Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 12:52   #1681
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 553
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I visited Concorde here in Bangalore. IIRC there was engine heat shield!
Owners Kindly confirm!
the MJD does have it !! But please note that Sivasankar test drove the 1.4 FIRE and not the 1.3 MJD

As stated by others : the quality of plastics is not an issue. After 10 months of ownership not a single plastic part has fallen off from my Punto.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 13:02   #1682
BHPian
 
sharanramesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: Once
Default

Well just to add to the heat shield discussion, my 1.4 Emo Pk did not have it when i bought it. i requested the dealership to get it for me, and in less that 2 days i got it fixed to myu car at a cost of Rs. 275

So if you really want it, you can get it. the only difference i noticed is a perceptible decrease in the sound of the engine.

ive completed 8000kms in my punto, and ive had a trouble with the clutch plate which was replaced under warranty. that apart, ive been more than overjoyed and i get about 10 kpl with AC in the city and upto 14 kpl on the highways with AC. what you never tire of are the looks. it truly is very pretty!
sharanramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 13:06   #1683
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 874 Times
Default

sharan , what was the problem with the clutch , was it slipping ?
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 13:24   #1684
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

MCR, thanks for confirmation. I also had mentioned this to Polo SP saying Punto offers heat guard but its missing your "GERMAN" engineered car. he advised, yes sir it will be in next set of cars. So a person who was inspecting car asks SP " So will i get this for my car since i will be getting Polo from current set"

Quote:
I have driven twice on Shiradi ghat
That says it all. Shirad ghat was one of the pathetic roads around here. has become better now a days though
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 14:32   #1685
BHPian
 
SpinWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 80
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Guys, what about Punto Sportz ? I've heard that it will be out in June-July. Can anyone please confirm this ? As per reports from auto expo it was supposed to be out by the first quarter of this year.
SpinWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 14:44   #1686
BHPian
 
Sound_Affects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 93
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I have driven twice on Shiradi ghat and also on bad patches and fortunately my car has only one rattle on the LHS side of the dash board, but its not a major one and cannot be heard when the music is on. Hopefully it stays this way.
When I compare this to my erstwhile Santro, which developed rattles the first time I hit Shiradi ghat, I am very happy.
I have the very same problem its like a squeaking sound from the left side of the dash and my cars done just 1450km. Any idea as to what might the reason.
Sound_Affects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 16:52   #1687
BHPian
 
spindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madras
Posts: 229
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Between the GP 1.4 and 1.3 MJD (E+), which makes for a better drive (for a rookie driver) - within the city and on the highways? Also, is the petrol easier to maintain than the diesel (increased costs are to be expected but I am talking about reliability / diesel-specific niggles)?

I am not sure if I'll do anything over 1K kms a month (and likely less than 250 kms in the city) and hence the diesel certainly isn't warranted. However, if the driving experience is going to be a lot more engaging with the diesel, I guess I can look at it.

I'd be grateful if any owners can chip in with their thoughts.

Last edited by spindoc : 15th April 2010 at 16:54.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 17:20   #1688
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Between the GP 1.4 and 1.3 MJD (E+), which makes for a better drive (for a rookie driver) - within the city and on the highways? Also, is the petrol easier to maintain than the diesel (increased costs are to be expected but I am talking about reliability / diesel-specific niggles)?

I am not sure if I'll do anything over 1K kms a month (and likely less than 250 kms in the city) and hence the diesel certainly isn't warranted. However, if the driving experience is going to be a lot more engaging with the diesel, I guess I can look at it.

I'd be grateful if any owners can chip in with their thoughts.
If you like the vrooom of the engine you will like GP 1.4. If you like the torque then you will love the MJD especially with the turbo kicking in at higher RPMs. Since the cost difference between petrol an diesel for same version is approx 60K I guess you can go for Diesel.
And please get the notion of X number of kms to be covered per month out of your mind. Just enjoy the car.

Last edited by download2live : 15th April 2010 at 17:21. Reason: typo
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 17:25   #1689
MCR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 701
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
I have the very same problem its like a squeaking sound from the left side of the dash and my cars done just 1450km. Any idea as to what might the reason.
Absolutely no idea sir. I tried investigating but found nothing loose. May be an electric connector behind the dash. But I am not the one to get purturbed by it. I will get it rectified in my second service which is in November 2010. Till then, it will be 'increase the volume of the music, if the sound is irritating' mode.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 17:49   #1690
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 622
Thanked: 563 Times
Default

spindoc,

I own a MJD so have no experience with the petrol car. As far as matainenance is concerned, I would say the cost so far is low when compared to what I had expected. I paid Rs.2300 for my 2nd service, which I would say is very low as the car goes in for service only once in a year/ every 15,000km.

You may have read umpteen times that the linear power delivery of the diesel might not be fun for a spitited driver, but if you are a sedate driver you will be able to enjoy the linear power delivery which is quite fun too. There is a turbo lag in the second gear which might be a hinderant but that wouldn't bother you in the highways. Get the opinion from petrol owners and decide accordingly.

Wish you all the best for your new car!
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 20:26   #1691
BHPian
 
Sound_Affects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 93
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Absolutely no idea sir. I tried investigating but found nothing loose. May be an electric connector behind the dash. But I am not the one to get purturbed by it. I will get it rectified in my second service which is in November 2010. Till then, it will be 'increase the volume of the music, if the sound is irritating' mode.
thank you for confirming. it'll be really nice of you to share post service whether or not its rectified.
Sound_Affects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 20:36   #1692
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 889
Thanked: 266 Times
Default

guys, sharan's post has set me thinking, why do we have to pay Rs. 275 more to have a heat shield installed in a top of the line 1.4 E+ Punto when the MJD comes with one?

Can Punto owners in Chennai suggest the best one of all the Fiat dealers in Chennai?

And on the FE front, does the car deliver over 12 kmpl as some owners have mentioned?

Last edited by Sivasankar : 15th April 2010 at 20:38.
Sivasankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 23:09   #1693
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 739
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

If I understand it correctly, is this heat shield a sound-deadener? I mean some padding that goes under the bonnet?
I will get it done for my Linea too, seems pretty cheap at 250 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
Well just to add to the heat shield discussion, my 1.4 Emo Pk did not have it when i bought it. i requested the dealership to get it for me, and in less that 2 days i got it fixed to myu car at a cost of Rs. 275

So if you really want it, you can get it. the only difference i noticed is a perceptible decrease in the sound of the engine.
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 23:27   #1694
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 553
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
spindoc,

I own a MJD so have no experience with the petrol car. As far as matainenance is concerned, I would say the cost so far is low when compared to what I had expected. I paid Rs.2300 for my 2nd service, which I would say is very low as the car goes in for service only once in a year/ every 15,000km.
!
Cliffhanger : something is wrong here. Can you provide the breakup of the service cost ? 2300 seems too low to me.

For the second service : The oil alone costs around Rs.2000 (3.2 litres fully synthetic)
+ add to it you have to replace the following components
- Oil filter
- Fuel filter
- ACC Pollen filter
- Air Filter

No way all of this + the synthetic oil is going to add up to Rs.2300. It is going to be much more than that (something in the range of 3.5k - 4k)
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 00:14   #1695
BHPian
 
Minardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 408
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

friends, my father is considering to buy Punto 1.2 in the medium grey color. But the dealer is de-selling the idea of medium grey, saying it is a dark color, difficult to maintain, and will absorb heat and AC will not cool it efficiently. Is the dealer right or does he have his own interests to look after? Are there any issues with AC esp. in the 1.2L variant? kindly suggest!

Last edited by Minardi : 16th April 2010 at 00:30.
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 230 3rd June 2017 11:06
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks