Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 20:59   #1531
BHPian
 
shashi63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: THANE
Posts: 199
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Off late my manza's 1.3mjd engine noise seems to be very high. Also the engine feels very sluggish. I think this is because of the petronet oil used by TASS.

Having read all the previous discussions in the preceeding pages, I am left confused now.
Should I use systemD addictive now. Or how do I do it.

Apparently for the past two services, petronet oil was only used. Now I want to change the engine oil. Which full synthetic oil would be better. Any idea?

Also off late, I find that the headlight brightness/throw is reduced. Does this imply an upgrade to a better set of bulbs. If yes, which would be the best in this case.

Hello Rki2007,

I own the New Club Class Diesel and as per Tata when the car is shipped it is with Petronas. I changed to castrol during the first oil change and now i just another oil change recently at 30K.

Honestly, I found no difference in the way the car behaved when i changed the oil the first time.

Maybe you should check the air filter and check if the right air filter has been used? Did you by any chance have a recent service and change of air filter? The Air filter used for the Manza is different and this can effect performance. If your FE has gone down then this may be a reason.

Take Care!

Have a safe drive!
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:45   #1532
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Hello Rki2007,

I own the New Club Class Diesel and as per Tata when the car is shipped it is with Petronas. I changed to castrol during the first oil change and now i just another oil change recently at 30K.

Honestly, I found no difference in the way the car behaved when i changed the oil the first time.

Maybe you should check the air filter and check if the right air filter has been used? Did you by any chance have a recent service and change of air filter? The Air filter used for the Manza is different and this can effect performance. If your FE has gone down then this may be a reason.
Yes the car was recently serviced and the air filter was replaced by the TASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
I lost my extended two years ( 2+2) warranty on a/c of this as i was unaware of this change in policy, neither Tata Motors ( Concorde Worli ) bothered to inform me where i was a regular.

How many kms have you clocked ?
The sluggishness of the Engine that you mentioned, is it accompanied by high levels of NVH ? Particularly high vibrations? just check, could be the fact that all cylinders may not be firing, could be a result of spark plugs or ignition coil issue or could be a Timing issue. Has there been a timing belt change ? A must, for a diesel engine, after 1 lac kms.
From a Tass guy you trust, get these things investigated.
My car has clocked less than 30K kms. In the recent service, there was no specific observation concerning the cylinders or spark plug. In terms of warranty lost by you, can you explain what exactly the issue was and why TASS dishonored the warranty because I am a bit worried on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Ditto in my case. For me switch to high speed diesel did the trick.
Your plan to switch back to fully synthetic oil is difficult since almost none of TASSs stock Mobil 1 or castril edge any more.


I had used System D too , but the switch to hi speed premium diesel has yielded better results(atleast mentally).
But i was under an impression that the hi-speed diesels should not be used. Even a thread in this forum advocates the same.

Last edited by rki2007 : 2nd December 2014 at 15:48.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:12   #1533
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 269
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
But i was under an impression that the hi-speed diesels should not be used. Even a thread in this forum advocates the same.
Nope, not using HSD is more of an urban myth in my opinion. In fact, the manual suggests premium diesel. I ran my Manza for a couple of years on stuff like Extramile and the ilk till the prices went up exponentially. She's been running on normal for some years now, and frankly, I haven't noticed any difference as such.
anilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:03   #1534
BHPian
 
madhu33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Yes the car was recently serviced and the air filter was replaced by the TASS.

But i was under an impression that the hi-speed diesels should not be used. Even a thread in this forum advocates the same.
If its not the air filter, Please check for leaks in exhaust gas circulation line that is charging the turbo. Any Tass can easily do it simply by having the car up the ramp.

i would still recommend to switch to premium diesel for 2-3 fill ups and observe if you could concur with what i suggest .
If you go through my posts a few months and a few pages ago in this same thread, i had mentioned exactly the same problem with exactly the same doubt on the engine oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Nope, not using HSD is more of an urban myth in my opinion. In fact, the manual suggests premium diesel. I ran my Manza for a couple of years on stuff like Extramile and the ilk till the prices went up exponentially. She's been running on normal for some years now, and frankly, I haven't noticed any difference as such.
I very well know the regular diesel v/s premium diesel myth/debates..
That does not stop me from believing in my observation for premium diesels specific to my Manza.
I will continue to use premium diesel in the future for my Manza.

Last edited by madhu33 : 3rd December 2014 at 14:31.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:09   #1535
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
I very well know the regular diesel v/s premium diesel myth/debates..
That does not stop me from believing in my observation for premium diesels specific to my Manza.
I will continue to do so in the future for my Manza.
So you mean to say that you will use the premium diesel or otherwise.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:32   #1536
BHPian
 
madhu33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
So you mean to say that you will use the premium diesel or otherwise.
Yes correct ,i will continue with premium diesel as long as as the price differential is under RS5/litre I edited my post to this effect.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:21   #1537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 77
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post



My car has clocked less than 30K kms. In the recent service, there was no specific observation concerning the cylinders or spark plug. In terms of warranty lost by you, can you explain what exactly the issue was and why TASS dishonored the warranty because I am a bit worried on this..
The earlier mandate by Tata Motors for Manza was Synthetic oil change at 20k km & then at next 20k kms.
This was subsequently changed to use of regular non synthetic oil however at 10k interval.
It was at about 32/33 k km when i went to them (Concorde Worli) to change under warranty, a Steering Rack problem that they had identified, they told me the Extended Warranty had lapsed ( as conveyed to them by the insurance co that managed Extended Warranty) as there was no oil change done @ 30k kms. This after a regular servicing of my car at Concorde Worli only. In this case the issue was, this change in policy should have been communicated to me by Concorde which they didn't.
But if you have been servicing the car at the regular, prescribed intervals at authorized Tass centers, you need not worry.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 17:44   #1538
BHPian
 
madhu33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
The earlier mandate by Tata Motors for Manza was Synthetic oil change at 20k km & then at next 20k kms.
This was subsequently changed to use of regular non synthetic oil however at 10k interval.
I.
I feel that 20k oil change interval in indian conditions is a bit too harsh for the engine. Also as far as i know the mandate has always been that be it synthetic or semi synthetic the oil change interval was always 10k kms.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:14   #1539
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 77
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
I feel that 20k oil change interval in indian conditions is a bit too harsh for the engine. Also as far as i know the mandate has always been that be it synthetic or semi synthetic the oil change interval was always 10k kms.
That was indeed the case. The miscommunication would not have been so glaring otherwise.
My Manza ( Safire 1.4 Petrol) is of Feb 2010 batch & i completed 20k kms by 2nd half of 2011. The change in oil policy occurred somewhere in 2012. There is no question about it.
Concorde Worli have done all the initial services including the free services upto 10k kms.
As an afterthought i agree that oil should be changed @ 10k kms but that is where they goofed up & made me lose my warranty.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 11:26   #1540
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 176
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

End of Road for Manza :( ?

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200152_1.html

Its real sad to see all good efforts Tata Motors shunned by Indian public and ensure that the product sees premature death !!

Being an owner of Manza myself, I feel very sad to see the early sunset of such a wonderful, comfortable, safe and value for money vehicle .

Also, I guess people have gone overboard about complaining about Tata and their after sales service. I have personally visited the service center only for regular service for both Manza and my safari. I do agree that the only mistake Tata continues to do even on Zest is their plastic quality. They have to fire their current vendor. Infact Xcent from Hyundai has better plastics than Zest. This is one thing they have to sort immediately as the first look is the last look for the Indian customer. No one cares, how good the technicals are below.

I personally feel Indian public somehow dont respect good products. Otherwise, I dont really see any logic for vehicles like Fortuner selling at such atrocious price and cars like Manza and Linea T-jet completely underselling. God save our people
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 11:56   #1541
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 1,620 Times
Default Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Manza phasing out?! That's sad.

Just last evening was admiring a Black Manza Club Class top end parked near my house. It seemed to be making regular visits from Delhi to Bangalore every month!

Agree with power ranger. We as a collective do not seem to judge based on merit, but on paid advertisements that we consider as "Branding". Manza is a textbook example of the mob mentality.

But anyway, I guess TATA is making decent money on Zest, and looks like the RoI will be better in that in the long term. Surely they don't want to bother with a car that doesn't sell more than 200-300 units per month, and want to concentrate on Zest and upcoming TATA Bolt.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th December 2014 at 11:58.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 12:25   #1542
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Nope, not using HSD is more of an urban myth in my opinion. In fact, the manual suggests premium diesel. I ran my Manza for a couple of years on stuff like Extramile and the ilk till the prices went up exponentially. She's been running on normal for some years now, and frankly, I haven't noticed any difference as such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
If its not the air filter, Please check for leaks in exhaust gas circulation line that is charging the turbo. Any Tass can easily do it simply by having the car up the ramp.

i would still recommend to switch to premium diesel for 2-3 fill ups and observe if you could concur with what i suggest .
If you go through my posts a few months and a few pages ago in this same thread, i had mentioned exactly the same problem with exactly the same doubt on the engine oil.

I very well know the regular diesel v/s premium diesel myth/debates..
That does not stop me from believing in my observation for premium diesels specific to my Manza.
I will continue to use premium diesel in the future for my Manza.
I think it is time for me to check with the extramile/premium diesel. Will update after 2-3- fill ups. I will even try out with Shell Diesel too. Thanks for all your updates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
End of Road for Manza :( ?

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200152_1.html

Its real sad to see all good efforts Tata Motors shunned by Indian public and ensure that the product sees premature death !!

Being an owner of Manza myself, I feel very sad to see the early sunset of such a wonderful, comfortable, safe and value for money vehicle .

Also, I guess people have gone overboard about complaining about Tata and their after sales service. I have personally visited the service center only for regular service for both Manza and my safari. I do agree that the only mistake Tata continues to do even on Zest is their plastic quality. They have to fire their current vendor. Infact Xcent from Hyundai has better plastics than Zest. This is one thing they have to sort immediately as the first look is the last look for the Indian customer. No one cares, how good the technicals are below.

I personally feel Indian public somehow dont respect good products. Otherwise, I dont really see any logic for vehicles like Fortuner selling at such atrocious price and cars like Manza and Linea T-jet completely underselling. God save our people
I second your opinion. It is very unfortunate for Manza owners to see it die so soon. Had it been a Maruti product, it would have gone out the shelves in greater volumes.

As it is there is very low asking price for Manza in the resale market. Now I assume that, people will be least interested to even enquire.

I would say Zest as one of the contributor for Manza's downfall. Still Tata can revive the sales by introducing a facelift of Manza with AMT and other interior upgrades. But I am very pessimistic about TATA doing this.

I really do not know whether to stick to the Janata's thought by buying those products which sell well and hold tight in the resale market like swift/dezire/Honda City or take such test like what we did, buying Manza!!!. Now you can't sell it and you do not have place to park one more car if you get a new one. Plus all the money that you invested in the car has been evaporated just like that in 4-5 years time.

Last edited by rki2007 : 4th December 2014 at 12:32.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 14:40   #1543
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
As it is there is very low asking price for Manza in the resale market. Now I assume that, people will be least interested to even enquire.
I disagree with the above as i sold our Manza Aura ABS 2010 model in March 2014 which had run for 1,10,000kms @ Rs.3,60,000/- which is approx 50% of the car value.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 14:51   #1544
BHPian
 
madhu33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Manza phasing out .. o no. Well to be fair to Tata motors , if the monthly numbers were indeed that bad , they might want to focus more on the Zest.
Zest being a fresh product and new features was bound to cannibalise the manza from Day 1.
However in my 3 years 6 months of ownership of the Manza , i can just say 1 word. "Fantatstic: for the price.

I have faced many bad and many good experiences with Manza and the TASS
(all posted on this thread over the course of last year)
I have had 4 breakdowns (not 1 not 2 but yeah ... 4 ) whereby i was left high and dry in middle of the road.

Still i say it has served me extremely well and i still love it and it is still good enough for me for another 2 years for sure.
(my previous cars Alto and swift both lasted for about 3 years each only)

This coming from me in spite of all the bad experiences means that there surely has to be many other things the Manza was good at
* Exemplary back seat comfort
*Exemplary ride quality for it's segment.
*I have never felt it is under powered for practical Indian roads and highway scenario.
(Agree that it is not the car in which you want to challenge the Ventos and Cruzes, but still you will not be left far behind)
*Good Fuel economy for it's size and weight.
*Good highway speed stability. Steady at speeds of 140kmph.
handles bad roads without much fuss.

Most of the users of Manza will concur with what i say .
Anyways, inside me knows it was not a good seller..

Last edited by madhu33 : 4th December 2014 at 14:55.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 15:52   #1545
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 783
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

This is disappointing news, although not completely unexpected. With the kind of features and quality offered on Zest and presumably Bolt, the number of buyers lining up for Manza would have dropped even further.

Infact Tata had better bring the safari and Aria upto and above the feature set and styling of the new models or they'll suffer too.
That said, I do hope the Manza will be replaced with an upgraded and restyled model soon. It was a good car, extremely vfm.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks