Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd July 2012, 23:54   #826
BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Guys I desperately need help here. Despite my earlier posts on the new Cruze being over priced, I am on the verge of booking it - AT variant. I sold my 2005 swift vxi Delhi regd. 82000 km done for 1.85. Hope I got a fair price ?

Now just when I was about to pay the booking amount, I got a call from my source at Chevy, infoming me that as per the latest information - there is another NEW cruze being launched this October 2012 !!! Yes.. You read that correct. This one will have all international features such as both front seats electronically adjustable, color multimedia screen, lumber support, better rear seats, white lights and extremely superior quality fog lights. The engine remains the same. The expected price hike will be 50k more ex showroom.

Now I know many will find it hard to digest this, but I have tested the reliability of this source earlier and it was bang on. If you see my earlier posts, the information provided to me for the new Cruze was near spot on. So I am mostly sure that this launch will be there, give and take a month and a new thousands.

Based on the update on the features, the proper new cruze will be a dream. Though I know that cars keep on improving and updating but 4-5 months is too short a time for a super improved variant. This will also mean that the present Cruze will totally loose it's value.

I was informed by Mahindra First Choice person that in his experience the Cruze starts giving a lot of trouble post the 40000 km and then the resale is just terrible. He recommended me a used BMW 3 series corporate edition for 15-16 L. But I am extremely apprehensive on buying a used car.

Now what do I do ? Wait till October for the new Cruze or go ahead with the existing one which will also put me back by 17L, and loose resale value and most importantly the real good features.

I can wait till October, if I decide to buy the new one.

All advise and suggestions will be extremely appreciated.
kch82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:18   #827
MAS
Senior - BHPian

If you are very confident about your source, I would advice you to wait till October and get the new car. October is just 90 days away and you should wait. Even if your source is wing, you can expect to get some discounts due to festive season.

I have not heard of problems with Cruze after 40000 km. It could be that the sales guy wanting to pass out the 3 series to you.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:52   #828
BHPian

Guess you are right MAS. But this is like a cycle. I was planning on buying the Cruze last Diwali - year end, but postponed it due to the rumours of the new cruze, which is launched now. I guess I will land u acting on impulse, though hope not. I have ruled out buying a used 3 or A4 due to the comparatively astronomical ***. Thanks for the advise. Also how long before my posts appear instantly rather than through the approval process. I have posted various times now
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:44   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post

I can wait till October, if I decide to buy the new one.

All advise and suggestions will be extremely appreciated.
When i took my Beat for the servicing, the GM of the service station told me that all new cruze is launching near Diwali. I will advise you to wait.
raviacc2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 02:01   #830
BHPian

Then I guess the new Cruze must be on its way. But it makes no sense as to why would GM make such frequent model changes. I am sure it will not work in for of Chevy trying to creat brand image in India, if customers put in their hard earned money and only be to be disappointed with an 'actual' upgrade shortly. Some might even call it being unfair and untrustworthy. Guess I should wait, though I am sick of waiting for yet not her variant. Thanks Ravia, but how long back were you informed apt the Cruze Diwali launch ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:28   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post
Guys I desperately need help here...
Have you considered other cars? How about a Skoda Laura or VW Jetta?
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:26   #832
BHPian

GM was forced to bring out the new Cruze ahead of time as all prospective buyers were postponing their purchase to get the new model and sales were subsequently at an all time low.

It is very probable that GM could not test out/homologate all the new features in time, hence Diwali will probably be when the update comes out.

My bet is only the LTZ will be upgraded with the new features - and the current differential of 30k with the old LTZ will be upped to about a lakh in line with the LT price differential.
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:45   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Have you considered other cars? How about a Skoda Laura or VW Jetta?
I did try the Laura AT, but did not enjoy the car. The interiors are outdated and the air conditioning extremely poor to say the least. The AC has always been a problem with most Skoda vehicles. I have 4 - 5 Skoda's between my friends and family- Superb; Lauras and Octavia and each of them complaint about the ineffectiveness of the cooling in peak Delhi summers.

I love the Jetta, but considering i only want the automatic variant which is priced exorbitantly.

Thankfully I am travelling till mid August now, therefore I can take a call by August end and check for more updates on the new Cruze. Or if I can save some, I might consider the Jetta AT during Diwali.

Thanks for all valuable suggestions.
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:40   #834
BHPian

Took a test drive of LTZ M/T(old version) brand new car.As I had already voiced concern over possible clutch hardness over telephone the sales advisor bought a brand new cruze to get me a feeling of the new clutch in the car.There test drive car had done 2 lakh kms hence probably had a much harder clutch.Well liked the car and all of its features.the sun roof was experienced by me first time and it was like wow,space is not a big upgrade over verna,AC chilled me to the bones even on low blower setting.But clutch was harder than my verna and ritz diesel.Voiced the same to the sales adviser and he promised to bring the new version cruze as soon as available.
Asked about rear seats folding option and he pointed me to the isofix teether points and said possible-didn't correct him.Overall liked the car,service cost as mentioned by him were 2500/.warranty three years 1 lakh kms non-extendable.
drchernish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 00:24   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82
Thanks Ravia, but how long back were you informed apt the Cruze Diwali launch ?
I was informed on 29 June...
raviacc2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 07:25   #836
BHPian

Yesterday night my Cruze wouldn't start up. Mine is a late 2010 car that came with the ACDelco battery. I have been asked to bring the car on Monday where the battery would be checked for issues and if any, replaced on warranty.
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 23:31   #837
Senior - BHPian

The other day I saw a comparo by ACI on Bloomberg TV where they pitted the new Cruze with the Jetta and the Renault Fluence , link given alongside . Well even though the Cruze is way more powerful on paper , I was shocked to see the sluggish in gear acceleration times of 3rd & 4th gears - it lagged even the Fluence and that too by a big margin which was highly unexpected . Seems like there is a huge gap between rated power / torque and actual transmission to the wheels else Cruze should blow away the Fluence on the tarmac ( whatever be the turbo lag ! ). I don't know what is GM's game plan but if Cruze loses out even on its single biggest USP then its worrisome. The review didn't seem too kind on Cruze
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 11:25   #838
BHPian

I think GM is loosing it with the Cruze. The price increase is just not worth what they offer now. Also when the new - proper upgraded Cruze launches later in the year, a further price increase is bound to happen. It is then when buyers like me feel whether tp just go ahead with the Jetta which is indeed the best car in its segment. Also it will makes things more interesting if the Fluence diesel is launched with the AT gearbox and at a competitive price.
Old 9th July 2012, 16:47   #839
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
. Well even though the Cruze is way more powerful on paper , I was shocked to see the sluggish in gear acceleration times of 3rd & 4th gears - it lagged even the Fluence and that too by a big margin which was highly unexpected . Seems like there is a huge gap between rated power / torque and actual transmission to the wheels else Cruze should blow away the Fluence on the tarmac ( whatever be the turbo lag ! )
That's more to do with the very tall 3rd and 4th gear ratios of Cruze.

Kmph at 1000 RPM for cruze
3rd gear : 24 Kmph
4th gear : 31 Kmph.

Last edited by anb : 9th July 2012 at 16:49.
anb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 13:59   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
The other day I saw a comparo by ACI on Bloomberg TV where they pitted the new Cruze with the Jetta and the Renault Fluence , link given alongside . Well even though the Cruze is way more powerful on paper , I was shocked to see the sluggish in gear acceleration times of 3rd & 4th gears - it lagged even the Fluence and that too by a big margin which was highly unexpected . Seems like there is a huge gap between rated power / torque and actual transmission to the wheels else Cruze should blow away the Fluence on the tarmac ( whatever be the turbo lag ! ). I don't know what is GM's game plan but if Cruze loses out even on its single biggest USP then its worrisome. The review didn't seem too kind on Cruze
With the new 6 speed MT box the in gear acceleration figures have improved. But relative to the competition there's still some catching up to do for the new Cruze.

Performance has been one big USP of the Cruze ever since its launch. While it is nice to see them bump up the power with their new engine on paper, it is disappointing to read that the new Cruze lags behind in the 0-100 timings compared to the earlier one. Agreed they have listened to customer feedback and have improved driveability. But when your USP has been raw power, which has been the biggest draw for the power hungry buyer, I feel Chevy should not have accepted the fact that the new engine is slower in the 0-100 timings than the earlier offering. As you can see if the prospective buyer is looking for good driveability, then the Cruze is the last option he would look at, as even the Fluence trumps it in this respect! I feel the target audience (performance seekers) for the new Cruze would find it very disturbing when they read reviews that say that the new Cruze is slower than the old one in a straight line.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote