Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 12th April 2017, 13:03   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
AT's are all about comfort and sedate driving. I've never floored an AT like you do a manual; it can turn around an bite back and braking may turn a little scary as in the D mode it up shifts to a higher gear and engine braking is absent and you may feel the brakes are inadequate. In a manual you select a gear II or III and floor it and the box doesn't up shift till you want it to (engine braking), but in an AT it just moves on to a higher gear unless you're in manual mode and are in lower gear or S mode with paddle shift selecting a lower gear where you can red line it.
My experience of flooring the pedal in D mode in a Creta Petrol AT has been different . Have seen 3 distinct scenarios :

1. This is the laziest response. if you just press down on the A pedal slightly, there will be no downshift. There will be a lag before the vehicle picks up any speed/acceleration. Highly avoidable or do it only if you have ample time.

2. When you push down on the accelerator a bit quickly: If you are already in a higher gear , the AT box will downshift 1 or mostly 2 gears . If you repeat this again, after the box has already downshifted- it will again downshift 1-2 gears!!

2. Really put pedal to the metal and the box will take it to even Redline (if in lower gears) or downshift 2 gears, if in overdrive.

All said and done, this AT is a pleasure to drive and lets me do one additional thing that I was never able to do in MT cars;Engine braking while decelerating.

I would not do it due to shift shocks in MT- here I don't have a choice and can just feel the greater deceleration (but no shock) when the vehicle does engine braking.

I do however, dont like the fact that the gearbox will try to reach the top gear asap. Even around 45-50kmph. Guess, thats the price to pay for being in a nation that suffers from "kitna deti hai" syndrome.
BUXX is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 13:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
2. When you push down on the accelerator a bit quickly: If you are already in a higher gear , the AT box will downshift 1 or mostly 2 gears . If you repeat this again, after the box has already downshifted- it will again downshift 1-2 gears!!
This situation happens with me every day, but the outcome is different. Coming from a NA petrol, after I go over a bump, I've the tendency to push the accelerator a bit too quickly. The car's usually around 1600-1800 RPM mark then and quickly rises to 2200 with a big grunt but lesser acceleration. Just then, the VGT turbo kicks in and it begins to get a steady boost but the AT box wants to upshift and RPM drop to 1500ish again.

All this gets even more complicated when I try to restrict the mark to 2000 rotations due to engine break-in period
Nonstop-driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 10:41   #48
BHPian

^^ There is no Turbo here. The Creta Petrol seems to be a NA engine.
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote