Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 14th January 2010, 19:22   #691

Default Booked MANZA AURA ABS SAFFIRE - Infinity Black color.

Folks,

Happy New Year everyone. This is my first post in BHP. I recently re-located back to Chennai, India from US after 15 years. Having owned a few Honda cars including the S2000 convertible roadster in the US, I am a staunch/loyal Honda fan. But to start with I was looking for a entry level sedan under 6L and knowing Honda does not have anything in India for under 6L I decided to look for other brands.

After 2 months of research have zeroed in on TATA Manza. ( booked Swift Zxi and have cancelled it after booking the TATA Manza - Thanks to the excellent review /eye opener by GTO. Initially did not even consider TATA due to the taxi image criticism by friends and the quality levels I have seen on Indica's/Sumo's. But after considering/test driving Swift, dZire, Accent , Verna and i10/20, I was impressed by all these in terms of the engines/Finish quality ( big fan of Quality finishes/Reliability that Honda's are known for, but Swift/i10/i20 were hatchbacks and had a teeny trunk space.. and Verna/Dzire/Accent were not good VFM.

After checking out the interior/exterior & test driving the Manza, my initial impressions were exactly the same as GTO's.

Here is my Summary.

Interior Space/Design: A+ ( except for the dead pedal missing which is a big goof up by TATA engineers )
Exterior Looks/Style: A-
Engine/Ride/Gearbox: A- ( the ride was great, but the gearbox especially the second to third was not smooth at all on 2 cars I test drove - thanks to the generous salesman who let me test drive 3 times in a week on Aqua, Aura+ and Aura ABS )
Fit & Finish: B- ( Plastics reflect a lot of NANO hangover. TATA needs to send their Plastic designers/Quality control engineers to Honda/Toyota for some good training )
Value for Money (VFM, a term I learnt from BHP forums :-) = A+

Examples of the POOR "Fit & Finish": The 2 cars that were in the TAFE Showroom inside, had Fuel tank lids not working, Rub rails not aligned right, The Aura ABS petrol car I test drove had a broken trunk latch. The USB/Aux jack cover was truly a 2 Rupee rubber as GTO had mentioned. The Aura+ steering wheel plastic edges were rough and again reflected a poor mould/post flash operation on the plastic parts. The carpet type material on the floor and the rear speakers were so CHEAP. The interior door handles, Light glass, Fluids Lid caps inside the hood reminded of some cheap Chinese toys that you buy on the street.

If only TATA engrs have paid some attention to these small but important details, it would have been very revolutionary.

Bottom line: Overall, I was VERY satisfied with the car . The following factors swung the decision in favor of the manza

- GREAT VFM
- Roomy interiors & Integrated Audio Sys w/ BT
- Sedan w/ AMPLE trunk space
- Great Engines

Anyways, I am eagerly awaiting the delivery schedule of the AURA ABS Saffire Black car - Salesman estimate was 5 weeks. Price was 5.24L ex-showroom. and would have happily paid an additional 25K if they had put in better plastics and carpet on the rear speakers area and paid more attention to the finish/Quality of the latches/lids etc. Bargained Teflon coat + basic accessories ( floor mats/Mud flaps) for free. Agreed to 5.2K for the ext warranty. Now shopping for Insurance.

Planning to add rear sensors + undercoat after delivery. Do we get Splash Guard and Rear-wing Spoiler for Manza yet. TATA motors website does not have a section for Accessories. Can someone recommend aftermarket accessories links ( or phone numbers ).

THANKS A BUNCH TO TEAM_BHP for the insightful reviews/pictures - I will post more information once I get delivery of the car. In the meantime, I would be more than happy to answer other queries regarding my test drive/shopping experience.

Cheers
MSK
cry_sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 01:02   #692
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Congrats buddy, eagerly awaiting the pics !
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 01:14   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_sandiego View Post
Folks,

Happy New Year everyone. This is my first post in BHP. I recently re-located back to Chennai, India from US after 15 years. Having owned a few Honda cars including the S2000 convertible roadster in the US, I am a staunch/loyal Honda fan. But to start with I was looking for a entry level sedan under 6L and knowing Honda does not have anything in India for under 6L I decided to look for other brands.

After 2 months of research have zeroed in on TATA Manza. ( booked Swift Zxi and have cancelled it after booking the TATA Manza - Thanks to the excellent review /eye opener by GTO. Initially did not even consider TATA due to the taxi image criticism by friends and the quality levels I have seen on Indica's/Sumo's. But after considering/test driving Swift, dZire, Accent , Verna and i10/20, I was impressed by all these in terms of the engines/Finish quality ( big fan of Quality finishes/Reliability that Honda's are known for, but Swift/i10/i20 were hatchbacks and had a teeny trunk space.. and Verna/Dzire/Accent were not good VFM.

After checking out the interior/exterior & test driving the Manza, my initial impressions were exactly the same as GTO's.

Here is my Summary.

Interior Space/Design: A+ ( except for the dead pedal missing which is a big goof up by TATA engineers )
Exterior Looks/Style: A-
Engine/Ride/Gearbox: A- ( the ride was great, but the gearbox especially the second to third was not smooth at all on 2 cars I test drove - thanks to the generous salesman who let me test drive 3 times in a week on Aqua, Aura+ and Aura ABS )
Fit & Finish: B- ( Plastics reflect a lot of NANO hangover. TATA needs to send their Plastic designers/Quality control engineers to Honda/Toyota for some good training )
Value for Money (VFM, a term I learnt from BHP forums :-) = A+

Examples of the POOR "Fit & Finish": The 2 cars that were in the TAFE Showroom inside, had Fuel tank lids not working, Rub rails not aligned right, The Aura ABS petrol car I test drove had a broken trunk latch. The USB/Aux jack cover was truly a 2 Rupee rubber as GTO had mentioned. The Aura+ steering wheel plastic edges were rough and again reflected a poor mould/post flash operation on the plastic parts. The carpet type material on the floor and the rear speakers were so CHEAP. The interior door handles, Light glass, Fluids Lid caps inside the hood reminded of some cheap Chinese toys that you buy on the street.

If only TATA engrs have paid some attention to these small but important details, it would have been very revolutionary.

Bottom line: Overall, I was VERY satisfied with the car . The following factors swung the decision in favor of the manza

- GREAT VFM
- Roomy interiors & Integrated Audio Sys w/ BT
- Sedan w/ AMPLE trunk space
- Great Engines

Anyways, I am eagerly awaiting the delivery schedule of the AURA ABS Saffire Black car - Salesman estimate was 5 weeks. Price was 5.24L ex-showroom. and would have happily paid an additional 25K if they had put in better plastics and carpet on the rear speakers area and paid more attention to the finish/Quality of the latches/lids etc. Bargained Teflon coat + basic accessories ( floor mats/Mud flaps) for free. Agreed to 5.2K for the ext warranty. Now shopping for Insurance.

Planning to add rear sensors + undercoat after delivery. Do we get Splash Guard and Rear-wing Spoiler for Manza yet. TATA motors website does not have a section for Accessories. Can someone recommend aftermarket accessories links ( or phone numbers ).

THANKS A BUNCH TO TEAM_BHP for the insightful reviews/pictures - I will post more information once I get delivery of the car. In the meantime, I would be more than happy to answer other queries regarding my test drive/shopping experience.

Cheers
MSK
Congrats MSK. Having driven a ever reliable honda it would be great to hear about your ownership experience.
airbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 09:49   #694
Awaiting Email Confirmation

congratulations MSK on your choice. One more to the Manza family..and welcome home.

No we do not get any accessories on Manza yet.

cheers,
Vijay
vjoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 15:37   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Congrats MSK on booking Manza.
Having driven the car for just more than 1000 Kms i must say really liked the space inside.
And its Good FE of 14-15 kmpl within City adds to the VFM.
I Got Rear sensors for 4K. Looking for seat Covers now (will be available in Reliance Autozone for 6.5K-Art leather).
Akhil@Bengaluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 10:19   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishparekh View Post
Nokia E51 sound-not-getting-conveyed-thru-mic issue.....took my car to Tata dealer along with Blaupunkt representative. Another Manza was there for the same reason - incoming calls are audible but outgoing voice not getting conveyed thru mic. After lots of tests & interchanging of systems etc. the problem was identified as faulty mic - in both the cars ! A seperate mic when attached to the system worked fine. The Blaupunkt rep said that it wasnt their systems fault, and that the wiring might have got damaged and hence the mic wasnt working. So basically I have to coordinate with the Tata dealer and get the mic replaced. Wonder how long thats going to take....
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishparekh View Post
Nokia E51 pairing to Blue5.....well, took the car with faulty mic to another dealer, and lo - it worked without any issues !!! No meddling with the wires or even opening the trims. It just started working by itself. I'm skeptical that it may stop again any moment - pretty adhoc sort of working here.
@manishparekh: My experiences exactly. The first time I did it, it did not seem to work, the second time, it did. And about that Tata rep, please do tell him that other users' E51 works, and so did yours. I am fed up with representatives not having any clue of what they are selling(had a similar problem with a Voltas AC, it gives too much noise, and the rep's face looks like this : ).

Please notify on this thread about any other issue you face, I'll see the same on my car. Who knows what other problems we are going to face .

BTW, can you please tell WHERE the guy installed the separate mic?
introvert7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 18:15   #697

Thanks all.

Akhil, When you say FE of 14-15 kmpl in city, I am assuming you own petrol version. That's great considering my Santro petrol gives only that much approx.

Also can you throw some light on these rear sensors and Leather seat covers - What to look for /do's/Don'ts. How do they wire the rear sensors ( hopefully they do not have to make any holes? )

thanks
MSK
cry_sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 19:44   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Kingpin, I am taking the delivery of my Manza petrol from Concorde this week, what other freebies is Concorde offering? On my car they have agreed to give me only floor mats and mudflaps.
Viper21, Could you tell me how you booked the Manza with Concorde Bangalore. The sales rep that met me told me i had to pay an amount of (744665) to concorde. However i was under the assumption that first we paid the booking fee and then a few days before the actual delivery the balance (invoice) amount mentioned in this case 7,44,665 for the AURA (abs) d-white. Please can you tell me if this is the procedure, How much was the booking fee and secondly also if this isn't the procedure what is the procedure then. Sorry to bother you with these questions. I am held up at Mumbai and will have to send my Wife to Concorde on Monday to book the Car.
kingpin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 21:18   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
Firstly,congrats on your new car.

Secondly, Yes Viper21, thats about it. Mud flaps,Mats and he also was threw in a perfume after a lot of shameless hassling. Looks like the manza sales numbers have made them extremely confident.
And if i may ask a q, Why the petrol and not the diesel?
Thanks Kingpin -
I was initially looking at the Vista quadrajet, but my running at the moment does not warrant a Diesel vehicle at all. I did all my research and wanted to convince myself to buy a diesel but the running isnt very much. I love the Q'jet torque though !!

But i think if i had a lakh and a half more at my disposal, i would have blindly bought the q'jet. Sadly Vitamin M matters. For now gotta settle with the Petrol.

Is your Manza a Q'Jet 90?
The sales numbers may be good, but not many Manzas on the road in Bangalore, I have just seen totally 3 or 4. Wonder where are all these guys !!
Viper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 21:58   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
Viper21, Could you tell me how you booked the Manza with Concorde Bangalore. The sales rep that met me told me i had to pay an amount of (744665) to concorde. However i was under the assumption that first we paid the booking fee and then a few days before the actual delivery the balance (invoice) amount mentioned in this case 7,44,665 for the AURA (abs) d-white. Please can you tell me if this is the procedure, How much was the booking fee and secondly also if this isn't the procedure what is the procedure then. Sorry to bother you with these questions. I am held up at Mumbai and will have to send my Wife to Concorde on Monday to book the Car.
Hey i got my Manza QJ from Concorde Bangalore (dairy circle).
Had paid a booking amount of 25K and once the car reached bangalore and Pre delivery checks were done then paid the full amount, and within One week got the car.

Please check again with Concorde.

If required PM me i will give u contact person with whom i was in touch for my car.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:36   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all.

Akhil, When you say FE of 14-15 kmpl in city, I am assuming you own petrol version. That's great considering my Santro petrol gives only that much approx.

Also can you throw some light on these rear sensors and Leather seat covers - What to look for /do's/Don'ts. How do they wire the rear sensors ( hopefully they do not have to make any holes? )

thanks
MSK
Sorry to disappoint you buddy, but your car's bumper will have to be drilled to install parking sensors.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:46   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhil@Bengaluru View Post
Hey i got my Manza QJ from Concorde Bangalore (dairy circle).
Had paid a booking amount of 25K and once the car reached bangalore and Pre delivery checks were done then paid the full amount, and within One week got the car.

Please check again with Concorde.

If required PM me i will give u contact person with whom i was in touch for my car.
Kingpin, I did the same, paid 25K to book the car, had to pay 5 more for loan purposes, PDI'd the car today (very helpful PDI checklist i have to say) and paid the remaining money after i was satisfied with the PDI. You can get in touch with Parikshit at concorde he assisted me quite well.
Viper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 10:29   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Kingpin, I did the same, paid 25K to book the car, had to pay 5 more for loan purposes, PDI'd the car today (very helpful PDI checklist i have to say) and paid the remaining money after i was satisfied with the PDI. You can get in touch with Parikshit at concorde he assisted me quite well.
Parikshit was the same person who helped me also.
His number is 09739432926
Old 17th January 2010, 21:18   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Sorry to disappoint you buddy, but your car's bumper will have to be drilled to install parking sensors.
but I clearly recall reading somewhere in the forum nowadays strap-on / cling-on parking sensors are also installable!? Now where did that link go...
abhi413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 21:41   #705
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
but I clearly recall reading somewhere in the forum nowadays strap-on / cling-on parking sensors are also installable!? Now where did that link go...
But I read in some forums that the bumpers had to be drilled... But strap on sensors may be available too. Im not too sure.