Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2016, 09:37   #496
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Completed 5k Kms this week with my Crysta GX AT. Gave it for the 2nd free service today and asked them to check the alignment as the car was pulling to the left. Also there are vibrations felt on the steering while braking at high speeds. (Same as what Sankar mentioned in one of his posts on his Crysta) Asked them to check both and the technician who took the test drive confirmed that alignment is fine and its the steering position that is little off. He also confirmed that there are some issues with braking at high speeds and have suggested to get the front brake discs to be checked. One of the SA initially said they will check and see if skimming is required and later confirmed, that they need to replace the disc under warranty. I dont have much details about it now and will gather more tomorrow when I go to pick up the car.

I am disappointed with the overall Toyota Service experience on 3 different occasions. Will share more details in a seperate post after I pick up my car tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about it Sankar. Have you got it fixed?

I saw one from Coozo on their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/coozocarmat...45346172150771

They have uploaded pics for the Manual Crysta. Looked good overall and I asked them specifically about the AT variant. They are confident that it will fit well in AT too, but I asked them to share the pics of the AT variant if they have any. Have looked at lot of options and this seems to be the best bet, considering the price (~5k) they are offering for 5D mats. I can manage the driver side, as its mostly the other areas in my car that gets really dirty. Its become a nightmare to maintain the car with the OEM rubber mats provided by Toyota.
Hi Greg, we seem to share a few common niggles with our Crystas

In my crysta the vibrations on the steering while braking has now come back after approximately 4200Kms of driving since brake disc skimming. The issue was reported during 2nd service and they skimmed the rotors. Now at 9200Kms it has come back and I am going to take it in for 3rd service tomorrow. Please let me know what they did when you get the car back.

Please share pics of the 5D mat when you have them. I badly need to get a set of good mats, or do complete vinyl wrapping.

I am yet to get the windshield replaced, too few working days in the previous week and i had to do a Chennai trip with Crysta and so didn't get time to get it fixed yet. I reached yesterday evening. The crack has stopped growing and is now stable after taking a slight curve downwards. Windshield replacement takes 7 days it seems and mine is going to be the first one it seems.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 11:58   #497
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,453
Thanked: 873 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Windshield replacement takes 7 days it seems and mine is going to be the first one it seems.
Have you checked with the ASS on cash or insurance modes?

It should not take that long. Hardly half a day's job and they mostly have these in stock. You can easily drive the next day after fitting. Although, you will have to bear with the sticking tapes visible all around on the edges of the windshield, they will come off with time. The compound is pretty quick and fast setting. The enclosing frame and bottom frame support greatly helps.

I have first hand experience with the same and for about 50k kms after the replacement, there is absolutely no issues even when I had literally driven on rough roads after the replacement with sticking tapes still on.

However, the same is not true for rear windshield which does not have frame to hold and necessarily needs complete settling before taking on road.

With cash mode, it is straight process. With insurance, it should take about 3 days at most.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 13:31   #498
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Have you checked with the ASS on cash or insurance modes?

It should not take that long. Hardly half a day's job and they mostly have these in stock. You can easily drive the next day after fitting. Although, you will have to bear with the sticking tapes visible all around on the edges of the windshield, they will come off with time. The compound is pretty quick and fast setting. The enclosing frame and bottom frame support greatly helps.

I have first hand experience with the same and for about 50k kms after the replacement, there is absolutely no issues even when I had literally driven on rough roads after the replacement with sticking tapes still on.

However, the same is not true for rear windshield which does not have frame to hold and necessarily needs complete settling before taking on road.

With cash mode, it is straight process. With insurance, it should take about 3 days at most.
They don't have the windshield in stock they said. So the process involving insurance survey, then ordering the windshield and then replacing it all combined takes 7 days they said. Thanks for the reassurance, was worried how its going to be post replacement with regard to fitting and leaks.
Not decided whether to claim insurance or pay cash, I will take a decision tomorrow after getting Crysta price. How much did it cost you for the windshield?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 13:59   #499
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 316
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hi Greg, we seem to share a few common niggles with our Crystas

In my crysta the vibrations on the steering while braking has now come back after approximately 4200Kms of driving since brake disc skimming. The issue was reported during 2nd service and they skimmed the rotors. Now at 9200Kms it has come back and I am going to take it in for 3rd service tomorrow. Please let me know what they did when you get the car back.

Please share pics of the 5D mat when you have them. I badly need to get a set of good mats, or do complete vinyl wrapping.
Got the car back last night. They changed both the front discs under warranty. Reason given to me by the SA is they are worn out and had to be replaced. I asked them to show them to me, but they denied saying that they have already sent to Toyota R&D to get to the root cause. Brake pads seems to be fine.

I am not satisfied with their explanation as why would anyone replace the discs on a brand new vehicle.

Haven't got a chance to confirm it. Need to get onto the open roads and do some high speeds to check it. Also the steering has become light now. Not sure what they did, but am happy about it. It's now become very easy to park the car.

I would have easily ignored the steering vibration issue while braking at high speeds if not for the steering alignment issue. Since I asked them to check both, the technician who drove my vehicle confirmed there is something wrong that needs to checked.

Last edited by samabhi : 16th October 2016 at 14:01.
samabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 14:45   #500
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,453
Thanked: 873 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
How much did it cost you for the windshield?
It had costed me about Rs 12000/- back then on cash, about 4 years back, can't say now. Happened due to a stone coming from opposite side on highway in night, urged them for immediate replacement next day and they got it done the same day.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 11:51   #501
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Went to Toyota and there's another Crysta already in the workshop with a broken windshield caused by a flying stone so mine is not the first! Vehicle is in for 3rd servicing, fixing a small scratch on RL door near handle, solving steering vibration on braking. Windshield will be replaced on another day after receiving the part it is not in stock at Tvm.

Steering wheel shake on braking noticeable in video. Its not easy to capture it in video but it can be felt while braking from higher speeds, if braking is gradual, if stomped on the pedal its not as much noticeable. Watch in 1080P.


@0:06 secs & @1:07 secs


@ 0:16 secs & @0:37 secs

Last edited by Sankar : 17th October 2016 at 12:20.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 16:02   #502
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 1,615
Thanked: 1,743 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Steering wheel shake on braking noticeable in video
To me, it appears to be from tyres. Are you still on OE or have got these changed? Can you get the wheels re-balanced at some place who have high speed machines ( like hunter)
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 17:45   #503
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
To me, it appears to be from tyres. Are you still on OE or have got these changed? Can you get the wheels re-balanced at some place who have high speed machines ( like hunter)
I got the tyre balancing done twice but no joy, first when i changed to these Michelins and the second time which was a few weeks ago at an acclaimed tyre shop in Cochin. But I dont think it was done on high speed balancing machines. I do not know if it is available in my city (Trivandrum).
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 08:50   #504
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 140
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I got the tyre balancing done twice but no joy, first when i changed to these Michelins and the second time which was a few weeks ago at an acclaimed tyre shop in Cochin. But I dont think it was done on high speed balancing machines. I do not know if it is available in my city (Trivandrum).
Get your ball joints and suspension/steering linkages checked.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 11:10   #505
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Get your ball joints and suspension/steering linkages checked.
Problem is with brake rotors. Had the same issue in my Polo GT TDI nearing 10,000Kms.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 13:59   #506
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,199
Thanked: 1,147 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Issues in suspension/steering linkages can potentially cause brake warp and cause the vibrations on steering under braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Problem is with brake rotors. Had the same issue in my Polo GT TDI nearing 10,000Kms.
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 15:01   #507
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 1,615
Thanked: 1,743 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Problem is with brake rotors
Looks I misunderstood your issue, if vibrations are only on braking, this can be due to rotors on a new car. I don't think suspension or linkages will get worn off. Since they have already skimmed rotors once, you should ask them to replace these under warranty Maybe you can give reference of Samabhi who has got these replaced.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th October 2016 at 15:14.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 16:05   #508
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Issues in suspension/steering linkages can potentially cause brake warp and cause the vibrations on steering under braking.
Brake rotor warp is material defect due to which high and low spots are formed on the surface when in use due to heat cycling. Bad steering/suspension linkages does not cause brake rotor warp. But it can work in reverse. i.e., warped rotors and thus the resulting vibrations can fasten the wear on related suspension and steering components due to excess vibration if left unchecked.

However bad linkages can cause vibrations in steering, and in such case it does not occur only upon braking. Also there are no problems whatsoever even at high speeds with regard to stability/steering at the vehicle's max speed or tracking straight on bad roads or taking corners. It drives like a new vehicle should, only problem is brake rotor warp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Looks I misunderstood your issue, if vibrations are only on braking, this can be due to rotors on a new car. I don't think suspension or linkages will get worn off. Since they have already skimmed rotors once, you should ask them to replace these under warranty Maybe you can give reference of Samabhi who has got these replaced.
Yes, skimming rectified the issue once and even during same driving conditions vibrations did not return till now. Now its not as severe as it was the first time before skimming, but its there. I have informed them about Samabhi's Crysta, they have now got in touch with Toyota regarding this and waiting for the response from their end.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 09:21   #509
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Took delivery of the Crysta after 3rd service and dent fixing yesterday.

3rd service cost is Rs.8321/-
Split:
  1. Wheel alignment - 600/-
  2. Oil filter - 427/-
  3. Gasket - 60/-
  4. 8L Oil syntetic - 7120/-
  5. Toyota Grease - 34/-
  6. Windshield wash - 80/-

The dent on the RL door is also fixed and that area repainted. Cost for that is Rs.5856/- for paint and dent pulling. The same job would have costed less if done outside but decided to stick with Toyota and trust them with it for proper execution.

Notes:
Steering vibration issue reported to TKM, awaiting their response.
Windshield glass replacement next week.
Happy about the service and service cost.
Happy about the dent repair and paint job. (PS: Could have saved Rs.5856/- if I was a bit more careful while maneuvering the vehicle through a narrow gate at a relative's home quite early in the morning.)

Last edited by Sankar : 20th October 2016 at 09:23.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 09:25   #510
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,418
Thanked: 9,317 Times
Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Took delivery of the Crysta after 3rd service and dent fixing yesterday.

3rd service cost is Rs.8321/-
Split:
  1. Wheel alignment - 600/-
  2. Oil filter - 427/-
  3. Gasket - 60/-
  4. 8L Oil syntetic - 7120/-
  5. Toyota Grease - 34/-
  6. Windshield wash - 80/-
Oil replacement is done every 10k kms? Or is it every 5k kms service?

Service costs looks reasonable otherwise for a 20L vehicle.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta sridhu In-Car Entertainment 64 16th November 2016 12:05
Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour icyspikey SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 25 5th August 2016 22:02
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016 GTO The Indian Car Scene 879 17th June 2016 10:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks