Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 15th September 2016, 20:11   #1066
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
Got these off Ali a while back. They fit decently well and cover the carpet right up to the edges in all three seat rows.Much better protection than the standard Endeavor carpet mats sold by the dealer.
Got these delivered from AliExpress. Got slapped with a Customs of INR 2800. Still worth it. Awesome fit. Covers all of Grey Carpet as if "Custom Made". Very easy to clean.

p.s. Argued with Postmaster on Customs and she asked me to submit a letter for refund with a promise to follow up. I promptly submitted.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 20:26   #1067
BHPian

For the seat covers, I Was thinking of ordering these, they seem to be an apron/insert type cover that will not affect airbag functionality. Any thoughts ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...5-69169264b506

Another utilitarian option to avoid the plastic parts getting damaged. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...0-3a8296ec1614

For the power window switches https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...0-3a8296ec1614

Thought of sharing here.
sunishsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 10:33   #1068
BHPian

Has anyone tried the screen guard for the touchscreen infotainment system? While using the touch features, there are fingerprints all over the screen that looks odd.
sudhir5478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 11:00   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir5478 View Post
Has anyone tried the screen guard for the touchscreen infotainment system? While using the touch features, there are fingerprints all over the screen that looks odd.
This should help. I have ordered. Not yet received the shipment. But am sure this should be good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...08.0.70.uH420s
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 11:07   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir5478 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
This should help. I have ordered. Not yet received the shipment. But am sure this should be good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...08.0.70.uH420s
Cant we not use just about any screen guard. There are zillion aftermarket options available for tablets. Couldn't we just cut it to size and paste it on the screen ?

At the end of he day, touchscreen ICE / Navi unit is just like a touchscreen phone. IF you are lucky - you might even get a tempered glass screen for the same size.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 16:18   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
I've got a chance to drive 2.2 4x4 MT in Bangalore, a short test drive around 2- 4 KM's.

Observations from the short test drive :

Clutch is too light for an SUV

Gear throw is on the shorter side ( i would say little shorter than XUV )

Gear shift quality is far better than XUV

Gear stick length is good enough

Hill Launch Assit is present in the manual version too

As expected manual feels more powerful than the AT one

Also i have noticed the alloy finish is different for Titanium & Trend
Have you driven the car on a plane road. How is the power in straight road. I am contemplating on a 2.2 Now. Just because 3.2 doesn't come with a Manual.
anumod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 12:59   #1072

Everyone would has his own view not he 2.2 versus 3.2. Tried all variants before landing on 3.2 AT.
1. The 2.2 as compared to 3.2 feels tad underpowered. Try this under normal driving conditions for an SUV of this type ( 50% loading, diesel tanked up, 4 to 5 passengers)
2. The difference will be noticeable at low rpm torques
3. The comparison with XUV stands correct but not the right comparison
4. Your reason to go manual is for driving thrill or fuel efficiency - the later is now ignorable. The driving thrill on a manual for this size of car on Indian traffic situation will wear off rather quickly
maxsonlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 14:05   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Have you driven the car on a plane road. How is the power in straight road. I am contemplating on a 2.2 Now. Just because 3.2 doesn't come with a Manual.
Yes I did but it was a short drive. I would say its good enough for on road usage but I don't think bhp & Nm of 2.2 is enough for serious off roading coz of its weight. Also 4x4 MT is a full time All wheel drive vehicle.

I found something interesting from the Endeavour variants & pricing.

Ex Showroom Price for 2.2 4x2 MT & AT in Bangalore as follows

2.2 4x2 MT ₹25,50,032

2.2 4x2 AT ₹26,00,922

Price difference between MT & AT is 50 K

3.2 4x4 AT Trend is priced at ₹ 28,19,743 ( Ex Showroom BLR )
Which Means 3.2 4x4 MT can be priced at ₹ 27,69,743. Which is just 56K more than the existing 2.2 4x4 MT ! (Ex showroom Price : ₹27,12,877 )

Don't you guys think a potential customer will pick 3.2 over 2.2 for ~ ₹ 56K Difference ? (200 PS 470 Nm 5 Cylinder Engine ! ) isn't it a fair choice for a 4x4 vehicle ?

I was thinking the Manual gearbox may not be able to handle the high power and torque from the 3.2L 5 cylinder Engine - potential reason for Ford not launching the 3.2 MT model.

I was totally wrong as per the below link from Ford Thailand. 3.2 is indeed available in Thailand with 6 speed MT.

http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/rang...-xlt-4x4-6-mt/
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 20:52   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I did but it was a short drive. I would say its good enough for on road usage but I don't think bhp & Nm of 2.2 is enough for serious off roading coz of its weight. Also 4x4 MT is a full time All wheel drive vehicle.

I found something interesting from the Endeavour variants & pricing.

Ex Showroom Price for 2.2 4x2 MT & AT in Bangalore as follows

2.2 4x2 MT ₹25,50,032

2.2 4x2 AT ₹26,00,922

Price difference between MT & AT is 50 K

3.2 4x4 AT Trend is priced at ₹ 28,19,743 ( Ex Showroom BLR )
Which Means 3.2 4x4 MT can be priced at ₹ 27,69,743. Which is just 56K more than the existing 2.2 4x4 MT ! (Ex showroom Price : ₹27,12,877 )

Don't you guys think a potential customer will pick 3.2 over 2.2 for ~ ₹ 56K Difference ? (200 PS 470 Nm 5 Cylinder Engine ! ) isn't it a fair choice for a 4x4 vehicle ?

I was thinking the Manual gearbox may not be able to handle the high power and torque from the 3.2L 5 cylinder Engine - potential reason for Ford not launching the 3.2 MT model.

I was totally wrong as per the below link from Ford Thailand. 3.2 is indeed available in Thailand with 6 speed MT.

http://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/rang...-xlt-4x4-6-mt/
Thanks for your input . I think the initial pricing was a typo from their side. Today they revised the pricing for 2.2 models. Currently the 2.2 4X4 is available for 23.78 Vs 26.6 . And now this is really value for money. Please check the website .. http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/endeavour/models#step=1

Secondly 2.2 doesn't have electronic drive selection system, it is always four wheel drive?
anumod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 21:00   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Secondly 2.2 doesn't have electronic drive selection system, it is always four wheel drive?
I think if the vehicle is touted/specced to have 4wd, then it should always be enabled - as in the 4wd 3.2 Titanium I drove. (Unless it is a 2wd version)

The front wheels kicked in about .25 seconds after wheelspin felt on the rear wheels - electronic activation, I think.

This is why I love the current 4wd AT Fortuner (said to have TORSEN) - there is never any delay in engaging the 4wd - tested out recently in the heavy night rains in South Mumbai the other day.

Just like my old Audis - fantastic traction and no sudden movements/varied activations to possibly mess up my timing/traction/acceleration.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 20th September 2016 at 21:08.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 14:36   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
The front wheels kicked in about .25 seconds after wheelspin felt on the rear wheels - electronic activation, I think.

This is why I love the current 4wd AT Fortuner (said to have TORSEN) - there is never any delay in engaging the 4wd - tested out recently in the heavy night rains in South Mumbai the other day.
Really ?? .25 seconds of lag and still you could make it out !!!
Spec says that Endy is full time 4WD, then why should it even engage with a lag, aren't they always engaged ?

You seem to be a hardcore Fortuner fan subtly trying to hide that fact

Did you mention Wheel spin ? But then we do have traction control on Endy, why would it it allow the wheel to spin.. i'm confused.
pajero4me is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 14:50   #1077
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
I think if the vehicle is touted/specced to have 4wd, then it should always be enabled - as in the 4wd 3.2 Titanium I drove. (Unless it is a 2wd version)

Just like my old Audis - fantastic traction and no sudden movements/varied activations to possibly mess up my timing/traction/acceleration.
I completely agree with Superflyboy on the traction available with Fortuner 4x4 Auto, which I too own.

My work takes me to our Nashik factory frequently & I have noticed that the 4 lane highway that connects Mumbai to Nashik is poorly drained at most places & due to the undulating terrain with several twists & turns (unlike Mum Pune E'way) very few straight stretches are available.

What this means for the motorist is that one frequently encounters large puddles or collection of water on both the lanes of the highway. In fact in both lanes, there is a pronounced depression where the truck wheels normally would travel & this causes continuous stream of water to collect in these "Troughs" which are extremely dangerous.

Despite having full time four wheel drive, I have encountered Aqua Planing (Hydro Planing) several times where I have felt loss of traction on one of the wheels for a second or so.

Since I am an experience & discerning driver, I am able to anticipate this & be prepared for the same, I see several drivers on the highway who are completely oblivious to this & tend to enjoy the splashing of water as they drive fast through these water puddles / streams, not knowing about the danger due to aqua planing.

I therefore feel vindicated by my decision to go in for current Fortuner which is full time four wheel drive & am quite happy with the performance of the same over the past 30K kms in 11 months.
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 17:48   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajero4me View Post
Really ?? .25 seconds of lag and still you could make it out !!!
Yes, I can.

Maybe drivers like yourself are on paved roads all the time, where this might not be accentuated.

I was testing right outside the dealer's Panvel side road, which was covered with some loose stones/dirt.

Quote:
Spec says that Endy is full time 4WD, then why should it even engage with a lag, aren't they always engaged ?
Well, if they choose to use independent drive units front/back and/or if they wish to use a electronic clutch/switch/other form of engaging the 4wd, then there might be a lag.

If you read about TORSEN (as I did when I bought/used my Audi Quattros (S4s/Coupé) in the US), you would see that this was almost a continuously engaged system, which could (as I recall), put 100% of the power to the remaining (even 1) tire/wheel if the others were slipping.

I had no idea that the Fortuner had this, but now quite happy that it does. (As reported by another fellow BHP-ian)

Quote:
You seem to be a hardcore Fortuner fan subtly trying to hide that fact
I actually do not consider the Fortuner an optimum 4wd (or safe) vehicle.

I have always stated that the Endy has some very good features, but then with time (while *still* deciding on what to buy) and test drives, decided that the best option would still be the Fortuner. My requirements: Black leather interior, reliability, headroom, predicable transmission, clear and visible dashboard, etc. (Fortuner fails on basic safety, though - namely rear bumper (or lack thereof))

In fact, my Fortuner appears to be sitting *lower* than any other Fortuners on the road, Stormes, and also an Endy that I happened to be next to. Same with my Safari Dicor. Good or bad? I consider it good in terms of handling, as CoG is low. However, due to this, the Fortuner couldn't fully clear a *very, very* bad "road" out in Nhava Sheva on one occasion!

Quote:
Did you mention Wheel spin ? But then we do have traction control on Endy, why would it it allow the wheel to spin.. i'm confused.
It appeared to me that both of the rear wheels were spinning.

I understand traction control would brake one of the tires/wheels which were slipping, but that would probably be side-to-side in this case - and only for a fraction of a second before the front engaged.

However, this was the only time I noticed this - as I only took 1 test drive of the Endy.

After the Endy wouldn't accelerate in front of a motor-trailer bearing down on me after giving it an ample 2-3 seconds, the TD and the possibility of buying it was over...

I would hope they address all these issues, as the Endy appears to be a much more capable 4wd vehicle and with substantial extra (and safety) features than the current Fortuner.

However, I am happy enough for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
I completely agree with Superflyboy on the traction available with Fortuner 4x4 Auto, which I too own.
Thanks for bearing out my observations and findings.

Glad to see you are enjoying the 4wd AT Fortuner as I am. Just about to take it out on the road now in heavy rain in Mumbai - not really a 4wd situation, but one never knows!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 21st September 2016 at 18:04.
SuperFlyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 19:06   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, The New Fortuner is not a full time AWD vehicle.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 19:27   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, The New Fortuner is not a full time AWD vehicle.

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/
Yes, that is also a fact.

However, I was responding to the Endy manual tranny. (Not sure if manual comes in 4wd, though)
SuperFlyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote