Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 23rd November 2009, 20:45   #451
BHPian

According to me, Cruze should not be compared to Laura L&K. There is a big price difference of say around 2.5 to 3 lacs. The main criteria here should be price. Laura is a very good car. But at a cost. Cruze is too good at the price it is being offered.

I think we need to appluad GM for the efforts they have put in Cruze. GM could have easily beaten Laura when it comes to the "quality" part mentioned here by others if they had priced CRUZE by a lac more. In this scenario too, top end cruze would have been cheaper than top end Laura. Then we would crib saying it was not priced properly. Come on guys! We neeed to accept that GM has done a good job here.

Torque123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 16:50   #452
BHPian

Default My first disaster with PEPS

Well, well, well - it was bound to happen one day.

Last night I was out for dinner in a hotel, and as always passed on my Cruze to valet parking. Finished dinner, and was ready to leave and the valet guy pulled up in front of me with the engine running. I took the car and left.

Drove for about 5km, then stopped at a roadside shop to get some cigarrettes. Got out of the car to realise that the keyfob was still in the valet guy's pocket. <panic attack>

Tried to start the car, but no, obviously it wouldnt start. The error codes were popping up like it was christmas and I had no clue on what any of them meant.

Decided the only option left was to take a rick back to the hotel, get the keys and come back to get the car. Option decided, I proceeded to lock the car. But no, the car wouldnt not lock <double panic attack>

The driver's side window was partially rolled down, so tried to close that. But hey, guess what, it wouldnt work <triple panic attack>

Finally to cut a long story short, I had to call home for my driver to go to the hotel in my other car, pick up the key, drive over and give it to me. and in all the 25 minutes it took for him to get there, there I was sitting in an unlocked car on the side of a fairly deserted road very late at night with a rolled down window to boot.

I guess I was lucky that my driver was available to get my keys for me. If not, I would have had to take a rick to the hotel, leaving my unlocked car by the side of a deserted road.

The PEPS system was a real wow factor and still continues to be when I show off the car to people. But what happened last night could perhaps happen to anyone and it could be more worrying particularly if it had happened if my family and kid was with me.

Need to check with GM to see if there is atleast some way I can lock the car should this happen again......
rosh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 17:26   #453
Team-BHP Support

How many keys do you get with the Cruze? Toyota gives 3 and they recommend you keep the 3rd key hidden in the car for such eventualities.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 17:30   #454
Team-BHP Support

See I told you in the review, you can drive off without the key. So it basically means if you are standing next to car, somebody can get in start car and drive off.
they need some kind of "disable" mechanism
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 17:41   #455
Team-BHP Support

Rosh, that truly is a scary experience! Glad you were able to manage without any untoward incident happening.

Quote:
Need to check with GM to see if there is atleast some way I can lock the car should this happen again......
Somehow i dont foresee any way this can be done without having the car key with you.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 19:21   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How many keys do you get with the Cruze? Toyota gives 3 and they recommend you keep the 3rd key hidden in the car for such eventualities.
I got 2 keys with the car. But because of the way the PEPS system is configured, having another key hidden in the car would by default activate the RFID system and you wouldnt be able to lock the car.

@tsk - you're right. There should be some "disable" mechanism. Otherwise it can get pretty risky.
Old 24th November 2009, 20:12   #457

gosh (or rosh ), this is scary. I always thought the car engine would automatically stop if you move the key pod more than 2 metres (or is it 1 metre??).

Isn't there an option in the control panel to disable the use of PEPS? I faintly remember that during the TD.

Anyway, I would also like to know 2 things from you 1) Are the JK tyres ok for this monster and 2) Does the clutch get loose after some use (wow, that's rhyming!!). I am expecting my Cruze in a couple of weeks...Thanks.
rajivkamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 23:31   #458

Even a Sales Person told me that the Cruze will stop after 1-2 Kms if driven without a Key. I believed him then as he said that it has happen with him when he was driving it from the Stockyard. Now after seeing rosh's post I am more confused. Could it be that the Sales Person was bluffing ?
budmaash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 14:30   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivkamani View Post

Isn't there an option in the control panel to disable the use of PEPS? I faintly remember that during the TD.

Anyway, I would also like to know 2 things from you 1) Are the JK tyres ok for this monster and 2) Does the clutch get loose after some use (wow, that's rhyming!!). I am expecting my Cruze in a couple of weeks...Thanks.
Yes Rajiv, there is an option to disable the passive entry where the key fob will act like a normal remote lock/unlock system. But it still will not resolve the issue of someone driving off with the unlocked car if you are within 1 mtr distance.

to answer your other questions:
1) The JK tyres are not confidence inspiring at all. I am planning on changing to 225/55/16 Yokos myself.

2) I am not sure if it is because the clutch has become softer with use or if it is because I have got more used to it, but I do not feel a problem with it at all now.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:37   #460
BHPian

Sorry for going OT, but while we talk about the highly accomplished engine of the Cruze, glancing through some spec sheets, I saw the Hyundai Sonata Transform already has a 2.0L CRDI engine which develops identical power and torque 150Ps and 32.1Kgm at lower rpms. And this is mated to a 6 speed manual box. Sure must be a hoot to drive.

The price is higher but how does it compare with the Cruze as an overall package.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 15:20   #461
Team-BHP Support

Sonata is overall a roomier car, and much more comfortable. However it costs a good 2.5L more for the manual tranny version.
So if the size of cruze is not to your liking, then the Sonata is an excellent buy.
Moreover, you can get some yummy discounts also on the Sonata
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 18:22   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh2 View Post
Yes Rajiv, there is an option to disable the passive entry where the key fob will act like a normal remote lock/unlock system. But it still will not resolve the issue of someone driving off with the unlocked car if you are within 1 mtr distance.
Thanks for your responses. One more thing - I have also read in some reviews (perhaps in the same thread) that the glare of headlights from oncoming vehicles is not dispersed properly in Cruze. Is this something you have observed? Thanks in advance.
rajivkamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 22:10   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh2 View Post
Well, well, well - it was bound to happen one day.

Last night I was out for dinner in a hotel, and as always passed on my Cruze to valet parking. Finished dinner, and was ready to leave and the valet guy pulled up in front of me with the engine running. I took the car and left.

Drove for about 5km, then stopped at a roadside shop to get some cigarrettes. Got out of the car to realise that the keyfob was still in the valet guy's pocket. <panic attack>

Tried to start the car, but no, obviously it wouldnt start. The error codes were popping up like it was christmas and I had no clue on what any of them meant.

Decided the only option left was to take a rick back to the hotel, get the keys and come back to get the car. Option decided, I proceeded to lock the car. But no, the car wouldnt not lock <double panic attack>

The driver's side window was partially rolled down, so tried to close that. But hey, guess what, it wouldnt work <triple panic attack>

Finally to cut a long story short, I had to call home for my driver to go to the hotel in my other car, pick up the key, drive over and give it to me. and in all the 25 minutes it took for him to get there, there I was sitting in an unlocked car on the side of a fairly deserted road very late at night with a rolled down window to boot.

I guess I was lucky that my driver was available to get my keys for me. If not, I would have had to take a rick to the hotel, leaving my unlocked car by the side of a deserted road.

The PEPS system was a real wow factor and still continues to be when I show off the car to people. But what happened last night could perhaps happen to anyone and it could be more worrying particularly if it had happened if my family and kid was with me.

man that is a scary incident mate. cant imagine a similar situation on ring road or something. i personally have absolutely no problem in using a key. simple and safe. even if unauthorized people can not cruize away in the cruize they can steal stuff from inside, say a laptop. robbers here don't even spare the footwear at my door step,the petrol in the tank (bike) or the plastic tap on the terrace, wonder what they would do to an unlocked car.
rajathv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 11:44   #464
BHPian

This is indeed scary, but I think there will be some mechanism to lock the car incase the key is not within 1 mtr and rollup the windows within a few seconds of car shutdown. This feature is there even in small cars and Cruze being a globally sold vehicle will certainly have some safety mechanisms.

Doesn't the manual have anything about this?
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 15:10   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivkamani View Post
Thanks for your responses. One more thing - I have also read in some reviews (perhaps in the same thread) that the glare of headlights from oncoming vehicles is not dispersed properly in Cruze. Is this something you have observed? Thanks in advance.
I read the same post myself before I got my delivery. But I have not experienced any such thing at all so far and it is quite comfortable to drive at night.