Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 11:37   #961
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,025
Thanked: 896 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Test Drive & Review

I feel that there is a problem with turbo, as the problem starts around the RPM the turbo is supposed to come into play. I would say that the turbo is not able to do its job. The reasons could be as simple as a leak in the turbo plumbing, so that the air is leaking out. Get the plumbing checked for leaks.

It could also be a clogged Air filter. This would result both in higher FE and in lower top speed. Once in my Alto the air filter got wet and both the FE and top speed came down drastically.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 11:42   #962
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 1,332 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I see this phenomenon around 1700-1800 RPM. And then it is business as usual again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I feel that there is a problem with turbo, as the problem starts around the RPM the turbo is supposed to come into play
Fortuner's Turbo kicks in around 1400 RPM as far as I understand.
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 12:42   #963
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 341 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I feel that there is a problem with turbo, as the problem starts around the RPM the turbo is supposed to come into play. I would say that the turbo is not able to do its job. The reasons could be as simple as a leak in the turbo plumbing, so that the air is leaking out. Get the plumbing checked for leaks.

It could also be a clogged Air filter.
I wish it were so. Will take the car to ASS for investigating these two aspects, before we go against the Clutch.
However, if there is suction loss due to plumbing leak, Car should rev down not UP and loss of power should be felt. Shouldn't it be the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Fortuner's Turbo kicks in around 1400 RPM as far as I understand.
Agreed. But, I am seeing this jump in close neighborhood of the RPM. First, I want to rule out that turbo issues. Fixing clutch could be an expensive one as replacement is the only option.

Strangely, I am not seeing the issue today, after driving for 15km in traffic.
FORTified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 12:59   #964
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 1,332 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I wish it were so. Will take the car to ASS for investigating these two aspects, before we go against the Clutch.
However, if there is suction loss due to plumbing leak, Car should rev down not UP and loss of power should be felt. Shouldn't it be the case?


Agreed. But, I am seeing this jump in close neighborhood of the RPM. First, I want to rule out that turbo issues. Fixing clutch could be an expensive one as replacement is the only option.

Strangely, I am not seeing the issue today, after driving for 15km in traffic.
I think you are on right path to identify the problem, first ask the ASC guys to check upon Turbo plumbing/connections as well as air filter assembly. Take opinion of your trusty mechanic in nearby FNG too (if you have one), on both issues above as well as the clutch. If the clutch is just 30k old, I don't see any reason why clutch issues should crop up so early, unless it was abused pretty badly. Fortuner's clutch is pretty heavy duty and doesn't give way too easily!

ASC guys suggest these sort of changes far too often and their advice needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Good luck and keep us posted. Hope you have been through this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-overhaul.html (SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul")
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 20:00   #965
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,303
Thanked: 1,693 Times
Default Re: TOYOTA Fortuner : Unnecessary reving at certain RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What does the tach say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
I see this phenomenon around 1700-1800 RPM. And then it is business as usual again.
If I understand you right, you are saying that there is an increase in NVH between 1700 -1800 rpm. If so, it is most likely to be a resonance problem. Esp. check powertrain and exhaust mounts.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 15:56   #966
BHPian
 
FORTified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore, Indi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 341 Times
Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Test Drive & Review

UPDATE......
I am not seeing this unnecessary revving issue in my car now.
Did no fixes but in the last 150 km drive, I was looking for it and it was never there.

I still feel that the car is struggling to go 100+.
Just 20K KM ago, I replaced my tyres to Continental Cross contacts [265/65 R17 ATRs]. These being ATs, could they be the reason for not getting the speeds that I used to get?

I am still thinking of going to ASS and ask for Turbo plumbing, Air filter clog check, before I go for more expensive tasks.

OR...Could it be an issue with adulterated fuel? I filled at a remote bunk on my way to Ooty recently.
FORTified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 17:19   #967
BHPian
 
dean5545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Posts: 632
Thanked: 682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
UPDATE......

I am not seeing this unnecessary revving issue in my car now.

Did no fixes but in the last 150 km drive, I was looking for it and it was never there.



I still feel that the car is struggling to go 100+.

Just 20K KM ago, I replaced my tyres to Continental Cross contacts [265/65 R17 ATRs]. These being ATs, could they be the reason for not getting the speeds that I used to get?



I am still thinking of going to ASS and ask for Turbo plumbing, Air filter clog check, before I go for more expensive tasks.



OR...Could it be an issue with adulterated fuel? I filled at a remote bunk on my way to Ooty recently.
Why don't you clean the air filter yourself by taking it to a tyre puncture repair shop?
Adulterated fuel too may be a reason.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 01:07   #968
BHPian
 
saishivaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

I have a 2013 Fortuner 4x4 which has done close to 50,000 km now. I hear some strange noise that comes in at high speed. I am observing this noise from the 10,000 km mark (post the third service). The noise sometimes comes at speeds above 165 while sometimes it starts off by 130-140 kmph. It is some sort of squealing, metal on metal scrapping noise. It is intermittent, doesn't come continuously. I am attaching a sound file tat I recorded while on a trip to HYD. The noise is evident in the file. During the recording, I didn't press anything other than the accelerator pedal, so the noise cannot be from the brakes. The noise has always come while driving alone and not braking. Also, it was on a straight road with not a lot of curves or turns. I suspect it has something to do with the wheel bearing or differentials or transfer case. Please help me find the issue.

I have been complaining about this noise to Nandi Toyota, Kanapura Road, Bangalore. They made me drive the car N number of times, each time with a new service advisor, on the NICE road to replicate the noise. I am tired of paying the toll, fuel charges and the amount of time I wasted there. They have kept the car with them for weeks together and still the issue isn't resolved. They have never given a clear answer as to what they rectified each time I went to collect the car.

I do understand their limitations or company policies where they cannot drive a customer's car at those speeds but I really want the issue to be resolved. Hope T-BHP can help me solve this head ache.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2016-09-18-AUDIO-00000010.zip (29.0 KB, 71 views)
saishivaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:18   #969
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,708
Thanked: 3,934 Times
Default Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

What I would have done -

I would by now have recognized as to which Toyota mechanic is the most capable there with so many visits.

Would befriend him and ask him to give me some time on a Sunday morning or any other holiday.

Would have taken him along for a long spin to diagnose, but because you say, this issue is replicated only when you are alone, would ask to check the seats as well.

Hope it helps.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:30   #970
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,565
Thanked: 8,062 Times
Default Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

Is this sound heard at crossing a specific speed? And sometime at lower speed in windy weather?

My guess is the sound is due to air leak in either Driver side or passenger side doors. Try driving with driver side glass slightly down, if you don't hear this sound then replace the rubber beadings.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:59   #971
BHPian
 
saishivaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What I would have done -

I would by now have recognized as to which Toyota mechanic is the most capable there with so many visits.

Would befriend him and ask him to give me some time on a Sunday morning or any other holiday.

Would have taken him along for a long spin to diagnose, but because you say, this issue is replicated only when you are alone, would ask to check the seats as well.

Hope it helps.
Thank you for replying Sheel. I now know the service manager and technical head quite well. They always lure me into believing the issue is resolved. They offer free washes for me for each visit. But giving credit where it is due, they have patiently come with me for every test drive. The thing is nobody knows the cause of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Is this sound heard at crossing a specific speed? And sometime at lower speed in windy weather?

My guess is the sound is due to air leak in either Driver side or passenger side doors. Try driving with driver side glass slightly down, if you don't hear this sound then replace the rubber beadings.
Thank you .anshuman for the reply. The sound occurs whether the windows are closed or slightly opened. I doubt if the noise is because of air leak. It is some kind of a mechanical noise. Some kind of a rubbing noise.
saishivaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:34   #972
BHPian
 
shady_lawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 151
Thanked: 267 Times
Default Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

Its either the suspension or the rear drums. Do you get this sound only when the car sways a little either vertically or laterally? I suspect so because the squeak is not from the engine, transmission or the rotor shafts. It sounds horribly like the squeak you get from railway coaches at speed because the vestibule couplings rub against each other which is essentially rubber on rubber or rubber on steel.

Please also tell us what was done in the third service, it will help in knowing what was touched.
shady_lawyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 22:08   #973
BHPian
 
saishivaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Its either the suspension or the rear drums.
Thank you for the reply shady_lawyer. I forgot to mention, but the sound appears to come from the front left side of the car 90% of the times. And the remaining 10% of the times it comes from the front right. Appears to come from near the wheels. It could be suspension as you said but the folks at Nandi looked into all kinds of anomaly in the suspension.

Also, as you asked, I think the noise appears on a smooth straight road. There was little to no vertical and lateral swaying.

The third service was a regular service with oil change. In addition to that I complained about a vibration noise coming from the transfer case lever. That was the only issue and it was resolved immediately. That vibration was coming only while idling.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd October 2016 at 22:28. Reason: Reduced quoted content
saishivaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:08   #974
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,025
Thanked: 896 Times
Default Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

Have you checked the front wheel bearings?

Another reason may be that the front drive shafts are touching some metal projection. A visual inspection will easily show if that is so.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:19   #975
BHPian
 
Sisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 112
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Noise at high speeds in Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
Hope T-BHP can help me solve this head ache.
I am reasonably sure this sound is from the front brakes. Please get the brake pads and disks checked.

Most likely, the disks are warped and would need to be replaced.

It does not matter if you touch the brakes or not. If your disks are warped even slightly, there would be such a noise a some speed.

Have you had your pads and disks replaced since you bought the car?

Incase the service centre does not agree, ask them to install the disks and pads from their TD Fortuner and then go for a test.

Let us know how this pans out.

Cheeerzzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & Automatic) : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 721 26th September 2016 10:06
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks