Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 27th November 2009, 00:59   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh2 View Post
Well, well, well - it was bound to happen one day.

Last night I was out for dinner in a hotel, and as always passed on my Cruze to valet parking. Finished dinner, and was ready to leave and the valet guy pulled up in front of me with the engine running. I took the car and left.

Drove for about 5km, then stopped at a roadside shop to get some cigarrettes. Got out of the car to realise that the keyfob was still in the valet guy's pocket. <panic attack>

Tried to start the car, but no, obviously it wouldnt start. The error codes were popping up like it was christmas and I had no clue on what any of them meant.

Decided the only option left was to take a rick back to the hotel, get the keys and come back to get the car. Option decided, I proceeded to lock the car. But no, the car wouldnt not lock <double panic attack>

The driver's side window was partially rolled down, so tried to close that. But hey, guess what, it wouldnt work <triple panic attack>

Finally to cut a long story short, I had to call home for my driver to go to the hotel in my other car, pick up the key, drive over and give it to me. and in all the 25 minutes it took for him to get there, there I was sitting in an unlocked car on the side of a fairly deserted road very late at night with a rolled down window to boot.

I guess I was lucky that my driver was available to get my keys for me. If not, I would have had to take a rick to the hotel, leaving my unlocked car by the side of a deserted road.

The PEPS system was a real wow factor and still continues to be when I show off the car to people. But what happened last night could perhaps happen to anyone and it could be more worrying particularly if it had happened if my family and kid was with me.

Need to check with GM to see if there is atleast some way I can lock the car should this happen again......
OMG imagine this happenin in some highway all alone. Very scary my man . Please do let us know how you resolve this issue.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 01:09   #467
Team-BHP Support

@rosh2- Did you try to contact General motors regarding this issue? We would like to know their response on this. It is indeed a safety threat with owner standing near the car anything from the car can be stolen AFAIK even the boot is unlocked automatically, imagine someone carrying valuables in a unlocked boot at traffic lights or traffic jams.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 12:46   #468
BHPian

Saw this pic of the A4 on the imports in Kerala thread and couldnt help noticing the similarity with the side profile of the Cruze. Let me know your thoughts

p.s: Apologies for the picture quality. It was taken on my phone as I didnt have my digicam with me.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp a4.BMP (857.1 KB, 13810 views)
rosh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 16:43   #469
BHPian

Talking

TSK, for a long time I've been wanting to buy the Chevy Optra. That magnum came and just my money bag was lagging behind. And now the CRUZE. Saw one this morning at East Tambaram and I overtook it atop my Unicorn just to admire the maroon color CRUZE through the rearview mirror. I've set my mind now, after reading your review, that this is gonna be my car, probably in the next 3 months. Who minds the clutch issues, when its gonna scorch the highways and make other cars vanish in my rear view mirrors
JEHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:11   #470
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GM has to be worried about the Cruze. In the first month since launch, 800 odd cars. In the second (i.e. November), the Cruze is already down to 500 only! This, at a time when the overall market has leapt forward. But then, the Cruze is against some truly formidable competition. I have a feeling that its either the brand or the interiors that are killing the deal.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:22   #471
Team-BHP Support

@GTO - This means we can expect typical huge discounts along with free maintenance package soon. This would mean even better value for money. Any news about the AT version?
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:55   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEHU View Post
TSK, for a long time I've been wanting to buy the Chevy Optra. That magnum came and just my money bag was lagging behind. And now the CRUZE. Saw one this morning at East Tambaram and I overtook it atop my Unicorn just to admire the maroon color CRUZE through the rearview mirror. I've set my mind now, after reading your review, that this is gonna be my car, probably in the next 3 months. Who minds the clutch issues, when its gonna scorch the highways and make other cars vanish in my rear view mirrors
Well to be fair, the car had 7000+kms on the odo, and had been (ab)used by other testers, and its quite possible, that a brand new car would have a better clutch. Infact many ownership reviews suggest that the cluch is not that hard on a normal car. So you can definitely go for it, but wait a little, discounts may come raining down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
GM has to be worried about the Cruze. In the first month since launch, 800 odd cars. In the second (i.e. November), the Cruze is already down to 500 only! This, at a time when the overall market has leapt forward. But then, the Cruze is against some truly formidable competition. I have a feeling that its either the brand or the interiors that are killing the deal.
Its the interiors. While the enthusiasts may rave about the engine and performance and that killer handling, the fact remains that many people who buy a 12L car are often driver driven, and also have families with kids. The back seat is very very cramped, and anybody over 5'10 would have a tough time in there, esp with the lack of headroom, and upright seat.
In this segment, space does matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@GTO - This means we can expect typical huge discounts along with free maintenance package soon. This would mean even better value for money. Any news about the AT version?
Of course, its GM. They are known to do this. The spark sells for 50K less than what it did before, and I suspect a 40-50K price drop for cruize is not out of question, however it may be for a "limited period special offer".
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:58   #473
AWD
BANNED

If I may add something, I tried Cruze a while back. Every thing like high end torque, top end whack, etc are fine but when it comes to driveability within city, the car loses out bigtime.
I guess consumers could have overlooked the average interiors like in the case of Fortuner but are not ready to leave out driving experience, which is provided in dollops in the competition.
G
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:47   #474
BHPian

if they introduce auto trany with updated interiors like below at the same cost of the present manual cruze and reduce the price of the manual varient than sales should pick up
first pic is what the interior of the indian cruze looks drab compared to the second picture
Attached Images

dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 01:21   #475
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Me too I never expected Cruze's sales to fall by this much.by God i thought they would be segment leaders by that initial rate. Wonder where they went wrong ?? Guess it's the rear space and turbo lag factor.IMO interiors were not all that bad looking although i still haven't seen the car up close and personal.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:23   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Me too I never expected Cruze's sales to fall by this much.by God i thought they would be segment leaders by that initial rate. Wonder where they went wrong ?? Guess it's the rear space and turbo lag factor.IMO interiors were not all that bad looking although i still haven't seen the car up close and personal.
I think its more to do with the brand image of GM. People still think of their cars as fuel guzzlers and high on maintenance.
Cruze still attracts enthusiasts only. For an average Indian buyer its still the trusted Honda and Toyota in that price range.
GM needs more than one model to be a grand success for the Indian customer to think that the company is doing great.Personally i think with the diesel variant Cruze should have sold more, but they could not outsell the petrol Altis.
Shows that its not with the product but with the GM's image that played the spoilsport.
zoom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:53   #477
BHPian

Hey guys,

i am new member and following this thread from day one. I am planning to buy the cruze.

rosh2 i was kinda worried so asked a senior sales person in GM. If the key is not with you the light in the start/stop button will blink and if you press the button the car will not stop i think it is some indication .
ARSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 18:33   #478
Team-BHP Support

I have noticed a lot of people are complaining about the roll on times in 5th gear, To keep the top speed above 200 and to make it a better cruiser Chevrolet went ahead with tall 4th and 5th gears(4th@100kph=~2500rpm, 5th@100kph=~1800rpm) so expecting a car with such a tall gearing to respond from 40kph in 5th is expecting too much, that too from a turbocharged diesel.

For reference Swift,Punto and Scorpio are ~2500rpm @ 100kph in 5th gear.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:40   #479
BHPian

Got the cruze 3 days back, am in love with it, i enjoy driving it more than my accord.
d3adlythegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 14:36   #480
BHPian

My Black Cruze LTZ was delivered last Friday after an angonising wait of 4 weeks. My first choice was White. As the dealer was not confirming delivery date even after receiving the full payment I opted for Black. The car is just astonishingly awesome. I am running short of words to describe the Cruze. I have driven 1300KMS in 4 days and sent for 1st service today. The interior is just amazing and people looking inside are in awe of the twin cockpit like styling. The PEPS Cruise control Rain Sensors Sun Roof Parking Sensors and the OEM have impressed my family and friends. So many of my relatives TD the Cruze and each and every one was impressed with its pick up and the amount of speeds the car develops in no time. The people who TD my Cruze own cars like CRV Accord Captiva Fortuner Altis Skoda Laura Octavia Fiat Linea VW Jetta X Trail Civic City Verna Dzire i20 and Grand Vitara. Each of them were just shocked with the corvette inspired cockpit styling and the speeds of the Cruze.The keyless start impressed each and everyone and they said this car is a segment above. The Cruze is an allrounder with dynamic styling coupled with beautiful interiors. The braking is superb as well as the suspension. For 14L what more one can expect. Its 100% VFM product.

Turbo Lag is evident,but once you are used to changing gears often this is not a problem at all. I clocked 190KMPH and still the engine had power to do more but I did not get a good enough stretch to reach its top speed. The Cruze is stable at such speeds. Only in sharp turns I experienced a bit of a wobble,unlike Skoda or jetta which I have driven extensively on the highways.

I got a FE of 12 with city as well as highway driving.

Very shortly I shall come up with my Initial Ownership Report of the Cruze. I am planning to upsize the Tires to 225/55 R17 and also fix 17" alloys.

The reason I feel for the drop in Nov sales for the Cruze is because of Production Constraints in GM plant at Halol. I came to know of this as I was in touch directly with the Sales Manager-Retail for General Motors South India. I contacted him because the dealer was not giving a delivery date and he gave me the true picture and asked me to give a second choice color so that he can speed up my delivery. Apparantly GM has received 2500 all India Bookings which they are not able to meet. The Cruze is a drivers car unlike the Civic and Altis which are preffered by the CEO's and chauffeur driven owners. The Cruze is selling more in 2 tier cities than in metros as people in smaller cities do a lot of highway driving and prefer deisel. A single dealer in Coimbatore has 15 confirmed bookings for white alone. All India there are 250 bookings for white Cruze. The company did not expect so much demand and they are finding it difficult to cope with it. Unlike Toyota and Honda who are confident about their product even before its launch and they stock up a good amount of cars to flood the market, GM did not follow the Japanese marketing strategy.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dsc00113.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dsc00118.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dsc00120.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dsc00121.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dsc00167.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dsc00177.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review-dsc00181.jpg  

sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote