Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 7th March 2016, 15:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra KUV100 : Official Review

Wonderful review with an eye for detail.

The vehicle looks very massive and perfect SUV from the front view. But, it's not the case with the side / rear view. The rear view is mostly that of a mild hatchback. Side profile clearly shows the vehicle got compressed from both the front and rear to squeeze it into sub 4m in length.

Looks are very subjective and it really seems Mahindra pulled a rabbit out of a hat.
Congratulations to them and hope the sales chart gets rocking in the coming months
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:45   #32
BHPian

My Brother-in-law took deliver of his KUV100 petrol last week. I drove it for couple of KM and i am impressed.

The driver seat position is great. the steering is light. The gear shift was nice but it took me few minutes to get used to the gear stick position.

Pickup of the petrol variant is adequate. Didn't get the change to test the brakes though.

Not sure about the 3rd passenger in the front row. Back row leg room was just about OK.

Overall i must say its a good car from Mahindra.
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:50   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
I take an exception to this statement. Are the people from smaller towns some sort of outcasts who have some different tastes as compared to folks in cities.
Hey, just to clarify - it wasn't meant in a demeaning way at all, so don't look at it like that.

Fact is, preferences are very different between urban & rural India. The same has been documented and studied an n number of times.

On the Nashik highway, and in Lonavla, we had people chasing the car, bikers surrounding me and asking me to stop etc. This didn't happen in Mumbai.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_in View Post
I'm certainly booking the grand i10 for its much more mature ride and handling package.Will post an ownership soon
Please check where the Headrests touch your head while seated in the front seats. For me, they were uncomfortably touching the top of my neck and base of skull. It was not only uncomfortable, but I also perceived it to be dangerous in case of an accident which caused whiplash. And as you mentioned your height, which is quite similar to mine, I thought of letting you know.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 7th March 2016 at 15:54.
drive2eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:59   #35
BHPian

Fantastic review guys - more than readers, I feel that manufacturers will learn much more about their products with the kind of reviews you provide. Simply super!

Coming to the car - I personally would never buy it. It's way to quirky for my liking and there's no wow factor to it in my opinion. Having said that, this car is likely to be a success especially in rural areas where the Bolero is a hit. Probably guys who can't afford the Bolero yet will go for the KUV100 and look at the Bolero as an upgrade in future.

On the car being inspired by animals as pointed out by a fellow member, I couldn't help but notice the similarity between the car and the cartoon character on my son's t-shirt this morning:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra KUV100 : Official Review-picture1.jpg  

avdhesh15 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Please check where the Headrests touch your head while seated in the front seats. For me, they were uncomfortably touching the top of my neck and base of skull. It was not only uncomfortable, but I also perceived it to be dangerous in case of an accident which caused whiplash. And as you mentioned your height, which is quite similar to mine, I thought of letting you know.
I can understand what you mean but the thing is I have extraordinarily long legs. My upper body is relatively short for a 6+ footer so the my head does rest on the head rest. And I did repeated test drives and the seats when pushed quiet some way back offered good comfort. Thanks for your advice
just_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 17:33   #37

As always, an excellent review team! Thoroughly insightful!

I did get to see a KUV100 on the road yesterday and I agree with the review, in so far as, it does look a bit better in flesh as opposed to the pics
The two things that really hit you on first glance are the 'odd' side profile and the small wheels! I concur that increasing the length by another ~250mm and larger wheels would have helped the cause.

In any case, it certainly has a presence and won't be ignored on the road (maybe loved or hated!).

The positive out of this launch is the decent petrol engine. I'm sure we will see more variants of that for the other cars from Mahindra stable down the line.

looking forward to some ownership reviews from our members now!

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2016 at 09:56. Reason: Typo
tifoso is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 22:33   #38
BHPian

A perfect, well rounded review Aditya! This takes the official Team-Bhp reviews to an all new level! The attention to detail, particularly this "Tow-hook cap has an arrow indicating where you should press to remove it". I mean, its simply not possible for a common man to even look at such tiny details on a brand new released car.

In this attempt, Mahindra has given it a try to create something unique with the KUV 100, like the middle seat in the front, the exterior styling, interior lighting, standard ABS and not to forget the compact price tag! Wish them a huge success
Venku2015 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 23:30   #39

Nice detailed review! I agree with moderator's view on the front, side and rear profile of KUV. A quick glance and the front profile gives it a look of a compact SUV on road in my opinion. It's the side and the rear profile that is very uncanny and makes you realize that this vehicle is probably not what you expected from a look at the front. The interiors, however, are nicely done and good amount of storage spaces inside.

Another disappointing feature is the sixth seat. I love it as an armrest and it looks way too comfortable to serve the same purpose. However, the purpose of it as a seat seems like a serious safety hazard, for both adults and kids.
T.S. is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 02:19   #40

Very well written review Aditya!
The design elements of the KUV100 do remind me of the KIA Soul sold in the US. It might be a big hit considering the utilitarian elements brought in by Mahindra and that might be something which ultimately sets them apart from the others
As an example I do foresee the sixth seat (center-arm rest) becoming more popular with the commercial segment.
With every manufacturer jumping in on the mini-SUV wave taking over the country, we might be seeing many more strange designs in the future.

Cheers!
mshirali is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 07:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The company’s best-selling products are the Bolero, Scorpio, TUV300 and XUV500.
I did not know the TUV had taken off. Sales reports aside, I have not seen many of these on the road.

Quote:
Because it's locking horns with the big guys, as a differentiator, ABS is standard and dual front airbags + an extra seat are offered on every variant.
The biggest mistake manufacturers were making with every new launch was to keep all the active safety options only on the top variants. It is good to know that this trend is changing. Competition is a good thing.

Quote:
To start with, the KUV100 rides on 14" wheels which are way too small for the height of car.
It is about time 15” rims are standard on this class of car.

Quote:
Squeaks & rattles are simply unacceptable on a brand new car!
A problem like this seems to surface very early in the life of even a XUV. Wonder why Mahindra can't iron out these glitches in manufacturing/assembly process. It is as if the company wants to remind you that you are driving an Indian car and that's just how its going to be. This applies for even Tata too, though I think they have come around a bit with the Zest and Bolt.

Quote:
Roof rails aren't tightly attached - they were shaking as I held them
One of the rattle points, that you, as a customer, will have no clue as to where it is coming from.

Quote:
The alarm will go off if the boot is unlocked this way.
Now that is just weird. Its not like you are using a fake key to open the car.

Quote:
Healthy amount of protection at the front
Something the KUV will need if the user ends up driving it like how they show it on the tv commercial.

Quote:
The large amount of beige lends a feeling of roominess to the interior & the overall colour scheme itself will be universally liked by everyone.
The images suggest they are high on quality too, which isn't the case everywhere.

Quote:
After experiencing Mahindra's UVs and their clunky gearshifts, I wasn't too optimistic of the KUV100's shift quality. Boy, was I left surprised. I loved the gearshift - it's smooth & light to use.
Did not expect this. Nice work Mahindra.

Quote:
Newbie drivers would prefer something more intelligent like an upshift / downshift recommendation tool.
Knowing a little about newbie drivers, I guess the indication of what gear they are in, is useful in itself. If they can't understand from the position of the stick, on what gear they have selected, the indicator should give them some indication on why the car is struggling to move and hopefully, save the clutch a little. However; as you say, the arrow pointing system is a better guide.

Quote:
Steering-mounted buttons on the left for audio & telephony.
Are they back lit?

Quote:
Important to mention, the RHS seat (behind the driver) is equipped with ISOFIX mounts to attach a child seat.
Well done Mahindra for offering ISOFIX mounts. When you went so far to ensure that a child seat is fastened in the most secure way possible, whats with trying to squeeze three people up front!

With the KUV1OO being an official six seater, there should be a proper 3 point seat belt and an airbag for the middle passenger up front.

Quote:
The company has excellent packaging skills.
Indeed.

Quote:
Very uniquely, there's an under-floor storage area here.
So more illegal cash and jewellery :-). No thug is going to think of a storage bin at this spot.

I was not too keen on reading this review. The car just does not appeal to me in any way. Then I thought, if Team Bhp does find the KUV worthy enough to be reviewed, there must be something interesting about it. All said and done, whether I like the design or not, the early indicators of the sales numbers, of the KUV, provide enough indication that this quirky looking thing has taken off.

Is this known as the KUV1OO or 100?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 8th March 2016 at 07:52.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 10:05   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
I think the quirky side view would be taken care of in the face-lifted version.
Facelifts never have sheet metal changes on the side, thus I don't think there's any chance of the quirky side being ironed out.

If a facelift has a sheet metal change, it's usually only to accommodate the newer lights & radiator grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
1. The VW Jetta is called an executive sedan in India and is associated with luxury and social status, whereas the same car is nothing but a compact sedan in the USA, much like our Dzire.
2. Cars like VW Passat, Skoda Superb and Honda Accord are considered as entry level luxury cars in India, whereas in the other markets, they are nothing but mid-sized cars, much like the Honda City.
Size & luxury are always relative . For some people, a Maruti Alto is a distant luxury; to others, a Toyota Camry isn't luxurious enough.

Those in the USA love it king size and, compared to other cars on the road, even a Corolla looks so small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
One thing that struck me is that, with the gear lever not being flat on the ground, you can no longer 'rest' (put weight of) your hand on the gear lever!
Rest your hand on the armrest . It's so comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I did not know the TUV had taken off.
Usually sells over 3,000 a month. That's pretty good for a Rs. 8 - 10 lakh 3-cylinder UV.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 14:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Awesomely detailed review as always! Fundamentally the car is all flawed, the handling, steering are all poor, the engine performance is pretty average, the looks are ugly at best and yet it has all the making of keeping its intended audience happy. I for one fail to fathom why anyone in his right mind would want this over the Tata Bolt, Swift, i20, Punto and Polo combine. There isn't one redeeming feature in the car.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 15:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I for one fail to fathom why anyone in his right mind would want this over the Tata Bolt, Swift, i20, Punto and Polo combine. There isn't one redeeming feature in the car.
Beyond the Scorpio and XUV500, Mahindra has always executed a quarter heart approach in other segments, They just want presence in the segment with an offering rather than be a segment leader. That's how I see it with their other current offerings. What I don't understand is with all the money and brains at their disposal, why they would not put all their efforts to compete well rather than bring out products like this over and over again. Their styling and naming of vehicles surely amuse me a lot.
sudeepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 15:52   #45
BHPian

Though looks are subjective, this KUV100 is wierd and looks like an inverted tea cup. This looks like an experiment created car by some IIT students as a project rather than a full fledged consistent hatchback created by an automotive company. Wish M&M focus on quality of car and service instead of trying to launch so many products (new models and facelifts) in such a less time.

After the XUV, the names of newer models like TUV, KUV will be difficult to remember. Reliable product line up though less will help a company image better than multiple unreliable Product line up. (I remember people walking into Tata showrooms to look at Indica, Indigo, CS, Marina, Safari, Vista, some other commercial vehicles that i forgot the names. ultimately people would walk off)

Last edited by raja_ys : 8th March 2016 at 15:58.
raja_ys is offline   Reply With Quote