minister, but I would doubt any reply would come through. This is really frustrating.
Aren't they accepting DDs? It came in newspapers too and I think they said that they will accept DDs for now. My father-in-law just got a Jazz and he is facing similar issue in Meerut. He seems to be collecting small amounts of cash form friends and family and returning their money through bank transfer. However, collecting 65K will take time IMO. For you this must be approx 150K
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 22:51   #473
Aum
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post

Aren't they accepting DDs? It came in newspapers too and I think they said that they will accept DDs for now. My father-in-law just got a Jazz and he is facing similar issue in Meerut. He seems to be collecting small amounts of cash form friends and family and returning their money through bank transfer. However, collecting 65K will take time IMO. For you this must be approx 150K
don't even ask. I have begged and borrowed for it, only thing left now is stealing(hopefully it would not come down to it).

can somebody please help me with details of AMC, I tried TATA website but could not get details. I know it was discussed on TBHP in detail but wanted something recent, specifically difference between Gold and Silver. Does TATA still offer 100000 Km AMC?
Old 15th December 2016, 23:19   #474
Senior - BHPian

They now have the 3 year gold AMC for I think 60k kms. It's for 48k approx.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 19:18   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Quote:
can somebody please help me with details of AMC, I tried TATA website but could not get details. I know it was discussed on TBHP in detail but wanted something recent, specifically difference between Gold and Silver. Does TATA still offer 100000 Km AMC?
@Sourabh: I'd posted a note on doc_zeus' thread; no issues with the AC now.

@Aum: I paid about 46K here for the Gold AMC (3 yrs and 60Kms). 60Kms/3 yrs is the max you can go for in Gold; beyond that only Silver is available. I cannot put down the exact differences between the two here, but overall GOLD pretty much covers everything except tyres and battery (I think) whereas Silver has only limited parts covered. You could check with your SA for detailed differences.
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 12:44   #476
BHPian

Permission to go OT: Absolutely thrilled to know about the recent army acquisition of the Safari Storme. But does that also mean that the model change will not happen anytime soon?

It almost feels we'll be stuck with the Storme in the lower end and Q501/502 above they Hexa when it gets launched. Anyone here can help me decide otherwise?
methecupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 15:36   #477
BHPian

Anyone knows where this spring is from? Yesterday, while driving, I heard a loud sound and this thing fell into driver footwell. The A-B-C pedals are working fine, no change in their feel. Its impossible to see anything else under the dash.

A month or so back, a small grill that covers driver footwell AC vent too had dropped out. Put it back myself, but the parts are so badly aligned, that it's no surprise it fell off in the first place
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_0177.jpg  

black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 16:49   #478
AAD
BHPian

Check the steering adjustment for tilt. It could be the spring attached to the lever that we operate for tilting the steering.
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 18:03   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone knows where this spring is from? Yesterday, while driving, I heard a loud sound and this thing fell into driver footwell.
This looks like a spring from under the seat. Have you looked under the seat and checked?

Such "finds" were common to new Safaris earlier, in fact, one friend found a screwdriver in the rear door of his brand new Safari a few years ago.

But it is truly appalling to have such QC levels for a 1.5 million rupee vehicle today.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 20:10   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone knows where this spring is from? Yesterday, while driving, I heard a loud sound and this thing fell into driver footwell.
That spring has snapped clean from its mounting wherever it was. Please get that checked out. It may be harmless but who knows.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   Reply With Quote