Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 22:13   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: bareilly
Posts: 404
Thanked: 194 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

I am at no point calling the power delivery unrefined , it is only the sound it is making . The engine response in itself , if we ignore the sound, feels all right and doesn't indicates anything faulty or abnormal. There is a slight vibration but I believe that is expected in diesel .
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 14:06   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I am at no point calling the power delivery unrefined , it is only the sound it is making . The engine response in itself , if we ignore the sound, feels all right and doesn't indicates anything faulty or abnormal. There is a slight vibration but I believe that is expected in diesel .
1.6 CRDI Diesel from Hyundai is perhaps amongst the most refined diesel engines. I have been driving the earlier Fluidic Elantra with the same engine for more than two years and never noticed any abnormal sound with windows cracked up. This is my first diesel car and I haven't noticed any vibration when I switched from petrol to Elantra CRDI 1.6 AT. Also, in an earlier post you were referring to some 'semi automatic' mode. Yes, the engine rpm shoots up rather alarmingly sometimes when one shifts control from Automatic to tiptronic. I couldn't get used to the tiptronic even after two years of driving. I am a sedate driver to a certain extent - so never felt the need to downshift using a tiptronic during overtaking maneuvers.
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2017, 14:18   #93
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
The earlier Elantra, ensured people looked at her either with admiration or mutual disrespect. Attachment 1592098
Looks are subjective.

But yes, I completely agree with you and I firmly believe Hyundai have given up on the best looking design (Fluidic Elantra - superbly proportional from all angles and the best exhibition of the 'Fluidic' concept) rather too early. I still remember one full year when I used to work at DLF, Chennai - with several hundreds of heads unabashedly turning to have a glimpse at this car.

But then, perhaps that design was always in a state of unstable equilibrium - one little change and everything falls apart!

Mind you, the new car still looks amazing, it is not a distinct design anymore - borrowing a lot of cues from European car makers resulting in a rather hybrid design. Just that it is not my 'Fluidic Elantra' anymore.
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017, 16:01   #94
BHPian
 
sawnilrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 785 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Looks are subjective.

But yes, I completely agree with you and I firmly believe Hyundai have given up on the best looking design (Fluidic Elantra - superbly proportional from all angles and the best exhibition of the 'Fluidic' concept) rather too early. I still remember one full year when I used to work at DLF, Chennai - with several hundreds of heads unabashedly turning to have a glimpse at this car.

But then, perhaps that design was always in a state of unstable equilibrium - one little change and everything falls apart!

Mind you, the new car still looks amazing, it is not a distinct design anymore - borrowing a lot of cues from European car makers resulting in a rather hybrid design. Just that it is not my 'Fluidic Elantra' anymore.
Exactly my point mate. I still turn around and give a look at the earlier generation "updated fluidic Elantra" especially the one which had 10 spoke alloys, it looked killer. Probably, with this one, Hyundai has tried to appeal to broader spectrum of people, who like their car designs to be "no nonsense".
sawnilrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 12:54   #95
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Net
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Wow, awesome! Thanks, will also consider it when I get into high gear in my car shopping efforts (mostly April 2017). Hopefully if the Corolla facelift/upgrade also comes in by then and has fixed the armrest issue, then that'd make the decision easy for me.

But otherwise, the armrest is a deal breaker for me. Vary fatiguing to drive with armrests that you need to lean on to.
Hi, what did you end up buying finally? I did a TD of Petrol AT, and the car is too good to let go

I also did not find it scraping some of the monstrous Bangalore speed breakers where my City used to scrape, and it was with 5 on board.

Even though Diesel makes sense economy wise (even for example, a run of 1500 kms per month, taking into account EMI too), any other reason why Diesel should be preferred over Petrol? To be frank, I love the no-vibration-completely-insulated-petrol-feel. Coming from 3rd gen City, it is difficult to feel the same in Diesel cars
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 12:38   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 253
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Hi, what did you end up buying finally? I did a TD of Petrol AT, and the car is too good to let go

I also did not find it scraping some of the monstrous Bangalore speed breakers where my City used to scrape, and it was with 5 on board.

Even though Diesel makes sense economy wise (even for example, a run of 1500 kms per month, taking into account EMI too), any other reason why Diesel should be preferred over Petrol? To be frank, I love the no-vibration-completely-insulated-petrol-feel. Coming from 3rd gen City, it is difficult to feel the same in Diesel cars
Hi, after thoroughly evaluating the City facelift, Corolla facelift (yikes, can you even call it that?), the Elantra, the Hexa, and the Terrano facelift, I decided to pass on all these and instead continue with my SX4 for 3 more years (and with that thinking, I gave it a new set of 4 tires and a new battery (something about due), as well as a 40K km service).

The Elantra comes close to what I liked, but I found it scraping speed-breakers in my infamous city Bangalore, and I also had concerns about fuel economy! 1.6L petrol to 2.0L petrol is too big a jump for me, and I'd like to settle with 1.8L petrol ideally, or 2.0L/2.2L diesel if its affordable. Tucson fits the "2.0L diesel" parameter, but I feel it is overpriced for what it offers.

At the end of it all, I just sat back and thought with some sanity: Why the heck am I changing cars? Just bcoz I finished my car loan? Heck, thats a poor reason! My current SX4 is an absolutely great car within my parameters, and when there is no good car to change to, I'd rather live EMI-free and enjoy my SX4 for a few more years and re-assess the horizon after 2-3 years!
vharihar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:10   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,077
Thanked: 639 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Folks..
I've a 2014 Fluidic Elantra and i was wondering if the projectors / tail lamps of the 2015 Fluidic facelift will be an exact fit for my car. Has anyone done this? Is Hyundai A.S.S the right place to go to for this? I wanted to get this done to keep my car looking at least like the last fluidic model.
Thanks!
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:52   #98
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 899
Thanked: 1,021 Times
Default Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Folks..
I've a 2014 Fluidic Elantra and i was wondering if the projectors / tail lamps of the 2015 Fluidic facelift will be an exact fit for my car.
I could be wrong but I guess this is not possible. Why don't you check with the ASS ? I wanted to do this once the 15 model was out. At that point I was told it's not possible. Not sure if they have made any subsequent changes since.

There are better looking lights available in the market. I didn't pursue this any further as I have given away this car to my brother.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 22nd May 2017 at 15:56.
Arjun Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 10:41   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,077
Thanked: 639 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I could be wrong but I guess this is not possible. Why don't you check with the ASS ? I wanted to do this once the 15 model was out. At that point I was told it's not possible. Not sure if they have made any subsequent changes since.

There are better looking lights available in the market. I didn't pursue this any further as I have given away this car to my brother.
Aftermarket lights are always an option but i thought OEM parts will always bring some peace of mind. Am sure that will be an expensive proposition though.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 12:13   #100
BHPian
 
drhoneycake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 267
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Folks..
I've a 2014 Fluidic Elantra and i was wondering if the projectors / tail lamps of the 2015 Fluidic facelift will be an exact fit for my car. Has anyone done this? Is Hyundai A.S.S the right place to go to for this? I wanted to get this done to keep my car looking at least like the last fluidic model.
Thanks!

Hyundai ASS is the worst place to go for these kind of jobs. I fitted a OEM projector headlamp for my Verna and these guys were off no help.

The problem lies in the fact that the original wire harness is different and the pin outs on the projector set are different and these guys will not slice original wires.

Your car should have a 6-pin headlight harness (Elantra with OEM reflectors). The projectors have 8-pin pinouts. Thankfully, you can get a conversion wire harness for the Elantra headlights from here:-
http://www.sharkracing.com/2011-2016...s-adapter-set/

Use these to make it plug and play.

And the headlamp set from here:-
http://m.ebay.com/itm/151183661635?_mwBanner=1

Tail lamps should be a plug and play affair.

Do ask the seller if it's LHD/RHD.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP

Last edited by drhoneycake : 5th June 2017 at 12:19.
drhoneycake is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 13:32   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,077
Thanked: 639 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Hyundai ASS is the worst place to go for these kind of jobs. I fitted a OEM projector headlamp for my Verna and these guys were off no help.

The problem lies in the fact that the original wire harness is different and the pin outs on the projector set are different and these guys will not slice original wires.

Your car should have a 6-pin headlight harness (Elantra with OEM reflectors). The projectors have 8-pin pinouts. Thankfully, you can get a conversion wire harness for the Elantra headlights from here:-
http://www.sharkracing.com/2011-2016...s-adapter-set/

Use these to make it plug and play.

And the headlamp set from here:-
http://m.ebay.com/itm/151183661635?_mwBanner=1

Tail lamps should be a plug and play affair.

Do ask the seller if it's LHD/RHD.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Thanks! Seems like an option at least but just the light assembly will cost 62k. The aftermarket ones at Autoglam seem to be for 46k.

Mumbai or Pune folks - any place where i could walkin with my Ecosport / Elantra and get this mod done reliably without getting ripped?
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 18:08   #102
BHPian
 
drhoneycake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 267
Thanked: 484 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Thanks! Seems like an option at least but just the light assembly will cost 62k. The aftermarket ones at Autoglam seem to be for 46k.

Mumbai or Pune folks - any place where i could walkin with my Ecosport / Elantra and get this mod done reliably without getting ripped?

Hi Nilesh,

I understand the price dilemma, but what you get at that price is an OEM Headlight which IMHO is a perfect balance b/w bling and functionality, along with reliability. Can't say the same about these AutoGlam, MXSmotorsport or any other 3rd party manufacturer. Again IMHO I find these 3rd party lights too tacky and/or gaudy.

Like I always say OEM is OEM, nothing beats it.

My advice would be that if you've decided you want these lights and your going to keep the car for a long time, GO FOR IT. You won't regret it. The car will look new all over again and the headlights offer brilliant performance compared to the piss-poor reflectors.

Do your research before you plonk in money for these lights and talk to the seller.

P.s:- I shelled out almost $600 for my projector headlights for my Verna and it seems worth it.


Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 12:43   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,077
Thanked: 639 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Hyundai ASS is the worst place to go for these kind of jobs. I fitted a OEM projector headlamp for my Verna and these guys were off no help.

The problem lies in the fact that the original wire harness is different and the pin outs on the projector set are different and these guys will not slice original wires.
Am at the Hyundai A.S.S and the service center head has no clue of what he is talking! He just keeps telling me that there is no way the OEM headlight can be retrofitted.

Then i spoke to the technician and he said exactly what you are saying. The difference is in the connectors and he suggested that i get the OEM headlight assembly from Hyundai as a spare part and just get it fitted from an good accessory store. He said they will make all adaptors / connectors to marry the 8pins to the 6pin socket.

So let me try to find out how much the light assembly would cost if i buy it from Hyundai over the counter. If its just a few 1000 extra, maybe it is safer/ reliable since its of the indian version.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 09:01   #104
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elantra : Official Review

Greetings fellow BHPians. I am in a little bit of a dilemma these days. Am in the market for an automatic car costing ~20Lakhs. Have TDd the XUV (W10), the Altis (Top end Petrol) and the Elantra (Petrol SX(o)). Out of them I found the Elantra which appealed the most to me design wise and build quality wise. The Altis i felt was a bit under equipped and was almost 2 lakhs more than the Hyundai. The XUV felt a little rough around the edges, just did not seem to well put together. Later the NGT rulings of having a diesel car registered for only 10 years in the NCR also swung the pendulum in favour of gasoline.
Now that I am inclined towards the Elantra Petrol Autobox would need a little guidance from the people living with it. I have taken a longish test drive of the Hyundai but it was in city traffic only (not bumper to bumper but no expressway freedom). Can some one tell me the car's highway manners (overtaking, ride quality and suspension on higher speeds). Also it would be of great help if someone could let me know what mileage I should really expect (in city and in highways) as the data from different sources seems a bit conflicting. Thanks in advance.
docprashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 10:21   #105
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 934
Thanked: 299 Times
Default

Can owners of the petrol variant comment on the mileage that your 2.0 engine is returning. I am seriously looking at the top manual variant as my next car. Any additional comments on the actual road holding and handling abilities are also welcome. Thanks in advance.
SPARKled is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elantra GT vs Elantra Crdi(Was skoda vs elantra) azifali Sedans 39 17th August 2006 12:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks