Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 22:41   #6061
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,840
Thanked: 1,418 Times
Default Re: Engine oil colour? What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Your temperature needle staying put at the half way mark, means that the engine temperature is rising, Once the radiator fan starts the engine temperature & hence the needle should start dropping back from the half way mark.
This does not take place in the new Fiats. The engine temperature gauge stays stuck at the half point. Very rarely does it drop. When it drops, its like half a millimeter. You may not even notice it.

Previous generation Fiat's like the Sienna, Palio had a very dynamic meter. They would get really close to the Cold mark when you were out on the highway and keep fluctuating between cold mark and near mid way when you are in bumper to bumper traffic.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 03:42   #6062
BHPian
 
namit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 390
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Has anyone faced the twin warnings of the immobilizer(lock symbol around car) and a text warning on the MID saying ABS is not functional(not the exact message but something similar), the ABS warning happened only once, the immobilizer light is more frequent . My car is a Feb 2011 MJD Punto with about 51k on the odo.

The battery is not supposed to be in such great shape, I have a long trip coming up, can anyone explain the lock symbol?
I am too having this same issue of security symbol popping 90% of the times I drive and rarely abs failure warning
So is it the battery draining / aging out

Please let me know what did the fiat guys say after inspection
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 03:48   #6063
BHPian
 
namit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 390
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
This is a query about GP's suspension and ride quality. My GP is MJD 76HP, 2012 Jan model which has clocked 15,500km till date.

Talking about ride quality and suspension, require inputs as to how to diagnose issues in the same. Whenever i drive through rough patches and inverted speed bumps there is no way the car is absorbing the same and all that jerk and adjustments made by the suspension to stabilize the drive is passed on to the cabin making the drive uncomfortable along with the rattles that have creep ed up off late. I feel this problem is particular to the 2012 punto's where the GC was increased a bit there by making low speed ride not so good.(IMO).

I have not driven a Punto or a Linea back to back to compare the same. PL suggest what i need to get inspected from FIAT A.S.S. There are no squeaks or rattles when going on bumps as such.
Yes the new suspension with higher ground clearance in puntos, is much more stiffer

I have a 2010 punto with new suspension kit installed and post this change car does pass jerks in the cabin more than the older suspension but no cosmetic rattles though

Nothing to worry about
namit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 20:31   #6064
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 466
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post

Yes the new suspension with higher ground clearance in puntos, is much more stiffer

I have a 2010 punto with new suspension kit installed and post this change car does pass jerks in the cabin more than the older suspension but no cosmetic rattles though

Nothing to worry about
I think its not only stiffer but also a nuisance having 185mm on a hatchback...this was my 3rd test drive of the punto and the first on NICE road for about 25kms and literally got a headache with all the body roll etc...the top speed I was able to achieve was 140kmph, what with all the traffic...

My swift rides much much better on the same stretch with its 170mm GC and I use the same stretch to office daily...so I know what am talking about... my opinion, anything more than 175mm of GC on a hatchback or a sedan is a overkill...
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 22:58   #6065
BHPian
 
sriramr9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 203
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I think its not only stiffer but also a nuisance having 185mm on a hatchback...this was my 3rd test drive of the punto and the first on NICE road for about 25kms and literally got a headache with all the body roll etc...the top speed I was able to achieve was 140kmph, what with all the traffic...

My swift rides much much better on the same stretch with its 170mm GC and I use the same stretch to office daily...so I know what am talking about... my opinion, anything more than 175mm of GC on a hatchback or a sedan is a overkill...
Can you please elaborate on this, because i have not read anyone stating poor driving quality in punto because of the GC upgrade. I have done 140kph on pot hole ridden roads with 4 aboard and did not experience the above said body roll when over taking and driving on curves.

Normally swift is considered a rally car based design and less aerodynamic than punto.

Anyways awaiting details on your test drive experience.
sriramr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 00:30   #6066
BHPian
 
namit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 390
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

I think its not only stiffer but also a nuisance having 185mm on a hatchback...this was my 3rd test drive of the punto and the first on NICE road for about 25kms and literally got a headache with all the body roll etc...the top speed I was able to achieve was 140kmph, what with all the traffic...

My swift rides much much better on the same stretch with its 170mm GC and I use the same stretch to office daily...so I know what am talking about... my opinion, anything more than 175mm of GC on a hatchback or a sedan is a overkill...
Dude I said its stiffer than before and height increase has no relevance here nor is a nuisance as misleadingly pointed by you

Swift is no match to the punto and period ... To add further swift is second best indeed to only the fiat in question here

My opinion and maybe I would sound too blunt
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 11:21   #6067
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 466
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post

Can you please elaborate on this, because i have not read anyone stating poor driving quality in punto because of the GC upgrade. I have done 140kph on pot hole ridden roads with 4 aboard and did not experience the above said body roll when over taking and driving on curves.

Normally swift is considered a rally car based design and less aerodynamic than punto.

Anyways awaiting details on your test drive experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post

Dude I said its stiffer than before and height increase has no relevance here nor is a nuisance as misleadingly pointed by you

Swift is no match to the punto and period ... To add further swift is second best indeed to only the fiat in question here

My opinion and maybe I would sound too blunt
Am quoting based on my driving experiences on the same stretch of road which I use to commute daily and I felt the body roll on the punto is more compared to my swift. I never mentioned anything about the stiffer suspension being bad. The ride quality over bad roads is definitely better, but what am talking about is the body roll. Even I drove the vehicle at 140ks. The height increase definitely has relevance to body roll.

After this I immediately test drove the tjet and it felt much much better. Thats a different machine altogether anyways.

And mind you, am test driving all these vehicles to replace my swift and not for the fun of it. There can be a problem with the test drive car i dont know. These are my experiences and I stand by it. There is nothing for me to mislead here.

You being the owners can throw more light than trying to say am misleading people out here.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 16:10   #6068
BHPian
 
sriramr9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 203
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
You being the owners can throw more light than trying to say am misleading people out here.
Having driven 15800km, i have not faced any odd behavior at 140kph speeds with four on board. But one fact is, my colleague and a 2011 Punto owner (lesser GC model) who drove my car one a main road, felt that there was lesser speed masking compared to his model. But his was a 90hp version where as mine is a 75 hp version.

Even GC increased 2013 Linea's/T JET's were said to suffer when it came to handling department, but not much has been heard about from owners on that. May be a back to back test should reveal that, subtle differences will always be overlooked by drivers in general.

Also i feel the Punto and Linea share the same platform and are based out of the Opel Corsa's Chassis. Not really 100% sure whether a 10 mm GC should matter that much. I honestly agree to your unbiased comments on the driving feel but still like to hear more from what you had tested and how you expected and how it was ?

Last edited by sriramr9 : 20th October 2013 at 16:14.
sriramr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 21:30   #6069
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 466
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post

Having driven 15800km, i have not faced any odd behavior at 140kph speeds with four on board. But one fact is, my colleague and a 2011 Punto owner (lesser GC model) who drove my car one a main road, felt that there was lesser speed masking compared to his model. But his was a 90hp version where as mine is a 75 hp version.

Even GC increased 2013 Linea's/T JET's were said to suffer when it came to handling department, but not much has been heard about from owners on that. May be a back to back test should reveal that, subtle differences will always be overlooked by drivers in general.

Also i feel the Punto and Linea share the same platform and are based out of the Opel Corsa's Chassis. Not really 100% sure whether a 10 mm GC should matter that much. I honestly agree to your unbiased comments on the driving feel but still like to hear more from what you had tested and how you expected and how it was ?
To be very frank this was my 3rd test drive of the punto and this time I was determined to make it a longer one. I test drove it for more than 50kms on NICE road..so I guess thats a good measure. My experience was based on this test drive and I was disappointed. Am not even talking about the severe turbo lag it has. My only grouse was on the body roll and I was kind of ok with the other parameters.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 21:54   #6070
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,758
Thanked: 1,520 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
To be very frank this was my 3rd test drive of the punto and this time I was determined to make it a longer one. I test drove it for more than 50kms on NICE road..so I guess thats a good measure. My experience was based on this test drive and I was disappointed. Am not even talking about the severe turbo lag it has. My only grouse was on the body roll and I was kind of ok with the other parameters.
You can revert to pre 2012 suspension set up very easily
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 21:03   #6071
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I think its not only stiffer but also a nuisance having 185mm on a hatchback...this was my 3rd test drive of the punto and the first on NICE road for about 25kms and literally got a headache with all the body roll etc...the top speed I was able to achieve was 140kmph, what with all the traffic...

My swift rides much much better on the same stretch with its 170mm GC and I use the same stretch to office daily...so I know what am talking about... my opinion, anything more than 175mm of GC on a hatchback or a sedan is a overkill...
I have driven my Punto Sports for 20,500KM in the past 10 months and found it to be one of the best hatch in market.
I have never faced any body roll, in-fact this car hugs the road so well that I found it almost impossible to lose its line,.
Yes, am one of the many happy Punto drivers.
GrayBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 21:30   #6072
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 466
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post

I have driven my Punto Sports for 20,500KM in the past 10 months and found it to be one of the best hatch in market.
I have never faced any body roll, in-fact this car hugs the road so well that I found it almost impossible to lose its line,.
Yes, am one of the many happy Punto drivers.
Well let me elaborate, the very fact that I read all good things about the punto made take the test drives not once but thrice. I absolutely liked the build quality, the straight line stability, fantastic brakes, the nice door thud etc., but the only thing I couldnt come around was the body roll. I really felt dizzy after a high speed run of around 50kms during the test drive, havent felt this way in any other car. I drive a remapped approx 90bhp swift (104hp). My swift is like a rocket with almost nil turbo lag so am not even complaining about the turbo lag in punto. I know what the punto can do once remapped what with those fantastic traits it has. Body roll ? Hmm maybe its all in my mind..!!

Last edited by NFS2024 : 21st October 2013 at 21:43.
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:58   #6073
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
After this I immediately test drove the tjet and it felt much much better. Thats a different machine altogether anyways.
There is something odd. I say that because the new Tjets too have the same raised suspension. So if you felt the body roll to be too much in the Punto, you should feel the same in the Tjet. The only real difference between the two is the longer wheelbase and the larger tyres of the Tjet, but neither should have a major bearing on the body roll. In fact if you drove the Tjet with the larger tyres, the tyres add a further 5mm to the ride height themselves, which means the car sits even higher than a Punto.

And I agree, the body roll is more pronounced in the new suspension setup compared to the older setup. But its still nowhere near as being called scary or dizzy. I think its in your mind, as you are finding it very odd to accept a hatch with SUV like ground clearance and that thought keeps playing in your mind while driving.

I personally dont like the excess ride height, but not because it ruins the ride/handling, but because it messes with the superb looks.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:33   #6074
BHPian
 
gp_fanatico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 58
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

I personally dont like the excess ride height, but not because it ruins the ride/handling, but because it messes with the superb looks.
Apart for the ongoing debate, I personally want to go for a change in the suspension on my 60K+driven 2009 Punto. I drive mostly in the cities, more than 1200 Kms a month. What would you suggest (Based on driving comfort)? the GC upgrade or the older suspension setup?
gp_fanatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:23   #6075
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,603
Thanked: 810 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post

Apart for the ongoing debate, I personally want to go for a change in the suspension on my 60K+driven 2009 Punto. I drive mostly in the cities, more than 1200 Kms a month. What would you suggest (Based on driving comfort)? the GC upgrade or the older suspension setup?
Obviously the old. I am a guy who downgraded the 2012 75HP suspension to the old one paying from my pocket when car was 14k kms old. This decision I took after experiencing the stiff setup in this car while myself and bro exchanged cars.

If you want comfort and can afford to scrape the engine guard occasionally its the old setup with eyes closed.
DRIV3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Abarth Punto - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 228 18th May 2017 23:05
2014 Fiat Punto Evo - Test Drive & Review nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 95 5th May 2016 15:07
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks