Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 11:35   #1921
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 554 Times
Arrow Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
The only important shortcoming is its weak ac which can't bear d afternoon sun in Mumbai.
Weak AC in Beat? Unbelievable! Try cleaning your AC filter (it's a DIY - under glove box). If filter is completely drenched in dust and muck, change it. Check AC compressor/gas and pipe line for any leak. May be dust/muck had accumulated in the AC blower ducts too.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 18:18   #1922
BHPian
 
informmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Banglore/Madras
Posts: 218
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Weak AC in Beat? Unbelievable! Try cleaning your AC filter (it's a DIY - under glove box). If filter is completely drenched in dust and muck, change it. Check AC compressor/gas and pipe line for any leak. May be dust/muck had accumulated in the AC blower ducts too.

Cheers!

Vinu
I had the same issue sometimes back..when I checked with the filter in the glove box and it was loaded with leaves.. But I have not cleaned it unlike what you have done, you suggested me to do that, but since the car is not with me, I could not try that option, but will do it next month.. Even after just dusting it, I feel the power of AC in my car is less than mentioned by all others..I don't really know the reason. I have already checked it with the service once last month, but they could not find any issues, temperature was perfect, no problems with lines too. Instead of worrying on that, I let it as it is..may be after doing the clean up of the filter with water, it should ease out is what I believe..

Last edited by informmaha : 13th July 2011 at 18:19.
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:42   #1923
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 334
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Guys, even i am having the weak AC problem in Beat in Mumbai. Last time i had reported the problem to the SA, he said that the Beat comes configured with setting to throw a lower cooling effect. he then adjusted the setting and now at 18 degrees the cooling is phenomenal. It is so much so that i tend to increase the temperature to 21 within 10-15 minutes depending on the heat inside the car. I am still not completely satisfied
Mr.Beat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 06:59   #1924
BHPian
 
rawkeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat
Guys, even i am having the weak AC problem in Beat in Mumbai. Last time i had reported the problem to the SA, he said that the Beat comes configured with setting to throw a lower cooling effect. he then adjusted the setting and now at 18 degrees the cooling is phenomenal. It is so much so that i tend to increase the temperature to 21 within 10-15 minutes depending on the heat inside the car. I am still not completely satisfied
Thank you guys for your replies. I will check with the service guys as my car is due for its 20k service. Last time the cooling had temperorly improved after service . Maybe its truely an issue of dusty Mumbai roads
rawkeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 19:19   #1925
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 655
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

I have been an owner of the Beat for the past 3 months now and absolutely love the car. The only problem is I have been getting really bad mileage out of the car. Only about 8-9kmpl !!

I was getting 11-13 kmpl in the first 3 tankfulls but after that it just dropped all of a sudden to 8-9 kmpl. My driving style is pretty relaxed and I drive to maximise mileage where possible. I have been using petrol from the same two bunks and using the auto top off tankfull to tankfull method. Even tried premium fuels and system G but they made no difference.
This is 100% city with AC on 90% of the time on low fan speed and 22 degrees. What could have happened to make my mileage drop so suddenly and by quite a bit ?

I mentioned it before the 1st service but they said that it was because the car was new. It has been 2 months since then and no improvements as such.

What could it be ?
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 19:56   #1926
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 474
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I have been an owner of the Beat for the past 3 months now and absolutely love the car. The only problem is I have been getting really bad mileage out of the car. Only about 8-9kmpl !!
What could it be ?
What is the tyre pressure reading you maintain? How often do you check for tyre pressure?
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 11:27   #1927
BHPian
 
vivekm85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 31
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I have been an owner of the Beat for the past 3 months now and absolutely love the car. The only problem is I have been getting really bad mileage out of the car. Only about 8-9kmpl !!

I was getting 11-13 kmpl in the first 3 tankfulls but after that it just dropped all of a sudden to 8-9 kmpl. My driving style is pretty relaxed and I drive to maximise mileage where possible. I have been using petrol from the same two bunks and using the auto top off tankfull to tankfull method. Even tried premium fuels and system G but they made no difference.
This is 100% city with AC on 90% of the time on low fan speed and 22 degrees. What could have happened to make my mileage drop so suddenly and by quite a bit ?

I mentioned it before the 1st service but they said that it was because the car was new. It has been 2 months since then and no improvements as such.

What could it be ?
Hi Mortis,

My Beat LT had completed 8000 kms and 10 months right now. Please see my feedback on this below.

In city:

Before 1st service, i used to get a mileage of 11-12 kmpl in city w.o ac and 10 with ac. And once reached 3000 km it shows some progress in the mileage and reached 13 kmpl in city with 50% distance in ac. My second service is over by last February and after that it shows the mileage of 14+ in city with 50% ac on. While i checked my mileage in June, i got an impressive mileage of 15.5 kmpl in city with70% ac on.

In Highways:

I drove my blacky for around 400 kms in the very first month in highway on the way to Alleppey. And while checked the mileage figures i got a mileage of 16.7 kmpl (that too before 1st service). Sounds cool, right?

And the second drive in highway had done recently, that is from and to between Trivandrum and Kochi ( a distance of total 500 km in total). And this was done when my tacho shows a km reading of 7000. I checked the mileage and i could get a result of 18.9 with ac on for around 400kms.
vivekm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 20:31   #1928
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 655
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

My tyre pressure is always maintained at 32 and I check it every week when I do my weekly top up.

vivek : That seems to be quite an impressive improvement after the 2nd service ! Lets see how things go with my car
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 12:33   #1929
BHPian
 
vivekm85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 31
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
My tyre pressure is always maintained at 32 and I check it every week when I do my weekly top up.

vivek : That seems to be quite an impressive improvement after the 2nd service ! Lets see how things go with my car
Hi Mortis,

I used to maintain the tyre pressure 33 for my car. And it should be checked on a weekly basis. And the fuel am using is ordinary petrol.

Your car is just 3 months old. Hope things will turn soon as my experience reveals that. You must try a long distance drive for around 600-800 kms and calculate the mileage then. The engine is eager for that drive.
vivekm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 21:00   #1930
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekm85 View Post
Hi Mortis,

My Beat LT had completed 8000 kms and 10 months right now. Please see my feedback on this below.

In city:

Before 1st service, i used to get a mileage of 11-12 kmpl in city w.o ac and 10 with ac. And once reached 3000 km it shows some progress in the mileage and reached 13 kmpl in city with 50% distance in ac. My second service is over by last February and after that it shows the mileage of 14+ in city with 50% ac on. While i checked my mileage in June, i got an impressive mileage of 15.5 kmpl in city with70% ac on.

In Highways:

I drove my blacky for around 400 kms in the very first month in highway on the way to Alleppey. And while checked the mileage figures i got a mileage of 16.7 kmpl (that too before 1st service). Sounds cool, right?

And the second drive in highway had done recently, that is from and to between Trivandrum and Kochi ( a distance of total 500 km in total). And this was done when my tacho shows a km reading of 7000. I checked the mileage and i could get a result of 18.9 with ac on for around 400kms.
Hi Vivek,
Are you still getting the same FE?I just finished 9800KM in my beat LT.The FE seems to be real low.In city I think I am getting 8-9 Km/L with occasional AC.Please let me know your status.Is it a common issue with Beat?I am really desp with this issue.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 22:57   #1931
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 334
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi white-rabbit, i have also completed 6100kms on Beat LT and with the AC on highways i am getting constant and consistent FE of 16-19 Kmpl depending upon the AC usage. In fact the FE has NEVER dropped below 14 for me
Mr.Beat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 23:34   #1932
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Me, just completed the 15k service. Done oil and filter change. I have updated the experience in my ownership thread.
I am getting an average steady FE of 16kmpl..

@white-rabbit:
There can be 3 reasons for lower FE.
- Driving style and conditions
- Tyre pressure
- Some issues with the vehicle

So you can get the tyre pressure checked and also get the FE checked with somebody else in the driver seat to eliminate the 1st 2 reasons.
If both gives the same result, then get the car checked with GM service.
salbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 00:25   #1933
BHPian
 
vivekm85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 31
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Hi Vivek,
Are you still getting the same FE?I just finished 9800KM in my beat LT.The FE seems to be real low.In city I think I am getting 8-9 Km/L with occasional AC.Please let me know your status.Is it a common issue with Beat?I am really desp with this issue.
Yes Whiterabbit. I used to check the FE for every 1000 km and last checked it on June first week. After that i came to Pune. In June, i was getting a fuel efficiency of around15.3 km/l with occassional ac. But to maintain the interior beauty, i always closed down the windows and drive it.

I think you have to maintain your driving style. In beat, you can drive in 4th gear in normal traffic and in b2b traffic you can go ahead with the 3rd gear. My relative in chevrolet told me to go ahead with the top gear always in which the situation demands. So the gear down is a rare thing for me while i was driving. try it out. may be you can feel some sort of progress.

From my experience i used to drive in 4th gear in 30km/hr speed. IMO, please try that also and let us know the feedback.
vivekm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:21   #1934
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida, Gurgaon
Posts: 438
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Hi Vivek,
Are you still getting the same FE?I just finished 9800KM in my beat LT.The FE seems to be real low.In city I think I am getting 8-9 Km/L with occasional AC.Please let me know your status.Is it a common issue with Beat?I am really desp with this issue.
Go and get your Beat Checked, It might be a problem associated with Car and may not be your driving style as such. Most of my friends who have a beat and drive in congested cities like, Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and even Allahabad claim to have Fuel efficiency of 16+, in-fact there is just one friend who says it is 14.5 KmPL. All these guys had a problem on FE for first 500 KM, after the second service they claimed a mileage of 12.5+ and after 5K service they claim 16+ mileage with full AC on. IMO even the worst case driving will not lead to so much drop of FE which is happening in your case. To me yours is the first case i have seen who has such a bad FE after logging in 9800 kms. (even my Uva gives 13+ which is a SOHC Engine)


Go and get it checked to Cheve A.S.S. service stations, take a drive with their drivers and if necessary call up their Regional service guys.

Last edited by anu21v : 22nd July 2011 at 11:24.
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:33   #1935
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Thanks guys,

To add up,Mine is a kind of relaxed driving.I live in Bangalore.I was getting 17+ at the time i bought this car.But when i took it for 1000km checkup,I just told them pick up seems to be low.Then Chevy guys said that there is an ECU update I have to do for the Gear module,and they also sail upto certain manufacturing date,chevrolet is recomenting that update.

After that update,Pickup became good(Awsome) but mileage fell. .I told the service advisor about the mileage drop happened when i took it for 5000 km and 10000 km service (actually my odo stands at 9800).They told me they have checked all the sensors,cleaned few of them and the mileage should pick up now.

After this service,The car is pretty smooth,AC is superb all vibrations(Rear door noise) stopped.But again mileage..I am just checking it.But looks no good.On Mysore-Bangalore Highway,before this 10000 service I was getting 13 km/L.(One question: How much petrol does it indicate for one bar in the fuel meter?My guess is 2L)
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks