Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 21:28   #3421
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
If you are not an NRI, you are inviting the attention of the IT radar. Income tax radar.

Congrats for your bold decision of opting for the GP
Well, I assume he paid by cash, cheque or DD, and all of them would require a PAN. Thus the IT department already knows. And the moment such a large transaction occurs through a bank, the IT dept is notified. So he is not just inviting the radar, but has the pretty firm attention of the radar operator.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 21:51   #3422
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,060
Thanked: 1,954 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Punto comes with a 5years Paint protection warranty. Just keep an eye on the door joints, areas behind rubber beadings and the car's underbelly. That should do. Modern day cars don't need anti-rust treatment, so save your bucks for something else.
what are you saying? 5 yrs paint warranty, I dint know that! does it come with an anti corrosion warranty as well?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 8th June 2011 at 21:52.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 22:54   #3423
BHPian
 
PuntoMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 209
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Well, I assume he paid by cash, cheque or DD, and all of them would require a PAN. Thus the IT department already knows. And the moment such a large transaction occurs through a bank, the IT dept is notified. So he is not just inviting the radar, but has the pretty firm attention of the radar operator.
Nothing to worry about for me here Julupani. Its all legal and white
PuntoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 08:38   #3424
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,700
Thanked: 773 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Punto comes with a 5years Paint protection warranty. Just keep an eye on the door joints, areas behind rubber beadings and the car's underbelly. That should do. Modern day cars don't need anti-rust treatment, so save your bucks for something else.
I have a problem.. My car (2009 MJD E) had an accident on June 08 last year. The left door was damaged (not major) - but there was deep dent, so deep that the window could not be lowered. The car was taken to an authorised service station (Hyson Motors, Thrissur) for repair. The workshop repaired the same door instead of replacing it, citing non-availability of a new door. The repair was done under insurance.

Yesterday, I noticed rusting on the inside of the door (near the door lock). The SA at Concorde Motors also noticed rusting around the mirror area while replacing the left ORVM assembly. I had written to Fiat last year raising apprehensions of rusting if the same door was repaired, but due to lack of spares I had to approve the repair.

Now, what can I do? The door is certainly rusting. There is a small bubble in the area that was painted as well. (The car was returned to me after repairs on June 28, 2010 - a good 19 days for repairing and repainting a door).

Please help out on what should I do? I had another accident yesterday when a rick rammed on to my rear left door - the paint in the area has peeled out, and metal is now exposed out. So, the car is certainly going to the workshop over this weekend for repairs.

Is there anything that I can do for the rusting of the front door - which occured due to mishandling by the earlier workshop.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 08:52   #3425
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

If rusting is the issue, I believe FIAT warranty will cover the expenses and replace the door for you. But I also think you will have to leave the vehicle with them for quite some time to get a replacement door. I think repairing a door is not such a bad option, but the job has to be handled well, which may not have been the case with your car.

I know of a friend who had to wait for about 20days, for a replacement door for his Linea to arrive from the factory. Unfortunately due to the small numbers of FIAT it is not logical for the service guys to keep replacement body parts at hand. Unlike, a relative's Alto whose door got replaced, starting from reporting at the service center with an FIR copy to getting the car back, in just 3days.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 09:03   #3426
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 1,005 Times
Default Jai - the T.Wine Punto 1.3 MJD Active

Got my T-Wine Punto 1.3 Active delivered on May 27th, and touchwood, I am very happy with the car. The car (christened Jai - took inspiration from Amithabs name in Sholay) have already crossed 1K during last weekend, and I will open a thread after I rake up some more miles.

The decision to get the Punto was very easy - the only other car I wanted to consider was Cedia but then the fact that
there is no Cedia diesel made my choice very easy. I know this comparison will appear as bizarre to many, I will explain the rationale behind this when I open up my ownership thread.

I got a good deal - 1 year insurance, extended warranty, RSA free from Fiat, 3K corporate discount, 5K cash discount, free Garware sun film, rain guards car cover, mat and flaps from the showroom. I took the delivery from Hyson motors, Kodungalloor, and the fact that it was my second car in so many years from same showroom helped a lot - All the people we dealt with were familiar faces and the total experience was very good.

After taking the delivery, the forgetful me promptly forgot where I kept my spare key. I have turned my house upside down but till now, I am not able to find it. Did anyone here order the spare key from Fiat? Any idea how many days they will take and what will be the charges.

I did not get the central locking done from showroom since they charge about 10K from it, and I have read people from Pune get it demo from outside ( from Carax \ Bhandari) but when i enquired at Bangalore, I could not find any place where I can get it done. Did anyone get the central locking done on their Punto Active from Bangalore? Any pointers about where I can get it done outside will be really helpful.
If nothing works out, I have to get it done from showroom itself by paying a
hefty premium over what the Pune folks shelled out.

Adding some snaps of Jai (The last 2 snaps are of my two proud possessions from Tata-Fiat stable) :
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1139.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1155.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1168.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-dsc_1181.jpg  


Last edited by theexperthand : 9th June 2011 at 09:20.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 09:16   #3427
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

wow congratulations the car look so good in this color.
you can check for central locking at auto shop koramangala
ms001 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 09:43   #3428
BHPian
 
PuntoMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 209
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I agree, the tuscan wine colour is absolutely gorgeus. Congratulations on the purchase ! I also considered going in for this colour but black was too close to my heart to consider. Looks like you have in your possession, two cars with the two most difficult colours to maintain (black and tuscan wine) ! And that too on the muddy, wet roads of God's own country - Good luck !

Just a bit OT here, I think the paint quality on the Punto in any shade is better than almost any hatchback you see on Indian roads. The Red and Tuscan wine colour especially stand out from other hatches with similar shades..
PuntoMania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 10:18   #3429
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 1,005 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
wow congratulations the car look so good in this color.
you can check for central locking at auto shop koramangala
Thanks Manu, I will check out Autoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
I also considered going in for this colour but black was too close to my heart to consider. Looks like you have in your possession, two cars with the two most difficult colours to maintain (black and tuscan wine) ! And that too on the muddy, wet roads of God's own country - Good luck !
Thanks mate, for the good luck

Black was my first choice - I LOVE black color cars, but since I already have one black and my previous car was also black, wifi said this time we should look at T.Wine. The more I saw T.Wine, the more I liked the color, and at last, I chose it over black, but still I have a huge soft corner for a shiny black Punto. The Vista is doing duty at Gods own country while the Punto is right now at Bangalore.

All the best for the delivery on Sunday. Do treat us with some pics after you take the delivery.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 10:52   #3430
BHPian
 
sanjaymugur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

why does not the newer PUNTO's have rear stabilization bar, even the 90bhp does not have. can i procure it from FIAT service/spares. seriously thinking about 90bhp version..
sanjaymugur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 15:58   #3431
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 615
Thanked: 486 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
what are you saying? 5 yrs paint warranty, I dint know that! does it come with an anti corrosion warranty as well?
Check the Handbook, Paint and body will be covered under warranty to be rust free for the entire warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I have a problem.. My car (2009 MJD E) had an accident on June 08 last year. The left door was damaged (not major) - but there was deep dent, so deep that the window could not be lowered. The car was taken to an authorised service station (Hyson Motors, Thrissur) for repair. The workshop repaired the same door instead of replacing it, citing non-availability of a new door. The repair was done under insurance.

Yesterday, I noticed rusting on the inside of the door (near the door lock). The SA at Concorde Motors also noticed rusting around the mirror area while replacing the left ORVM assembly. I had written to Fiat last year raising apprehensions of rusting if the same door was repaired, but due to lack of spares I had to approve the repair.

Now, what can I do? The door is certainly rusting. There is a small bubble in the area that was painted as well. (The car was returned to me after repairs on June 28, 2010 - a good 19 days for repairing and repainting a door).

Please help out on what should I do? I had another accident yesterday when a rick rammed on to my rear left door - the paint in the area has peeled out, and metal is now exposed out. So, the car is certainly going to the workshop over this weekend for repairs.

Is there anything that I can do for the rusting of the front door - which occured due to mishandling by the earlier workshop.
Binaiks, you have nothing to worry and you have done nothing wrong till now. Fiat gaurantees for a rust free body and paint over the entire warranty period, so first send a detailed mail to 'service@fiapl.com' and wait for the response. In the mail, be polite but still explain clearly that you are very unhappy with what you have experienced during the entire episode and that your car was delivered after a long delay without a proper fix to what it was sent for. The service station will be intimated by Fiat and your car will get its deserved treatment. Also, don't hesitate to go and talk to the Service manager in the service station if you are not satisfied with their responses.

Keep us updated. Will be happy to help.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 16:08   #3432
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 615
Thanked: 486 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Just a bit OT here, I think the paint quality on the Punto in any shade is better than almost any hatchback you see on Indian roads. The Red and Tuscan wine colour especially stand out from other hatches with similar shades..
Very true! Compare the Foxtro Azure Blue of a Linea with that of a Manza, you 'll understand the stark difference. Both the colors are almost the same, but the way the paint job has been done shows the difference between a Tata job and a Fiat job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
why does not the newer PUNTO's have rear stabilization bar, even the 90bhp does not have. can i procure it from FIAT service/spares. seriously thinking about 90bhp version..
Fiat has removed it for unknown reasons. Since it weighed a lot(after it was removed, the weight went down by 60kgs), Fiat might have thought that they could compromise it for some better fuel efficiency and acceleration. But still the exact reason is unknown. I also think they would have done some workaround to take care of the car's handling around corners. Again, it's difficult to check. Unless you talk to someone in Fiat who is willing to share the info, you are not going to find the answer. Guess, the stabilization bar could be picked up from the A.S.S and fitted on to the car. Send a mail to service@fiapl.com to get further details.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 9th June 2011 at 16:29.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 17:02   #3433
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Fiat has removed it for unknown reasons. Since it weighed a lot(after it was removed, the weight went down by 60kgs), Fiat might have thought that they could compromise it for some better fuel efficiency and acceleration.
I am sorry, but a 60kg stabiliser bar!!! It should be more like 10-15kgs. Also, if you check the brochures, no version of the Punto has lost 60kgs in weight for the 2011model, compared to the '09 model.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 17:15   #3434
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 615
Thanked: 486 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I am sorry, but a 60kg stabiliser bar!!! It should be more like 10-15kgs. Also, if you check the brochures, no version of the Punto has lost 60kgs in weight for the 2011model, compared to the '09 model.
I think this thread should clear the air.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...w-lighter.html (Punto loses some weight, It's now lighter.)
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 18:30   #3435
BHPian
 
vshetty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bang-ville
Posts: 43
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Jai - the T.Wine Punto 1.3 MJD Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Got my T-Wine Punto 1.3 Active delivered on May 27th, and touchwood, I am very happy with the car. The car (christened Jai - took inspiration from Amithabs name in Sholay) have already crossed 1K during last weekend, and I will open a thread after I rake up some more miles.

The decision to get the Punto was very easy - the only other car I wanted to consider was Cedia .......... :

Congratulations expertHand and welcome to the Punter's club, these cars are build to last and enjoy those long drives you will invariably do !!

I would recommend you slip out those Garware's and go in for V-Kool, because the amount you spend getting those great heat reducing films, you will save much more in the long-run by the reduced usage of A/C.
vshetty is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 227 4th April 2016 13:49
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks