Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 4th October 2017, 07:20   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
There’s an annoying lull between the time you put your foot down and the transmission downshifts in response, especially when you want some speed for highway manoeuvres.
I was so looking forward to the 9-Speed ZF 4WD for my Duster 4WD replacement. This is disappointing to read. I hope they put in a performance mode to compensate people who enjoy driving.

Some of these transmissions also have an adaptive feature which changes shift patters based on driving styles. Wonder if this is integrated into the ZF on the Compass.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 08:01   #422
Senior - BHPian

Poster on FCA Technical Center in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_0406.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 08:21   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I was so looking forward to the 9-Speed ZF 4WD for my Duster 4WD replacement. This is disappointing to read.
I didn't know Compass MultiAir petrol was expected in 4WD variant. I distinctly remember being informed by the sales personnel that petrol varient is a Limited 2WD.

As for the MJD 4WD AT, he told me there's a good chance it will not be launched at all (in contrast with initial 'rumors' about expected launch in early '18) - the guy sounded well informed, I hope he's wrong on this, though :(
actinium15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 09:15   #424
BHPian

Please do not make any decisions based on the driving.ca report. It is for an altogether different engine.

The India spec engine characteristics and the programming for the India spec automatic transmissions will vary and will definitely change the driving dynamics.

So, until we get to TD the Indian spec AT Compass, fingers crossed !
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 09:39   #425
BHPian

Default Jeep Compass : Official Review

When did we start following foreign reviews of a car and started making decisions on it? If that would have been the case, the Ecosport for example would have been a sales dud in India. Just check the recent past 2 years review of the ecosport in websites like autocar UK or topgear and check the ratings.

The suspension, engine tuning, engine options everything would be different for the India spec Compass. The reviews are always relative to the competition in a country in which the foreign scene and quite different from ours.

Let's wait for an Indian review and then start contemplating.

Last edited by Waspune : 4th October 2017 at 09:46.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 10:25   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
the guy sounded well informed, I hope he's wrong on this, though :(
I have realized that sales reps are generally least informed about future models plans of the company.

Besides, they always have incentive to move what is in stock. If you ask them for a current model that is not in stock, they usually will tell you that it will take months etc, etc...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 12:05   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was so looking forward to the 9-Speed ZF 4WD for my Duster 4WD replacement
I think for Diesel it should be programmed differently due to much higher Torque available and lower focus on the economy over say a 2,4 Ltr Petrol. Besides they will definitely factor overall difference in highways and city traffic overseas against stop-go Indian conditions. ZF is the best in business

Quote:
When did we start following foreign reviews of a car and started making decisions on it?
Well, it depends on the segment, most of the premium cars carry same specifications. Even with cars which are launched with different engines and transmission, I believe many of the observations are valid.

Quote:
The reviews are always relative to the competition in a country in which the foreign scene and quite different from ours.
Quote:
Let's wait for an Indian review and then start contemplating
Agreed, to me Auto Diesel should be ok but a Petrol Auto can be a concern.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th October 2017 at 12:06.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 15:50   #428
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Prakash for sharing. The rear LHS strut of his Jeep Compass Limited 4x2 is leaking already! 1,500 km on the odometer.
Prakash has an update for us:
Quote:
Thanks for the support. KHT Prime today replaced the rear LHS strut under warranty.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_0178.jpg
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 15:56   #429
BHPian

Niggles do happen across all manufacturers, even the
ones reputed for reliability. The willingness to accept faults and take care of the customer rather than keeping him running from pillar to post sets the good ones apart.
petroguzzler is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 16:35   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Well, it depends on the segment, most of the premium cars carry same specifications. Even with cars which are launched with different engines and transmission, I believe many of the observations are valid.
Its not about the specs my friend. Its about the kind of competition a product faces in a country. How many non-VAG auto turbo petrols do we have in India? In the west its a norm so the competition is stiffer.

The Ecosport 2017 (facelifted) has scored just 5 out of 10 in autocar UK review. You think it would be the same in India?
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 07:04   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Niggles do happen across all manufacturers, even the ones reputed for reliability. The willingness to accept faults and take care of the customer rather than keeping him running from pillar to post sets the good ones apart.
Exactly !!. If they are sympathetic to the customer and make a genuine effort to replace the part under warranty in a timely manner, most of us will forget it and move on, without berating the brand online media.

But when they resist and try to blame the customer for shoddy quality of the manufacturer is when it becomes a problem.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 14:53   #432

I own a Nissan Micra (first ever diesel model) and one of the prime reasons why I bought a Micra was for it's drivability in the city.

For few years now, I have started driving a lot more on motor ways for Holidays with my family and they have started enjoying it more than the mundane train/flight journeys. Also, it's been 6 years now and I have started looking for an upgrade - not that Micra is giving problems (I am servicing it just once a year, spending < 6K/year). I owned a Verna earlier and moved consciously to a Micro for the city driving; now am tempted to go back bigger - maybe a SUV!

So, after reading the BHP review of the Jeep Compass, I wanted to jump couple of class and took a test drive this weekend. I should say I was pleasantly surprised. . It was a holiday weekend, but the roads were still quite busy in Chennai and it was a pleasure to drive the Compass. Didn't see any difficulty, considering the Micra's city driving positives.

Am seriously considering the Compass now, but wanted to explore other options like Hyundai Creta or even a Tucson. It appears Jeep is set for India and I heard the exports to Europe and other markets will be from our Pune plant.

So, reaching out to the esteemed BHPians for guidance - should I go for it or wait for few more months to clear any initial niggles that the Compass may have? Also, should I consider a Creta - it's a few lakhs cheaper, but not so sure about the driving pleasure?
karthikkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 15:53   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikkr View Post
Also, should I consider a Creta - it's a few lakhs cheaper, but not so sure about the driving pleasure?
From a driving perspective with closed eyes it is the Compass. And that sight of Creta yes it has slightly better gizmo list, but that doesn't really make a difference if you are looking at driving pleasure as a serious factor.

Just my two paisa worth
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2017, 16:09   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
From a driving perspective with closed eyes it is the Compass. And that sight of Creta yes it has slightly better gizmo list, but that doesn't really make a difference if you are looking at driving pleasure as a serious factor.

Just my two paisa worth
Thanks a lot! Will do couple of more test drives and hopefully move forward.
Old 5th October 2017, 16:21   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Niggles do happen across all manufacturers, even the
ones reputed for reliability. The willingness to accept faults and take care of the customer rather than keeping him running from pillar to post sets the good ones apart.
Agree...I had issues with my 1st Gen Nissan. Rear wheel bearings were faulty and was creating lots of noise. It was changed with minimum fuss within a visit. Considering Jeep investing heavy in India (Pune plant et al), let's hope they are here for a long stay! Compass will surely start the journey...the trick is that they have to sustain it and not take the GM route...