Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 22nd December 2016, 19:10   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Isuzu 4X4- D-Max V-Cross?

My suggestion would be wait for two months for the Scorpio Getaway facelift to be launched. IT should have all the creature comforts of the Isuzu (whatever Scorpio has) and also be couple of lacs cheaper than the Isuzu VCross.

It is mechanically same as the scorpio, so support should be easier too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...spotted-2.html (2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted)
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:26   #107
Team-BHP Support

Duster AWD in stock form is more capable off road than Isuzu V-Cross. If you do not wish to spend $$$ on your car to make it good offroad, look elsewhere. If you are ready to upgrade it nothing like it in the budget, AceF355 has already listed the potential mods.

The cheapest 4x4 SUV actually is Scorpio 4wd S4+, but I honestly do not have a reason to recommend it over either Isuzu or Duster.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 21:08   #108
Team-BHP Support

Isuzu dmax doesn't fit in most apartment parking lot. It is a meter longer than my Grand Vitara. Keep this in mind if you have small parking lot.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 22:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_blr View Post
I guess I am not left with much options other than the D-Max V-Cross, but I am checking if anyone knows better. Thanks for the help.
Storme is more comfortable for daily drive and XUV/Duster AWD will do almost everything you would like them too do. I found rear seat of V Cross very ordinary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Isuzu dmax doesn't fit in most apartment parking lot. It is a meter longer than my Grand Vitara. Keep this in mind if you have small parking lot.
That was one of the major reason for me to strike it out of my list.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:10   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

If parking place is not a problem and you are willing to spend a few more lacs on modding the vehicle, Isuzu V-cross will be a very good. Otherwise you can check out the Safari Storme. It is reliable, supremely comfortable and quite capable with good AT tires. Only problems are the front overhang, weight and the low position of the inter-cooler that might take a hit during serious off-roading.
Another option would be an used Fortuner. A well kept Fortuner will last long, Toyota service is cheap and good.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:25   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_blr View Post
I have never done any off-roading. I have been using a Honda City, and getting frustrated everytime a speed breaker makes that noise in the underside of a low ground clearance car.
Either you need a hammer & are buying an AK47, or you are just trying to justify a purchase of this pickup truck .

Quote:
the family also needs a fair bit of modern comforts.
The Isuzu isn't for you. Get a nice & comfortable SUV instead.

It's not easy to live with a pickup truck on a day to day basis. As a 2nd or 3rd car, sure, but it's not a daily driver (unless you are prepared to compromise).

Quote:
preferably decent approach, ramp and departure angles
Since you haven't offroaded before, would suggest not focusing on paper stats. If you do get an AWD / 4x4, understand the basics and climb up the learning curve from there. A good driver in a mediocre offroader can beat a clueless dude in a competent offroader.

And yes, tyres are as important to offroading as they are in F1 . Get your SUV kitted with A/T tyres and you'll be ready to conquer the world.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2016 at 12:26.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:27   #112
BHPian

With a budget of 18 odd lacs the V-cross can be kitted up quite well to start with.

For me the V-cross is (read 3rd vehicle) a life style vehicle which I mainly use for touring and some adventure. I do have the D-box and it cost me 1 lac from the dealer itself.

Now if you ask me, would I buy it as my primary vehicle? I would say no.

You would need a small car to go certain places which are congested along with V-cross in your garage.

Also note that I find the V-cross very usable and while driving you do tend to forget that there is a loading bay at the back. Its a proper 5 seater and reasonably comfortable at that.

I have clocked 7200 kms in 3 months. Thats more than what my Jazz has done in more than a year.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 10:12   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
My suggestion would be wait for two months for the Scorpio Getaway facelift to be launched. IT should have all the creature comforts of the Isuzu (whatever Scorpio has) and also be couple of lacs cheaper than the Isuzu VCross.

It is mechanically same as the scorpio, so support should be easier too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...spotted-2.html (2016 Mahindra Getaway Pick-up spotted)
Yikes! Now that vehicle seriously looks like I am going to be transporting sand or cement! And Mahindra? I know the finish inside will make it feel like I am really transporting sand. Sorry, it is just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm. I know. But that I presume is not going to be a problem in either my present place or the place I am moving too. Thanks for that thought though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Storme is more comfortable for daily drive and XUV/Duster AWD will do almost everything you would like them too do. I found rear seat of V Cross very ordinary.

That was one of the major reason for me to strike it out of my list.
Storme is ultimately Tata. And I have heard some very bad things (in words not normally used by those people about the Safari. I do not know if the Storme is about twice as good as the Sarari Dicor, if it is, then it might be an option. But I always liked how the Safari looked. But that is just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If parking place is not a problem and you are willing to spend a few more lacs on modding the vehicle, Isuzu V-cross will be a very good. Otherwise you can check out the Safari Storme. It is reliable, supremely comfortable and quite capable with good AT tires. Only problems are the front overhang, weight and the low position of the inter-cooler that might take a hit during serious off-roading.
Another option would be an used Fortuner. A well kept Fortuner will last long, Toyota service is cheap and good.
Parking space is not going to be a problem. Yes, I will spend that money and the list is quite long. But will do in phases. I have a bull bar in mind, a hi-lift, diff-locks, and ironman suspensions, and winch. Immediate will be a D-box, A/T tyres (yokohoma Geolanders), a reverse parking camera integrated with an after-market infotainment unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Either you need a hammer & are buying an AK47, or you are just trying to justify a purchase of this pickup truck .

The Isuzu isn't for you. Get a nice & comfortable SUV instead.

It's not easy to live with a pickup truck on a day to day basis. As a 2nd or 3rd car, sure, but it's not a daily driver (unless you are prepared to compromise).

Since you haven't offroaded before, would suggest not focusing on paper stats. If you do get an AWD / 4x4, understand the basics and climb up the learning curve from there. A good driver in a mediocre offroader can beat a clueless dude in a competent offroader.

And yes, tyres are as important to offroading as they are in F1 . Get your SUV kitted with A/T tyres and you'll be ready to conquer the world.
I intend to keep the Honda City too. So yes, this will be the second vehicle.
I guess, I am also an enthusiast. A guy has to start somewhere, doesn't he? And I believe in arming myself well. Don't want to end up taking a knife to a gunfight.
I have taken my City to crazy places (for the honda).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
With a budget of 18 odd lacs the V-cross can be kitted up quite well to start with.

For me the V-cross is (read 3rd vehicle) a life style vehicle which I mainly use for touring and some adventure. I do have the D-box and it cost me 1 lac from the dealer itself.

Now if you ask me, would I buy it as my primary vehicle? I would say no.

You would need a small car to go certain places which are congested along with V-cross in your garage.

Also note that I find the V-cross very usable and while driving you do tend to forget that there is a loading bay at the back. Its a proper 5 seater and reasonably comfortable at that.

I have clocked 7200 kms in 3 months. Thats more than what my Jazz has done in more than a year.
Ah, that is quite encouraging, thank you.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2017 at 11:15. Reason: Back to back posts.
ananth_blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 15:17   #114
BHPian

JMD Isuzu has organized off-roading and camping event on the 20th and 21st of January 2017 near Mumbai. I am participating in it along with the first few buyers of the V-cross in Mumbai.

The whole event is sponsored by JMD Isuzu and I feel its a very good marketing initiative.

I will update with photos post the event. If mods feel I can start a separate thread for this event.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 21:03   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove this mammooth today. Costs 16lac odd at Trivandrum.

+ Big
+ Comfortable
+ Can sit 4/5
+ Has space at rear but can be bit upright but not bad
+ Have all features like abs, airbag etc
+ 4x4
+ 10+ kmpl
+ aint loud like Crysta or Rapide on the inside !
+ Easy to drive

- bit bumpy at rear if you go off tarred road.
- boot..well. the hydraulic lift-wala boot addon is 1.5lac !
- you can drive over small cars/bikes if you dont have the rear viev cam!
- big blind spot from A Pillar than I am used too.
- Gear's ..not so great , the first and second.

Drive by..

Luggage bay and engine noise check

Manikandan Motors sell it ( they are known better as RajShree Motors). Call 8589073444 for TD.

Last edited by jkdas : 13th January 2017 at 21:07.
jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 22:09   #116
BHPian

A teaser of our V-Cross off road meet.

More coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-img_3955.jpg  

tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 22:43   #117
BHPian

Took delivery of my Vcross on January 18. Got the roll-bar, bed-liner and side-step bar fitted and got the tyres replaced with Continental ContiContact AT, size 255/65 R16. A few quick impressions about the car:
1. I am used to driving an Innova so handling its size on the road is not a problem. But special care has to be taken while reversing and while overtaking as the distance from driver to tail-end seems to be more. I think it is also because the eye is used to looking at the D-pillar to judge the tail but here you have to take your eyes down to see the tail-gate.
2. The engine, acceleration, clutch is ok. The gears are slightly hard.
3. The car, engine and gearbox are not designed to be hustled though you can do good speeds. Braking is good and on-road manners are nice, though there is some amount of body-roll on curves.
4. MID is intuitive to use and gives useful information.
5. Headlights also have a good spread and low-beam is extremely useful with very good illumination of the left kerb.
6. NVH levels are low inside the cabin.
7. The doors, bonnet, tail-gate and general construction feels robust; you know you are in a truck!
8. Rear-view mirrors are good and seats, general ergonomics are nice. I am almost 6 feet tall and found the seats supportive and quickly found a comfortable driving position. Foot well and dead pedal is also ok.
9. The steering feels nicely weighted and road manners were quite composed. I found it to be exactly what I am used to as I drive either an Innova or a Figo (with HPS). I drove the Dzire once or twice and found the light steering dangerous.
10. The driving position is seated quite high and you get the feeling of looking down on all other cars. The disadvantage is that I can never take my mother in this car.
Alfresco is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:00   #118
BHPian

Dear experts, I have 2 minor queries to ask for. Recently, I drove a D Max V Cross for around 1000 kms. I found a couple of minor issues

1) While making U turns, especially in 4H mode; there was a peculiar slip at one of the rear wheels with quite a bit of jerking and engine felt overloaded, I mean, I had to slip clutch even on level surface to make it complete the maneuver.

2) Here is an example: At Lakshman Jhula of Rishikesh, I took a sharp 90 degree turn with a steep decline (4H) again. I let go off the throttle but the truck simply refused to budge. It stopped on the decline with front wheels completely steered towards the left, I even slipped the clutch but it felt like something has stopped the truck right there. Quickly I disengaged the 4H and it was again back to normal. For your reference, the surface also wasn't highly grippy at this point.

So, is there an issue with this pickup or this behavior is normal?

Last edited by VKumar : 23rd January 2017 at 06:01.
VKumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:55   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Dear experts, I have 2 minor queries to ask for. Recently, I drove a D Max V Cross for around 1000 kms. I found a couple of minor issues

1) While making U turns, especially in 4H mode; there was a peculiar slip at one of the rear wheels with quite a bit of jerking and engine felt overloaded, I mean, I had to slip clutch even on level surface to make it complete the maneuver.

2) Here is an example: At Lakshman Jhula of Rishikesh, I took a sharp 90 degree turn with a steep decline (4H) again. I let go off the throttle but the truck simply refused to budge. It stopped on the decline with front wheels completely steered towards the left, I even slipped the clutch but it felt like something has stopped the truck right there. Quickly I disengaged the 4H and it was again back to normal. For your reference, the surface also wasn't highly grippy at this point.

So, is there an issue with this pickup or this behavior is normal?
Do not engage 4H or 4L on a hard surface. The front and rear wheels in vehicles with normal or open differentials are not synchronised. When only one axle is being driven by the gearbox, it does not matter. But when both axles are being driven by the same gearbox, difference in rotations due to direction change, etc will build up. The outer front wheel always tracks a larger linear distance in any turn building up difference in rotations.
This can result in lockup and destruction of the drivetrain. To maintain synchronisation of rotations, either the wheel should be allowed to slip (happens on dirt and gravel) or the differential should. Here neither the differential is the slip kind nor could the wheels slip as the road at Lakshman Jhula parking is tarred though extremely steep and curving.
Maruti and Nanos can climb that road, you don't need 4 wheel drive.
You may also like to read the Team-bhp 4x4 forum and wikipedia articles on the same.
Alfresco is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:01   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
You may also like to read the Team-bhp 4x4 forum and wikipedia articles on the same.
V-cross comes with open diff., and does not have a LSD or diff locks, out of stock. So even if both the axles are being driven, the open diff should be able to accommodate that, is it not?

a. Anybody knows of a good after-market D-box for the V-cross? Especially in Bangalore? Has anyone tried importing from either Australia or the US?

b. I am fine with using my phone's google maps. So, looking for a good audio system (video not needed). What would you recommend? The dealer at Bangalore is offering a Blaupunkt system in lieu of the Isuzu stock unit.

c. Reverse Parking Camera- Which one would you recommend for the V-cross?

d. What maximum speeds feel comfortable on highways (with AT tires and stock suspensions, without lifting)?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2017 at 23:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ananth_blr is offline   Reply With Quote