Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2016, 18:54   #181
BHPian
 
Flanker99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 142
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

@BUXX. Yes it is criminal. But Honda will continue doing it as long as people like us are ready to pay a premium for their over priced vehicles.

Anyways look at it this way. Suppose you don't get these sensors and God forbid you damage your rear bumper, it will be just your fault and trust me Honda will charge a bomb for fixing it. But, if you go for the sensors and by chance rattles do develop in the warranty period it will be Honda's responsibility to sort that out until you are satisfied, and that too free of cost.

But let me add one thing. Probably a bit OT. If you like the BR-V then go for it. Don't let these relatively small issues spoil the fun of actually purchasing a new vehicle. Enjoy it while it's niggle free (hopefully forever). In my case I always dreamed of getting the Fit. That didn't work so got the Jazz instead when I had saved enough. Yes it's not niggle free. But 2015 was a terrible year for me on the personal front. Still, each morning when I look at my Jazz, my first car purchased with my own money, I think... well, atleast something did go right that year... I did manage to cross one item out of my bucket list. As for the niggles, there is plenty of time to sort those out.
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 18:54   #182
BHPian
 
-xplora-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 122
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

@ adithya.kp

HR-V competes with Tucson. CR-V competes with Santa Fe I guess. Honda in India does not have other large/premium SUV products in India like the Pilot which I often use in New York and its built like a tank.

Honda does not have a direct answer to Creta, hence it is taking a different route with BR-V. Honda might have to build a Brio based 5 seater if Creta sales rolls continues to tick.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2016 at 12:11. Reason: Quoted post deleted
-xplora- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 19:09   #183
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,418
Thanked: 9,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
HR-V competes with Tucson.
CRV competes with high end Tucson and mid level Santa FE depending on various markets. But HRV is clearly not up to Tucson standards. Just Google for 'CRV vs Tucson' and 'HRV vs Tucson' in YouTube and you should have your answer.

Had the same discussion few days back in this thread, and afterwards I went through multiple international comparisons to be sure how these cars stack up against each other.

HRV is a match for Creta in dimensions, specifications and the international ix25 matches it in features as well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th May 2016 at 19:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 19:38   #184
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 46
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
HRV is a match for Creta in dimensions, specifications and the international ix25 matches it in features as well.
I agree with you Sir. But if Honda plans for SUV in the form of HR-V for India, I guess they will place it above Creta and call it as a Super/Mighty SUV. Expecting competitive pricing from Honda is what we can not do any more. So, they may price it close to Tucson .
Doylthippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 20:23   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 162
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

This should have been the Mobilio in the first place. The problem with Honda is that it looks like a half-hearted attempt. Give rich interiors,give good technical features without any miss (example - rear parking sensor) and then please charge a premium. Honda seem to be providing 80% of the features and then charge 100% of the money. Rather give 100% of the features and charge even 120% even if you want!!
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 22:16   #186
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,256
Thanked: 4,875 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post

But let me add one thing. Probably a bit OT. If you like the BR-V then go for it. Don't let these relatively small issues spoil the fun of actually purchasing a new vehicle. Enjoy it while it's niggle free (hopefully forever). In my case I always dreamed of getting the Fit. That didn't work so got the Jazz instead when I had saved enough. Yes it's not niggle free. But 2015 was a terrible year for me on the personal front. Still, each morning when I look at my Jazz, my first car purchased with my own money, I think... well, atleast something did go right that year... I did manage to cross one item out of my bucket list. As for the niggles, there is plenty of time to sort those out.
Don't worry about your Jazz not being niggle free. Everybody says Honda Civic was the last true Honda in terms of quality etc - but know what? These are the issues I faced with my 2007 Honda Civic in the last 6 years -

1) CD Player conked off thrice. First two times, I got it repaired - the third time, I just stopped using it.

2) Clutch made loud irritating creaking sound when pedal is depressed. This happened something like 20 or 30 times in 6 years. Solution is to spray copious amount of ZORRIK (its like WD 40)

3) Rear door beading fell off (partly) twice. Didn't bother replacing it again.

4) Improperly worn rear tyres: Idiots at Honda dealer never did wheel alignment properly

5) Unsolvable wheel alignment issue (resulted in rough ride quality and non-centering steering): Happened only once, and was eventually sorted after two months. Only after multiple visits to various wheel alignment centers.

6) Lower back ache in the last 2 years during long drives: Either I'm getting old or the leather seats had hardened.

But the Civic had the basics covered -> engine power, snappy gearshift, solid ride and handling, feelsome steering and rocking sound system. Everything else is forgiven.

The question to ask is - do you enjoy driving the Jazz?

Last edited by smartcat : 30th May 2016 at 22:18.
smartcat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 00:13   #187
BHPian
 
-xplora-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 122
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
CRV competes with high end Tucson and mid level Santa FE depending on various markets. But HRV is clearly not up to Tucson standards. Just Google for 'CRV vs Tucson' and 'HRV vs Tucson' in YouTube and you should have your answer.

Had the same discussion few days back in this thread, and afterwards I went through multiple international comparisons to be sure how these cars stack up against each other.

HRV is a match for Creta in dimensions, specifications and the international ix25 matches it in features as well.
I beg to differ. How can you say HR-V and Creta specifications match ? HR-V is a 1.8 litre 141bhp engine to start with. Equipment and feature wise it has much more than Creta/ix25.

Coming to CR-V / Tucson / Santa Fe etc. If we go variants within models, then obviously there will be overlaps.

Creta < HR-V <= Tucson <= CR-V <= Santa Fe < Pilot.

Even pricing in the worlds biggest market mimics this logic and reviews do too.
-xplora- is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 01:03   #188
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,418
Thanked: 9,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
How can you say HR-V and Creta specifications match ? HR-V is a 1.8 litre 141bhp engine to start with.
You are right. But, that's for the US market with its preference for large petrol motors.

UK and other similar markets gets a 1.5L iVTec and a 1.6L iDTec with 130ps, 155Nm and 120ps, 300 Nm respectively. Not far off from the Creta.

Dimensions you can compare. It's similar too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Equipment and feature wise it has much more than Creta/ix25.
Upcoming facelift ix25 has most of it covered. Details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3981753 (Hyundai Creta : Official Review)

Anyways, be it Honda or Hyundai, half of these features won't make it to India anyways. The ones that are likely to make it on the HRV are already present in the Creta.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 01:42   #189
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,256
Thanked: 4,875 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Creta seems to be a developing countries (India/China) only product. Any guesses as to why Creta is not sold in developed countries?

I did this small "Spreadsheet shootout" between Ertiga VXi AT and BR-V CVT. Many aspects of this shootout can also be used by people who want to compare other variants of Ertiga and BR-V. From this spreadsheet, you will get an idea about how much you are paying for all the "SUV" bits of BR-V

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv.jpg

The BR-V V CVT also has the following additional features over Ertiga VXi AT -

16 inch Alloy Wheels (Ertiga has steel wheels)
Projector Headlamps
Keyless Entry
Keyless Engine Start Stop
Automatic Climate Control
Electric Foldable OVRM
2nd Row Tumbling Seats
3rd Row Tumbling Seats
3rd Row Reclining Seats
Steering Paddle shifts

Last edited by smartcat : 31st May 2016 at 01:44.
smartcat is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 04:42   #190
BHPian
 
Flanker99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 142
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
But the Civic had the basics covered -> engine power, snappy gearshift, solid ride and handling, feelsome steering and rocking sound system. Everything else is forgiven.

The question to ask is - do you enjoy driving the Jazz?
I think you answered the question yourself.... Ofcourse I do. I think all Honda owners, current as well as aspiring ones, unanimously will agree to the fact that the iVTEC is an absolute gem. Even the iDTEC, although a bit coarse, has its share of fans here. And in any case what exactly in life is perfect? Be it man or machine, everything has some shortcoming or the other.

Cheers.
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 10:00   #191
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 8
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My dealer had a large banner (finance offers) next to base Amaze directly addressing Ola/Uber drivers. The banner was actually in Kannada language.
This is a good move. Sales in general segment could be hit or miss as it remains to be seen how well people like the looks/features of BR-V. Taxi segment will be a good driver of sales in my opinion.
naphill is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 10:17   #192
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,328
Thanked: 490 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I did this small "Spreadsheet shootout" between Ertiga VXi AT and BR-V CVT. Many aspects of this shootout can also be used by people who want to compare other variants of Ertiga and BR-V. From this spreadsheet, you will get an idea about how much you are paying for all the "SUV" bits of BR-V
This 140 kmph limit, does it apply to all BRVs or it is only for the CVT version?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 11:17   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

One important thing is the specs posted by @smartcat above is the rear seat width.
In the older version of the Jazz and City, it was 135 cm whereas BR-V is only 127 cm. That is a good 8 cm/ 3 inches less. I am sure the new Jazz or City might be same or even better. No wonder people are complaining about the problem of sitting 3 in the BR-V second row. Honda should have taken care of this. I guess there are restrictions due to using the Brio platform.

I think someone raised a point about why Honda is failing to read what the India car buyers are looking for in a car like BR-V. The point is - the BR-V is not a car made for India. It is mainly meant for a market like Indonesia which loves 7 seaters. It seems to be doing very well there. It's a matter of fact that Honda India does not have the willingness to put money and effort in understanding the Indian market and making cars or tailoring the features list to match the buyers' preferences. So, in absence of that, they are bringing cars mainly targeted for other markets to India and unable to hit the bulls' eye. Even if Honda continues to do so, I would prefer if they bring their truly global products like Civic/HRV to India along with the ones made for the developing countries like the BR-V
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 11:57   #194
BHPian
 
Aaron:)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bombay
Posts: 153
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
I beg to differ. How can you say HR-V and Creta specifications match ? HR-V is a 1.8 litre 141bhp engine to start with. Equipment and feature wise it has much more than Creta/ix25.

Coming to CR-V / Tucson / Santa Fe etc. If we go variants within models, then obviously there will be overlaps.

Creta < HR-V <= Tucson <= CR-V <= Santa Fe < Pilot.

Even pricing in the worlds biggest market mimics this logic and reviews do too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You are right. But, that's for the US market with its preference for large petrol motors.

UK and other similar markets gets a 1.5L iVTec and a 1.6L iDTec with 130ps, 155Nm and 120ps, 300 Nm respectively. Not far off from the Creta.

Dimensions you can compare. It's similar too.



Upcoming facelift ix25 has most of it covered. Details here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3981753 (Hyundai Creta : Official Review)

Anyways, be it Honda or Hyundai, half of these features won't make it to India anyways. The ones that are likely to make it on the HRV are already present in the Creta.
This month's Autocar India has an article about Honda's future plans. They are planning to bring the Civic next year and are evaluating the HR-V. The HR-V will be priced in the 16-22 lakh bracket i.e. against the Tucson. It will be powered by the 1.8 petrol engine. The 1.6 diesel sold internationally is also being evaluated and tuned for India.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 12:53   #195
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 573
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Just got a call from my dealer- CVT deliveries started !!
Was offered a white , but I want Silver

No CVT TD vehicle yet ..
BUXX is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 2612 23rd November 2016 21:03
Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 338 16th October 2015 15:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks