Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2016, 15:59   #436
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,873
Thanked: 82,560 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Took the Hexa for a long spin.

Loved the ride quality - it's easily among the best riding cars this side of an S-Class. Let me rephrase that : I can't think of any car costing under a crore rupees that rides this well. Not only can the Hexa flatten the worst of roads, it even makes speed-breakers appear smaller than they actually are. Sharp bumps are nicely rounded off. The UV also looks very smart in person, the interiors are excellent and the equipment list is expansive.

However, the ergonomics are totally messed up, at least for taller drivers. I asked Vid6639 as he has a driving position similar to mine, and he agreed too (that it can be a deal-breaker for him). Whatever I tried, I was just not able to find the 'ideal' driving position.

- The steering is too far away. No reach adjustment.
- If I pull the seat closer, then the pedals (especially starting point of clutch) are too close.
- The MT's gear lever is placed too much to the left. You will need to stretch a lot more to engage 1st & 2nd in the Hexa.

I tried on 5 different occasions, but just couldn't feel at home in the Hexa's driving chair. If I was a buyer in this segment, this point alone would push me toward the equally-competitive XUV500.

If you are tall, please be sure to take a long test-drive before signing on the dotted line. The Hexa's messed up ergonomics are just not something I'd be able to live with. Of course, it might be different with the AT (where my left hand & leg aren't required), but I haven't driven the slushbox variant yet.
GTO is offline   (49) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 16:53   #437
BHPian
 
BeingCynical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 186
Thanked: 411 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Went to Concorde Pune on Saturday for a Test Ride. Just to update, though they already have a display vehicle, they are yet to register the test ride vehicle. I am told, test ride can only start from this week.

Asked the representative about the expected on-road price for different variants. Though he was reluctant initially, he finally agreed to tell me unofficially. According to him, the XT 4X4 would come 20 lakh plus in Pune. Be noted, it is the on-road price.

I always thought, for Hexa to be successful, Tata somehow has to undercut XUV by couple of lakhs at least. Here rather they have priced it two lakhs above. Though the sales representative's words mght be more from a speculation point of view but if it actually carries any truth, then not sure how Hexa going to work out for the Tatas.

With such a price tag, if at all, I am not thoroughly convinced if it could compete with other players already on the road in this segment. I hope Tatas make a windfall with Hexa but as again, the said price, isn't engrossing much confidence.

Few pictures from the showroom

Name:  IMG_20161224_103100.jpg
Views: 5774
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20161224_103114.jpg
Views: 5771
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20161224_103136.jpg
Views: 5770
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20161224_103145.jpg
Views: 5798
Size:  161.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20161224_104541.jpg
Views: 5750
Size:  106.9 KB

Last edited by BeingCynical : 26th December 2016 at 16:54.
BeingCynical is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 16:56   #438
BHPian
 
PraNeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 318
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Took the Hexa for a long spin.

Loved the ride quality - it's easily among the best riding cars this side of an S-Class. Let me rephrase that : I can't think of any car costing under a crore rupees that rides this well. Not only can the Hexa flatten the worst of roads, it even makes speed-breakers appear smaller than they actually are. Sharp bumps are nicely rounded off. The UV also looks very smart in person, the interiors are excellent and the equipment list is expansive.
Praise can't get higher than this for Hexa.

Quote:
However, the ergonomics are totally messed up, at least for taller drivers.

I tried on 5 different occasions, but just couldn't feel at home in the Hexa's driving chair. If I was a buyer in this segment, this point alone would push me toward the equally-competitive XUV500.

If you are tall, please be sure to take a long test-drive before signing on the dotted line. The Hexa's messed up ergonomics are just not something I'd be able to live with. Of course, it might be different with the AT (where my left hand & leg aren't required), but I haven't driven the slushbox variant yet.
Not happy to hear this however average Indian height is below 6 feet. I hope it will be a better experience for them.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 17:17   #439
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,873
Thanked: 82,560 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Not happy to hear this however average Indian height is below 6 feet. I hope it will be a better experience for them.
Just to clarify, I'm not 6 feet. More like 5'10".
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 17:45   #440
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 447
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Hi guys, Since many of you have test driven the Hexa I would like to know how difficult it is to drive it around in city? I'm asking this because everyone has written that it has a huge turning radius. I have a Safari and absolutely hate the huge turning radius it has.


Thanks
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 18:05   #441
BHPian
 
itsashishsharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 676
Thanked: 551 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

If you are tall, please be sure to take a long test-drive before signing on the dotted line. The Hexa's messed up ergonomics are just not something I'd be able to live with. Of course, it might be different with the AT (where my left hand & leg aren't required), but I haven't driven the slushbox variant yet.
This makes the automatic an even better option of the two. Already I suggested a friend of taking a TD of the Hexa AT going by our official review, that the manual is poor ergonomically makes the AT even more obvious choice.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 19:42   #442
BHPian
 
Black_Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Tata is leaving no stones unturned to show case the Hexa Capabilities and handling. Enjoy this video of Hexa on two wheels.
It's an amazing stunt, I guess it's a 4x2 variant. Wondering about the kerb weight formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the ergonomics are totally messed up, at least for taller drivers. I asked Vid6639 as he has a driving position similar to mine, and he agreed too (that it can be a deal-breaker for him). Whatever I tried, I was just not able to find the 'ideal' driving position.
I am 5"10 and was able to settle quickly on seating position. However, need to go closer to the dash and my knee rubs while getting down and boarding back in. But while driving it's good and not a comprised seating position at-least for me. Automatic is better in reach of gear lever. Eagerly waiting for launch to own one, might lean towards 4x4 mainly because of fear on Automatic variant service/maintenance/repair costs.

Last edited by Black_Beast : 26th December 2016 at 19:42. Reason: Removed youtube url
Black_Beast is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 19:52   #443
BHPian
 
nvldvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 383
Thanked: 234 Times
Default

I am 189 cm (6'3"). I found the driving position ok. No issues for me.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 23:05   #444
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 189
Thanked: 241 Times
Default

Did anybody see a video on FB, in which Tata Hexa was driven on two wheels.?
Pretty shocked to see it.
And the way it landed back on its four shoes, felt very very stable.
Will try and share link here.
DriveOnceMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 23:15   #445
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,426
Thanked: 6,359 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Did anybody see a video on FB, in which Tata Hexa was driven on two wheels.?
Pretty shocked to see it.
And the way it landed back on its four shoes, felt very very stable.
Will try and share link here.
Its in the previous page.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4116303 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 23:22   #446
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 601
Thanked: 644 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Took the Hexa for a long spin.

Loved the ride quality - it's easily among the best riding cars this side of an S-Class. Let me rephrase that : I can't think of any car costing under a crore rupees that rides this well. Not only can the Hexa flatten the worst of roads, it even makes speed-breakers appear smaller than they actually are. Sharp bumps are nicely rounded off. The UV also looks very smart in person, the interiors are excellent and the equipment list is expansive.

However, the ergonomics are totally messed up, at least for taller drivers. I asked Vid6639 as he has a driving position similar to mine, and he agreed too (that it can be a deal-breaker for him). Whatever I tried, I was just not able to find the 'ideal' driving position.
========== .
When you say ride quality - do you mean from the perspective of a passenger or a driver?

As you said, from the driver's perspective the Hexa is ergonomically challenged. So I find your post a bit contradictory. "The ride is great but the driver isn't very comfortable."??

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th December 2016 at 10:44. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 23:43   #447
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,368
Thanked: 519 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I had a look at the Hexa and took a short drive. My impressions:
+ves
  • I like the front styling, the low bonnet and the overall stance, which is very car-like.
  • Interior quality is very decent.
  • Space and comfort (but found the seats to be bit firm)
  • Ride quality

-Ves
  • Weight of the vehicle is going to weigh in my mind. Good engineering always tries to achieve optimal weight for the required structural rigidity. Wonder what makes it weigh heavier then even the Fortuner.
  • While the ride was good, I felt the top swayed more. Could be because I was coming from a relatively low slung car.
  • Some of the plastics could have still softer touch, like the dash covers. I did not like the way they opened. Found them to be bit un-refined.
  • The way the last row doesn't fold flat. I heard another gentleman mentioning it and telling that it is crucial for him as he plans to use the car as a five seater and the luggage area has to be flat. He was wondering if the seats would eventually get damaged.
  • Position of the foglamp housing/LED lights in the corner: They protrude a bit and if you look at lot of cars in India, the corners have the signs of brushing/scrapings.

Last edited by Guna : 26th December 2016 at 23:45.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 00:23   #448
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 827 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

For people in Hyderabad who are waiting for the Hexa, I just saw a grey Hexa being unloaded from a truck at Gachibowli an hour back. I was excited at the first view and the people unloading it were giving me suspicious looks. So, I couldn't look at the variant. It had 'Hexa Experience' decals on the side and is a TD vehicle.

PS: Those tail lights are drool worthy. To give you a perspective, I was smitten by the tail lights of a Jaguar XE which I had seen a few minutes before I saw the Hexa. Those Hexa lights still caught my attention.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 08:35   #449
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,073
Thanked: 4,499 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Loved the ride quality - it's easily among the best riding cars this side of an S-Class. Let me rephrase that : I can't think of any car costing under a crore rupees that rides this well.
Was it with the 19 inch wheels or 16? If with 19 inch wheels, imagine what a 16 inch with a taller profile will do.
Quote:
If you are tall, please be sure to take a long test-drive before signing on the dotted line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I am 189 cm (6'3"). I found the driving position ok. No issues for me.
Precisely why GTO insisted on TD as ergos do vary from person to person. What maybe comfortable for me, may not be comfortable for my friend.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 09:52   #450
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 827 Times
Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Took the Hexa for a long spin.

Loved the ride quality - it's easily among the best riding cars this side of an S-Class. Let me rephrase that : I can't think of any car costing under a crore rupees that rides this well.......

However, the ergonomics are totally messed up, at least for taller drivers. I asked Vid6639 as he has a driving position similar to mine, and he agreed too (that it can be a deal-breaker for him). Whatever I tried, I was just not able to find the 'ideal' driving position.
The way I see it, this should/could be the best chauffeur-driven car for a person with such needs. And this is what I was wondering during my airport run last night. I saw 2 people (executives/businessmen maybe) get down from the back seat of two different cars, a Q7 and an Innova. Both these vehicles had crossed me enroute at speeds +/- 100 kmph (very normal speeds). This made me think.

How much of a difference does it make to be driven in a Q7 and an Innova, if I put aside the snob value of those 4 rings? Condition being good city roads and occasional highway runs. If the roads are good, those air suspensions (if the expensive car has one) can't bring in much of a difference to the overall ride experience. If the roads are bad, one may think twice before driving (or being driven) through it in a Q7 vs. an Innova.

Now, what else is better in a Q7 if one is not driving himself/herself? Features and safety. For the former, some of it can be added after-market (sunroof, rear audio-visual screen, window shades, leather seats, etc) while others are difficult/impossible (ventilated seats with electronic adjustments and memory functions, multi-zone climate controls, etc). If one can ignore the second set of features, he/she will find Q7 and Innova to be similar value.

But we still have the safety concerns. Innova had 2 airbags and ABS even on the top model and you couldn't fit additional ones aftermarket. But now, the Crysta has 7, Hexa has 6. They have additional help for their respective ABS equipped braking system. So, this point is no more sour.

If the Hexa's ride is indeed in the leagues of the German flagships, then ergonomic or not, Hexa should be favourite among corporates and businessmen who like to be driven around comfortably but don't bother about the badge on their cars. Hope they do TD it once.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th December 2016 at 09:55. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Hexa @ Auto Expo 2016 GTO The Indian Car Scene 1664 21st November 2016 22:24
Tata Hexa @ Geneva Motor Show 2015. An Aria-based Crossover! smsrini The Indian Car Scene 445 4th February 2016 00:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks