Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 27th March 2017, 18:22   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The numbers in that OD review are highly suspect. In the autocar review done on MMST, the Polo was 3.5s faster (2:16 vs 2:19.5) than the Diesel Figo.

However its a moot point. Paper figures are one thing and real world experiences are another. In the real world, the polo will be faster in a straight line (9.7s vs 10.3s) and also will be much quicker in the gears due to the lightning fast DSG. Try driving both back to back and then say that the Figo is faster .
The Polo GTs, not GTI, are maybe better at handling but in a straight line, all the Polo will see is Figo's tail light.

I don't know where did you get the figure of (9.7 vs 10.3), but pickup the latest copy of your reference point, Autocar, and you will see what I'm talking about.

And honestly about the DSG, I'm very happy with a manual gearbox than to always have in mind the utter unreliability of the DSG. It isn't that fast as well.

And Yes, I have driven both the Tsi and Tdi. A lot.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 18:32   #77
BHPian

1. The initial days are proving to be extremely impressive.
The honeymoon period is on!

2. Ordered for fabric seat covers from Amazon (Black). Did try to look out for Stanley; However the constant exposure to Sunlight and lack of shaded parking at my work place made me decide against it!

3. Have also ordered for floor mats online as the original Baleno RS mats are not available

4. Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-img_20170324_163429.jpg  

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-img_20170324_194320.jpg  

raichoudhury is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 18:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
The Polo GTs, not GTI, are maybe better at handling but in a straight line, all the Polo will see is Figo's tail light.

I don't know where did you get the figure of (9.7 vs 10.3), but pickup the latest copy of your reference point, Autocar, and you will see what I'm talking about.

And honestly about the DSG, I'm very happy with a manual gearbox than to always have in mind the utter unreliability of the DSG. It isn't that fast as well.

And Yes, I have driven both the Tsi and Tdi. A lot.
Completely unscientific testing from a youtube channel called acceleration india but here you go:

Remapped Polo GT TSI : 8.5 sec

Ford Figo Diesel : 10.3 sec

Baleno RS : 9.9 sec

Googling will get you the links. 9.7s is the official VW claimed figure for the GT TSI.

As for manual vs dsg - do 10 drags between the cars and the polo will win 8-9 of them simply cos no human can be as consistent as a computer in gear changes.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th March 2017 at 18:41.
reignofchaos is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 20:18   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily.
Even a Monkey in the driver seat will achieve the best 0-100 out of the Polo GT TSI, 'every single time', thanks to the DSG.

With the manual transmission of the Figo, even an 'expert' driver will miss out a few times on perfectly synchronized shifts.
To achieve the 9.9 odd timings, gear changes on the Manual needs to be effected in precise rpms with good practice and skill with the shiftier and the clutch.
Not to mention, numerous practice runs with the clutch getting abused during the standing starts, begging for mercy.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 20:58   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Completely unscientific testing from a youtube channel called acceleration india but here you go:
I hope quoting figures from Motorbeam.com, a scientific source, is alright.

First, the polo

https://www.motorbeam.com/2014/10/ca...-drive-review/

And, The Figo 1.5 Tdci

https://www.motorbeam.com/2015/09/ca...-drive-review/

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Not necessarily.
Even a Monkey in the driver seat will achieve the best 0-100 out of the Polo GT TSI, 'every single time', thanks to the DSG.
True. But if you are bringing the element of driver capabilities into this equation, then you must also consider the fact that unless you have paddle shifts in your car, driving any automatic however good for a considerable amount of kilometres, read >25000, outright dull and monotonous.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 12:04   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
1. The initial days are proving to be extremely impressive.
The honeymoon period is on!
Hi Congrats on the car. Please post a detailed review on your initial impressions of driving the car. Yours might be the first proper road review of the Baleno RS.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th March 2017 at 12:48.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 12:28   #82
BHPian

I have spotted the Baleno RS pre-production test car many times in Mumbai, but for the first time post launch.

2 Questions:
  • Why didn't Maruti Suzuki not offer the black colour which looks so good on it?
  • Why did they not offer these alloys the test car was on? Looks much better and sportier than the Plastidip job they've done.

Also, sad to see the car in such an unloved state, parked out on the street in the suburbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-file_001.jpeg  

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-file_000.jpeg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th March 2017 at 12:48.
sidparekh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 13:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post

I have spotted the Baleno RS pre-production test car many times in Mumbai, but for the first time post launch.

+1 sidparekh and I am equally surprised why this shade did not make it into the production.

I can probably answer one of your questions:

Quote:

2 Questions:
  • Why did they not offer these alloys the test car was on? Looks much better and sportier than the Plastidip job they've done.
I think this is Maruti's strategy for the VRS variant, that they will fit these rims and launch during Diwali!!
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 17:12   #84
BHPian

Quote:

True. But if you are bringing the element of driver capabilities into this equation, then you must also consider the fact that unless you have paddle shifts in your car, driving any automatic however good for a considerable amount of kilometres, read >25000, outright dull and monotonous.
True again.
An auto box would not be as engaging to drive as a manual.
But, so is a turbo diesel as well.
A turbo diesel no matter how fast, will never feel as sweet at high rpms as a Petrol (Turbo/Non-turbo).
Diesels feel coarse and out of their comfort-zone once past 3.5K rpm and into the redline.

Personally, I would prefer to get bored of the lightning quick shifts of the DSG, than be subjected to the drone & clatter of the diesel for a lifetime.
It is my personal opinion, and in no way I am saying that the turbo diesel are bad. Just that I prefer the petrols over them.

Lastly, it is possible to use the DSG is manual mode as well. (By using the gear shifter). It will still upshift or downshift when it is necessary to prevent damage.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 10:02   #85
NTO

The car looks great. The alloys are definitely a let down. I didn't feel the engine to be punchy. Overall, i would buy the regular Baleno over this one. Seriously nothing striking enough for the 1.5 lac premium.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 11:52   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techieaditya View Post
But for Baleno, I feel that maruti should also focus on improving the overall build quality of the car. The steel feels paper thin and I have seen too many balenos with deformation somewhere or the other, which kind of is a big question mark on the quality department. I have also seen many friends kick out baleno out of their list of prospective cars only because of its pathetic build quality.
A typical MUL trait aspiring to make cars lighter and lighter in a bit to enhance FE numbers. Poor build eventually leads to early onset of rattles in the car.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 19:44   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, so the roof & A/B/C Pillar of Baleno RS is structurally sound -

Name:  marutibalenorsaccident1.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  marutibalenorsaccident2.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  marutibalenorsaccident3.jpg
Views: 2717
Size:  62.2 KB

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-bale...-12239765.html
smartcat is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 08:55   #88
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-bale...-12239765.html
May I add that low weight is sure contributed to the apparent structural strength.

Also if we could know the speed at which it went turtle and number of rollovers before these pictures would be more credible evidence. Though its good that driver was reportedly unhurt
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 09:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Attachment 1628505
Not sure what is the big fuss involved in routing those fuel/brake lines in a more secure manner. In most of the cars the pipes are routed inside or next to a thick chassis member. Here even the member is barely thick to offer any protection from stones or other objects. One should be careful taking the car on unpaved or kutcha roads.
audioholic is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2017, 16:27   #90
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Baleno RS.

Major advantages over the regular Baleno:
-Braking is very much improved, though the regular Baleno has decent braking as well and you don't notice much difference in regular city driving.
-Waiting time is lower (though again, with the Gujarat plant coming online the waiting period for all variants is likely to come down)

TL;DR: The above two are the only clear reasons to buy the RS over the NA 1.2.

Expected the following to be bad....but:
-Looks: It looks quite good actually, not spectacular but nowhere near as odd as it looked in pictures.
-Turbo Lag: Negligible turbo lag, though it does not jump off the line like the NA 1.2 petrol
-NVH: It is very refined (not as refined as 4-cyl engine but very acceptable) and there is only the slightest of vibrations when starting off. Even when revved the engine sounds nice and has none of the annoying rasp of a 3-cyl or diesel engine.

Expected the following to be good .... but:
-Steering: Feels disconnected and not that different from the regular Baleno.
-Suspension: Was firmer but still nothing special
-Pickup and power delivery: Was nice and linear, never lacked for power but didn't excite, there is no rapid surge from the turbocharged engine that pushes you back in your seat, in fact I would argue that dropping a gear in the NA 1.2 would feel better.
-City driveability: I don't see much difference/improvement over the 1.2 since the 1.2 is a very tractable engine in the first place. There might be slightly fewer gear changes needed but its not a huge difference. Bottom line is that both cars are great to drive in the city.

Other observations:
-The clutch is smooth and trouble-free to use but I felt that it was very long throw, at least for a supposedly sporty vehicle. If Maruti has used a different transmission for the RS, not sure why they couldn't have improved on that aspect. I think the long-throw and the extra split second it takes to change gears affects the driveability as the revs drop a bit more during the change, and that in turn would impact the mileage as well.
-The mileage is quite a big question mark. I think it would give great mileage if driven sedately and for cruising, but from what I noticed from the real-time kmpl readout, I'm not sure that it's going to give the high mileage that people are expecting in our traffic conditions.
-The engine is not as free-revving as the absolute best of NA petrols, but it is not bad, feels much better than any turbo diesel in the segment.
-There is zero protection under the engine. It's the same with the NA as well, but here we are talking about expensive imported components that make up the bulk of that extra 1.5 lakh cost.
-The car will be great for highways - good power, great braking, and good mileage while cruising at 100-120 in 5th.

Last edited by chncar : 14th April 2017 at 16:32.
chncar is offline   Reply With Quote