Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 13:20   #106
BHPian
 
jetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 438
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Can someone confirm if Honda is not going to release Automatic version of WRV.

One of my friend is looking for a car in Compact Sedan/Compact SUV range. He has so far shortlisted Ecosport,WRV and Dzire(All Petrol). His family wants to buy WRV but lack of Auto trim is a big mental block for him.The sales guy is very confident that Honda will never release auto trim as long as Jazz is in production.
Appreciate if any have news/suggestion/scoops!
The sales guy is definitely winging it. There cannot be a "never" in this business. While there is no automatic edition now, Honda is free to launch it any time depending on demand foreseen. In fact, the WRV is the only Honda product available today without an automatic option. There were some rumours back in March about an automatic variant but no clear dates came out on launch of an automatic.
jetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 14:09   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,684
Thanked: 2,729 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The prime reason they quote is that Honda has retained all the needed practicality in the WRV, while making it more frugal having "ditched the less economical 1.5L petrol".
So, essentially, the reason for WR-V's "success" is the one thing we said is wrong with it - the 1.5 petrol?
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 15:09   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: JVPD , Mumbai
Posts: 281
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The prime reason they quote is that Honda has retained all the needed practicality in the WRV, while making it more frugal having "ditched the less economical 1.5L petrol".
Well I dont know about the article or what others feel, but having owned the City for 7 years and a Brio for 1.5 years, my experience is that the City 1.5 ivtec is more frugal than the 1.2 ivtec by a good margin.

On the contrary the 1.5 ivtec on the WRV would make it a compelling product. The only reason why Honda has not done this is because it will kill Golden Goose Honda City.
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:36   #109
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kochi
Posts: 6
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Well I dont know about the article or what others feel, but having owned the City for 7 years and a Brio for 1.5 years, my experience is that the City 1.5 ivtec is more frugal than the 1.2 ivtec by a good margin.

On the contrary the 1.5 ivtec on the WRV would make it a compelling product. The only reason why Honda has not done this is because it will kill Golden Goose Honda City.
Actually the WRV is heavier than City. Also if you go to a Brazilian Honda FB group and try the translate option on the comments reg. the WRV, you'll see that it generates only about 12-13 kmpl mileage in real world driving. So, as much as we want the 1.5L iVTec+ CVT in the WRV, we just won't get it, unless Nexon steals a major chunk of WRV's business in the next quarter. For now, WRV is showing better numbers than City and Honda doesnt need to panic.
SpeedyGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 14:32   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kochi
Posts: 50
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

I had booked for a WRV Diesel S MT on May 31 and later changed to Diesel VX MT as the introduction of GST brought the VX prices down by around 50k. I got the delivery on 2nd Aug from Peninsular Honda Kochi. The color is Golden Brown. I was using a Diesel VW Vento for the last 6 years. I do miss the higher torque advantage of the Vento, but in city conditions the WRV is more comfortable. Shall post after a long trip I am planning this week.
tomchacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 11:55   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyGonzalez View Post
Actually the WRV is heavier than City. Also if you go to a Brazilian Honda FB group and try the translate option on the comments reg. the WRV, you'll see that it generates only about 12-13 kmpl mileage in real world driving. So, as much as we want the 1.5L iVTec+ CVT in the WRV, we just won't get it, unless Nexon steals a major chunk of WRV's business in the next quarter. For now, WRV is showing better numbers than City and Honda doesnt need to panic.
But then, City isn't from a segment that is exactly in its prime days. The sedans are being eaten up by compact SUVs or compact sedans big time. So sales numbers higher than the City shouldn't be the benchmark for Honda to be complacent. The numbers against cars from the WR-Vs segment should matter for comparison.

On a different note, what "routine" average are petrol WR-V owners getting? My friend with a top of the line WR-V is getting about 12kmpl for his daily commutes. All moderate traffic. No long lines etc. I've told him that those are the numbers that he should be expecting in the conditions & it would be better on highway rides. He is a bit anxious as other WR-V owners from some sort of an "official" whatsapp group are posting pictures with mileages upto 20kmpl on the MID. Obviously they'll be instantaneous FE numbers etc, but the friend is worried anyway. Want to give him some "real" comforting information which can only be sourced on this forum .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 14:48   #112
BHPian
 
feluda86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 62
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
But then, City isn't from a segment that is exactly in its prime days. The sedans are being eaten up by compact SUVs or compact sedans big time. So sales numbers higher than the City shouldn't be the benchmark for Honda to be complacent. The numbers against cars from the WR-Vs segment should matter for comparison.
Well said! Honda should also guard against what happened with Jazz. Remember in 2015 Jazz nearly as much as the City for 2 months till competition caught up (read: Baleno was launched).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
On a different note, what "routine" average are petrol WR-V owners getting? My friend with a top of the line WR-V is getting about 12kmpl for his daily commutes. All moderate traffic. No long lines etc.
.
.
.
He is a bit anxious as other WR-V owners from some sort of an "official" whatsapp group are posting pictures with mileages upto 20kmpl on the MID. Obviously they'll be instantaneous FE numbers etc, but the friend is worried anyway. Want to give him some "real" comforting information which can only be sourced on this forum .
I do not have an exact number for WR-V, but my 1.2L Brio gave me 13-13.5 in moderate traffic (over my three years of ownership). The number for WR-V should be a little lower than that considering the weight of car.

Ask your friend to not pay much heed to such posts. Most of them are driven either downhill or over short distances on empty roads. Such posts take the driving pleasure out of the ownership. It would be better if he subscribes to this post and exits that "official group" . Also teach him to rev the i-Vtec a bit - once he gets addicted to the "punch" he will stop looking at "km/l".
feluda86 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 15:06   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 1,188 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Ask your friend to not pay much heed to such posts. Most of them are driven either downhill or over short distances on empty roads. Such posts take the driving pleasure out of the ownership. It would be better if he subscribes to this post and exits that "official group" . Also teach him to rev the i-Vtec a bit - once he gets addicted to the "punch" he will stop looking at "km/l".
No kidding! I have done all the things that you mentioned already . Have also explained how the instantaneous FE calculation works & how he can see that magic number on his MID easily. Hopefully he'll see the happy things as I am hating him missing out on the new car joy!!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 16:57   #114
BHPian
 
AkMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 884
Thanked: 1,259 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Went for a good long ride in dad's WR-V i-VTEC this weekend covering a total distance of 180-190 km. Of these, I was at the wheel for around 100-110 km. My impressions as under:

1. Driving position is very good. Overall visibility is good, however A pillar creates a large blind spot.
2. As rightly said in the review, 1.2L engine is woefully inadequate for this car. In gear acceleration is nothing to talk about. I would term the performance below average. Our Xcent petrol performs much better than this. The car needs 1.5 i-VTEC, no two thoughts on that. I didn't cross 3k rpm as the car is still in running in period.
3. The clutch is light & brakes are adequate.
4. I found the illumination provided by headlights to be very good.
5. The steering is not particularly confidence inspiring in my opinion. It is very light which is good at city speeds. However it does not weigh up sufficiently as speed increases. The feel of steering too is not that great. Mind you this is coming from someone whose ride is a Hyundai, not particularly known for great steering.
6. Gearshifts have a very short throw. However I did not find it as slick as Xcent or our old Swift. The gear lever does not feel premium to hold either.
7. Ride and handling are neutral. Owners will find no reason to complain. I was driving sedately, so it was not possible to judge the handling.
8. GC is good. The trip involved quite a few broken village roads. At some places road was non existent. With a load of 4 passengers and more than half bootfull of luggage, the car did not scrape anywhere.
9. The engine is tolerant to lugging. It will not immediately start choking and shuddering. On one occasion the car was in 3rd gear at 15 kmph, still the engine did not complain. (I had missed downshifting while slowing down for a pothole & shifted to 2nd immediately after I realised this)
10. I like the exterior looks of the car. It looks imposing, though not a true SUV.
11. Plastics are of acceptable quality. However something better would have been appreciated at this price.
12. This is how the central console looks in the S variant:
Honda WR-V : Official Review-img_6766.jpg
Too much of economy grade plastic. Text on the HU display is a bit small to be read easily on the go.
13. Space - loads of it! Every seat has abundant space.
14. NVH is average. Outside noises do manage to filter in. One peculiar observation is that the noise level inside the car (on rear seat) increases significantly on wet roads. I wonder why - is that noises due to water splashing onto the body? The engine itself is very refined though.
15. The most important question in India - Kitna deti hai? For this 190 km trip, the mileage was 15.8 kmpl according to the MID. The conditions were mixed. 100 km of NH-8, 15-20 km of absolutely horrible rural roads (speed less than 10 kmph) and 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic on NH-8 before Vasai creek bridge during the return journey. I would say this is a good figure considering the conditions.

In a nutshell, the WR-V scores high on practicality. The sunroof offered in VX variant is an additional bonus. However, enthusiasts would be left wanting for more. It suits dad well, as he is a sedate driver and wanted a compact, high GC, spacious car with decent boot space. High GC was a non negotiable requirement due to the roads he drives on. WR-V ticked all the right boxes for him.

I hope this short post is of help to BHPians considering the car

Before ending, here is a parting shot of the car:
Honda WR-V : Official Review-img_6785.jpg

Last edited by AkMar : 17th August 2017 at 16:58. Reason: Added pic
AkMar is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 10:27   #115
BHPian
 
deehunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 965
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

I have completed 3000 km's in the last 2 months, my views about the WR-V,
  1. Driving position is very good - Still the steering position is on the lower side like Eco Sport which makes the telescopic adjustment useless.
  2. The lower gear drivability of the 1.2 L engine is very good, but the flat spots in higher gears will force you into sedate driving.
  3. The positioning of the pedals and seat belts are not ergonomic.
  4. Gearshifts have a very short throw, comfortable for city driving
  5. Ground Clearance is adequate and suspension is not as bumpy as the Eco Sport
  6. Interior plastics quality is strictly average and dashboard is bland.
  7. Seating comfort is excellent compared to other cars in the segment.
  8. Space is in abundance inside the car. My parents feel very comfortable on long rides.
  9. The insulation of cabin noise is average, clearly needs improvement at this price.
  10. The average FE in city so far has been 12.5-13.5 kmpl, on highway with AC and 4 occupants, I am able to achieve 16.5 plus kmpl.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 19:28   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kochi
Posts: 50
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

I had made a trip to Ooty in the new WRV VX IDTEC last week. Overall the drive feel was good. One thing I felt was the lag in the 2nd gear, when you have to slow down and accelerate while climbing the slopes. The A pillar does obstruct the view on curves: one has to get used to that. The car was in the initial 1000 km range. What surprised me was the mileage figure for the total trip of 606 kms @24.2 km/l.
tomchacks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 12:13   #117
MCR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 727
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

I took the TD of the WR-V not once but twice. In the first TD, I was quiet impressed with the car and had thought of booking. However, decided to take a TD once again and the second TD was a longer one with me sitting in the passenger seat and the rear seat.
The second TD gave me a perspective which forced me to decide against buying one.
The reasons are as below;
1. Touching the co passengers hand with every gear shift.
2. Missing features like cooled glove box despite paying 1.2 million rupees.
3. Average build quality. The TD car had numerous rattles.
4. rear seat is good for two adults and misses center armrest!
5. AC effectiveness in the rear is low.

So considering the above points, I feel instated of these sub 4 meter cars, it's better to buy the mid variants of C-segment sedans for the same price.
So instead of a Vx variant of WR-V Diesel, it's better to buy a Honda City SV Diesel or Honda City V Petrol or the New Verna EX Diesel MT.

Last edited by MCR : 24th August 2017 at 12:15.
MCR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2017, 13:27   #118
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 25
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

I feel Honda has not provided features like Cruise Control, Push Button start etc. in Petrol WRV, as they might be launching WRV ZX a.k.a City with 1.5 L Petrol with CVT, and all these missing features. Question is when? Are they waiting for Petrol Brezza to be launched?

In my opinion it would be far more convenient to drive, as compared to City in today's urban jungle. Bumper to bumper traffic demands smaller foot print and worsening road conditions definitely demand better ground clearance!
Jas21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 09:47   #119
BHPian
 
M00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 181 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas21 View Post
I feel Honda has not provided features like Cruise Control, Push Button start etc. in Petrol WRV, as they might be launching WRV ZX a.k.a City with 1.5 L Petrol with CVT, and all these missing features. Question is when? Are they waiting for Petrol Brezza to be launched?



In my opinion it would be far more convenient to drive, as compared to City in today's urban jungle. Bumper to bumper traffic demands smaller foot print and worsening road conditions definitely demand better ground clearance!

Question is when is this variant coming. They have literally gone off to sleep. It's one of the worst companies when it comes to launching a new product. They have really gone off their rockers in the last few years. Cars are good, reliable, I have 3, no issues but if I want to change to a WRV the variant like you suggested doesn't exist. Also if I want to go higher nothing exists. It's a proper mess that they are in and refuse to get out of.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 13:01   #120
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bathinda
Posts: 10
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Question is when is this variant coming. They have literally gone off to sleep. It's one of the worst companies when it comes to launching a new product. They have really gone off their rockers in the last few years. Cars are good, reliable, I have 3, no issues but if I want to change to a WRV the variant like you suggested doesn't exist. Also if I want to go higher nothing exists. It's a proper mess that they are in and refuse to get out of.
even i am waiting for this variant but it doesn't seems anywhere sooner. what i am getting is internet updates that Honda might consider HR-V next year considering the response they got for WR-V. In that case it is very unlikely that they offer WR-V in 1.5 litres with a CVT. Honda wants the CVT buyers to look out for Jazz. No push to sell petrol WR-V variants. They are happy to sell diesel.
so now i have to look out for another option as i fancy only petrol motors.
jazzy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 2694 18th November 2017 23:45
Honda Brio (Automatic) : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 364 4th October 2017 23:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks