Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th July 2017, 11:51   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review

Has anyone here tried the Fortuner 18" wheels swap onto the Vcross ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 16:56   #257
BHPian

Hi, Guys. I have finally bought an obsidian grey Isuzu VCross on 28th June 2017 (Pre GST with GST benefits).

Accessories from the dealer:
1. Sony XAV-W650BT - without SAT Navigation.
* Does its job. Decent speakers, SAT Nav. Would’ve been nice. Not fretting as I prefer my phone’s Google Maps.
2. Reverse camera
* Very useful. I’ve learnt to park pretty neatly with my wife standing as my marker. I use reverse camera, OVRMs visuals for parking.
3. Floor mats
* Without Isuzu badge. Beige color. Gets dirty very quick. You would need a dust brush to clear the dust, then one can use water to wash the dirt.
4. D-BOX with its bedliner
* To close: gently let the struts do the closing. That is first lock. One needs to press one of the corners of the lid to engage the 2nd lock. You will hear a click sound.
* Lid is heavy, which is good news in terms of durability. As of now (1000Kms.), water or dust hasn’t seeped in. The vehicle has been through some heavy showers and dust. A Light fixture is missed.
* Bedliner misses hooks in the middle of the cargo.
* Overall quality, fit and finish is supreme.

5. Side-step
* Solid, Looks awesome. It isn’t as wide as people are generally used to. I believe, they are designed keeping the following usage in mind.
1. Ingress - use the front portion your foot
2. Egress - use the back portion of your foot
However I do feel the ingress is difficult for a person aged 60+ with normal health condition. Person with Knee issues will need a foot stool.

Wiper - Has a Good sweep but I was unable to find the brand’s name. The water jets do not live up the to their name (like VWs). Pressure is low.

Interiors - Fit and finish is sublime. Control buttons on the steering are illuminated. Seats are very comfortable.
Front Seats: I had no aches post a 9 hr drive with two 20 min. Breaks. I read someone who mentioned about the shin being hit on the lower dash while braking/using clutch. I had the same issue, however this was resolved by adjusting the seat height.
Back Seats: Just the right lumbar support. People with back issues will love it. Under thigh support will be a concern for 5 ft. 7 inches + tall person/s. Below this height, there’s adequate support.
Back Seat Armrest: Its wideness will make you smile. Two can use it in Forward and rear arm placement formation.
Mileage (for people who are concerned): I am getting 12.5-13.0 in the city and highway gives 14.6 on average. I’ll share an accurate picture post first service.
Suspension is great. Potholes are swallowed without making any obvious reason to be alarmed in the cabin. Speed breakers are well received too. It is a lot more smoother. I am not sure if this is because of the tire or the height of the chassis. 

Doors: They shut with a luxurious thud. Feels good. The rubber beading is complete. Washing the inner portion of the door (hinges, etc.)are easier and better than many cars I’ve experienced.
Gear: All gear shifts are smooth and easy to slot with 2nd gear as an exception. I use the bolero method to slot it in. 4th is the peppy gear just like most TD engines.
Keys: Feels solid and of good quality. In the picture, you would see a smaller key; this is for the D-Box. I am in the process of find out how I can link it the to central locking system. I will share its update soon.

Finally, a tip: A reason to be cautious while driving is to avoid quick lane switching like you are in a sedan. You can get lost in the rush of things and manoeuvre accordingly. Please careful as V-Cross’ sheer length may make that difficult. Just cruise. One thing that V-Cross has taught me is patience. Like she tells you, ‘there’s no rush, take it easy.’ I am glad she does this because it really helps in a maddening traffic situation.

Few Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-fullsizeoutput_5.jpeg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-img_2135.jpg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-fullsizeoutput_6.jpeg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-img_2189.jpg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-img_2190.jpg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-img_2192.jpg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-fullsizeoutput_9.jpeg  

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2017 at 16:57. Reason: Merging into fresh post
Boomerang is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 18:46   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Hi, Guys. I have finally bought an obsidian grey Isuzu VCross on 28th June 2017 (Pre GST with GST benefits).

Few Pictures:
Congratulations on your buy. Our trucks are almost identical since I have the same color and same D-box.

I have now done 15000 kms and travelled on all kinds of roads through various states and there is nothing the V-cross doesn't excel at.

Drive for 5000 odd kms and then consider getting a remap, at 170 odd BHP it completely changes the character of the truck.

Happy Trucking!!
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 08:21   #259
BHPian

Default Re: Totoro: My Isuzu V-Cross Initial report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Congratulations on your ISUZU, the truck with the bedliner sure looks good! Recently saw a Black one with nice black alloys and looked outstanding.

Do post a bit of background on why you chose this truck and how you plan to use it!

Cheers!
There's actually no background story or choosing dilemma. I knew what I would like to drive one day; it came by and I bought it.

I always wanted an outback vehicle. Ute lifestyle

If you'd like to reply to this post, please use the Isuzu V-Cross Official review thread. My thread has moved there. Thank you.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 11:55   #260

Quote:
2. Reverse camera
* Very useful. Iíve learnt to park pretty neatly with my wife standing as my marker. I use reverse camera, OVRMs visuals for parking.
Hi Can you please share the location where you have mounted the reverse camera. I have a 170 dgree view camera, and have mounted just above the rear numbee plate, but find it a bit low...
ashtwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 16:44   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
=======
Few Pictures:
Congratulations and a very nice color indeed.

Is it possible to share the prices of the accessories and on road price you paid? Would be useful for prospective buyers.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 19:38   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. D-BOX with its bedliner
* To close: gently let the struts do the closing. That is first lock. One needs to press one of the corners of the lid to engage the 2nd lock. You will hear a click sound.
* Lid is heavy, which is good news in terms of durability. As of now (1000Kms.), water or dust hasnít seeped in. The vehicle has been through some heavy showers and dust. A Light fixture is missed.
* Bedliner misses hooks in the middle of the cargo.
* Overall quality, fit and finish is supreme.
:
Congratulations Boomergang : Nice set of accessories you have got.

How much did the D-BOX cost ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 01:04   #263
BHPian

Quote:
:
Congrats awesome color What was the OTR price after GST ?
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:28   #264
BHPian

Hello there V cross owners ,

I have been attracted to the vehicle a lot and considering when my finances improve , planning on getting something similar.

Reasons :
1. Cheapest proper 4/4 with airbags , ABS. Can double up as a highway vehicle for long trips.
2. Vast cabin space. Very comfortable for 5 people.
3. Red neck / cow boy image for those aware of pick up truck culture.
4. I am into surfing. Will be useful for carrying surfboards and I can finally buy a surfboard of my own.

5 With these sort of rough vehicles, only third party insurance would do compared to a similar priced car . Thats a saving of 35-40k yearly. Most accidents these days are rear ending ones. These vehicles are idiot proof.
Cons and my questions for owners :

1. Image : How do people view these vehicles? Especially these irritating security guards ( some are nice people,most are PITA) . I wouldn't want to be treated like a commercial truck owner.

What about the cops ? Hope there is no confusion or pretending to be confused for extorting money.

2. Do you people pay the rates as cars in toll booths ? Have there been any confusion?

3. Do these vehicles actually fit in mall parking lots ?

Last edited by Ragavsr : 22nd July 2017 at 11:32.
Ragavsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 14:10   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Has anyone here tried the Fortuner 18" wheels swap onto the Vcross ?
Tried it on my friend's car.
Looks sooper good.
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-img20170722wa0004.jpg
kpzen is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 12:29   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Tried it on my friend's car.
Looks sooper good.
Attachment 1659506
Looks awesome , suites the v cross more than the Fortuner ( my humble opinion). Are the wheel specs of both the fortuner and vcross identical?
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 10:17   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
4. I am into surfing. Will be useful for carrying surfboards and I can finally buy a surfboard of my own.
That would be really good use of the Vcross.

Quote:
5 With these sort of rough vehicles, only third party insurance would do compared to a similar priced car . Thats a saving of 35-40k yearly. Most accidents these days are rear ending ones. These vehicles are idiot proof.
Well you never know about the situations one might come across, so better to go for the comprehensive insurance.

Quote:
1. Image : How do people view these vehicles? Especially these irritating security guards ( some are nice people,most are PITA) . I wouldn't want to be treated like a commercial truck owner.
Don't worry, the overall design and appeal is way too different compared to a commercial pick-up. Thankfully in India, commercial pick up truck segment has not been that high end, so you will be treated equivalent to owner of a 'well-priced SUV' in all probability.

Quote:
What about the cops ? Hope there is no confusion or pretending to be confused for extorting money.
Normally no. The rear bay does attract some attention & occasionally it might come under scanner for a routine check-up at the big check posts; but so far i don't think anyone has been stopped specifically for driving a pick-up type of vehicle.

Quote:
2. Do you people pay the rates as cars in toll booths ? Have there been any confusion?
Absolutely. Again, the people at the toll booth usually don't even bother to ask you about this after having a glance on the front end and in case they do, please mention the white number plate. For the worst case scenario, the RC copy is always there.

Quote:
Getting a proper parking space outside is one real problem with this vehicle in general. It usually fits, albeit with a minimal protrusion outside as per my personal experience.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 10:22   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Image : How do people view these vehicles?

1. Security guards know a personal vehicle when they see it and hence image isn't a problem at most places.
2. Yes, there could be situations where the operator doesn't know and you will need to keep a few receipts as proof but 90% of the time, they know that it falls under the personal car category.
3. Not in all lots, the tail will hang out of the slot but nothing which cannot be adjusted by parking smartly.

That said, my grouse with this is the recline angle of the second row and the ride quality when unladen due to the leaf-coil setup. Didn't you find it queer?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 11:33   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Normally no. The rear bay does attract some attention & occasionally it might come under scanner for a routine check-up at the big check posts.
Thanks Might be a small hassle to deal with , it will take some time for the cops to be aware that such private vehicles exist. Private pick up trucks are not popular in the South, compared to say Punjab or Himachal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

That said, my grouse with this is the recline angle of the second row and the ride quality when unladen due to the leaf-coil setup. Didn't you find it queer?
Thanks
I haven't taken a test drive yet. I had a glimpse of the vehicle when it was displayed at a mall.

The back seat angle was okay, may be because I am comparing it with a Figo, while I guess you are the one who owned a Scorpio and then moved on to an Endeavour.

My major grouse with the vehicle is the lack of hill start assist. Over the past two years, I have acquired this addicting habit of taking long vacations in the hills during my holidays.

I face this peculiar problem. I have been to Kodaikanal this year and Ooty the previous one and Ladakh(to all the remote, adventurous places !Yay!).
Discount the Ladakh trip as that was on a bike and didn't have any problem rollling back even in Khardung La. The Ooty trip was also eventless.

In Kodaikanal, we had a guest house located on top of a hill through narrow, very steep residential roads. On one day , there was a lorry which blocked the road and had to stop mid way through the climb. There were 2 cars behind me as well. As expected, the car rolled back. Even after using the handbrake, revving a bit and then releasing it , it still rolled back. Seeked out the help of a local who floored the accelerator pedal over 2K rpm , blenched a cloud of smoke and only then the vehicle moved. Note, mine's a diesel.

I generally use the clutch method to climb hills and never faced a problem on highways and town roads in the hills which are fairly mild in their steepness. There was another incident where I had to roll back in Sholayar Dam near Valparai, but that was eventless as there were no vehicles behind.Again , the road was a narrow , very steep road where you will have momentum if you are walking down.

The other vehicle I am considering is a Hexa , which has hill start assist but the 4 by 4 system is not as good and carrying surf boards will be tough.

I am thinking of going on a vacation to hills ,try out the handbrake method and practice it well to see if I can manage. Again, I am not sure of the effectiveness of hill start assist , as I saw a post on the Hexa thread where the vehicle rolled back on a similar terrain. In that case, I have to say a big Hi grudgingly to automatics.

This is quite a jolt for me and I suddenly don't trust my driving skills as much as I did before.Sadly,I can't test these on a test drive in Chennai.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 24th July 2017 at 11:38.
Ragavsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 11:44   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The back seat angle was okay, may be because I am comparing it with a Figo, while I guess you are the one who owned a Scorpio and then moved on to an Endeavour.

The other vehicle I am considering is a Hexa , which has hill start assist but the 4 by 4 system is not as good and carrying surf boards will be tough.
Yes, Hariya was my Scorpio and Chetak was my Pajero Sport. Am car-less currently but am on the lookout.

Coming to your challenges now:

1. How often will you carry surfboards? Even if it is on a weekly basis, you can get good quality roof racks and tie them onto it. It also looks cool that way.
On a serious note, I would not shortlist a primary vehicle on the basis of its ability to carry light surfboards and would recommend you don't as well. They can be managed in umpteen ways.

2. The Hexa is more comfortable than the V-Cross without doubt and is hence a good choice to consider. However, I would also suggest you try the XUV W6 AT. It is a great vehicle at that price and has all the features you need. ATs by default do not roll back and make starting them on inclines that much easier.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote