Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:11   #376
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
In what way did you find s-cross's build quality near to FIAT?

It maybe the best among vehicles from Maruti and Honda, but I would say still far behind from FIAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Looks are very subjective, I find Creta's front look not as good as BR-V's, both look modern but the head-lamp cluster of BR-V is much better looking and well integrated. Length wise yes, it is a long car, but then again it gives extra row seating so pick your poison. BTW, would you say the same if you were looking at an Audi Q7 ?



Every manufacturer elongates the life of their generation platforms especially small car platforms in India, How is the platform a "flop" ? Amaze is based on Brio and is the highest selling Honda car in India and is giving a reasonable fight in that segment over others barring Maruti that we all know just cannot be toppled in the small car segment.



You have an issue with how BR-Vs front looks and yet you are okay with the ultra out-dated looks of S-Cross ? "Driving Dynamics" wise I can tell you BR-V is pretty high up there, way better than Creta especially handling and braking. Fiat being on top of the list.

I think there is a stark difference between the petrol and diesel versions of BR-V, anyone looking specifically for diesel might find other options more refined and that may swing them. However, when it comes to petrol and CVT, BR-V has a very strong case plus several so called competitors either don't offer petrol or automatics e.g. S-Cross.
First of all, let's agree to disagree. You don't have to get so sentimental about a car because you own or like it. For that matter, I have owned a Honda since 11 years both in India and abroad purely for the kind of cars they made.

I steer clear of controversial stmts like "A Honda is a Honda" and neither do I agree to such baseless rhetoric. You may like BR-V, but for me I will never spend my hard earned money which looks like a India centric budgeted compromise from every angle except what I liked (engine and drivability) and I mentioned this before.

For me there 2 are main problems with BR-V for which I didn't like it.
1. Looks
2. Worth the Price i.e the VFM factor.

Coming to s-Cross, AFA the built quality is concerned, I compared it to FIAT and rated it a notch lower because I felt so, Big deal. Regarding the dated looks, how about Punto, Polo, Linea or Swift ? Aren't they dated and are still considered timeless. Why so much of a fuss by giving the s-cross the same space because I think so.

My friends, it all boil downs to personal preferences and tastes. We can have endless arguments but still at the end of the day, you will like BR-V and I won't. So no point in arguing.

I don't mean to offend any existing or prospective owners and I am sure the T-BHP crowd is intelliegent and sensible to understand this. I am just putting my opinion. You don't have to

Cheers..
Shiv
Shiv_1984 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:21   #377
BHPian
 
kaviprem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 753
Thanked: 427 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Some updates:

- My car has arrived at the dealer warehouse. It will be in my house by Saturday/Monday.
Congratulations !
you have made the right decision by paying less and sticking onto BR-V instead of jumping upto XUV
Paddle shifters a worthy addition, you will love it, especially on the high ways.
CVT - a breeze in this pathetic Bangalore traffic.

Trust me - I am driving [enjoying] City CVT for the past 4 months in both Bangalore traffic and highway [to Madras] !

Congratulations again, keep us posted post your delivery with all the details.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:07   #378
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,243
Thanked: 4,768 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
except what I liked (engine and drivability) and I mentioned this before. For me there 2 are main problems with BR-V for which I didn't like it. 1. Looks 2. Worth the Price i.e the VFM factor.
Your review was quite fair, since you listed both positives and negatives.

However, since your friend eventually bought a S-Cross (and not Ertiga, Lodgy, XUV500 or Innova), it is very obvious that 2nd row reclining seats, massive legroom, 3rd row seats etc were not important to him. You were basically at a wrong showroom and looking at the wrong model (hence BRV did not appear VFM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

Trust me - I am driving [enjoying] City CVT for the past 4 months in both Bangalore traffic and highway [to Madras] !
Aah yes, my dealer actually offered (which I took) a test drive of Honda City CVT when I asked for BRV test drive two months back. After all, BRV CVT is 40% Honda City! (and 15% Brio, 40% Mobilio, 5% Amaze )
smartcat is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:13   #379
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

I have also changed color of my BR V to Tafeta white because better half didn't like golden brown color, white enhances black cladding all around.
SA says that he will deliver the car this month itself, according to him Honda has produced more white color cars this month.
jacksons is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:20   #380
BHPian
 
-xplora-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 122
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
First of all, let's agree to disagree. You don't have to get so sentimental about a car because you own or like it. For that matter, I have owned a Honda since 11 years both in India and abroad purely for the kind of cars they made.

I steer clear of controversial stmts like "A Honda is a Honda" and neither do I agree to such baseless rhetoric. You may like BR-V, but for me I will never spend my hard earned money which looks like a India centric budgeted compromise from every angle except what I liked (engine and drivability) and I mentioned this before.

For me there 2 are main problems with BR-V for which I didn't like it.
1. Looks
2. Worth the Price i.e the VFM factor.

Coming to s-Cross, AFA the built quality is concerned, I compared it to FIAT and rated it a notch lower because I felt so, Big deal. Regarding the dated looks, how about Punto, Polo, Linea or Swift ? Aren't they dated and are still considered timeless. Why so much of a fuss by giving the s-cross the same space because I think so.

My friends, it all boil downs to personal preferences and tastes. We can have endless arguments but still at the end of the day, you will like BR-V and I won't. So no point in arguing.

I don't mean to offend any existing or prospective owners and I am sure the T-BHP crowd is intelliegent and sensible to understand this. I am just putting my opinion. You don't have to

Cheers..
Shiv
Dude, first of all I am not sentimental at all. If you read the first sentence in my reply it states "looks are subjective" you like apples I like oranges.

I have never owned a Honda ever, neither am I a big fan of Honda. I love Fiat and have one since several years. You can check that in my earlier posts also.

Having said that, BR-V suits my requirements and there is nothing else that matches it in the similar price bracket, so I am planning to buy one. If Fiat had made a 1.6 or 1.9 AT in India I would still buy another Linea. Am waiting for Aegea / Egea which is supposed to come with 7 speed DCT.

What I find odd is extremely biased opinions like "stand a chance against Creta. NO WAY" hence my reply. When did you see someone in this thread posting "Honda is a Honda ? or any such rehtorics ?"

If you have something specific to say about both the cars i.e. BR-V vs Anything on facts / preferences, that adds value to the forum and this thread, it is most appreciated, but your response to my reply has no answers on that. Looks like you are getting sentimental and defensive here . Peace out!

Last edited by -xplora- : 23rd June 2016 at 13:23.
-xplora- is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:41   #381
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Your review was quite fair, since you listed both positives and negatives.

However, since your friend eventually bought a S-Cross (and not Ertiga, Lodgy, XUV500 or Innova), it is very obvious that 2nd row reclining seats, massive legroom, 3rd row seats etc were not important to him. You were basically at a wrong showroom and looking at the wrong model (hence BRV did not appear VFM)
I take that as a fair argument and would say yes, my friend is 2+ 1/2 and hence, BRV's USPs didnt matter to him much. My only problem is Honda cutting costs and not price. Indian consumers are smarter and affluent than ever before so giving them the right product at the right price point is very important. But then look at CRETA, even priced 10% more than what it deserves and still running as a house full will 3-4 months waiting. Now this is intelligent market positioning.

Paying 1.5 mio and not getting the now considered laundry features is not acceptable. Quality of materials used is another aspect. Looks are very personal and there cannot be a generalization. I was one of among those rare souls who went an bought a Brio as I liked it's quirky looking rear styling as its USP in addition to the nice IVTEC. But, that was me.

Cheers..
Shiv

Hey Buddy, Don't get aggressive, no one likes it on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Dude, first of all I am not sentimental at all. If you read the first sentence in my reply it states "looks are subjective" you like apples I like oranges.
Exaclty, so there was no reason for you to confront me on that front in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
What I find odd is extremely biased opinions like "stand a chance against Creta. NO WAY" hence my reply. When did you see someone in this thread posting "Honda is a Honda ? or any such rehtorics ?"
When did I say in this thread ? May be you haven't scanned much of T-BHP yet. Spend some more time with it and you will come across such statements several time in several different contexts. Some come as positive and some negative but people have a right to express their views.

And Sir, pls, there is nothing biased in giving my opinion just because you don't agree to it. Let's see how many CRETAs will sell compared to BRVs within a time stamp, say next 3 months. Do a feature to feature comparison, do a quality comparison, check the resale value, do the engine comparison considering the diesel will sell more and you will have your answer. Creta drives well and this has been confirmed by several reviewers too. So, I think you are getting biased and not me. Creta is a more VFM product and there is no 2 ways about it. If you don't care about quality, features, overall built andsnob value and instead value more leg space and additional row, mind telling how does those who think otherwise become biased ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
If you have something specific to say about both the cars i.e. BR-V vs Anything on facts / preferences, that adds value to the forum and this thread, it is most appreciated, but your response to my reply has no answers on that. Looks like you are getting sentimental and defensive here . Peace out!
What I only said is, this is my personal opinion and so you have the liberty to agree or disagree. What is defensive about it and why would I get sentimental about CRETA, neither I own one nor am I going to. So, hold your horses before you much such judgements. To me CRETA is a better product inside out, and I stand by it.

I have been through and seen these arguments several times just bacause someone is owning or going to own something. I mean no offense against anyone but this fanboy type editorials are of no use.

You have complete freedom to quote my entire post but, to me, extending this discussion is sheer wastage of time and this is exaclty what I said before.

BTW, congrats on your purchase of the BRV. Have a great time with it.


Cheers..
Shiv

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd June 2016 at 17:54. Reason: Posts merged.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 14:53   #382
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 275
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
I have also changed color of my BR V to Tafeta white because better half didn't like golden brown color, white enhances black cladding all around.
SA says that he will deliver the car this month itself, according to him Honda has produced more white color cars this month.
That seems correct. My Dealer too had a shade of white and Golden Brown available in CVT Petrol for people who had booked, incase I wanted to change my choice from Silver.
The Golden Brown surely looks goods on the sedan, but will look strange on a Van, however to each his own and colour likeability is subjective.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:28   #383
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,417
Thanked: 9,304 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Touchscreen HU with GPS
Reversing Camera
Parking sensors
Front Arm Rest
PVC seat covers
Congrats buddy. Your long wait is coming to an end.

Do you have the details for above items?

70k seems to be on the higher side IMO. If warranty concerns are not there with the dealer, you can get excellent speakers as well within the same price range if you get it done aftermarket.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:44   #384
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,243
Thanked: 4,768 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Do you have the details for above items?

70k seems to be on the higher side IMO. If warranty concerns are not there with the dealer, you can get excellent speakers as well within the same price range if you get it done aftermarket.
This is the breakup -

Interiors:

MyAVN Touchscreen Music Player, GPS & Reversing Camera (Rs. 35,000)
Kit Seat Cover PVC With Perforation (Rs. 12000)
Parking Sensor with display on IRVM (Rs. 6000)
Front Armrest (Rs. 6000)

Exteriors:

Front Bumper Protectors (Rs. 2000)
Front Guard (Rs. 8500)
Front Fender Garnish (Rs. 2700)
Body Side Moulding Armour (Rs.9000)
Rear Bumper Protectors (Rs. 2000)

Total Accessories quote: Rs. 84,000
Discount: 20% (after haggling with accessories guy over Whatsapp chat )
Price to be paid: Rs. 70,000

All accessories picked from the official BRV brochure
https://www.hondacarindia.com/BRV/BR...20broucher.pdf
smartcat is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 09:06   #385
BHPian
 
Kratos453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Looks apart, build quality apart, let's agree that the car has got a USP (Unique selling point) here - 7 seater SUV (MUV cross SUV rather) Petrol CVT. I don't think a similar kind of species is existing in the car industry in India as on date.

Let's look at a comparison between BRV and CRETA to analyze where the Honda BRV has an edge over CRETA and where it loses out.

BRV vs CRETA:
I think CRETA is the biggest competitor for BRV more than any other car.

Where BRV wins over CRETA:
- 7 seater
- Handling
- More stable at higher speeds
- CRETA’s light steering
- Honda's CVT

Where CRETA wins over BRV:
- Better looks (Though subjective, if we are asked to vote CRETA will win in this department)
- Premium Interior quality
- Feature rich
- CRETA's Diesel engine is far more refined and far better to drive in comparison

Note: I have never driven Honda BRV and hence my above points are based on reviews and comments only. Please do add more comparisons or correct me if I wrong

Last edited by Kratos453 : 24th June 2016 at 09:09. Reason: typo
Kratos453 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 09:33   #386
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 16
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post

Where BRV wins over CRETA:
- 7 seater
- Handling
- More stable at higher speeds
- CRETA’s light steering
- Honda's CVT
I am not sure BR-V is more stable at higher speeds. Its speed limited to 140 Km/Hr just like the mobilio, amaze and brio. If it's more stable at higher speeds Honda would have just removed that speed limit. I think Honda has less confidence on the cars based on this platform once the speed touches 140 Kms/Hr.
achu411 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 10:30   #387
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 46
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

OT: No Manufacturer can give in writing that their car will be stable at any higher speeds, as it depends on the road conditions and the person behind the wheel.
Coming to the Speed limit of Honda Brio Platform, many people from the market other than T-BHP are not aware of this. I do not think the speed limit is related to the confidence of the manufacturer.
Doylthippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 10:38   #388
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,417
Thanked: 9,304 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Interiors:

MyAVN Touchscreen Music Player, GPS & Reversing Camera (Rs. 35,000)
Kit Seat Cover PVC With Perforation (Rs. 12000)
Parking Sensor with display on IRVM (Rs. 6000)
Front Armrest (Rs. 6000)

Exteriors:

Front Bumper Protectors (Rs. 2000)
Front Guard (Rs. 8500)
Front Fender Garnish (Rs. 2700)
Body Side Moulding Armour (Rs.9000)
Rear Bumper Protectors (Rs. 2000)

Total Accessories quote: Rs. 84,000
Discount: 20% (after haggling with accessories guy over Whatsapp chat )
Price to be paid: Rs. 70,000
Ah! Many others not previously mentioned as well.

From the brochure image, front guard looks like plastic stuck to the front bumper, which is fine. Hope it's not bolted to the chassis, as it could prevent airbag deployment when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylthippo View Post
I do not think the speed limit is related to the confidence of the manufacturer.
Any other logic why Mobilio/ Amaze/ BRV gets the speed limiter while City and Jazz does not?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 10:55   #389
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,243
Thanked: 4,768 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu411 View Post
I am not sure BR-V is more stable at higher speeds. Its speed limited to 140 Km/Hr just like the mobilio, amaze and brio. If it's more stable at higher speeds Honda would have just removed that speed limit. I think Honda has less confidence on the cars based on this platform once the speed touches 140 Kms/Hr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any other logic why Mobilio/ Amaze/ BRV gets the speed limiter while City and Jazz does not?
Speed limit unlikely to have anything to do with stability at high speeds, but with usable life of the car's components.

Remember that this is a low cost platform. And components that make up the platform are likely to be "under-engineered". That is, if you run a brio platform car at 160 kmph for 24 hrs a day for 10 days continuously in a closed circuit, the life of the some components (not engine/transmission) would deteriorate significantly more than a Honda Jazz in similar conditions.

If other low cost car platforms don't have this "feature", it is likely that the management doesn't care much about reduction in life of components at high speeds. After all, cars cross 140 kmph only momentarily.

Quote:
From the brochure image, front guard looks like plastic stuck to the front bumper, which is fine. Hope it's not bolted to the chassis, as it could prevent airbag deployment when needed.
I think the dealer will be using this -

Name:  13.16088.00.jpg
Views: 2211
Size:  21.8 KB

Last edited by smartcat : 24th June 2016 at 11:05.
smartcat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2016, 11:04   #390
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 46
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Any other logic why Mobilio/ Amaze/ BRV gets the speed limiter while City and Jazz does not?
Sir, They have imposed the speed limit only on diesel and not on petrol. If they are not confident about their platform doing those speeds, they should have imposed on petrol as well.
Doylthippo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 2612 23rd November 2016 21:03
Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 338 16th October 2015 15:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:04.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks