Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd November 2012, 19:31   #5401
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
There was already a functioning TATA/FIAT SC run by Oberoi in Sec 63. I got my Punto serviced there 3 months back. Are you talking of the same building or have you seen an entirely different building for a dealership? Heard a rumour once, that the SC I am referring to, would become exclusive for FIAT.

Then there is Dynamic Auto as well, not too far, again in sec 63. It is also a good place for Fiats, esp. earlier generations. God knows what the owner of this place has in mind.
I have no idea. i am not affiliated with them in anyway. To put it clearly, i am just another data center professional Out there trying to make a living. what ever i put out in there was as per my conversation with Sales Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Most of the sales that are happening for FIAT is either through referrals or exchange/upgrade. Very few would be first time buyers.
Agree completely. At least i am responsible for 3 sales of Punto (including mine ) in my office and about to give them One more sale. Wish fiat starts giving me some incentive for helping their defunct sales and marketing division. I just prey to god that it doesn't backfire One day on me .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 3rd November 2012 at 19:32.
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:17   #5402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar
Agree completely. At least i am responsible for 3 sales of Punto (including mine ) in my office and about to give them One more sale. Wish fiat starts giving me some incentive for helping their defunct sales and marketing division. I just prey to god that it doesn't backfire One day on me .
Fiat did actually have a "referral programme" that could get owners some gifts (gps device etc) if they brought another into the fold. They hadn't advertised it, so only a few knew about it. Don't know if it still exists. You might want to find out.
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 18:40   #5403
BHPian

@.sushilkumar
dear friend you have done great job promoting arguably the best hatchback in its range in India .I am also instrumental in atleast two fiats purchases -One being my fiat punto another my friends palio.Though poor service makes me regret my decision but the moment i am onto wheels all the queries and worries are blown away ,its like falling in love all over again and again .
On serious note FIAT is in for some serious organisational rejig and pins its expansion plans on India and China -so they cant just shut their shops and go away as some people often suggest.
regards
praveen
blueblooded is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 20:12   #5404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
@.sushilkumar
dear friend you have done great job promoting arguably the best hatchback in its range in India .
=====
On serious note FIAT is in for some serious organisational rejig and pins its expansion plans on India and China -so they cant just shut their shops and go away as some people often suggest.
regards
praveen
I too have referred 2 palios, a punto and a linea to my friends. All of them are very happy about their possessions. But all including me are very concerned about fiats future in India seeing the dwindling sales numbers. Keeping fingers crossed and hoping the best.
Arkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 01:53   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
@.sushilkumar
regards
praveen
I hope this is true. I have a Punto and pretty happy with it and I plan to upgrade to a Linea this December. My main concern is about FIAT closing it's shop looking at the dismal sales. I am not sure if I should go ahead with Linea or look for something else.
daredeviljpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 09:21   #5406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredeviljpr View Post
I hope this is true. I have a Punto and pretty happy with it and I plan to upgrade to a Linea this December. My main concern is about FIAT closing it's shop looking at the dismal sales. I am not sure if I should go ahead with Linea or look for something else.
+10, I am in a similar state and actually dont know if there is a car that handles as well and gives you the comfort of the Punto.

Somehow, the other contenders like Vento - I dislike the facia, Rapid - No Skoda for me, Verna - I am confused about the vehicle.

And I LOVE DOHC Diesels - The dampener is the 200mm GC that I look for with the driving comfort, as i ought to do average 200 kms daily!

The new Linea has 185 and I am tilting towards it. My 165mm GC Punto has done 60K and have bottomed several times and replaced the sump guard twice - The vehicle is a tank with NO RATTLES and i just love it!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 11:12   #5407
Senior - BHPian

A friend is experiencing black smoke (more than normal) from the exhaust, and a minor decrease in power/acceleration. This has been noticed for a few weeks now. Car in discussion is a Punto 90 BHP 1+ year old vehicle that has done around 16k kms.

Should he be concerned?
ninjatalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 11:22   #5408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A friend is experiencing black smoke (more than normal) from the exhaust, and a minor decrease in power/acceleration. This has been noticed for a few weeks now. Car in discussion is a Punto 90 BHP 1+ year old vehicle that has done around 16k kms.

Should he be concerned?
Could be a clogged air filter. Tell him to check if there is there any indication on the air filter body (red/green mark), which may indicate a clogged filter. Any reduction in air supply to the cylinders, would result in unburnt fuel being exhausted. That is the reason for reduced power & black smoke.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 12:12   #5409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Should he be concerned?
Black smoke from a diesel engine should generally be not worrying.

Cool operating tempertures is a factor for increased black smoke.
Considering the temperatures in the copuntry have gone down recently, it may be a contributor.

But if the power reduced is substantial, air filter might be the culprit resulting in a richer mixture.
Since you are saying that it is 1yr/16k kms, its due for a service...has it been serviced?
if not, then the sir filter change during the servie should sort this.

But if service is completed...you never know, the TATA service guys might have forgotten to replace the air filter!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 12:34   #5410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
But if service is completed...you never know, the TATA service guys might have forgotten to replace the air filter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Could be a clogged air filter.
Thanks guys. Have passed on the points to him. As for the servicing, I believe it's done recently. Will update once he does a check-up.
ninjatalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 18:13   #5411
BHPian

Quote:

Should he be concerned?
It could be due to some problem related to turbocharger. Ask your friend to get it checked. i have come across 2 puntos with turbocharger related issues.
My punto too had a leaking intercooler hose and i got it replaced.
Arkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 19:21   #5412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

Should he be concerned?
Had the same problem in my Linea earlier this year. Turned out to be a leak in the rubber pipe connecting the turbo and the inter-cooler (if I remember right). It seems to be a known issue with the MJD as a Punto 90HP came in with the same issue while my car was being repaired. Anyway it can be diagnosed quickly and repaired in an hour IF the part is in stock.
Other things you should look into are the turbo and the EGR valve, besides clogged air or diesel filters.
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 23:18   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The new Linea has 185 and I am tilting towards it. My 165mm GC Punto has done 60K and have bottomed several times and replaced the sump guard twice - The vehicle is a tank with NO RATTLES and i just love it!
Most probably I may take the risk and purchase the Linea. For me Linea has become the benchmark and no other car in the same price range provides the comfort and features. Regarding FIAT A.S.S I am satisfied, they may have taken time to resolve some of the issues but have put in enough efforts to identify and resolve them. FIAT A.S.S do not hesitate to replace the suspected part in the warranty and part availability has been satisactory.

Let's see if something/someone in a month can change my mind not to purchase a Linea/.
daredeviljpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 12:08   #5414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredeviljpr View Post
Most probably I may take the risk and purchase the Linea. For me Linea has become the benchmark and no other car in the same price range provides the comfort and features. Regarding FIAT A.S.S I am satisfied, they may have taken time to resolve some of the issues but have put in enough efforts to identify and resolve them. FIAT A.S.S do not hesitate to replace the suspected part in the warranty and part availability has been satisactory.

Let's see if something/someone in a month can change my mind not to purchase a Linea/.
Hi being a linea owner I would say it is better that you do not take the risk.
If you have decided then I will not try and change your mind

After 2 years I am not able to sell of my Linea E+ MJD at 5L in Kerala. My Figo had buyers at 4.5L. large depreciation on the Linea don't you think ??

All the best.
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 13:28   #5415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Hi being a linea owner I would say it is better that you do not take the risk.
If you have decided then I will not try and change your mind

After 2 years I am not able to sell of my Linea E+ MJD at 5L in Kerala. My Figo had buyers at 4.5L. large depreciation on the Linea don't you think ??

All the best.
Resale value can be based on a lot of factors how the car is used, the odo reading, no of owners, accidents (if any) etc. Nothing to quote against your car. Just a thing I wanted to bring about.

A punto emotion pack with 75K on the odo with a couple of minor accidents went for 4.5 lacs (bought for 7.35 lacs when new) in Bangalore. A decent resale value.

I put my money on Linea knowing that I will get lesser than the competition, but everytime I drive it forget everything else

PS: If the intention to buy the car is to keep it for a year or two, please avoid buying FIAT you will lose money.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 7th November 2012 at 13:30.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote