Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 13:41   #5221
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
AC drain pipe is the culprit.

I had the same problem and it happened a week after I bought the car. There is a design flaw and it seems quite a few number of people have faced this issue.
SIR - IT IS IMPROPER PDI not design flaw
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 16:48   #5222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 172
Thanked: 46 Times
Question Turning Radius

Hi Guys,

After using (flogging!) my Indica Xeta for 5.5 years and 49K kms of trouble free experience, I plan to upgrade to a premium hatch. Fiat Punto Diesel Emotion is topping the shortlist with i20 CRDi Sportz close behind.

My question here is about Punto's turning radius. My Parking is a bit tight squeeze and hence this question! I had read (and my cousin who owns a Punto since 2009) tells me that the turning radius is 5.4 meters. However, when I look at 2012 Punto Brochure, it shows me a turning radius of 5 meters.

So, has the turning radius improved in 2012 Punto?

Last edited by dmplog : 27th August 2012 at 16:49. Reason: grammatical mistake corrected
dmplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 16:54   #5223
BHPian
 
prashant316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Turning Radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Hi Guys,

After using (flogging!) my Indica Xeta for 5.5 years and 49K kms of trouble free experience, I plan to upgrade to a premium hatch. Fiat Punto Diesel Emotion is topping the shortlist with i20 CRDi Sportz close behind.

My question here is about Punto's turning radius. My Parking is a bit tight squeeze and hence this question! I had read (and my cousin who owns a Punto since 2009) tells me that the turning radius is 5.4 meters. However, when I look at 2012 Punto Brochure, it shows me a turning radius of 5 meters.

So, has the turning radius improved in 2012 Punto?
Yes, the turning radius of punto 2012 has been reduced. Also, the GC has been increased and a few more tweaks have been done.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 16:58   #5224
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 172
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Turning Radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Yes, the turning radius of punto 2012 has been reduced. Also, the GC has been increased and a few more tweaks have been done.
@prashant - Thanks.
Are you sure about the GC? Because, the brochure mentions that increased GC of 195 mm is only applicable to "1.2 FIRE Petrol" car. All other variants have 185mm GC.
dmplog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 17:03   #5225
BHPian
 
prashant316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Turning Radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
@prashant - Thanks.
Are you sure about the GC? Because, the brochure mentions that increased GC of 195 mm is only applicable to "1.2 FIRE Petrol" car. All other variants have 185mm GC.
Yes, the earlier car had an even lower GC of 175 or 165mm. Cant recall the exact number. And yes, the 1.2 Fire is higher than its brothers.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 17:44   #5226
BHPian
 
one-77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Thrissur
Posts: 357
Thanked: 198 Times
Thumbs down Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
Here I need some help from the Diesel Punto experts.

I am looking for a used Diesel Punto in Delhi. I came across this 2009 model emotion run 40000 kms.

Looking at the car I noticed a few things:-
  • The driver door did not close in 3 stages, but was infact loosely opening
  • the right fender was repainted, the owner told me it was hit by another car and it needed to be re painted
  • when i pulled the bonet lever, it came out
  • the lever to open the glove box was missing
  • few scratches here and there
  • it had aftermarket alloys and tyres
  • servicing was NOT done from fiat
  • while turning off the car, it viberated like crazy. Like the old tata 207
  • Even the seat height adjustment lever felt clumsy, dint take much rick fearing that would also come off
  • I felt the meter was tampered with looking at the condition of the footmats, the way the door opened and closed
  • I found the ownership pattern to be a little confusing
now my questions are:-
  1. Is there a way to figure out if the meter has been tampered with? Can Fiat service centre run a diagnostics and find out?
  2. The vibration while turning off this car normal?
  3. Is it possible to replace the drivers seat and the glove box?
  4. Any other specifics I should look for in the car before closing the deal?
  5. Is it worth 3.5 lacs that the owner is asking for?
Not an expert, but I'll try to answer some of those.

1. The odometer can be reset, but I don't think it can be "tampered with" in other ways. But since the car hasn't been serviced with Tata-Fiat, it will be near impossible to find out.
2. No, something is at fault.
3. Yes
4. Do not buy this car at all, will be my advise. You can find much better examples in the market.
5. No, not for the terrible condition the car is in.

And about the driver side door not closing properly and the repainted fender, I think the car took a bad impact in its front right side in some accident that wasn't repaired properly.
Also the aftermarket alloys will be troublesome if they are not 98 pcd. My guess is they are not. The car will be very unstable and shaky at highway speeds.

Please do not buy this car!
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 18:19   #5227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
SIR - IT IS IMPROPER PDI not design flaw
you must be a hawk to spot it in the PDI

Then how come it only appeared after about a week or so in my car when I took it for a long drive and in some cases that I have come across after a couple of months for other owners.

I should be an expert who knows in and out of a car to spot this in the PDI.

I did a PDI based on what is available in this forum ( I spent a day in the stock yard with my car) but could not nail this problem.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 06:30   #5228
mo1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Turning Radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Hi Guys,

After using (flogging!) my Indica Xeta for 5.5 years and 49K kms of trouble free experience, I plan to upgrade to a premium hatch. Fiat Punto Diesel Emotion is topping the shortlist with i20 CRDi Sportz close behind.
Hi @dmplog,
My case was exactly same. I owned an Indica XETA for 5.5 years and 45K. Sold it to Pandit Auto and bought Punto Diesel Emotion in Oct-11. So far, it has been a great experience! Also, if you are used to Indica turning radius, then you will not find any issue with 2012 Punto.
mo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 08:57   #5229
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
you must be a hawk to spot it in the PDI

Then how come it only appeared after about a week or so in my car when I took it for a long drive and in some cases that I have come across after a couple of months for other owners.

I should be an expert who knows in and out of a car to spot this in the PDI.

I did a PDI based on what is available in this forum ( I spent a day in the stock yard with my car) but could not nail this problem.
If the AC pipe is not secured correctly / properly, it is bound to come off in some time.

And PDI is done by the dealer not the user IMHO

TBHP gives one a general guideline of checks not specific issues each vehicle or owner faces!

If I were you, I'd screw the dealer for such bad workmanship.

FYI, Our first Punto EP [Feb 2010] had non OE floor mats which the dealer claimed to be genuine. I knew I was cheated when I got the second punto EP [May 2010] from a different dealer. But the second dealer claimed there is no ashtray in the Emotion pack variant and I had to tell him it is very much a part of the car and OE. Later on, he gave me the piece.

The second Punto had the rear parcel tray bent etc which they claimed to replace under warranty [first service]. Took it to another dealer day 3 and got it replaced FOC.

The current overdose of information available on the net and the bad workmanship of some workshops make one gather a wrong opinion about a vehicle, be it any make or model!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:09   #5230
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,697
Thanked: 773 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I have a unique problem in my 2009 MJD Emotion. When I turn on the ignition, the fuel gauge automatically drops down to "E". It later comes back to its position after the engine is running - often with a beep and message "Warning: Low Fuel" (even when the tank is full!). A warning lamp (Yellow coloured showing a "lock on the car") glows up (according to the manual, this indicates failure of engine immobiliser). At times, the display (MID) and warning lamps goes dead when the engine is cranking.

What could the problem be due to? I got a doubt if its a weak battery - any headers? (The cranking got a bit longer this morning as well) If its a weak battery, which brand is suggested?
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 10:52   #5231
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,913
Thanked: 3,474 Times
Default Re: Turning Radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
@prashant - Thanks.
Are you sure about the GC? Because, the brochure mentions that increased GC of 195 mm is only applicable to "1.2 FIRE Petrol" car. All other variants have 185mm GC.
To clarify your doubt - Only Punto 1.2 Fire Active comes with 195mm Ground clearance. All other variants come with 185mm GC. Turning radius of all 2012 Puntos is 5m, while it was 5.4m for the older 2011 Puntos.

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th August 2012 at 10:55.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 15:37   #5232
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I have a unique problem in my 2009 MJD Emotion. When I turn on the ignition, the fuel gauge automatically drops down to "E". It later comes back to its position after the engine is running - often with a beep and message "Warning: Low Fuel" (even when the tank is full!). A warning lamp (Yellow coloured showing a "lock on the car") glows up (according to the manual, this indicates failure of engine immobiliser). At times, the display (MID) and warning lamps goes dead when the engine is cranking.

What could the problem be due to? I got a doubt if its a weak battery - any headers? (The cranking got a bit longer this morning as well) If its a weak battery, which brand is suggested?

Could be the battery - That would be MY first suspect especially if you've been using once since 2009. Does it happen at every crank or only the morning first start?

If the answer is affirmative then it is the battery!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 15:42   #5233
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,697
Thanked: 773 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Could be the battery - That would be MY first suspect especially if you've been using once since 2009. Does it happen at every crank or only the morning first start?

If the answer is affirmative then it is the battery!
I noticed it while cranking on Sunday night, then again today morning. I really did not notice it yesterday. I'll keep a track of it in the coming days. Guess I'd get a load test done, as well.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 18:27   #5234
tud
BHPian
 
tud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 64
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Fellow Fiat fans,

Now that the rains have started in Chennai, I hear a 'creech' sound every time the wiper comes back to its resting position in my Punto.
Various instances - In the slowest speed
It takes about 15 - 20 wipes before I hear this sound.
In the intermediary speed
It takes about 5-6 wipes before I hear it. Everytime the wiper cleans the windshield and comes down there is a 'creech'.

Is this because of the wiper blade? They are less than a year old.
Or is because of something else?
tud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 19:05   #5235
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 233
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud
Everytime the wiper cleans the windshield and comes down there is a 'creech'.

Is this because of the wiper blade? They are less than a year old.
Time for you to change the wipers, do you park your car in direct sunlight daily? The wipers have gone bad.
nkg77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 227 4th April 2016 13:49
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks