Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 18th July 2013, 16:16   #5941
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Dear all,

Need some advise:
Difficult to diagnose by just reading about it. I will go to Oberoi next weekend to the get the oil changed (voluntary) in my Punto. Why don't you join me? We can spend some time in identifying the reasons for rattle/bumpiness in ride.

OT: You should change the speakers of your Punto and download some good songs. All these noises will fade.
Biraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 16:54   #5942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Why don't you join me?

Yeah will do that. I have an appointment for this Saturday as well. I am 100% sure, I still have to visit them next weekend. I blasted them during the feedback call and pronto...another appointment. But I am getting a bit tired now: it's like an extremely moody girlfriend these days. You keep on spending and not even a hug...! What the fun!

With all the waxing, ONR, and carefully controlled PSI, and rev limited driving: I might have as well abused the car! The results wouldn't have been grossly different!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 18th July 2013 at 16:56.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 18:04   #5943
BHPian

So after almost 4 happy years with my Punto 1.4 Petrol Emotion Pack, my greatest fear finally came true - sending my car for repairs to Fiat A.S.S :P

Jokes apart, here's my issue. I had been driving my Punto for the whole day today, no hassles at all ( the car is a chiller in this Delhi heat, courtesy long drawn battle with Fiat A.S.S, but thats old news). I parked my car, had lunch, got back and started the car. Pressed the clutch to engage the 1st gear and boom! clutch pedal stays depressed. I can pull it back up but if I press it again, it stays pressed down!

What could be the problem? Will I need to call the service folk nd get the car towed?
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 18:13   #5944
BHPian

Was the cars Clutch Slave Cylinder changed to metal from the plastic one's which can originally as part of CSC recall? If not then it could be the CSC.
teky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 18:56   #5945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
So after almost 4 happy years with my Punto 1.4 Petrol Emotion Pack, my greatest fear finally came true - sending my car for repairs to Fiat A.S.S :P

Jokes apart, here's my issue. I had been driving my Punto for the whole day today, no hassles at all ( the car is a chiller in this Delhi heat, courtesy long drawn battle with Fiat A.S.S, but thats old news). I parked my car, had lunch, got back and started the car. Pressed the clutch to engage the 1st gear and boom! clutch pedal stays depressed. I can pull it back up but if I press it again, it stays pressed down!

What could be the problem? Will I need to call the service folk nd get the car towed?
Same thing happened to me, but while driving!! I depressed the clutch to change into 2nd from first, and the clutch just would not come back up. Fortunately, I was unde 15kmph and nobody crashed into me, and a nearby passing PCR van came to help. A few policemen pushed it to the side of the road in a few minutes.

This was my first chance to try out the free RSA. Called up the help line, and after about 10mins, they said they are sending a tow truck. Truck arrived in 30mins, and got us to the service station in another 20mins.

Turned out a small rubber bushing/seal had ruptured somehow, and all the clutch fluid leaked out. Part was replaced in 30mins, and clutch fluid refilled. That along with a free wash and the car was back on the road in 2 hours. Total expenditure was about 500rs only.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 21:04   #5946
BHPian

Good to hear that. I was just wondering if the slave cylinder needs replacement, is it covered under extended warranty?

Mine is a 2009 Punto so no roadside warranty for me. Looks like I'll have to get it towed.
Old 24th July 2013, 23:08   #5947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear that. I was just wondering if the slave cylinder needs replacement, is it covered under extended warranty?
Mine is a 2009 Punto so no roadside warranty for me. Looks like I'll have to get it towed.
Yes, the clutch slave cylinder is covered in ext warranty. Same thing happened to my Linea and both brake fluid + slave cylinder were covered in warranty.

Had to pay towing charges though.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 24th July 2013 at 23:10.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 15:55   #5948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teky View Post
Was the cars Clutch Slave Cylinder changed to metal from the plastic one's which can originally as part of CSC recall? If not then it could be the CSC.
Yes. You've hit the nail on the head. It's being changed now. Does it come under external warranty?
Old 25th July 2013, 19:38   #5949
BHPian

Pardon me. I didn't read the above replies.

So the cylinder was replaced for free under extended warranty. Paid only Rs 111 towards break fluid top up. So all's well that ends well.

P.S - Just wondering how the car will hold up, now that my extended warranty is slated to expire in September. Let's see, Airconditioning kit upgrade, radiator fan replacement, O rings replacement, and now slave cylinder. So the warranty saved me quite some cash. Let's hope the car holds up well from now on.

Some things still don't change though. My door beadings have been giving me trouble right from 2009. Tata folks always used to stick it back with some adhesive as they couldn't source the beading. And now, 3 months after I asked Fiat, they're unable to source the same.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 21:26   #5950
BHPian

Quote:

P.S - Just wondering how the car will hold up, now that my extended warranty is slated to expire in September. Let's see, Airconditioning kit upgrade, radiator fan replacement, O rings replacement, and now slave cylinder. So the warranty saved me quite some cash. Let's hope the car holds up well from now on.

Buona Sera...!!

This is exactly my point. I mean what after extended warranty? I guess it's the FNG route and hopefully deregulation of parts supplies! Till then, just drive safe, smooth: eat, drive, pray !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3187155

I had the same concerns here, sorry, but it's a fact! I am only more than optimistic that it holds up! You know, as if 4 years is the "BREAK" in period, beyond which everything stabilizes, and doesn't break! The car itself is just 4 years into the great Indian market, IMHO! The facts would start unfolding NOW onwards, and the true nature of the liberated FIAT ASS would become evident, as more and more Puntos start exhausting the extended warranty period. (Our 2013 friends get 5 years !)

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 25th July 2013 at 21:43. Reason: Cosmetic
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 11:20   #5951
BHPian

Guys,

I've got a query. The coil symbol (glow plug) is turning on during start ups. Sometimes it's blinks on till around 5-10 secs after cranking. Now I know that glow plug turns on during cold starts, but this happened in the evening.

Where's the problem? Is it an issue? Or can I ignore it. How soon should I visit the service center.
gp_fanatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 12:05   #5952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
The coil symbol (glow plug) is turning on during start ups. Sometimes it's blinks on till around 5-10 secs after cranking. Now I know that glow plug turns on during cold starts, but this happened in the evening. Where's the problem? Is it an issue? Or can I ignore it. How soon should I visit the service center.
As far as I know, the coil symbol glows at every start. Please see the green highlighted portion from the Grande Punto service manual.
If it blinks on for 60 seconds after engine starts, it indicates a fault and you need to contact service centre ASAP, says the manual. Refer the para marked in red
Name:  FiatSM1.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  144.0 KB
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 12:43   #5953
BHPian

Thanks sandsun7, But that is when we turn on the key and before crank up. What i am facing is the blinking coil after cranking for a few seconds.

This never happened. My car has clocked 60k kms. Battery is low and hence resulting in frequent airbag failure messages during start up. But is the glow plug warning also part of the low battery symptoms?
gp_fanatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 13:35   #5954
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sandsun7, But that is when we turn on the key and before crank up. What i am facing is the blinking coil after cranking for a few seconds.

This never happened. My car has clocked 60k kms. Battery is low and hence resulting in frequent airbag failure messages during start up. But is the glow plug warning also part of the low battery symptoms?
Spot on. It's time to change the battery. Glow plug heating consumes a lot of battery power and the manual states that the cranking should be done immediately after the sign goes out, to save battery.
carrerastrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 13:43   #5955
BHPian

Quote:
What i am facing is the blinking coil after cranking for a few seconds.
See the paragraph boxed in red in the image in my previous post. The text here:

Warning light will blink for 60 seconds after starting or during prolonged cranking to indicate a fault to the glow plug heating system. Use the car normally if the engine starts and go to a Fiat-Tata Dealership as soon as possible.

If this is the problem you are facing, visit the FASS ASAP. It could also be due to low battery, as carrerastrax mentioned.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote