Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 29th October 2017, 21:33   #151

Default Re: Hyundai Tucson : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I took delivery yesterday. White base variant diesel Tucson.................But the passenger one seems low. Though this time my wife didn't complain as much,...........
Congratulations to you on your new car. Looks smashing in white for sure. Hope you have had a wonderful & pleasant weekend drive as you were planning.

This is one vehicle I was most impressed with during my test drives this year. Did not take the plunge since I was waiting for AWD, Sunroof & ventilated seats that will be so helpful in Mumbai summers. And except for AWD, the other two were been made available in the AWD iteration they just launched. So the wait for my next ride continues.

Kindly update us with regard to passenger seat height and how the lady found the same. If you do go for the aftermarket height adjuster "Risers" , please update regarding comfort and how better it is.

Have a wonderful ownership experience and hope to read your ownership report soon.

Cheers.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 08:32   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Many congratulations vharihar!

Quote:
I am unable to experience the famously claimed diesel benefit of "can go in fairly high gear even in slow traffic". I had 4-5 occasions where the vehicle stalled and turned off.
That is the trait of old school naturally aspirated diesels. These new turbo-charged units don't like lugging at all. So, always be in the right gear.

Most of these units have anti-stall built into the engine management, so its very difficult to stall the engine. But if you have stalled it multiple times, you are seriously lugging the engine - that is too high a gear for the speed. Shift down one or two gears. Its bad for the drive train otherwise.

And don't shift up too frequently in slow traffic. Be in the right gear for the speed and load, and drive it like an automatic. You can also rely on engine braking to slow the car down if you watch the traffic properly. Your engine, brakes and passengers will love you for it.

Quote:
Also the headlights operation is a bit odd: The stalk seems to have 4 positions. The 2nd and last (4th) positions seem identical in effect. What am I missing? I wonder! RTFM I guess!
Maybe its a dummy slot for auto headlights?

Quote:
I have a bit of a problem with the keyless-tailgate: Suppose I am walking towards my Tucson with some valuable (say office laptop bag) to take off on a drive....Lastly, what is the 3rd button in the remote? It has a tailgate picture on it. But nothing happens when I press it, other than lights blinking for 2 seconds. Again RTFM I guess.
That's how it is in the Creta as well. Its very confusing. It is for you to unlock the boot alone for someone else from a distance. Don't know why Hyundai doesn't make the tailgate pop when you hold that button. It works like that in a Ford and is less baffling.

The first time I encountered that, I had to call up a friend of mine who owns a Creta to confirm how it works.

Laptop bags are best kept behind the driver seat on the floor.

Enjoy the miles with the Tucson!
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 13:01   #153
BHPian

Thanks all for the wishes.

Had an occasion to use cruise control on the airport highway last weekend. Loved it! Looking fwd to long highway trips ...

One problem I noticed (perhaps only in the base variant, not sure) is that the ignition key hole isn't illuminated. My 6 year old SX4 that whose OTR price was 1/3rd that of my Tucson, had illuminated ignition key hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...And don't shift up too frequently in slow traffic. Be in the right gear for the speed and load, and drive it like an automatic. You can also rely on engine braking to slow the car down if you watch the traffic properly. Your engine, brakes and passengers will love you for it. ...
Well, if I dont upshift as I do now, then the engine revvs too much. Besides entailing bad FE, I feel *that* large revving engine sound would be more uncomfy for passengers. So what am I missing? (I upshift somewhere at 2200 - 2500 rpm, IIRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...Maybe its a dummy slot for auto headlights?
Yes. I learned that the 2nd position is for auto lights. You can just leave it in that position forever and it'll sense ambient lighting and turn on headlights automatically as needed, and also turns them off when you leave and lock the car. The 4th similar position means mandatorily leaving it on (would stay on even if you leave and lock the car)

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2017 at 09:59. Reason: As requested :)
vharihar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote