Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 21st April 2018, 19:50   #976
BHPian

Default Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes I sure hope so that they have the parts. Thankfully most of the parts should be available at least in their Pune factory.
My experience with LED bulbs in the Compass has been quite bad. I first got Excelite LED bulbs from the dealer at 18k - totally useless. Next I ordered LED bulbs from Aliexpress, again useless, then again one more set from Aliexpress called GTRS G8L which also don't have the right beam throw. Finally I settled on 9011 Philips halogen HIR bulbs which are much better than stock and have the exact same wattage of 65W , from Amazon US. Get these bulbs from there as they are the best option with proper beam throw.

Hi! Sorry I am completely clueless about what bulb to buy and trying to understand my best options for buying something in the US. I do not want the following:
- Something that voids warranty
- Or generates too much heat, have seen OEM housings melt with overpowered bulbs in other cars

I see some LEDs with built in fans and claims of 6k intensity @36W/ bulb priced around $150, I am OK with buying something like that, provided it doesnt affect warranty. If not - would something like this fit the requirement?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OL356/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

For my limited compass - what bulb should I be looking for H3/ H11 - are they interchangeable?

Last edited by ff1609 : 21st April 2018 at 19:51.
ff1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 20:10   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Hi! Sorry I am completely clueless about what bulb to buy and trying to understand my best options for buying something in the US. I do not want the following:
- Something that voids warranty
- Or generates too much heat, have seen OEM housings melt with overpowered bulbs in other cars

I see some LEDs with built in fans and claims of 6k intensity @36W/ bulb priced around $150, I am OK with buying something like that, provided it doesnt affect warranty. If not - would something like this fit the requirement?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OL356/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

For my limited compass - what bulb should I be looking for H3/ H11 - are they interchangeable?
I would still suggest avoiding LEDs as most of them will not work properly on the Compass.
I would still suggest the 9011 HIR bulbs which are available only from US and they are a worthwhile upgrade without exceeding stock wattage of 65W. The OE stock bulbs are 9005 (also called HB3) in 65W watts only.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 21:04   #978
BHPian

Quote:
I would still suggest avoiding LEDs as most of them will not work properly on the Compass.
I would still suggest the 9011 HIR bulbs which are available only from US and they are a worthwhile upgrade without exceeding stock wattage of 65W. The OE stock bulbs are 9005 (also called HB3) in 65W watts only.

Thanks 9011 HIR it is then! Is this the low beam bulb or does it contain both?
ff1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 21:12   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Thanks 9011 HIR it is then! Is this the low beam bulb or does it contain both?
The Limited version has only one bulb (9005) in the Projector housing which serves as both low beam and high beam by means of a bixenon shutter in the housing. You will need to modify the top tab of the 9011 bulb by 3mm with a nail clipper to make it fit perfectly.
(The sport variant of the Compass uses two bulbs - 9005 for Low beam and H11 for high beam. The Ltd version only uses one 9005 bulb)
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 21:44   #980
BHPian

Quote:
The Limited version has only one bulb (9005) in the Projector housing which serves as both low beam and high beam by means of a bixenon shutter in the housing. You will need to modify the top tab of the 9011 bulb by 3mm with a nail clipper to make it fit perfectly.
(The sport variant of the Compass uses two bulbs - 9005 for Low beam and H11 for high beam. The Ltd version only uses one 9005 bulb)
Thank you for sharing that critical bit of info, I was getting swayed in the wrong directions - looking at this http://www.philipsautolighting.com/b...2017&trim=NULL
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 00:12   #981
BHPian

I took delivery of my 2017 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 in white today evening in an elaborate ceremony consisting of cake cutting, pulling the wraps off the car and handing over key and docs with the whole staff participating. Was a pleasant surprise when I consider that my Ecosport delivery 5 years ago at Lathangi Ford was a nondescript affair.

Overall, I was satisfied with the experience at the dealership. They didn't insist on in-house insurance although the SA highlighted the cashless thing. Also I transferred the 45% NCB that I had accumulated on my Ecosport to the Compass and the total savings on premium came to 52K (31K vs 83K). Will write more on that in the insurance thread.

I drove around town for about 30 km and to be honest it was really hard getting adjusted to the new experience, considering that this is my first diesel car ever and my first manual transmission in 10 years. I stalled the engine multiple times, and once during that the "Oil Pressure low" message flashed in the MID for a second and went. It didn't come back after that, so I drove another 20km, but without any more incidents. On getting home I called up the SA to check, and got a strange and unconvincing reply - that it always happens once in diesel engines. And only if it shows up again to take the car to the service center. I pray that I am not looking at the first niggle in my new car.

After trying unsuccessfully to get a tyre swap, I have decided to keep the Firestones and drive carefully. Do you see the irony of driving a 4X4 and avoiding bad roads because your tyres are too soft? BTW, the tyres are really soft. I pressed gently on the rubber and it felt like foam.

Am not sure I will be writing an initial ownership review, so this is my short take.
civic-sense is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 21:32   #982

Quote:
Hi Guys,
With respect to the Jeep Compass LTD and Longitude variants, I have an observation that the headlights are insufficient for safe usage. My logic is as below:

The LTD projector version uses HB3 bulbs which in standard version output around 1200 Lumens of light (The OE Long life bulbs); Even High output ones like Osram Nightbreaker and Philips Xtremevision have a Lumen output of 1600-1800 Lumens, with severely compromised life of 250-300 Hours.

Out of this light output, more than 30% of the light is cutoff by the Bixenon Shutter (Hi-Low beam shutter). So the effective light output of the headlight is only 800Lumens per headlight (with Standard bulbs). There is no separate High beam bulb in both the Longitude and the Limited variants.

In Case of the LTD (O) version, it uses D3S HID lamps of 35W with a Light output of 3600 Lumens. From this the shutter reduces 30% of the cutoff light and you still are left with 2500 lumens.

800 Lumens per headlight on the LTD version (with Halogen Bulbs) is completely insufficient and is a hazard and has very poor road visibility.
Even the most basic cars with H4 bulbs and single reflectors have 1200 Lumen light output (as there is no shutter in them and you get full light in High / low beam)

Nowadays all cars have moved to separate reflector arrangements for High and low beams - even the Sport variants have it! Why is that Ltd version buyers should get a far poorer light output than even the Sport variant versions! The Sport versions have 1200Lumens Low beam + 1200 Lumens High beam (per headlight).

I strongly feel that the LTD version headlight beam with Halogens is insufficient and we should raise this to FCA collectively for some solution.
Other Compass owners with LTD and Longitude variants also please share your views!
I'll second your thoughts, I own a Jeep Compass Limited version and the headlights of this vehicle are totally insufficient for the speeds this car is capable of. I had gone to Ranthambore and night driving was scary in the mountains!
abhoumick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 15:04   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Am not sure I will be writing an initial ownership review, so this is my short take.
Update.

The stall fest continues. And am extremely unhappy that I am very slow from a traffic signal. By the time, I had traversed through the first and second gears, half of the fellow cars would have gone past me. There is quite a gap between the first and second gears very similar to what it was in my Palio S10. What I love is the third gear, I can run around in third gear unless I have to slow down.

The car doesn't feel like a 170bhp car. Am not complaining here. It is a heavy car and whatever power is available is good enough for my needs. Plus, I don't see any turbo lag anywhere.

The footwell is cramped. My left foot hits the dead pedal ocassionally, when I press the clutch.

The gear knob looks beautiful and is a delight to hold, but not very nice when it comes to operating. It is slippery and slips out of my hand when I have to shift to second gear.

The RPM meter is hard to read, even though it is quite large. The glass/plastic in front of it has an annoying curve and is reflective.

It wasn't very easy for me to find an comfortable riding position. I used to sit far away from the steering and the seat back reclined. The need to reach the clutch pedal has made me sit forward taking away the relaxed seating posture.

Reverse camera output isn't stellar. I would be happy if I could replace it with a a higher resolution camera. Even the screen is low resolution and low in contrast. In comparison the MID screen is superb. I'd rather switch off the MFD and look at the MID.

The steering is a delight to hold and operate. I don't feel there is a dead spot in the center - at last. My Civic and Ecosport had it.

Last edited by civic-sense : 24th April 2018 at 15:06.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote