Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 23rd June 2017, 16:09   #1561
srh
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_b View Post
Hello All, My friend took delivery of his Tiago on 4th June. Yesterday I went to his home to check car. At that time i observed a weird thing - Just like we press clutch it moves downwards - if we keep foot below it & move it upwards, clutch was moving upward around 10/20 degrees..

I haven't observed such thing at all. Am i wrong here - that every car's clutch move upwards by some degree, or is this any serious issue which he needs to look at ASAP?

Please provide your valuable inputs.
The clutch is operated by cable. The functionality is served when depressing the clutch pedal leads to transmission of that action through tension in the cable thereby disengaging the clutch. Conversely, the pedal being pulled upwards has no real effect, the cable will just go a bit lax - no reason to be 'shocked'
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:16   #1562
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Official review tries to put the most unbiased and detailed judgement possible in the 1-2 days they get to sample and test the car. That cannot be more accurate than the actual ownership reports which are long term tests in comparison.

In the case of the Tiago, I'm sure the moderators as well as everyone else who sampled the car during test drives etc were impressed by the overall quality of the car, specially the interiors. But we can't expect them to inspect every child part underneath the car before writing the review, can we?
Maybe. But I am still at a loss to understand how a torn rubber bellow or a plastic nut are 'evidence' of poor build quality. It is laughable at the very least and malicious at the very worst. A good way to determine might be to put up a survey for T-BHP members.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 15:30   #1563
BHPian

Autocar Long Term review of Tiago

Quote:
The car is now my daily ride to and fro work and it has been munching kilometres without any hassle. Yes, a lot has been said about the Tiago’s good looks and design, but one of the most important aspects for me is the fantastic all-round visibility it offers. This makes it quite easy to park the car in tight spots that are aplenty in Mumbai. I also like the front seats as they offer good support. My family members, however, found them to be a bit too soft. The meaty steering wheel feels great to hold and the chunky control stalks are nice to use. I am a bit disappointed with the air conditioning as it’s not powerful enough to battle Mumbai’s summer. However, Tata has made up for that in another area – the music system. The Harman system here is arguably one of the best units in any car priced under Rs 10 lakh.

The 1.2-litre, three-cylinder unit is good for 85hp on paper. But at 1,012kg, it is no lightweight and, hence, doesn’t feel peppy at all. Also, the engine note is a bit thrashy and only gets worse if you rev harder. The car, however, delivered a decent fuel economy of around 12kpl in the city. I am also quite impressed with the Tiago’s ride. It absorbed most bumps with ease and also felt quite planted at high speeds, something that was lacking in the previous long-termers I used.

The car comes with two drive modes – City and Eco. In pursuit of better fuel efficiency, I used the Eco mode for a few days, only to realise it didn’t make much of a difference in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Where it did make a difference, however, was in the drivability; the throttle response became lethargic and I switched to ‘City’ in no time.

My experience with the Tiago so far has been quite pleasant and, as our editor said in the previous report, the car is surely a happy commuter.
Full report here.
AkMar is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 17:02   #1564
BHPian

Can anyone guide me here if pin type gear lock can be fitted in tiago. Showroom guys are telling that only U type gear lock can be fitted which looks quite ugly
Secondly anyone got moodlights fitted which is also available as official accessory
sparkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 18:28   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Can anyone guide me here if pin type gear lock can be fitted in tiago. Showroom guys are telling that only U type gear lock can be fitted which looks quite ugly
Secondly anyone got moodlights fitted which is also available as official accessory
Fitted mood lights.
At Rs. 2500 it's worth it. Anyone who sits is pleasantly surprised, especially with the app. Functional and party trick. Both. Loving it. Will try to post some pics tonight.
Dr.Suraj is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:47   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Fitted mood lights.
At Rs. 2500 it's worth it. Anyone who sits is pleasantly surprised, especially with the app. Functional and party trick. Both. Loving it. Will try to post some pics tonight.
Eagerly awaiting your pics. I too have a Tiago Revotorq XZ which has clocked 9800 kms in 6 months. Time is ripe now to fit a few accessories to keep things interesting.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 15:44   #1567
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Tiago has crossed the 1,00,000 bookings milestone, which was officially announced earlier today by Tata Motors.

As per Autocar Professional, out of the 66,235 units sold in the domestic market till May 2017, 54,476 units are petrol variants and 11,759 units comprise the diesel variants.

Official Press Release:

Quote:
Tata Motors’ exciting, dynamic hatchback TIAGO has crossed the one lakh bookings milestone in the domestic market. Launched in April 2016, TIAGO was the first car to embody the company’s IMPACT design philosophy. With over 65,000 cars on-road since launch, TIAGO is the country’s most awarded compact hatchback and has won 18 renowned accolades. The top-end variant is the most popular among first time car buyers and the recently introduced AMT variant has seen an overwhelming response.

Commenting on achieving this milestone, Mr. Mayank Pareek, President, Passenger Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors, said, "TIAGO boasts our new IMPACT design philosophy and has been a game changer for Tata Motors. With its stylish design, enhanced performance and drive dynamics, TIAGO led the company’s transformation journey, setting a benchmark in the hatchback segment. We have witnessed a healthy month-on-month growth on the back of a strong demand. The car is making all the right noises in India. We are extremely happy with the response received so far and are confident of achieving more milestones in the months to come."

Tiago is being manufactured at the Tata Motors Sanand facility and the plant has been running full steam to meet the booking pipeline.

With inputs from the Pune, UK and Italy design studios, the TIAGO flaunts an appealing exterior design that emphasizes the compact look and sharp design. The interiors have been crafted with utmost precision for a premium feel. With over 20 utility spaces, it is also a very feature-rich offering in its segment. Available in petrol and diesel variants with two new engines – Revotron 1.2L (petrol engine) and Revotorq 1.05L (diesel engine), Tiago’s engines have been designed and are programmed to deliver superior fuel economy and a peppy driving experience with a segment-first feature, the Multi-drive mode – City and Eco – making it equivalent to offering two engines in one.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:26   #1568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Tata Tiago has crossed the 1,00,000 bookings milestone, which was officially announced earlier today by Tata Motors.

As per Autocar Professional, out of the 66,235 units sold in the domestic market till May 2017, 54,476 units are petrol variants and 11,759 units comprise the diesel variants.
1 lakh bookings.
66,235 units delivered.
More than 33k units backlog.

Good numbers indeed. But, I cant figure out the math behind the below -

1) Sales of less than 5k units per month?
Production constraints or did they not expect such a demand for the car?

2) 33k backlog and less than 5k per month is almost 7 month waiting period just to clear the backlog.

Are people really waiting 7 months for a TATA car? That would be nice indeed, but as per this thread and having seen friends take delivery immediately or at max within a month.

What am I missing?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:41   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
1 lakh bookings.
66,235 units delivered.
More than 33k units backlog.

Good numbers indeed. But, I cant figure out the math behind the below -

What am I missing?
I think you are missing cancellations. Cancelled bookings would still come under the total number of bookings. For Tiago I guess there would be a fair amount of cancellations initially due to the frustrating waiting period which people will accept for a Baleno/Brezza/Creta but not for Tata due to their brand reputation. Current backlog should be far less than 33K.
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:52   #1570

Unhappy TATA TIAGO DIESEL - White smoke issue in cold start

Its been a good 9 months ownership of this beauty . I have driven it for more than 15k kms till date . It is an absolute joy to ride. First of all tata has made lots of effort in Tiago's design and performance. Though there are few issues that has to be sorted out.
It was in wayanad (First trip), after 1st service, the engine was unable to idle properly at morning cold start. It was shaking and puffing as if something is problem with the firing. It was emitting white smoke. I kept the throttle at 2k rpm for few minutes for the engine to come to idle running temperature , after which the engine note changed to tractor like sound. I kept on with that, after few kms of driving it came back to normal. There was no loss in power though. The check engine light came and went off automatically.After this, it was reported to the TASS the next day, as usual the scanning was done and was told it was a loose connection and it will not repeat.
No sign of this problem in Chennai temperature.

It was a Tiago group meet in Yercaud where all the Tamil Nadu Tiago owners gathered with family and friends for discussion on the ownership of their tia's.

I was desperate to check this issue in other vehicles to see if the problem persists. There were 3 DIESEL Tiagos in the lot.
VEHICLE 1: XZ 2016 make (Espresso Brown) VEHICLE2: XM 2016 make(Berry Red)(mine) Vehicle 3: XZ 2016 make (Pearlescent White).

we initially cold started the vehicle1. To my surprise, It was struggling to idle and was emitting thick layer of white smoke. The smoke was like pungent smell of half burnt diesel. the tungsten symbol was glowing for longer than usual and went off later. There was not check engine light glowing.

Vehicle 1:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-vehicle1.jpg

Thick white smoke. The engine was jerking heavily.

Vehicle 2:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-vehicle2.jpg

The white smoke was little when compared to the first one, But the engine was like misfiring

Vehicle 3:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-vehicle3.jpg

This was the least to smoke, but the engine was non-responsive and was jerking a lot.

Detailed video of the issue:

All the three vehicles were 2016 make Diesel ones. Still wondering was might be the issue here . Its totally normal in Chennai climate, but turns like this only in the extreme cold climate.
can some one throw some light for the possible cause for this issue?
supramani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 00:26   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: TATA TIAGO DIESEL - White smoke issue in cold start

A silly question but have all these cars filled fuel from the same place while on the trip?
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 00:37   #1572

No no. They are from various places from Coimbatore and Chennai. Filled diesel in their respective places.
Old 4th July 2017, 00:54   #1573
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: TATA TIAGO DIESEL - White smoke issue in cold start

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramani View Post
I kept the throttle at 2k rpm for few minutes for the engine to come to idle running temperature
Please don't do this sir. You'll ruin the engine internals. Since the engine is cold, the oil pump works the harder to send oil from the sump to all moving parts. If you revv the engine in cold, rate of wear increases multi fold due to lack of lubrication oil around the metal surfaces..

If you want to increase the engine temperature, drive around at lower revvs rather than giving throttle at standstill.

Quote:
the tungsten symbol was glowing for longer than usual and went off later.
That is called at Glow Plug Indicator.

Quote:
Its totally normal in Chennai climate, but turns like this only in the extreme cold climate. can some one throw some light for the possible cause for this issue?
I can think about fuel quality here or air filter condition. Worst case that I can think of is, timing has been disturbed.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th July 2017 at 00:59.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 01:00   #1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please don't do this sir. You'll ruin the engine internals. Since the engine is cold, the oil pump works the harder to send oil from the sump to all moving parts. If you revv the engine in cold, rate of wear increases multi fold due to lack of lubrication oil around the metal surfaces..

If you want to increase the engine temperature, drive around at lower revvs rather than giving throttle at standstill.

That is called at Glow Plug Indicator.

I can think about fuel quality here or air filter condition.
No sir, fuel quality is not an issue here. I fill all my vehicles in the same BP bunk (a trusted one) in chennai.
Rather the vehicles above came from different parts of the state. We didn't fill fuel anywhere in the hills it was all filled up in their respective city.
Rather I have experienced this same issue earlier only in hills- cold start.
The only correlation is all are 2016 may - august make.
Old 4th July 2017, 08:07   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Are people really waiting 7 months for a TATA car? That would be nice indeed, but as per this thread and having seen friends take delivery immediately or at max within a month.
What am I missing?
Apparently, yes. Someone at my office waited about 6 months for the Tiago after booking it. It was the first car in their home and they did not want any other car even if waiting time was drastically reduced or if it was available off-the-shelf. The reason was - a. It is a "new" car. b. It offers a complete package - pound for pound more features at that price point than its competitors.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote