Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 6th December 2017, 21:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I was slightly disappointed when I learnt I couldn't upshift manually unless the RPM has crossed 1950-2000 mark. If the RPM is less than that, then it just ignores all upshift requests. I wish the tuning could be changed a bit as I usually am on the 3rd gear when I reach 29-30 kmph when driving a manual car.
Exactly my thoughts. I wish it was possible to tell the car that it should up-shift earlier in city traffic.

May be an 'eco' mode or something, which allowed a sedate shift pattern -

0 to 7 kmph - 1st
8 to 20 - 2nd
21 to 35 - 3rd
36 to 50 - 4th
51 to 70 - 5th
71 and up - 6th

Since it is a torque converter equipped AT, I am not sure about this pattern improving the FE. Shifting too early to a higher gear would not let the torque converter to engage the direct drive sooner, and it may spend more time working as a fluid coupling; thereby decreasing the efficiency. For an MT car, shifting sooner to a higher gear while driving sedately would surely improve FE.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th December 2017 at 21:49.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 10:24   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I wish it was possible to tell the car that it should up-shift earlier in city traffic.
Is it really worth it?

The main advantage of getting an AT is convenience and the ease it offers, especially in traffic. So, better to leave it in D and let the power-train do its job right? Is a kilometer or two such a big deal in the grand scheme of things? Certainly not worth the extra stress on the driver or the car.

I would rather give it some time to settle down with more miles on the odometer. And also try urging the transmission to shift up by modulating the A pedal once the engine is at the correct temperature. I have noted that it works best than going all manual with a run-of-the-mill AT.

Btw, congratulations on the new Verna. Here in Kochi at least, I see a lot new cars. Looks like it has taken over as the market's favorite from the City.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 11:57   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post
Good to see this. My Verna AT has done about 1500kms so far, and I get about 9-10kmpl in regular city driving. Goes up to about 13-14 during Sunday drives when the traffic is about 40% less.

Cruise control surely is the recipe to draw out the best mileage
I think once the engine runs 10,000 km or so, the mileage should improve ~2km/liter. That happened with my Ritz once it ran a few thousand km

I have a manual diesel SX(O) next gen Verna. I seem to get 11-12 in regular city driving, 15-16 during less traffic and highway driving mileage varies based on whether it has a ghat section.
Looks like the auto box gives ~1.5 - 2 km/liter less than the manual. For those looking for convenience, it is not such a big matter
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 14:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is it really worth it?
The main advantage of getting an AT is convenience and the ease it offers, especially in traffic. So, better to leave it in D and let the power-train do its job right?
Agree on this perspective. I didn't mean to use manual shifter to make this possible, but was wishing for a couple of driving modes within the 'D' mode to change the shift patterns depending where you are driving. Early shifts in slow city driving and more aggressive shifts during highway runs. Like the Honda City's 'ECO' button on the CVT variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Btw, congratulations on the new Verna. Here in Kochi at least, I see a lot new cars. Looks like it has taken over as the market's favorite from the City.
Thanks! Here in Trivandrum it is comparatively less in numbers I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Looks like the auto box gives ~1.5 - 2 km/liter less than the manual. For those looking for convenience, it is not such a big matter
Last page of this thread I have posted (Hyundai Verna : Official Review) my FE figures of my SX+ AT variant - consistently getting 13 kmpl in city + suburban roads with moderate to heavy traffic.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th December 2017 at 14:42.
Old 7th December 2017, 18:38   #80

Thumbs up Re: Hyundai Verna : Official Review

Much awaited review , nicely compiled Kudos.

Was wondering how the lights would be , but looking at those pictures the throw seems excellent. Missing under body cladding seems a miss in most new cars , don't know how the unclad portions under bonnet will behave. Have heard of stones propping up and doing some damage.

Last edited by ampere : 7th December 2017 at 19:16.
iceman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 19:48   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Is it possible to fit an underbody cladding after-market? Any good places like 3M that do that?
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 23:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Don't go by ARAI figures the Verna can never deliver the mileage (and performance) the City does. I did the TD of the '16 Verna (last gen) and '17 City back to back and they are as different as chalk and cheese, inside out. Before I chose the City. I have owned only Hyundai's for the last 18 years.
A bit off topic but I wanted to know how has your overall experience with Hyundai's all these years ? Were they reliable and gave any major issues or were they trouble free except for routine maintenance ?

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 07:48   #83
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A bit off topic but I wanted to know how has your overall experience with Hyundai's all these years ? Were they reliable and gave any major issues or were they trouble free except for routine maintenance ?

Thanks
My experience has been good. They have been reliable, low on maintainance and the company has been receptive to customer feedback.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 07:59   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Very irritating and very loud so I got the service center to disable the beeping during lock/unlock. I think they disconnected a wire, not very sure about what they did. Much better now.
I think this is not a proper fix to the problem, as it will disable the security alarm as well. I am looking for a software based fix or even a juggad fix where wires to this speaker is connected via an additional switch installed in the dashboard.