Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd November 2009, 11:57   #166

Default Too Good

@GTO:What a review.You really are setting very high benchmarks for the others.
anupminda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:20   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Well I did not even do that (had to leave for an overseas trip in a hurry in August) .. Not that I encourage it..After a 50-day trip , my car started in the third crank.(Tata Indica Turbo DLG 2006).How's that for reliability!
Nice to hear that, man. I hope potential manza buyers sitting on the fence will find it easier to drop down in the manza's field!
windiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:33   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Is it true that Manza's 90bhp VGT has not been licensed to maruti or any body other than TATA, and that why SX4 has not yet been launched with it? Any gyan on this guys?

YES! thats true only TATA has the licence, due to the TATA-FIAT partnership.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:04   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that Manza's 90bhp VGT has not been licensed to maruti or any body other than TATA, and that why SX4 has not yet been launched with it? Any gyan on this guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
YES! thats true only TATA has the licence, due to the TATA-FIAT partnership.
May not be true, as Suzuki UK has 1.6 Lit with VGT in Swift Sports and SX4 hatches.

Anyway if it is India Specific, sthen Turbo equipments are provided by companies like Honeywell and Suzuki should be able to get VGT designed by Honeywell or other Turbo charger makers.
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:38   #170
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I was just thinking - Tata has less than a year to get the manufacturing quality and A.S.S right.
Apart from Dzire, it will also have to face off with Toyota's new sedan and the Polo Sedan - both of which come from companies celebrated for no-nonsense engineering. If Toyota and VW are able to price their respective products (like for like models with similar features) within Rs50,000 of the Manza or Dzire, then both cars, especially the Manza are in trouble straight away.
You've hit the nail right on the head. The reason that the Manza is such a step ahead of the Indigo is the competitive arena. The 6 - 7 lakh segment has so many international-grade options today! Heck, even the premium hatchback i20 sold 4,000 cars last month. Tata only needs to work on its fit finish, after-sales and eliminating any niggles from showing up in owner reviews. That aside, the Manza is set for the next 5 years.

On the topic of pricing, I highly doubt if Toyota & VW (VW especially) will be able to match a Dzire / Manza on cost of production.

Quote:
Maruti is in the strangest situation. On the one hand it is super aggressive (ask any of their vendors), on the other, they are the LARGEST customer for Fiat engines. Maruti probably uses up 80% of the 1.3 MJD's Indian production. Yet, they don't have access to the 89BHP VGT? I highly doubt it. Maruti is probably waiting, for whatever reason, before launching the SX4 with this engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Way to go GTO but then you've set your own benchmarks in reviewing!
Thanks!

Quote:
Its good to hear that fit & finish levels are way better than the past.
While the older car's fit & finish were enough to cancel out a purchase decision, the Manza's levels are very liveable. Still, some way to go.

Quote:
Now if only the trademark niggles make way for consistency.
Tata needs to prove that it can get it right out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Dare I say the Manza would look rather nice with larger alloys and fatter rubber?
Sure would. But fatter rubber would slow down the performance even more.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:44   #171
BHPian

Finally did my TD of a Quadrajet Manza yesterday and satisfied with it. The engine feels smooth and very refined. I did not feel engine noise inside the cabin.

Slightly OT: Did anyone else participate in the indulge in Manza contest? Any updates on the winners list? It has become a trend for manufacturers to release lot of teasers and competitions before the launch of the car. And they completely forget about it after the launch. No updates even in their twitter or facebook pages too.
grules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:46   #172
BHPian

And I think GTO has hit the nail on the head too.. the manza scores over many other vehicles in the sheer cost of production, apart from the fact that TATA always share the advantage with the customers.. price of the vehicle being very competitive
bigautobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:06   #173
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
Finally did my TD of a Quadrajet Manza yesterday and satisfied with it. The engine feels smooth and very refined. I did not feel engine noise inside the cabin.

Slightly OT: Did anyone else participate in the indulge in Manza contest? Any updates on the winners list? It has become a trend for manufacturers to release lot of teasers and competitions before the launch of the car. And they completely forget about it after the launch. No updates even in their twitter or facebook pages too.
I did get a call last week that was shorlisted after initial rounds & they would be sending me gift while considering me for next round. Yesterday got a cute stopwatch cum SIM card reader gift (~500 INR) with Manza inscribed.

On another note, even after 18 days of booking, sales guy is still saying that vehicle is not punched @factory and once that is done, will take 1 week of transit before it reaches godown here. Claims some other colors have arrived. Anyone else has any updates on their bookings?.

Cheers,
Vijay
vjoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:37   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
I did get a call last week that was shorlisted after initial rounds & they would be sending me gift while considering me for next round. Yesterday got a cute stopwatch cum SIM card reader gift (~500 INR) with Manza inscribed.

Cheers,
Vijay
I also got the same gift from them. it was sent to my residence.
not bad
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:54   #175
xPK
BHPian

Thumbs up

GTO, what an awesome review(and "er")!
After reading each of your review, I find it as "the best possible unbiased review", untill I read the next one.
I have no words for your reviewing skills. I could see you adapting probable customer's perspective before reviewing any car. May be that's one reason behind your unbiased reviews.

And yes, kudos to TATA and our very own Jeremy Clarkson!
xPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:13   #176
BHPian

@Vjoy - what color did you ask?
I was told that Red, Black, minimal grey were having less turn around time.
Others like Breeze blue havent been painted on any vehicle till now.

To me it also looks like TATA weren't prepared for a launch. They did it in hurry-burry to seize Dhanteras and other festival spree.

Else can you imagine, Gaadi is launched in Delhi on 16th october but on 24th in most other cities. Many of the centers still do not have a TD vehicle. And many salesman do not even know full features.

I remember that Ritz was available in abundance on its launch. (VDi). Dealers said only 2 weeks of wait time. Even on petrol Ritz, you could get your vehicle in 3 weeks of time. Although many salesmen quoted 2-3 months to divert sales towards VDI.
rove_drives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:43   #177
BHPian

Booked my car and after waiting for 3 more days, the salesman gets the TD vehicle to my workplace. I took the car to my house to see whether it fits in or not, and the surprise(it DID NOT). So we are changing the size of the gate. Thanks guys, I think it was here(Team Bhp forum) that I had read about it.
By the way, I loved the Diesel and I am pretty sure the petrol will be still smoother and quieter. The salesman said that my car my arrive in 3 weeks( I HOPE).
rite2shree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:36   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rite2shree View Post
I took the car to my house to see whether it fits in or not, and the surprise(it DID NOT). So we are changing the size of the gate.
Hey, this is the first time i've heard this one!

Car does not fit inside gate = gate changed

No offense meant. I'll now look forward to reading your ownership review. My plan to swap the current Indigo for someother sedan is scheduled Q1 next year.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:07   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rove_drives View Post
@Vjoy - what color did you ask?
I was told that Red, Black, minimal grey were having less turn around time.
Others like Breeze blue havent been painted on any vehicle till now.
I was told the same thing about the colours.

Quote:
Booked my car and after waiting for 3 more days, the salesman gets the TD vehicle to my workplace. I took the car to my house to see whether it fits in or not, and the surprise(it DID NOT). So we are changing the size of the gate. Thanks guys, I think it was here(Team Bhp forum) that I had read about it.
By the way, I loved the Diesel and I am pretty sure the petrol will be still smoother and quieter. The salesman said that my car my arrive in 3 weeks( I HOPE).
Congrats on the purchase. Hope you get it soon and give us feedback.

I was expecting you to say " did not fit. So sadly we have canceled the booking and are looking for a car that will fit" . You must really like the Manza lol
-NUT-case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:08   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats

Which model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Hey, this is the first time i've heard this one!

Car does not fit inside gate = gate changed

No offense meant. I'll now look forward to reading your ownership review. My plan to swap the current Indigo for someother sedan is scheduled Q1 next year.
Similar experience, I had to change my gate, demolish half the wall
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote