Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2017, 23:34   #2146
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR 51/HR 29
Posts: 455
Thanked: 819 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Yes, it is very stupid on Tata's part to not provide stuff like dynamic reverse guidelines and one touch up on driver's window on the XTA when they are there on the XT. However, I suppose these features can be unlocked via coding, quite like VCDS on VW cars. Will check up on it when the car goes for service the next time.

Nonetheless, there are no two ways about it. If you want to buy the Hexa, go for the automatic. The driving experience is truly phenomenal. Full credit to the auto box, which is definitely the best on all UVs under 30L. I spend the entire day on the move today, ended up clocking over 300km in Delhi NCR traffic. The fact that I still have the energy to type this at almost midnight after such a long day is a testament to how comfortable and fatigue-free the Hexa XTA's drive is.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 00:10   #2147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Yes, it is very stupid on Tata's part to not provide stuff like dynamic reverse guidelines and one touch up on driver's window on the XTA when they are there on the XT. However, I suppose these features can be unlocked via coding, quite like VCDS on VW cars. Will check up on it when the car goes for service the next time.

Nonetheless, there are no two ways about it. If you want to buy the Hexa, go for the automatic. The driving experience is truly phenomenal. Full credit to the auto box, which is definitely the best on all UVs under 30L. I spend the entire day on the move today, ended up clocking over 300km in Delhi NCR traffic. The fact that I still have the energy to type this at almost midnight after such a long day is a testament to how comfortable and fatigue-free the Hexa XTA's drive is.

Thumbs up to that Shreyans. Great to see emphatically happy owners of the XTA. You got me curious with the coding stuff - so will keep a watch for your post when you have tried it.
KK RE Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 08:11   #2148
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 288
Thanked: 488 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Yes, it is very stupid on Tata's part to not provide stuff like dynamic reverse guidelines and one touch up on driver's window on the XTA when they are there on the XT.
No, there is no one touch up option even in the XT. Even if it were, i hope you realise, TATA would have lost nothing if the same were given to the XTA.
The notion itself is so illogical, i don't know why people are blindly accepting what is told and following up with the comments!
Annirudh said that in a matter of uncertainty which is totally understandable and yet we have people assuming that to be true and pouring in!

And sir, you having driven the XTA, would you like it to have the response similar to an XUV or an innova? The very reason the XTA stands out is because of its auto gearbox and the quality.
And this particular one had compatibility issues with the various safety features and complete integration wasv hence not possible. This statement by an official is seen by almost everyone. Assuming you own XTA, you might also have seen this while doing a research.

Now, taking note of the above, tata had two options. Either go with a poor quality one with all safety features, or the present one. Looking at the market response for XTA, i know that TATA have made the right choice. It is a worthy tradeoff.

Else, this forum would be filled with comments relating to how poor the automatic is and that Hexa will be another DOA.
abhi7013 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 09:26   #2149
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I am posting this on behalf of my friend who owns Hexa XTA.

For ESP to work, XT has sensors on the steering column and this inputs is also fed to the reverse monitor thus making dynamic reverse guideline possible.
hillkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 14:13   #2150
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR 51/HR 29
Posts: 455
Thanked: 819 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
No, there is no one touch up option even in the XT. Even if it were, i hope you realise, TATA would have lost nothing if the same were given to the XTA.
Regarding one-touch up, this is what the TeamBHP official review has to say about the Hexa:
Quote:
Window & ORVM controls here. All windows get one-touch down functionality; only driver gets one-touch up. All buttons are backlit in white. The topmost button is to fold the wing mirrors:
I checked the owner's manual. It describes the Express DOWN function but makes no mention of Express UP. The warning though indicates absence of anti pinch feature. Which also points to no express-up.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170608_132801.jpg.jpg

Note to mods: Pls re-confirm the presence of express-up feature that you have noted as present for the driver's window. If it was indeed there, was it only on the XT or on the automatic as well?

For the record, my XTA has express-down for all four windows but no express-up. This matches with what the manual says.

As for dynamic reverse guidelines, this is what the manual has to say about it
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170608_121034.jpg
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170608_121054.jpg
What I understand form this is
  • The reverse park assist with camera function is available on selected (top) models only
  • The images clearly show that the guidelines are dynamic and track the movement of the steering
  • It is mentioned that the Cyan guideline is static. This is not metioned for any other colors
  • There is no mention or indication of any kind that the dynamic guidelines function is optional or available in selected variants only
The TeamBHP official review also confirms presence of dynamic reverse guidelines. There is no mention of reverse guidelines being static on the automatic variant.
Quote:
Touchscreen doubles up as a reversing camera display. Together with the parking sensors, this proves to be useful while reversing the Hexa, considering its huge size. Yep, those are very friendly adaptive guidelines which move with steering input
As such, it is fair to assume that this feature has either been deliberately omitted from the XTA at the last minute, or there is some problem with the system that dynamic guidelines are not working. This point needs further clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillkid View Post
For ESP to work, XT has sensors on the steering column and this inputs is also fed to the reverse monitor thus making dynamic reverse guideline possible.
Might be correct. But even then, if the sensors are there on the XT, it should be fairly easy to retrofit them on the XTA to make just the dynamic guidelines work.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th June 2017 at 14:24.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 16:19   #2151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 756
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
"highest consumer offers up to 1,00,000 (offer of hexa)" - today's ad from Gurudev motors Chennai.
Current offer in Chennai (till 15th of June) is free insurance + exchange bonus of 20,000. Prospective buyers check with your dealers.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 21:57   #2152
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 131
Thanked: 183 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Looking at the May 2017 sales numbers, it does seem like the Indian junta have rejected the Hexa.
The numbers have been dismal since launch, but this is the 6 month and if it is still stagnating, then the writing is pretty much on the wall.

In the Van market there's only 1 king - Innova,
In the SUV market (similar price) there's Mahindra - XUV & Scorpio
Hexa has a confused positioning - its a hunk, strong, well built, has 4wd, but a van.

Sad to see this however, Tata get your act together guys.
In this age of India's resurgence, why should an Indian product not be a market leader?
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 22:04   #2153
BHPian
 
Jyodi Backster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 73
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Current offer in Chennai (till 15th of June) is free insurance + exchange bonus of 20,000. Prospective buyers check with your dealers.
Yes. Even I received a phone call from Concorde Motors, Pune.
They are offering free insurance. But he said no exchange bonus on offer yet.

I wonder why they are offering discounts on a recently launched vehicle?

Is it not selling well? or is there an updated version ready to be introduced soon?
Jyodi Backster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 22:10   #2154
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 756
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyodi Backster View Post
Yes. Even I received a phone call from Concorde Motors, Pune.
They are offering free insurance. But he said no exchange bonus on offer yet.

I wonder why they are offering discounts on a recently launched vehicle?

Is it not selling well? or is there an updated version ready to be introduced soon?
Going by sales number, it should be former. As per sales guy, they have 15 vehicles in stock. Other reason could be impending GST.

Am told price was revised twice. Once 17k and then 4k, if we take free insurance into account, current price will be less than the introductory price.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 22:42   #2155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Gulbarga
Posts: 92
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

I have paid the booking amount in 3rd week of may for the xta hexa. Dealer called me today and quoted free first year insurance and discounts on accessories. I am holding off the payment to dealer as I'm awaiting implementation of GST as I'm made aware that prices will drop by 70k to 1lac rupees.

I am against this heard mentality of buying cars or any commodities based on others experiences and usage. A better product is never appreciated in our country. Hexa has all disc break set up whereas the Innova has disc breaks only on the front. An average consumer doesn't see this aspect but what matters to him is low maintenance, reliability of Innova brand which is overpriced. Pardon me all Innova owners but it is what is. Hexa although a better product is suffering the same fate as aria. I hope I'm wrong. But I am fixed on buying the Hexa although I can get a barebones GX variant of the Innova crysta for seemingly peace of mind at the same price.
Vikvkv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:09   #2156
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 585
Thanked: 614 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Looking at the May 2017 sales numbers, it does seem like the Indian junta have rejected the Hexa.
The numbers have been dismal since launch, but this is the 6 month and if it is still stagnating, then the writing is pretty much on the wall.
Tata got their numbers wrong, they are making too many manual transmission Hexa's when demand is for automatic. A friend who went to book a XMA at concord was told that he may have to wait upto 3 weeks for the XMA but XM and XT are available ex stock in two colours, and other colours will be available the same week itself.
Exact numbers are not known, but when Automatic is being refused people just walk off to Toyota, Ford or M&M showrooms. Very few change their booking to manual versions.
My friend who was planning on replacing his 2011 model 3 Lakh km run Innova is now waiting for GST rollout, and will then decide between Hexa and Endeavor as his heavy travelling starts in October. His initial plans were to buy the Hexa before heavy travels begin so than niggles could be ironed out in the initial four months.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:48   #2157
BHPian
 
BlueEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Driving around
Posts: 110
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I don't own a Hexa, but did TD couple of times and love this SUV inside out. It's heartening to see how Tata responded after Aria and going by owners comments here, even after sales has improved. We, in our family own a XUV5OO (Feb 2016). Though I knew Hexa launch is in few months, circumstance did not allow us to wait. Not that I am not happy with XUV, it's just that I find Hexa more bang for buck.

I drove almost 1,500Km last week from Bangalore-Hyderabad and visited some other parts in North KA, not a single Hexa to be sighted in entire drive. It is really sad to see the sales numbers drop MOM for such a capable SUV within a few months of it's launch. Clear sign that people or not giving this SUV another chance, or I even doubt someone buying a XUV or an Innova are even considering this? even if they are, perhaps the brand image is driving them away? Corporate heads at Tata must be wondering where have they gone wrong!!

Only providing discounts will not help, this in turn will hurt customers who has shown faith in this product right after the launch. IMO they should try to market this even more aggressively, make a famous face as brand ambassador, show the world how good this product is. I might be wrong here but I haven't seen that intent from Tata yet.

Last edited by BlueEyes : 9th June 2017 at 10:59.
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:55   #2158
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,596
Thanked: 2,572 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Tata got their numbers wrong, they are making too many manual transmission Hexa's when demand is for automatic. A friend who went to book a XMA at concord was told that he may have to wait upto 3 weeks for the XMA but XM and XT are available ex stock in two colours, and other colours will be available the same week itself.
Exact numbers are not known, but when Automatic is being refused people just walk off to Toyota, Ford or M&M showrooms. Very few change their booking to manual versions.
This one's on Tata.

We've been discussing ever since the Hexa was launched how majority of the bookings are for the AT and that there is a waiting period.

Getting the initial projections wrong is acceptable to some extent; but not correcting it swiftly is plain mismanagement.

Very few manufacturers or products can afford a natural or induced waiting period and Tata should know, it isn't one of them.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 11:56   #2159
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 585
Thanked: 614 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
We've been discussing ever since the Hexa was launched how majority of the bookings are for the AT and that there is a waiting period.

Getting the initial projections wrong is acceptable to some extent; but not correcting it swiftly is plain mismanagement.
This was the issue with the entire Indian automobile industry. Heavy travellers in India, specially those who visit interior regions always had a large demand for diesel automatic cars. Innova was the mainstay of that market, richer among them did shift to X1 and Q3, but launch of Creta made the diesel AT catagory affordable to the others too, and now with Crysta the numbers are still bigger.
I remember that whenever there was a delay in a tender or a meeting at a upcountry factory, and the only hotel in the vicinity had 20 or so Innova and 10 other cars parked there the topic of discussion would always move to why a practical vehicle like Innova doesn't have an automatic.
Except for a small number of urban elite no one wanted a petrol automatic.

The demand supply situation was the same with Creta and Crysta at the time of launch but they corrected it immediately.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 12:38   #2160
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Banaglore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
This was the issue with the entire Indian automobile industry. Heavy travellers in India, specially those who visit interior regions always had a large demand for diesel automatic cars. Innova was the mainstay of that market, richer among them did shift to X1 and Q3, but launch of Creta made the diesel AT catagory affordable to the others too, and now with Crysta the numbers are still bigger.
I remember that whenever there was a delay in a tender or a meeting at a upcountry factory, and the only hotel in the vicinity had 20 or so Innova and 10 other cars parked there the topic of discussion would always move to why a practical vehicle like Innova doesn't have an automatic.
Except for a small number of urban elite no one wanted a petrol automatic.

The demand supply situation was the same with Creta and Crysta at the time of launch but they corrected it immediately.

Rahul
Dont agree. I think Hexa needs to improve the manual transmission to see more sale numbers.There is less demand for MT because the HEXA MT is bad. It has been bad mouthed by all reviews led by autocar india. The gearbox accuracy has to improve along with clutch feel and better low end response of the gearbox. Many people you have had past experience with Tata service are scared how TASS will handle a third party complex auto gearbox once the vehicle ages.

Tata needs to rejig the Hexa product mix. Tata cannot do "premium" play as it lacks the brand pull due to its past karma. The base variant price should go down by a lakh or more. Tata will also eventually have to target taxi touring segment to get the numbers.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016 GTO The Indian Car Scene 1664 21st November 2016 22:24
Tata Hexa @ Geneva Motor Show 2015. An Aria-based Crossover! smsrini The Indian Car Scene 445 4th February 2016 00:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks