Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 26th July 2017, 13:20   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Honda WR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Can someone confirm if Honda is not going to release Automatic version of WRV.

One of my friend is looking for a car in Compact Sedan/Compact SUV range. He has so far shortlisted Ecosport,WRV and Dzire(All Petrol). His family wants to buy WRV but lack of Auto trim is a big mental block for him.The sales guy is very confident that Honda will never release auto trim as long as Jazz is in production.
Appreciate if any have news/suggestion/scoops!
The sales guy is definitely winging it. There cannot be a "never" in this business. While there is no automatic edition now, Honda is free to launch it any time depending on demand foreseen. In fact, the WRV is the only Honda product available today without an automatic option. There were some rumours back in March about an automatic variant but no clear dates came out on launch of an automatic.
jetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 14:09   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The prime reason they quote is that Honda has retained all the needed practicality in the WRV, while making it more frugal having "ditched the less economical 1.5L petrol".
So, essentially, the reason for WR-V's "success" is the one thing we said is wrong with it - the 1.5 petrol?
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 15:09   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The prime reason they quote is that Honda has retained all the needed practicality in the WRV, while making it more frugal having "ditched the less economical 1.5L petrol".
Well I dont know about the article or what others feel, but having owned the City for 7 years and a Brio for 1.5 years, my experience is that the City 1.5 ivtec is more frugal than the 1.2 ivtec by a good margin.

On the contrary the 1.5 ivtec on the WRV would make it a compelling product. The only reason why Honda has not done this is because it will kill Golden Goose Honda City.
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:36   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Well I dont know about the article or what others feel, but having owned the City for 7 years and a Brio for 1.5 years, my experience is that the City 1.5 ivtec is more frugal than the 1.2 ivtec by a good margin.

On the contrary the 1.5 ivtec on the WRV would make it a compelling product. The only reason why Honda has not done this is because it will kill Golden Goose Honda City.
Actually the WRV is heavier than City. Also if you go to a Brazilian Honda FB group and try the translate option on the comments reg. the WRV, you'll see that it generates only about 12-13 kmpl mileage in real world driving. So, as much as we want the 1.5L iVTec+ CVT in the WRV, we just won't get it, unless Nexon steals a major chunk of WRV's business in the next quarter. For now, WRV is showing better numbers than City and Honda doesnt need to panic.
SpeedyGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 14:32   #110
BHPian

I had booked for a WRV Diesel S MT on May 31 and later changed to Diesel VX MT as the introduction of GST brought the VX prices down by around 50k. I got the delivery on 2nd Aug from Peninsular Honda Kochi. The color is Golden Brown. I was using a Diesel VW Vento for the last 6 years. I do miss the higher torque advantage of the Vento, but in city conditions the WRV is more comfortable. Shall post after a long trip I am planning this week.
tomchacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 11:55   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyGonzalez View Post
Actually the WRV is heavier than City. Also if you go to a Brazilian Honda FB group and try the translate option on the comments reg. the WRV, you'll see that it generates only about 12-13 kmpl mileage in real world driving. So, as much as we want the 1.5L iVTec+ CVT in the WRV, we just won't get it, unless Nexon steals a major chunk of WRV's business in the next quarter. For now, WRV is showing better numbers than City and Honda doesnt need to panic.
But then, City isn't from a segment that is exactly in its prime days. The sedans are being eaten up by compact SUVs or compact sedans big time. So sales numbers higher than the City shouldn't be the benchmark for Honda to be complacent. The numbers against cars from the WR-Vs segment should matter for comparison.

On a different note, what "routine" average are petrol WR-V owners getting? My friend with a top of the line WR-V is getting about 12kmpl for his daily commutes. All moderate traffic. No long lines etc. I've told him that those are the numbers that he should be expecting in the conditions & it would be better on highway rides. He is a bit anxious as other WR-V owners from some sort of an "official" whatsapp group are posting pictures with mileages upto 20kmpl on the MID. Obviously they'll be instantaneous FE numbers etc, but the friend is worried anyway. Want to give him some "real" comforting information which can only be sourced on this forum .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 14:48   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
But then, City isn't from a segment that is exactly in its prime days. The sedans are being eaten up by compact SUVs or compact sedans big time. So sales numbers higher than the City shouldn't be the benchmark for Honda to be complacent. The numbers against cars from the WR-Vs segment should matter for comparison.
Well said! Honda should also guard against what happened with Jazz. Remember in 2015 Jazz nearly as much as the City for 2 months till competition caught up (read: Baleno was launched).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
On a different note, what "routine" average are petrol WR-V owners getting? My friend with a top of the line WR-V is getting about 12kmpl for his daily commutes. All moderate traffic. No long lines etc.
He is a bit anxious as other WR-V owners from some sort of an "official" whatsapp group are posting pictures with mileages upto 20kmpl on the MID. Obviously they'll be instantaneous FE numbers etc, but the friend is worried anyway. Want to give him some "real" comforting information which can only be sourced on this forum .
I do not have an exact number for WR-V, but my 1.2L Brio gave me 13-13.5 in moderate traffic (over my three years of ownership). The number for WR-V should be a little lower than that considering the weight of car.

Ask your friend to not pay much heed to such posts. Most of them are driven either downhill or over short distances on empty roads. Such posts take the driving pleasure out of the ownership. It would be better if he subscribes to this post and exits that "official group" . Also teach him to rev the i-Vtec a bit - once he gets addicted to the "punch" he will stop looking at "km/l".
feluda86 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 15:06   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Ask your friend to not pay much heed to such posts. Most of them are driven either downhill or over short distances on empty roads. Such posts take the driving pleasure out of the ownership. It would be better if he subscribes to this post and exits that "official group" . Also teach him to rev the i-Vtec a bit - once he gets addicted to the "punch" he will stop looking at "km/l".
No kidding! I have done all the things that you mentioned already . Have also explained how the instantaneous FE calculation works & how he can see that magic number on his MID easily. Hopefully he'll see the happy things as I am hating him missing out on the new car joy!!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 16:57   #114
BHPian

Went for a good long ride in dad's WR-V i-VTEC this weekend covering a total distance of 180-190 km. Of these, I was at the wheel for around 100-110 km. My impressions as under:

1. Driving position is very good. Overall visibility is good, however A pillar creates a large blind spot.
2. As rightly said in the review, 1.2L engine is woefully inadequate for this car. In gear acceleration is nothing to talk about. I would term the performance below average. Our Xcent petrol performs much better than this. The car needs 1.5 i-VTEC, no two thoughts on that. I didn't cross 3k rpm as the car is still in running in period.
3. The clutch is light & brakes are adequate.
4. I found the illumination provided by headlights to be very good.
5. The steering is not particularly confidence inspiring in my opinion. It is very light which is good at city speeds. However it does not weigh up sufficiently as speed increases. The feel of steering too is not that great. Mind you this is coming from someone whose ride is a Hyundai, not particularly known for great steering.
6. Gearshifts have a very short throw. However I did not find it as slick as Xcent or our old Swift. The gear lever does not feel premium to hold either.
7. Ride and handling are neutral. Owners will find no reason to complain. I was driving sedately, so it was not possible to judge the handling.
8. GC is good. The trip involved quite a few broken village roads. At some places road was non existent. With a load of 4 passengers and more than half bootfull of luggage, the car did not scrape anywhere.
9. The engine is tolerant to lugging. It will not immediately start choking and shuddering. On one occasion the car was in 3rd gear at 15 kmph, still the engine did not complain. (I had missed downshifting while slowing down for a pothole & shifted to 2nd immediately after I realised this)
10. I like the exterior looks of the car. It looks imposing, though not a true SUV.
11. Plastics are of acceptable quality. However something better would have been appreciated at this price.
12. This is how the central console looks in the S variant:
Honda WR-V : Official Review-img_6766.jpg
Too much of economy grade plastic. Text on the HU display is a bit small to be read easily on the go.
13. Space - loads of it! Every seat has abundant space.
14. NVH is average. Outside noises do manage to filter in. One peculiar observation is that the noise level inside the car (on rear seat) increases significantly on wet roads. I wonder why - is that noises due to water splashing onto the body? The engine itself is very refined though.
15. The most important question in India - Kitna deti hai? For this 190 km trip, the mileage was 15.8 kmpl according to the MID. The conditions were mixed. 100 km of NH-8, 15-20 km of absolutely horrible rural roads (speed less than 10 kmph) and 30 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic on NH-8 before Vasai creek bridge during the return journey. I would say this is a good figure considering the conditions.

In a nutshell, the WR-V scores high on practicality. The sunroof offered in VX variant is an additional bonus. However, enthusiasts would be left wanting for more. It suits dad well, as he is a sedate driver and wanted a compact, high GC, spacious car with decent boot space. High GC was a non negotiable requirement due to the roads he drives on. WR-V ticked all the right boxes for him.

I hope this short post is of help to BHPians considering the car

Before ending, here is a parting shot of the car:
Honda WR-V : Official Review-img_6785.jpg

Last edited by AkMar : 17th August 2017 at 16:58. Reason: Added pic
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote