Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 18:08   #3466
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,881
Thanked: 4,305 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Just go for repair...seeing your car's dent location, luckily for you, the sharp edge is actually not so sharp there.
I feel they can match it.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 18:46   #3467
BHPian
 
motor spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Just go for repair...seeing your car's dent location, luckily for you, the sharp edge is actually not so sharp there.
I feel they can match it.
I hope so hemanth.i also thought of the same , was only concerned about the sharp profile.let me try my luck then

Do you think approx 2500 inclusive of 10.3% service tax is ok
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:06   #3468
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,278
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

@motor spirit: If you are getting the repair done, why don't you check out some other shops like Sai Colorium etc - I have seen the work done on my friends indica and his BIL's Santro from a place at bannerghetta road - the work was good, and according to him, the price was much lesser than what quoted by the service center.

The damage looks repairable and do look for options other than service center.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:32   #3469
BHPian
 
samsan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 400
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
Do you think approx 2500 inclusive of 10.3% service tax is ok
Since bumper is fibre there will have to paint the entire thing, but if its not a big damage getting it repaired may be a better option. But claiming insurance is always an option, look at the most economical option.

At times we think saving no claim bonus will make sense, but the remaining period of the year the insurance is valid and you never know what all dents and scratches you will incur even after not claiming insurance and spending from your pocket for a jugaad fix or repair on the current incident.

And obviously when a new incident happens, you can't club together an old incident. And you still end up with the same decision once more trying to think should i spent again from my pocket or claim insurance.

If you end up having 3 to 4 incidents in that year, rather it would have made more sense to claim insurance at the very first incident.
samsan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 19:51   #3470
BHPian
 
motor spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@motor spirit: If you are getting the repair done, why don't you check out some other shops like Sai Colorium etc - I have seen the work done on my friends indica and his BIL's Santro from a place at bannerghetta road - the work was good, and according to him, the price was much lesser than what quoted by the service center.

The damage looks repairable and do look for options other than service center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Since bumper is fibre there will have to paint the entire thing, but if its not a big damage getting it repaired may be a better option. But claiming insurance is always an option, look at the most economical option.

At times we think saving no claim bonus will make sense, but the remaining period of the year the insurance is valid and you never know what all dents and scratches you will incur even after not claiming insurance and spending from your pocket for a jugaad fix or repair on the current incident.

And obviously when a new incident happens, you can't club together an old incident. And you still end up with the same decision once more trying to think should i spent again from my pocket or claim insurance.

If you end up having 3 to 4 incidents in that year, rather it would have made more sense to claim insurance at the very first incident.
@theexperthand , makes sense.let me check on that if i can get it done at sai

@samsan , very sensible thought. just one thing . u said " you can't club together an old incident " take that after getting this repaired , by some bad fate i get my bumper dent again. next what happens? if i have to claim insurance . will the insurance fellow take the depriciated cost of the bumper along with the first incidence into account.
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 21:40   #3471
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,881
Thanked: 4,305 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
@samsan , very sensible thought. just one thing . u said " you can't club together an old incident " take that after getting this repaired , by some bad fate i get my bumper dent again. next what happens? if i have to claim insurance . will the insurance fellow take the depriciated cost of the bumper along with the first incidence into account.
What samsan02 meant was, if by chance your car gets damaged once more...again you might think about saving the NCB (no claim bonus) and pay from your pocket.
So in an year, if you end up paying from your pocket say 3 times to save NCB, you would've spent more than what you save.
He meant that it would be better to loose the NCB at the first instance itself than at some later stages.
He meant that the insurance company will only approve the latest damage and not any previous damages.

I have heard a lot about Sai colorium, Just have a check there as theexperthand has suggested.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:52   #3472
BHPian
 
samsan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 400
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
What samsan02 meant was, if by chance your car gets damaged once more...again you might think about saving the NCB (no claim bonus) and pay from your pocket.
So in an year, if you end up paying from your pocket say 3 times to save NCB, you would've spent more than what you save.
He meant that it would be better to loose the NCB at the first instance itself than at some later stages.
He meant that the insurance company will only approve the latest damage and not any previous damages.

I have heard a lot about Sai colorium, Just have a check there as theexperthand has suggested.
Thanks Hemanth, you did the explaining for me

And yes @Motorspirit If you decide not to claim an old incident like a scratch or a dent and later another one happens, when you decide to claim this one. Then you cannot say that both incidents happened together or can't say that can you include that one as well. Its like cheating the insurance.

Infact every other day if you end up having incidents you have the right to make the claim at every incident, the insurance company is still obliged to settle all of them, ofcourse there will be terms and conditions as per the policy document.
samsan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:19   #3473
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,278
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Its like cheating the insurance.
I would like to disagree about the cheating insurance part. Weather we claim one or multiple instances, the insurance company is obliged to settled the claims. So, I do not see any issues in clubbing a previous dent with a new one, since if you would have claimed separately, they would have settled it any way.

But not claiming a dent to save the NCB and then clubbing it with another new dent after claiming NCB is like cheating the insurance.

As long as you club all the claims in one year, I do not think it will make any difference but might save you some paper work and hassle of running around every time behind the insurance guys.

I never had chance to claim insurance on any of my bikes or cars, touchwood. If i need to claim, I am all for not claiming the insurance in the first instance and claiming only if I had subsequent instances, and if I do that, I prefer to club what all happenes in same year.

Last edited by theexperthand : 23rd June 2011 at 16:21.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:55   #3474
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,697
Thanked: 773 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If i need to claim, I am all for not claiming the insurance in the first instance and claiming only if I had subsequent instances, and if I do that, I prefer to club what all happenes in same year.
I don't think that is possible. I remember an Insurance agent saying that Insurance claims should be made within x days of the incident. Its not that you can have an accident in January, and claim it only after the next accident.

And, you can claim only one incident at one go, unless the incidents are related to each other. That is, you have an accident, and while moving the vehicle from the spot, you have another accident, you can claim them together. In Kerala, they are asking for police reports in such cases.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:50   #3475
BHPian
 
motor spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

thanks for your suggestions friends . I have opted to get it repaired . The estimation is approx 1800 . jus left the car at concorde Mysore road . they assured of doing their best to rectify it. they say painting is not required. However if there is any small black spots they will get the paint touch up done. Im hoping that it comes out well.

Promised to give it by tomorrow evening . Will surely post the before/after pics and keep you guys updated
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 17:30   #3476
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,278
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I don't think that is possible. I remember an Insurance agent saying that Insurance claims should be made within x days of the incident. Its not that you can have an accident in January, and claim it only after the next accident.
Well, I was not exactly saying that I can club 2 separate incidents like that.

Suppose my fender got damaged in one accident, and I left it like that. Now imagine that one of my doors got damaged during a separate incident after few months. I was saying of clubbing the damage of door and fender by reporting that a biker rammed into my door and I hit the car\bus in front and damaged both door and fender, but I could not file a case since the biker did not stop and I failed to notice the bike registration number

Well, this might not work in every case, and you do need to have good rappo with service center guys.

Edit: This idea was given by a SA in Honda two wheeler service center, and though the prospect was appealing, I opted for paying from my pocket because I wanted my bike back on the very next day.

Last edited by theexperthand : 24th June 2011 at 17:33.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 17:27   #3477
BHPian
 
motor spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 188
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

finally my car is back from concorde . okey they have done fairly a good job. just posting a before after pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-12062011001.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-26062011003.jpg  

motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:38   #3478
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Noticed something yesterday night in our Punto, and to me it was a bit strange.

When the car is parked, ie the key is in "off" position and parking lights have been switched on, the indicator switch functions in a strange way. If you push the indicator towards the up position, ie for the right indicator, the left parking lights go off. Similarly with the right indicator switch, the left parking lights go off.

This happens only when the key is in the "off" position. Once the key is in the "on" position, the indicators start functioning normally and there is no switching off of the parking lights.

Is something wrong with the combination switch or is this normal?? If it is normal, why this strange functionality?? I have thought quite a bit about it, but am not able to come with any reason for this function.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:50   #3479
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 600
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Happens in my car as well. This enables only the lights towards the road to be kept on. You can also switch on the parking lights after you have removed the keys.
Palio_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 18:06   #3480
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,410
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
If it is normal, why this strange functionality?? I have thought quite a bit about it, but am not able to come with any reason for this function.
julupani, there is nothing wrong with your car!

Actually it is a feature and is very much present across all variants of Fiat Punto and Fiat Linea. I find this 'feature' to be very useful. Say, if I park on the left side of the road, I can switch ON the right side parking lights and vice versa. It saves battery and makes me happy too.

Strangely, the Fiat India chose not to mention 'this' feature anywhere in the user-manual or the brochure!
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 227 4th April 2016 13:49
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks