Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 4th August 2011, 12:18   #3586
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Is Fiat still doing the A/C retrofitting for the 1.2 Puntos ? I had asked the KHT Motors guys to do it during my last servicing but they didn't have the parts in stock. How is the experience of the guys who have got it done? Is it recommended to get it done or should i skip it ? For Bangalore weather, the A/c is sufficient but I think having a better A/c would be better when I visit AP or other hotter places.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 14:59   #3587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Is Fiat still doing the A/C retrofitting for the 1.2 Puntos ? I had asked the KHT Motors guys to do it during my last servicing but they didn't have the parts in stock. How is the experience of the guys who have got it done? Is it recommended to get it done or should i skip it ? For Bangalore weather, the A/c is sufficient but I think having a better A/c would be better when I visit AP or other hotter places.
I don't know if they are still doing that. But if they have told that they don't have stock, I assume they'll do it.
I have felt that the new AC on my 1.2 is a hundred times better than the earlier one.
I suggest you to get it done, don't skip.

BTW Bangalore summer is no better these days IMO.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 09:47   #3588
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place to post, Can anyone suggest where I can get the coolant for MJD Punto in Bangalore (and if any specific brand). I just noticed that it has come quite close to the min mark and I don't want to go all the way to their service station just to get this done.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 10:12   #3589
Senior - BHPian

FIAT recommends a 2:3 mixture of PARAFLU Ultra Protection coolant and distilled water. I dont think PARAFLU coolants are easily available in the market, but should be available at the service centre. You should be able to buy a bottle of coolant from them, but you have to take care of doing the mixing when refilling the coolant.

I think frequent use of defogger causes a decrease in the coolant level. If this is the case with you it would be advisable to keep a bottle of PARAFLU UP at home along with a measuring cylinder and checking the coolant level once a month.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 11:37   #3590
Senior - BHPian

My Punto gives a mild tak-tak sound from rear right side (and rarely from left side too) when I go over a bad patch of road. This sound is very different from the Thud I hear when I go over the speed breakers a bit fast.

I first thought it was causing by some loose articles in the boot, and to verify it, I removed everything from boot but the spare wheel and the sound is still very much there.

I hoisted the car and took a look under and it seems like the coil spring may be rubbing a hose next to it - but I am not really sure that is the matter.

Do any of you have experienced any sounds like this?

The sound was not there when I took the delivery of the car, and it was not there when I drove it from Kerala to Bangalore. I do not remember any special incident before the sound started coming - one day it started just like that.

I plan to take the car to service center to see what is wrong, but before that, I would like to hear inputs from any one who have any experience like this. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by theexperthand : 8th August 2011 at 11:40.
theexperthand is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 12:23   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
My Punto gives a mild tak-tak sound from rear right side (and rarely from left side too) when I go over a bad patch of road. This sound is very different from the Thud I hear when I go over the speed breakers a bit fast.

I first thought it was causing by some loose articles in the boot, and to verify it, I removed everything from boot but the spare wheel and the sound is still very much there.

I hoisted the car and took a look under and it seems like the coil spring may be rubbing a hose next to it - but I am not really sure that is the matter.

The sound was not there when I took the delivery of the car, and it was not there when I drove it from Kerala to Bangalore. I do not remember any special incident before the sound started coming - one day it started just like that.

I plan to take the car to service center to see what is wrong, but before that, I would like to hear inputs from any one who have any experience like this. Any feedback is much appreciated.

If you have an Active, and if you have the speakers fitted outside, it could be the tray causing the sound, or the rear quater panel gone bad. I had the same problem. But then, it could be something else too..
ahwajid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 12:33   #3592
Senior - BHPian

The Puntos rear parcel shelf has rubber dampers fit to them, so I doubt its the parcel tray. Even the older Puntos have had the rubber dampers fit to them during service.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 12:45   #3593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The Puntos rear parcel shelf has rubber dampers fit to them, so I doubt its the parcel tray. Even the older Puntos have had the rubber dampers fit to them during service.
Its not the parcel tray itself. But due to weight of the speakers, the whole panel came off.. (atleast for my car)
ahwajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:02   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you exceed the weight limit a lot, it will come off, but that would cause a lot more than a sound. The Punto parcel shelf wasnt made for attaching speakers anyway.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:20   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand

It could be due to loose link rod, please get it tightened at TASS.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:30   #3596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I would like to hear inputs from any one who have any experience like this. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Thats the rear anti roll bar working hard to keep the wheel down - nothing to worry about - Try going over the same road and same bump slowly and the noise will NOT come!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:38   #3597
BHPian

Guys the driver side door lever (the interior one) seems to have gotten a bit loose on my 4 month old 1.2 Punto emotion. Can this be replaced free of cost under warranty? Also my rear right speaker which comes with OEM sound system on Emotion variant has been jarring since delivery at volumes above 6 even with the lowest bass setting. Can this also be replaced under warranty?

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:48   #3598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thats the rear anti roll bar working hard to keep the wheel down - nothing to worry about - Try going over the same road and same bump slowly and the noise will NOT come!
Unfortunately this is not the case. The Punto lost its rear anti-roll bar after the mid 2010 changes, thus only the early Puntos have it. theexperthand got his Punto only a few months back I think, thus his car has no rear anti-roll bar.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 14:31   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Well, if you exceed the weight limit a lot, it will come off, but that would cause a lot more than a sound. The Punto parcel shelf wasnt made for attaching speakers anyway.
The parcel tray is an after market addition to add the speakers. I was just suggesting so that theexperthand can check that in his case, if you have installed speakers (since its an "active"). If not, you can ignore my suggestion. Also, @theexperthand: how much did the central locking cost?

Last edited by ahwajid : 15th August 2011 at 14:35. Reason: assumed julupani was having the problem
ahwajid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 19:27   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid View Post
If you have an Active, and if you have the speakers fitted outside, it could be the tray causing the sound, or the rear quater panel gone bad. I had the same problem. But then, it could be something else too..
I am yet to ICE the car, so I can safely rule out the speaker\rear parcel tray rattle. More than that, the sound is coming from below, So I think this might be the link rod issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
It could be due to loose link rod, please get it tightened at TASS.
After some more elimination process, I too feel the sound might be from tie road. I have fixed an appointment with TASS for this Wednesday - let us see what they come up with,

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thanks headers, but my car sadly do not have the anti-roll bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid View Post
The parcel tray is an after market addition to add the speakers. I was just suggesting so that theexperthand can check that in his case, if you have installed speakers (since its an "active"). If not, you can ignore my suggestion. Also, @theexperthand: how much did the central locking cost?
The central locking cost me 8490 rs. Prerana motors did not charge any installation\labor charge from me.

Quote:
Unfortunately this is not the case. The Punto lost its rear anti-roll bar after the mid 2010 changes, thus only the early Puntos have it. theexperthand got his Punto only a few months back I think, thus his car has no rear anti-roll bar.
Thanks Jalupani - As you said, my Punto also do not have the anti-roll bar.

Going to Prerana kudulu gate service center this Wednesday - hope they will be able to pin point the issue and solve it. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Guys the driver side door lever (the interior one) seems to have gotten a bit loose on my 4 month old 1.2 Punto emotion. Can this be replaced free of cost under warranty? Also my rear right speaker which comes with OEM sound system on Emotion variant has been jarring since delivery at volumes above 6 even with the lowest bass setting. Can this also be replaced under warranty?

Cheers,
Kaushik

Yes, you can get the door lever checked and if necessary, get it replaced under warranty. I have got some issues with left side rear door opening lever (the door is not opening from inside) and TASS have asked us to get the car tomorrow to get it fixed.

Last edited by theexperthand : 15th August 2011 at 19:31.
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote