Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 09:43   #526
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,520
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

@msharma... except for a couple more air bags and trimming of the front and rear bumper what exactly is different from the interntational Punto? You also have to keep in mind that Punto costs a lot more in Europe compared to India.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 09:54   #527
BHPian
 
msharma_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 262
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

what about the engine my good sir?
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:07   #528
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,520
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

@msharma... Internationally the Punto comes with the same engines only... 1.3 Mulitjet in two states of tune... VGT and FGT and the 1.4 Petrol.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:08   #529
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,703
Thanked: 3,744 Times
Default

This is what is going to be different in international punto
Attached Images
        
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:00   #530
BHPian
 
msharma_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 262
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@msharma... Internationally the Punto comes with the same engines only... 1.3 Mulitjet in two states of tune... VGT and FGT and the 1.4 Petrol.
If you could just go back to my intial post, that would clear my point hopefully.

and to address your question: isn't that a huge difference that effects the performance of the car drastically. GTO's review makes it clear that the car launched in india doesnot have the same performance level available internationally hence the main reason for buying this car is lost.

Europeons buy this car for its agility and it is a craze between amateur racers. Price difference is there because it is a popular vehicle with loads of features.

And you forgot about ABS and EBD which are not standard features in India unlike europe.

My point is that only difference between punto and other multijet cars is the features and when comes to VFM the other cars are miles ahead.

Last edited by msharma_79 : 3rd July 2009 at 11:06.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:49   #531
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,609
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Msharma, as E_T already mentioned the European G Punto with standard ABS and Air-bags costs more than the Indian version.

And the features available in G Punto has a cost factor attached to it, hence it is priced more than Palio, Vista etc.
Despite that, it is competitively priced against the likes of Swift, Ritz, i20 etc.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:50   #532
ashwinpak
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ABS and EBD are standard in UK variants because it is mandated by the law there. BTW, even Swift in UK comes with ABS standard in all variants. Yes, we didn't get the VGT here. FIAT is clear in what they are saying. FE first and performance next. If you need (more) performance, look elsewhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
If you could just go back to my intial post, that would clear my point hopefully.

and to address your question: isn't that a huge difference that effects the performance of the car drastically. GTO's review makes it clear that the car launched in india doesnot have the same performance level available internationally hence the main reason for buying this car is lost.

Europeons buy this car for its agility and it is a craze between amateur racers. Price difference is there because it is a popular vehicle with loads of features.

And you forgot about ABS and EBD which are not standard features in India unlike europe.

My point is that only difference between punto and other multijet cars is the features and when comes to VFM the other cars are miles ahead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:43   #533
BHPian
 
msharma_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 262
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Msharma, as E_T already mentioned the European G Punto with standard ABS and Air-bags costs more than the Indian version.

And the features available in G Punto has a cost factor attached to it, hence it is priced more than Palio, Vista etc.
Despite that, it is competitively priced against the likes of Swift, Ritz, i20 etc.
Well anyways ABS and EBD and Airbags are standard feature in Europe. even Indica has it in europe.

But it is not the punto it should be. it is just another multijet engine car. Hyundai and Suzuki are charging premium because of their network and Brand value and also the resale value of their models.

So I reiterate for the sake of reiterating only that it is not a VFM car. It is passion car.

Last edited by msharma_79 : 3rd July 2009 at 12:48.
msharma_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:10   #534
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 508
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Hyundai and Suzuki are charging premium because of their network and Brand value and also the resale value of their models.
Well, in case of Hyundai one agrees that they do charge premium, but I have never heard anyone accusing Maruti-Suzuki about overpricing their cars. In fact their low cost and lower maintenance costs are the main reasons why Maruti is omnipresent.
manish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:29   #535
BHPian
 
ntrack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 111
Thanked: Once
Default

VFM in a car is decided by the buyer. Hence, a person looking for space as a priority will find the Vista & also the Logan extremely VFM. For A.S.S. assurance it'll be the Maruti or Hyundai

However, for a car like Punto, for its
safety rating
proven robustness
stunning LOOKS
loads of equipment
good FE &
unparalleled high speed stability - in which you can literally yawn at speeds 140kmph+.....

.....I think the 'overpriced' tag is out of place.

Man, you just can't compare the driving pleasure of Punto to say a Ritz, Vista or even a Swift. Anyone with doubts, should drive these cars back to back & all questions will be answered!
ntrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:31   #536
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,520
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
If you could just go back to my intial post, that would clear my point hopefully.

and to address your question: isn't that a huge difference that effects the performance of the car drastically. GTO's review makes it clear that the car launched in india doesnot have the same performance level available internationally hence the main reason for buying this car is lost.
And which other car has? There isnt any point discussing about the performance because there are numerous factors that affect it. Which other car from the internation stable has the same performance as its foreign counterpart, in India?
We are loosing objectivity with the discussion here. Are you suggesting that since the performance isnt as good as it European counterpart, we should shun it? I am afraid then you wouldnt be able to buy any European car in India. There is more to a car than just straightline performance numbers. Ride and handling, stability and steering for me are more important and take paramount importance and this is where the Punto is so special along with looks and equipment for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Europeons buy this car for its agility and it is a craze between amateur racers. Price difference is there because it is a popular vehicle with loads of features.

And you forgot about ABS and EBD which are not standard features in India unlike europe.

My point is that only difference between punto and other multijet cars is the features and when comes to VFM the other cars are miles ahead.
And features dont constitute VFM? and what about ride and handling, the build quality? I would like to know at 4.85 Lakhs for the 1.3 MJD Active version which other car in your opinion is more VFM?
Why dont you compare the pricing of the Emotion pack version with equivalently specced European version? And whiel you are at it repeat the same excercize for i20 and Jazz.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:58   #537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 739
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Punto TV AD

All Punto fans, here's the TV ad for Punto.
I really like it.

neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:01   #538
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,309
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
the car launched in india doesnot have the same performance level available internationally hence the main reason for buying this car is lost.

Europeons buy this car for its agility and it is a craze between amateur racers. Price difference is there because it is a popular vehicle with loads of features.
You don't buy car here basis whether Europian buys it or not & why & at what price European buys, Do you?

I think one buys car here as an overall Package - if that Package includes his preferences/ features/ equipments/ safety etc which is what he wants/ prefers & then he compares with other cars whether they have those & at what Price & accordingly chooses the car as an overall package satisfying most of his preferences WHICH ARE AVAILABLE HERE TO HIM IN INDIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
So I reiterate for the sake of reiterating only that it is not a VFM car. It is passion car.
You are not wrong & neither the others wrong who are saying GP is VFM car. The difference is the "Goggles" worn by each thro' which they view the car. As mentioned above, people buy car as an overall package. And if Stunning Looks, that Deep Gloss in Color, Ride & Handling Qualities, Car's Highway Manners, Stability, Modern Equipments like B&M & others are also some of imp considerations for them, then they are not wrong in saying GP as VFM. ntrack post sums it up nicely.
And you're also not wrong becoz your "Goggles" view it as just another car & you don't give a damn about some of GP's superior features. So be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrack View Post
VFM in a car is decided by the buyer. Hence, a person looking for space as a priority will find the Vista & also the Logan extremely VFM. For A.S.S. assurance it'll be the Maruti or Hyundai

However, for a car like Punto, for its
safety rating
proven robustness
stunning LOOKS
loads of equipment
good FE &
unparalleled high speed stability - in which you can literally yawn at speeds 140kmph+.....

.....I think the 'overpriced' tag is out of place.

Man, you just can't compare the driving pleasure of Punto to say a Ritz, Vista or even a Swift. Anyone with doubts, should drive these cars back to back & all questions will be answered!
Quote:
My point is that only difference between punto and other multijet cars is the features and when comes to VFM the other cars are miles ahead.
Again, if I look at it from a specific "Goggles" which views a Car is a Car is a Car with 4 wheels to take me from Point A to Point B, than With those "Goggles", for me even Nano would be enough & a VFM & no other car would come to her on a scale of VFM.

Having said that, Indica Vista is a lovely, well engineered car. The fact that it'll continue to sell alongwith GP shows that individuals wear different "Goggles"
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:30   #539
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,512
Thanked: 734 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I do not mean to be rude, but let me point out that my observation was a general one applicable to any car of any brand where the reviewer pushes the seat all the way back. Therefore not confined to Fiat.

I have noticed that most cars have front seats that travel a long way fore and aft. If pushed fully to the back, the rear seat is pretty much useless. Likewise, if pushed fully to the front, the front seat is quite useless.

Cheers,
Just to ponder...

When you see the car diagram in a auto magazine and they specify the rear legroom and front legroom, they show both the figures at a given arrangement at the that instant.

They don't push the front seat all the way back and measure rear leg room. Likewise, they dont measure front legroom by pushing the front seat all the way forward.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:32   #540
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,914
Thanked: 15,583 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Just to ponder...

When you see the car diagram in a auto magazine and they specify the rear legroom and front legroom, they show both the figures at a given arrangement at the that instant.

They don't push the front seat all the way back and measure rear leg room. Likewise, they dont measure front legroom by pushing the front seat all the way forward.
Wrong.
Whenever legroom info is given, its always max and min
Max Front legroom is measured with front seat fully back and max rear legroom is measured with front seat fully forward. This config also gives the min front legroom.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 230 3rd June 2017 11:06
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks