Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:58   #556
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,943
Thanked: 1,679 Times
Default Re: An Oil Leak from the turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Upon a casual check of the engine bay today, noticed an oil smeared pipe down the turbo?
It appears like someone either overfilled the power steering oil reservoir or did not tighten the lid properly or spilt oil when refilling it which has flown down to the HP hose.

Clean it meticulously and observe the area after a week. If it repeats, then you need to get it checked. Some wicking is ok but this is not it.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 01:10   #557
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 219
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: An Oil Leak from the turbo?

[quote=n.devdath;4245709]It appears like someone either overfilled the power steering oil reservoir /QUOTE]

While the power steering reservoir did leak and smeared oil over the lid and pipes, I was actually referring to the pipe (red arrow) marked in the below pic. That one is not connected to the PS but is from the turbo; the green one is indeed from the PS sump.

Anyway, let me try the cleaning option and report back.
Attached Images
 
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 20:47   #558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 197 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Folks

Any news of a refresh of Storme in the works, for the festive season?

cheers
lazy
lazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 13:50   #559
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post

Anyway, let me try the cleaning option and report back.
Did you have any good luck with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Folks

Any news of a refresh of Storme in the works, for the festive season?

cheers
lazy
Absolutely NONE! There are not even any news hoaxes, let alone authentic news or test mule sightings. Someone should contact the TML teams and remind them that there exists a potential market hit bread in the back closet of their bakery thats half baked since a decade now...WAKE UP PLEASE!!!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 14:14   #560
BHPian
 
dkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 543
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Any news of a refresh of Storme in the works, for the festive season?
The TASS i frequent, did mention it during my last visit, that there is a possibility of a refreshed Storme being introduced.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 15:26   #561
BHPian
 
centaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: --
Posts: 696
Thanked: 738 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
The TASS i frequent, did mention it during my last visit, that there is a possibility of a refreshed Storme being introduced.
Did they mention a timeline because I am not sure if TML will take the risk of it right now as they have just come out with the hexa. If the new storme presents good potential and is priced similarly then it could end up cannibalizing the hexa and they price it significantly higher then it would mostly be dead on arrival. TML would want to build on their image with the Tigor and the Hexa and then look at launching the new Storme. Just my 2 cents
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 15:29   #562
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 197 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Absolutely NONE! There are not even any news hoaxes, let alone authentic news or test mule sightings. Someone should contact the TML teams and remind them that there exists a potential market hit bread in the back closet of their bakery thats half baked since a decade now...WAKE UP PLEASE!!!
That is disappointing though expected from Tata. Lazy dumb bafoons.
And their competitor is continuously updating its range - 170bhp XUV, LHD for exports, Aisin AT for Scorpio.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
The TASS i frequent, did mention it during my last visit, that there is a possibility of a refreshed Storme being introduced.
Can you make a phone call and find out more. Most likely its a hoax. No spotting of any test mules nothing.

Last edited by lazy : 11th August 2017 at 15:30.
lazy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 20:46   #563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 219
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Did you have any good luck with this?
Apologies for the delayed response; work pressure kept me away. I was able to get it done finally a week back and so far it seems to be holding off. I haven't seen any new oil accumulation in that area; have been checking almost every alternate day.
However, the engine feels a bit rough these days (since about a month); as in I can feel the vibrations/noise bit more inside the cabin. All vital stats look normal though; so not really sure if it's just me or there's some issue. Any other pointers I could check to be sure?
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 20:56   #564
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

During my 2nd safari service ( varicor 320 reftesh model) , i want to change the engine oil ( its now 11000 km and 15 months) although not recommsnded by dealer as per tsta manual. Concorde has petronas oil 5w40 grade. I am thinking to use Shell Helix ultra 5w40 grade ...will it be ok and better than the petronas oil ? Pls suggest asap , i have plan to change oil by this Sunday.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 00:02   #565
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 219
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
During my 2nd safari service ( varicor 320 reftesh model) , i want to change the engine oil ( its now 11000 km and 15 months) although not recommsnded by dealer as per tsta manual. Concorde has petronas oil 5w40 grade. I am thinking to use Shell Helix ultra 5w40 grade ...will it be ok and better than the petronas oil ? Pls suggest asap , i have plan to change oil by this Sunday.
@Amazing: 15 months is anyway an oil change tollgate from time standpoint; even though you haven't clocked the requisite KMs. Regarding oil change however, if you don't have AMC and are bent on changing to synthetic only, then Shell is the better and proven one of the two IMO. But, please check with Concorde if they will honor warranty claims in that case, as they can easily reject it citing non OE part/spares causing issue.

If you have AMC, scheduled oil changes are covered in that, including filters. So, it's always better to stick to OE oils to avoid warranty hassles. The money saved can also be utilized for additional (regular) oil changes in case your driving cycle comes under the 'extreme driving conditions' mentioned in the owner's manual.

Hope this helps.
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 13:28   #566
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 234
Thanked: 115 Times
Default

Thanks avinash_m. Got the oil changed today with mobil 15w40 grade avl with convorde pune . This is the oil which is used in factory new storme varicor and hexa varicors. So, lets see if i get a smoother ride post gettjng the car back after washing. No warranty issue in future for oil atleast.
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 13:53   #567
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 34
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Hi everybody,

I needed some advice w.r.t taking a final call on purchase of Storme ,Given that this thread is more active, I am sharing the link of my original post made on the review thread (and not reproducing the entire post).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-53.html (2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review)

advice, inputs are eagerly awaited. please spare your time and thoughts.

thank you
.
@Mod: i am hoping that this isnt construed as an infraction
iamwhatiam_okay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 20:27   #568
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 219
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
I needed some advice w.r.t taking a final call on purchase of Storme
@iam, just giving you my 2 cents; hope it helps you to take a final call.

If money is not an issue then the Endy just makes more sense as it is new and has all the creature comforts that one would expect from a car of this segment. Add to that your pleasant experience with Ford so far, only goes in favor of going for a Ford again.

Quote:
Needless to say, TD , ride quality, power, prescence on road and finally manouverability were mindblowing.
Apart from the attributes you've already mentioned about the Storme, it makes sense if you don't mind driving a manual in the NCR; with bare minimum creature comforts. On the other hand, it does save you a good amount of money though as compared to the Endy.

Quote:
1. as per dealer, he recommends Ex 4x2, stating that it is equivalent in all aspects except the 4x4(4H,4L) parts, rest all being more than sufficient to meet the travel needs and not the extreme off roading requirements. Having never owned a SUV, this is a critical piece of advice that will help me.
The dealer's right about the 4X2 if your usage pattern is mostly on-road/highway cruising. However, instead of the EX 4X2, you should be opting for VX 4X2 as it is the VX only which gets the new 400 NM and 6 Speed engine/GB combo. Please check with your dealer on this part; I am not sure if Tata have standardized this engine now across all models but it wasn't the case at least until the start of this year.

Quote:
2.Additional question that pops up, " is there a new /facelift for Storme expected? If yes, any timeframe that is on horizon?
Yes, apparently it is in the works but the time frame can't be earlier than end 2018, and that's the best case scenario IMHO.

Don't mean to confuse you, but you should really give the Hexa a serious thought. That makes a much better choice than the Storme in the current scheme of things.

All the best and do share your final decision with us!

PS: The opening line of your post pretty much sums it up where your heart/mind is
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 22:53   #569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 34
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

@ avinash thanks , much appreciated

Quote:
If money is not an issue then the Endy just makes more sense as it is new and has all the creature comforts that one would expect from a car of this segment. Add to that your pleasant experience with Ford so far, only goes in favor of going for a Ford again.
Agree fully , which was the reason that this was the 1st TD done owing to the comfort with Ford and the dealer, and the stretch of budget to accomodate Endy,

Quote:
Apart from the attributes you've already mentioned about the Storme, it makes sense if you don't mind driving a manual in the NCR; with bare minimum creature comforts. On the other hand, it does save you a good amount of money though as compared to the Endy.
Yup, my current fiesta is also MT, however the creature comfort zone will be higher(maybe) , the captain seats in Storme didnt leave me wanting. And the fact that it save money is not lost out. Actually my residence limitation is more of concern wrt the parking space manouverability and the fact that folks buy a car, they still haven't got the foggiest on how to park it right, which makes the route inside the colony equivalent to a minefield navigation morning and night
Quote:
The dealer's right about the 4X2 if your usage pattern is mostly on-road/highway cruising. However, instead of the EX 4X2, you should be opting for VX 4X2 as it is the VX only which gets the new 400 NM and 6 Speed engine/GB combo. Please check with your dealer on this part; I am not sure if Tata have standardized this engine now across all models but it wasn't the case at least until the start of this year.
well yes, the VX version 4x2 has the v400 in it, while the Ex has the dicor one. Point here was that Ex in itself is well powered, and if i am not going for the full 4x4, why then the Vx 4x2 , i might as well settle for the EX 4x2. usage pattern is city use when i am slaving for money and 7-14 days outdooring across highways as well as not so great roads to reach far out destinations.


Quote:
Yes, apparently it is in the works but the time frame can't be earlier than end 2018, and that's the best case scenario IMHO.

Don't mean to confuse you, but you should really give the Hexa a serious thought. That makes a much better choice than the Storme in the current scheme of things.

All the best and do share your final decision with us!

PS: The opening line of your post pretty much sums it up where your heart/mind is
yup got the feedback on 2018, while my decision has to be made now. And no you didnt confuse me at all, this is a open shout out for insights from folks who've walked this path and can share their opinions and experience, for which i am grateful. Hexa, didnt appeal , purely as its a MUV, though its got the same V400 engine and comes with creature comforts, what to say but heart seems to be with safari, and with wifey supporting as well

yes, of course i will be sharing the final decision.

thank you once again
iamwhatiam_okay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 00:52   #570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 219
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Always a pleasure to talk 'cars' with fellow bhpians!!

Quote:
Point here was that Ex in itself is well powered, and if i am not going for the full 4x4, why then the Vx 4x2 , i might as well settle for the EX 4x2.
True, but the 6 speed GB in the V400 (VX), along with the additional torque, makes it a much better cruiser on highways. Do consider that as it is quite apparent on the smooth highways we get to cruise on these days. I've had Storme (Dicor) owners coming up to me, inquiring specifically about the additional cog and comparing the cruising abilities of the two. Few who drove immediately found it better than the Dicor engined Storme.

Quote:
usage pattern is city use when i am slaving for money and 7-14 days outdooring across highways as well as not so great roads to reach far out destinations.
Similar usage pattern as mine; albeit, I have high city usage currently. Nonetheless, I was in the same dilemma last year; finally went in for a 4X2 as I couldn't see myself taking it off the road, unless of course the road itself doesn't exist!

Quote:
heart seems to be with safari, and with wifey supporting as well
Buddy, your story sounds like mine! We (with wifey) went to TD Duster, XUV and Storme. Duster didn't even make it to the road; was rejected outright for lack of space and being too car-like. Next came the Storme V400 which she loved! Finally, it just took a 10 min TD in the XUV to decide what we were going for! In fact, after the Storme TD she wasn't even keen on TDing the XUV; but I still persuaded her to have one, as I wanted to know her layman thoughts, and she almost echoed mine. I never told her that I'd secretly TDed the V400 (on my own) just when it came out and was already sold on it

Whichever version you decide to go for, please plan on taking Gold AMC and Extended warranty; that'd give you complete piece of mind. Tata ASCs are improving but they still need to cover a lot of ground! It'd be a good idea to build a rapport with the dealership service center, has its own advantages.

Look forward to welcome another Storme and its owner into this forum :-)

CHEERS!!

Disclaimer: Views expressed are my own; no offence meant to anyone owning the other cars mentioned in my post.

Last edited by avinash_m : 20th August 2017 at 00:55. Reason: Adding Disclaimer
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 4458 30th October 2017 10:40
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 launched at Rs. 13.25 lakh S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 118 28th December 2015 18:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks