Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2017, 20:01   #1936
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,023
Thanked: 4,452 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
They avoided key advantages like ride comfort, handling and most of all, Land Rover inspired Terrain Management System with a rear differential lock,
Call me old fashioned but it would be confusing as to which mode to select when an obstacle comes. I would prefer to shift between 2H/4H/4L, differential locks or not.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 21:23   #1937
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,820
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Call me old fashioned but it would be confusing as to which mode to select when an obstacle comes. I would prefer to shift between 2H/4H/4L, differential locks or not.
Yes, you are old fashioned....!!!

Also, negating today's smart vehicle systems is like saying I'd rather go the bank to withdraw cash using a withdrawal slip/cheque rather than using an ATM since it gives me so many options to choose or like saying I prefer to use my landline phone since a cellphone has too many apps and buttons.


Just like the above examples and many more, modern technology is made keeping in mind ease of usage, so it isn't a problem.

Coming to diff locks, their value add is an internationally proven fact, no questions here.

BTW, looks like you are already contemplating your upgrade...!!! All the best.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 21:39   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,023
Thanked: 4,452 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Also, negating today's smart vehicle systems is like saying I'd rather go the bank to withdraw cash using a withdrawal slip/cheque rather than using an ATM since it gives me so many options to choose or like saying I prefer to use my landline phone since a cellphone has too many apps and buttons.
Not really, different parameters you see. Depends on preference. I in 4H wouldn't stop to change modes where traversing different terrain, whereas some one who prefers would.

Different strokes for different folks.

And yes, I am upgrading, but the tires of my current ride, that is what I can afford now.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 23:20   #1939
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,820
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I in 4H wouldn't stop to change modes where traversing different terrain, whereas some one who prefers would.
You need not, in a modern vehicle like the Endy, which is permanent AWD, that is technology at work for you.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:19   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,023
Thanked: 4,452 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You need not, in a modern vehicle like the Endy, which is permanent AWD, that is technology at work for you.
Then why the terrain management system in the first place? I am not talking about obstacles where the torque split between wheels will take care if the situation.
Save for Range/Land Rovers, do others have something similar? Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Patrol, G-Wagen?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 08:39   #1941
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,820
Thanked: 1,431 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Then why the terrain management system in the first place?
Because it is the next step to a conventional TOD system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Save for Range/Land Rovers, do others have something similar? Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Patrol, G-Wagen?
Oh yes, they do. Look up Active Drive, 4-ETS, and the Patrol's specs, you will know.

Multi mode 4WD systems are used worldwide and are hugely successful.

Too much OT discussion here I guess, ping me or let us take in further on the 4x4 section from here onwards if you need any more pointers.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:14   #1942
BHPian
 
nareshtrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Then why the terrain management system in the first place? I am not talking about obstacles where the torque split between wheels will take care if the situation.
Save for Range/ Rovers, do others have something similar? Jeeps, Land Cruisers, Patrol, G-Wagen?
Before this discussion goes completely off topic, I seek permission to submit the clarification - Mods, Kindly excuse one last post - To answer Sheel's question and also to bring reference to Endeavour, which is the topic here.

Yes both Jeep and Landcruiser have similar Terrain Management Systems. In Jeep, the Trail Rated vehicles have CommandTrac and in LandCruisers, they are called Multi Terrain Select. All these and Ford's Terrain Management System are very very similar. Also all these vehicles have Limited Slip Differential, unlike Fortuner.

By the way, to clarify and bring this back to the Thread Topic, This TMS system in Endeavour was developed by Ford - Land Rover. At that time, Ford owned Land Rover prior to selling to Tata's. That technology was then transferred to other Ford vehicles as well, the best known of the series being F150, 350 etc. and Raptor series. So what we have essentially is an improved version of erstwhile Land Rover developed TMS.

Also key to note is that while Toyota uses similar engines in Fortuner and LandCruisers, the latter have the TMS thereby justifying the higher price - of course apart from other features and creature comforts over Fortuner.

Essentially Fortuner was never positioned against these large 4x4 Trucks till it became a big hit in South East Asia, and of course, India and that is how Toyota decided to position it as a premium SUV in these "under-developed markets".

Hope this explains. Rest when we move to the 4x4 Forum. Thank you.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 23rd March 2017 at 09:31.
nareshtrao is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:18   #1943
BHPian
 
prateekvidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Before this discussion goes completely off topic, I seek permission to submit the clarification -
===============
Hope this explains. Rest when we move to the 4x4 Forum. Thank you.
I think this is very nicely summarised - the Indian market operates very differently from US as far as road presence SUVs is considered, which puts cars like Endeavour and Fortuner in a premium category. This, of course, is also driven by price-points due to our heavy import duties which makes the real premium SUVs a car only few can afford (unlike the US where price-points, interest rates and second hand market is highly suitable for masses).

That said, it doesnt take away anything from these 2 SUVs, they are still pretty good, and in the Indian context, the Endeavour is a high VFM offering - compare it to a ride in a Land Rover on Indian roads and you would find it difficult to justify the additional costs (including maintenance and second hand movement).

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd March 2017 at 11:51. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts. Thanks.
prateekvidya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 10:20   #1944
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 38
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

4)I am using the brand " laser shades"
They are magnetic and easy to remove and jnstall

Superb sun control and great visibility at night too
Hi Ecosport,

I saw the "laser shades" installed on Fortuner and they look really good. Do you know where I can get these from? I checked couple of local car deco shops but they don't have these for Endeavour.

Thanks
nrahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 11:21   #1945
BHPian
 
nareshtrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
Hi Ecosport,

I saw the "laser shades" installed on Fortuner and they look really good. Do you know where I can get these from? I checked couple of local car deco shops but they don't have these for Endeavour.

Thanks
I contacted Laser Shades and they responded that they have not yet launched a product for Endeavour.

However, I found this on Amazon which is almost exactly as good as Laser Shades. Good fit as well. Costs around Rs. 1200/-

http://www.amazon.in/Able-Spider-Mag...ilpage_o02_s00

edit: Just noticed, this is now out of stock

On a different subject: here is a link to a brief write-up in Autocar on the 4x4 drive experience organized earlier

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...ce-404500.aspx

Last edited by nareshtrao : 27th March 2017 at 11:42.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 12:22   #1946
Senior - BHPian
 
ecosport rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 1,336 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
Hi Ecosport,

I saw the "laser shades" installed on Fortuner and they look really good. Do you know where I can get these from? I checked couple of local car deco shops but they don't have these for Endeavour.

Thanks
Small world Rahul,we meet again.
Please PM me your mobile number as we forgot to exchange them at 3M



Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I contacted Laser Shades and they responded that they have not yet launched a product for Endeavour.

However, I found this on Amazon which is almost exactly as good as Laser Shades. Good fit as well]

Hello Nareshtrao ,

I have done extensive research on these shades as I was reluctant to install any kind of film.

Prices range from 1000 to 10000 and trust me, you get what you pay for.

Laser is the best in heat rejection and others follow in that order.

Another brand is 12 volts which is decent enough.

Zipper ones are the worst quality of the lot,also not safe as it covers the entire glass.(I think nrahul mentioned that he had bought these initially)
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 13:13   #1947
BHPian
 
nareshtrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 392
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
I have done extensive research on these shades as I was reluctant to install any kind of film.

Prices range from 1000 to 10000 and trust me, you get what you pay for.

Laser is the best in heat rejection and others follow in that order.

Another brand is 12 volts which is decent enough.

Zipper ones are the worst quality of the lot,also not safe as it covers the entire glass.(I think nrahul mentioned that he had bought these initially)
I totally agree. However, Laser Shades responded that they do not have one for the New Endeavour yet.

Which brand did you buy?
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 16:17   #1948
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TVM, BLR, HYD
Posts: 580
Thanked: 746 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Finally got the seat covers. These are the insert types so easy to insert and no stitching/damages to the leather seats. Hoping this will keep dirt away. Not available for the last row seats though.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20170327_135625.jpg
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20170327_135643.jpg
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 18:51   #1949
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Finally got the seat covers. These are the insert types so easy to insert and no stitching/damages to the leather seats. Hoping this will keep dirt away. Not available for the last row seats though.

Attachment 1623522
Attachment 1623523
Looks cool. Where did you get that?
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 19:01   #1950
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Finally got the seat covers. These are the insert types so easy to insert and no stitching/damages to the leather seats. Hoping this will keep dirt away. Not available for the last row seats though.



Attachment 1623522

Attachment 1623523

Looks cool but a couple of questions:

1/ do they stay on even after people move about in their seats? and 2/ will they impede the working of side airbags?

Thanks!
lollapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preview: Ford Endeavour S2!!! Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 849 16th February 2016 16:25
First official pics-2011 Ford ranger/ Endeavour sidindica The International Automotive Scene 9 28th May 2013 11:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks