Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 25th January 2010, 18:49   #751
BHPian

I have been looking at Dzire for long, and I can vouch for the fact that the interiors are definitely not exciting or "grabbing me by the throat". The plastics look cheap and hollow, something that put me off enough to wait for the Manza'a launch just to compare them both. And finally I did buy the Manza.
manishparekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 18:57   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
....Is it not an unreasonable expectation just for 30,000 more ? ...
Eye-catching interiors need not always involve more expensive raw material. Just a better finish to the plastics used and imaginative colour combinations etc can go a long way. Part of the differential can also be used up for better QC.

YES TATA, we need more stringent QC please!

The Dew White Saffire Aura Manza on display at Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle this weekend had its horn pad broken and jutting out at an odd angle. A display piece giving way because of a few over-zealous touches by curious visitors?!! Iam sure no one was allowed to have a go at it with a hammer.

Quality is expensive - reason why i20 and City look better finished and are priced higher in their respective categories.

And oh btw, i have no problems with Dzire interior quality . Its only the exterior design that makes me go .
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 19:17   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
And oh btw, i have no problems with Dzire interior quality . Its only the exterior design that makes me go .
So why exactly it starts rattling IMHO that counts as part of Quality. Decreasing clearance tolerance of fittings will reduce rattle but jack up overall costs as number of rejected Parts Per million will increase someone working for component suppliers may verify this. Anyway I do not find any particular point to get excited about in Swift or Desire interiors but each to his own.

Quote:
Eye-catching interiors need not always involve more expensive raw material. Just a better finish to the plastics used and imaginative colour combinations etc can go a long way. Part of the differential can also be used up for better QC.
May be you know more about costing etc , I am anyday OK with better mechanical ride and handling over plastics if I have to choose one at the cost of other. Of-course it would not hurt if both are provided in same budget but till now no manufacturer has done this in our country.

Quote:
Amen
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 20:38   #754

All,

I got a call from my dealer saying that my manza saffire Aura ABS is loaded and will be ready in 5-7 days. Is this a fair estimate.? I have asked for Engine # etc and he said he will get back to me with that. Also he was emphasizing that i get my payment ready. I have told him that i will pay only after visual inspection of the car and making sure everything works. What is the usual procedure here?

What other things do i need to get ready for delivery? Please advise as this is my first car buying exp in India.

Cheers
MSK
cry_sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 23:13   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine, if Manza were to cost Rs.30,000/- more for each of the variants, and if the fit/finish levels were to be atleast of the Dzire levels (i mean the plastic quality, knobs, levers, dash trim, etc,etc), wouldn't it make Manza an every better VFM car?
YES, YES, YES!!!
You may be right, but TM Market research numbers might have shown the otherway. Let us give some time to see who is right or wrong. If there is no demand after 6/7 months, we have to agree you are absolutely right. But if it is other way, it just proves TM was right and you are wrong. Let us comeback in Jun2010 and see the sales figures....
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 23:46   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_sandiego View Post
All,

I got a call from my dealer saying that my manza saffire Aura ABS is loaded and will be ready in 5-7 days. Is this a fair estimate.? I have asked for Engine # etc and he said he will get back to me with that. Also he was emphasizing that i get my payment ready. I have told him that i will pay only after visual inspection of the car and making sure everything works. What is the usual procedure here?

What other things do i need to get ready for delivery? Please advise as this is my first car buying exp in India.

Cheers
MSK
Look into the article in the below link from Team-BHP. This should help you.

If there are anything else, the experts will pitch-in. Happy buying.

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - On Buying - Pre-delivery Inspection & Check List
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 10:47   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
You may be right, but TM Market research numbers might have shown the otherway. Let us give some time to see who is right or wrong. If there is no demand after 6/7 months, we have to agree you are absolutely right. But if it is other way, it just proves TM was right and you are wrong. Let us comeback in Jun2010 and see the sales figures....
Sir - you make a good point. But either way, i will be disappointed.

If iam proved right - that is manza is a sales disaster - it will be unfair to a really lovely package - GTO's review and most of the user experience here confirms what a great VFM this car is.

If iam proved wrong - that is people accept manza as-is and flock to buy it, we will continue to get excellent cars from TATA with totally lifeless and jaded interiors far into the foreseeable future.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:31   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Sir - you make a good point. But either way, i will be disappointed.

If iam proved right - that is manza is a sales disaster - it will be unfair to a really lovely package - GTO's review and most of the user experience here confirms what a great VFM this car is.

If iam proved wrong - that is people accept manza as-is and flock to buy it, we will continue to get excellent cars from TATA with totally lifeless and jaded interiors far into the foreseeable future.
Boss ultimately what's your opinion and conclusion. You are always a cat on the wall. Never understand which side you are gonna jump.

Never go by the sales figures. Don't understand a car that doesn't sell as a cheap product.Hyundai Getz was a good car, why didn't it sell.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 15:46   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Boss ultimately what's your opinion and conclusion. You are always a cat on the wall. Never understand which side you are gonna jump.

Never go by the sales figures. Don't understand a car that doesn't sell as a cheap product.Hyundai Getz was a good car, why didn't it sell.
Looking at the sales of the HONDA JAZZ one thing is for sure, you just cannot rely only on interiors/style and an decent engine. Pricing is extremely important too.
I20 is a little overpriced but they managed to get in the sales numbers because of the over priced Jazz, and to be honest even Hyundai didn't expect this kind of numbers for the I20. Market research gone wrong? or is it just too tough to call??
So, i wouldn't jump and say TATA got it wrong.It is a fantastic attempt car in the Entry sedan sapce, almost a game changer. The others will have to react. and i think that is what everybody wants ain't it? Maruti/hyundai has been milking the Indian customers for over a decade now,ENough it is time for something different.
kingpin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 17:30   #760
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
Looking at the sales of the HONDA JAZZ one thing is for sure, you just cannot rely only on interiors/style and an decent engine. Pricing is extremely important too.
I20 is a little overpriced but they managed to get in the sales numbers because of the over priced Jazz, and to be honest even Hyundai didn't expect this kind of numbers for the I20. Market research gone wrong? or is it just too tough to call??
So, i wouldn't jump and say TATA got it wrong.It is a fantastic attempt car in the Entry sedan sapce, almost a game changer. The others will have to react. and i think that is what everybody wants ain't it? Maruti/hyundai has been milking the Indian customers for over a decade now,ENough it is time for something different.
Actually the over pricing of Hyundai i20 got diluted with Honda's absurd pricing of Jazz. Had the pricing of Jazz been on par with the current selling prices of i20 Honda Jazz would be hot selling now and that would have resulted in realistic price correction of i20 and Cusomers would have benefitted a LOT with good hatch back cars at affordable prices.

Indian car Market desperately in need of a bunch of small cars with good looks , reilable, safety and comfort features, at reasonable prices. i20 had all except higher prices and sells with no Indian competition nearing what it offers as a package. While I am happy the way Jazz had gone. Competition must result CUSTOMERs benefitted. Honda's JAZZ pricing was a very bad idea for Indian market
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 23:01   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I totally agree, We cannot judge whether a car is good or bad by the sales numbers. But a manufacturer could determine whether the product is success or failure by the sales figures. If it does not rack up in sales and can not make profit, what is the use in producing them at the first place. Also keep in mind, TM is a public company and the management is answerable to share holders, not just customers/owners.
Old 27th January 2010, 07:45   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled vehicle models - Yahoo! Finance
Quote:
Toyota is suspending U.S. sales of eight car and truck models to fix sticking gas pedals and halting production lines at plants from Texas to Canada to deal with the problem, the latest to confront the world's No. 1 automaker.

The suspended sales, announced Tuesday, involve a significant portion of Toyota Motor Co.'s fleet and some of its most popular vehicles, including the Camry and Corolla. As part of the plan, Toyota is halting some production at five assembly plants beginning the week of Feb. 1 "to assess and coordinate activities."

There are 2.3 million vehicles involved in the recall, which was announced last week
Toyota is known for quality. Still issues like this could happen.
Old 27th January 2010, 09:55   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Toyota halts US sales of 8 recalled vehicle models - Yahoo! Finance
I wonder what we "INDIANS" would do if this had happened to TATA. sad to see us worship japanese and Korean cars and refuse to even give TATA's a small token of appreciation. People getting out of the car coz the fuse box opened, Foot well, taking examples from the previous Indica V1, the list is endless.
I wonder whether the same amount of stringent "quality" is looked at when people by non-tata cars.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2010 at 18:11. Reason: Absolutely no inappropriate terms on Team-BHP please
Old 27th January 2010, 11:11   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid using rare instances of Toyota glitches as an excuse to defend the shoddy TATA quality.

There are senior tbhians who will agree that TATA uses humans as guniea pigs to test out their cars (greenhorn for example). Please search for them on the various ownership threads.

I think we are deviating from the topic here anyway. There are other threads for tata-bashing/defending.
Old 27th January 2010, 19:10   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid using rare instances of Toyota glitches as an excuse to defend the shoddy TATA quality.

There are senior tbhians who will agree that TATA uses humans as guniea pigs to test out their cars (greenhorn for example). Please search for them on the various ownership threads.

I think we are deviating from the topic here anyway. There are other threads for tata-bashing/defending.
Nobody is defending TATA, maybe you should try reading things a little carefully next time.
My question was whether we indians would let TATA get away with something like the "rare toyota" episode.?? Or whether we apply the same strict "quality" measure when we buy cars from other car makers.?? I can bet that people would q up to buy the Indica or any other TATA car if it had the Honda/Toyota/Maruti badge on it rather than the "Indian" TATA badge.