Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 12:26   #2416
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Why would you want to upgrade, don't you think the stock lights are adequate enough?

Have any of you changed the rear bumper? The SA told me that it costs 5000 INR including the painting. I felt that it is too much
Its very much adequate on city and rural areas, but when you are on high ways its a different story, there's nothing adequate against the 4X130W high beam riding morons Thats the only situation where the dual beam flashes are deliberately ignored. Sometimes its impossible to see anything on road once the roads are wet. More than that am pampered with HID on projectors on my bike and once I get few days break, am planning that also, may be the first Beat with HID projectors.

At the time of purchase, I was told that front bumper will cost around 3K including painting and 2K for rear bumper. Now things must've changed.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 13:02   #2417
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

I had question regarding the Climate Control on the Beat.

Now, when I put it on auto with re-circulation on, it keeps switching between re-circulation and the other thing. Which is fine, but when you are in bottle-neck traffic with trucks and buses polluting galore you suddenly cough up a lot of smoke inside the car.

Is there a possibility of having only re-circulation with auto without the system changing re-circulation on/off?? (sorry, if this has been addressed before)

The other option obviously is to switch off auto and use re-circulation in manual mode. But is it possible in auto-mode?

Last edited by superutp : 9th January 2012 at 13:05.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 13:49   #2418
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Back Home after getting my Chevy Beat LT Petrol, absolutely love it, drove 20kms back from Kropex.

While Ill not go on about how the car is etc(probably write an ownership thread in a few days) I have one slight problem with the car.

I noticed that when the car goes over bad bumps, broken roads and the like, the rear end of the car makes a *thud* sound. The front goes over smoothly with no issues. The sound seems like its coming from the centre and not on the rear wheel left/right sides (but I could be wrong).

Not sure whats making the sound. After I reached home and parked, I opened the boot and checked the spare tyre and tools area, the hard thermocol (whatever that grey thing is) embedded toolset had moved a bit over the spare tyre but not really sure if that could be the cause of the thud.

I haven't driven again, but maybe the next time I go out ill keep some weight in the boot to check.

In the meanwhile does anyone have any ideas?
Mosly it shuld be the doors.From Day one,I have sounds from rear,which they never fixed.But Thud sound was fixed after they introduced the collar.Just some rattling exist now.Why dont you check the two rubber bush at boot lid,adjust the spacing etc?

Last edited by white-rabbit : 9th January 2012 at 13:54.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:17   #2419
BHPian
 
yogisays0909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 495
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
. You've HID on Esteem, so try it on Beat, you'll come to know that. But being with a round head lamp you can expect better results than Esteem but rest is hard facts.
Actually i sold of the used HID's of my Esteem, i sold off both the H3 and the H4, planning to get a new one for the new car. My esteem had a H4 Hi-L0 Phillips HID, flashing them wasn't an issue.
But i agree the stock bulbs and lamps are effective enough and powerfull, HID's and bulb upgrade its just cosmetic. I have a spare bulb 100/90W which i can simply replace but a bit scared wont it harm the lamps?
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:20   #2420
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Even i had the same noise issue,every pothole garr garr garr noise. when i bought the car @ 6K kms, did appx 3.5Kms in 10 Days and gave the car for 2nd Service, i didnt even mention the *** guys about the noise, they took a test drive and this sound was mentioned on the service sheet and when i took the delivery they said the sound was of the dikkie and its now been sorted.
How did he fix it?I still have that irritating Grrrr sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Its very much adequate on city and rural areas, but when you are on high ways its a different story, there's nothing adequate against the 4X130W high beam riding morons Thats the only situation where the dual beam flashes are deliberately ignored. Sometimes its impossible to see anything on road once the roads are wet. More than that am pampered with HID on projectors on my bike and once I get few days break, am planning that also, may be the first Beat with HID projectors.

At the time of purchase, I was told that front bumper will cost around 3K including painting and 2K for rear bumper. Now things must've changed.
Sorry Sajjit,My friend has already tried fixing HID in beat and he used that for few months,finally went back to halogens.He was getting some issues like,fog build up etc.I met him at the SC and had a little chat with him.He said about water buildup in headlights.I think the guy who opened the headlights for him,could not put it back properly.

Here in bangalore,front bumper+painting will cost you 6500/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Actually i sold of the used HID's of my Esteem, i sold off both the H3 and the H4, planning to get a new one for the new car. My esteem had a H4 Hi-L0 Phillips HID, flashing them wasn't an issue.
But i agree the stock bulbs and lamps are effective enough and powerfull, HID's and bulb upgrade its just cosmetic. I have a spare bulb 100/90W which i can simply replace but a bit scared wont it harm the lamps?
Go for OSRAM NIGHT BRAKER PLUS. Our friend,Salbin suggested those to me,I tried and I am extremely satisfied.I had replaced it for my Alto,Beat and my friend's Honda city.Its realy good.It will cost you 1150/- but really worth it.You dont have to worry about the power rating too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I had question regarding the Climate Control on the Beat.

Now, when I put it on auto with re-circulation on, it keeps switching between re-circulation and the other thing. Which is fine, but when you are in bottle-neck traffic with trucks and buses polluting galore you suddenly cough up a lot of smoke inside the car.

Is there a possibility of having only re-circulation with auto without the system changing re-circulation on/off?? (sorry, if this has been addressed before)

The other option obviously is to switch off auto and use re-circulation in manual mode. But is it possible in auto-mode?
When you put it in auto mode,the full system goes auto.It depends on different parameters to choose recirculation on/off and you cannot control it.Only thing you can do is dis engage auto when you feel to put in re-circulation and later whent it is good to go,you can switch to auto.There is no harm in doing so.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th January 2012 at 14:56. Reason: Merging posts
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:52   #2421
BHPian
 
yogisays0909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 495
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

I have noticed that when i switch on the ignition i hear some kind of noise, like some electric thing ghuunnnnnnn thik sound kinda thing which works with the heat indicator.
and also some times a whistle kinda sound from the engine, dont know where it comes from. Do you guys too face any such weird sounds?
yogisays0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:55   #2422
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
I have noticed that when i switch on the ignition i hear some kind of noise, like some electric thing ghuunnnnnnn thik sound kinda thing which works with the heat indicator.
and also some times a whistle kinda sound from the engine, dont know where it comes from. Do you guys too face any such weird sounds?
When you switch on ignition,you will hear the petrol pump running sound,something like a wooosh sound,which is normal.But I have noticed that when I keep the bonet open and switch off the engine,approximately after 30 second,I hear some weird sonds.I never took it seriously.This time I will check with SA.
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:28   #2423
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Actually i sold of the used HID's of my Esteem, i sold off both the H3 and the H4, planning to get a new one for the new car. My esteem had a H4 Hi-L0 Phillips HID, flashing them wasn't an issue.
But i agree the stock bulbs and lamps are effective enough and powerfull, HID's and bulb upgrade its just cosmetic. I have a spare bulb 100/90W which i can simply replace but a bit scared wont it harm the lamps?
I was wondering how come you'd no issues in flashing with a HID kit which needs warm up time. Initial flashing from a HID will not get noticed by everyone as its too fast to get noticed. IMO, flashing has to be very visible as some times it can be a life saver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Sorry Sajjit,My friend has already tried fixing HID in beat and he used that for few months,finally went back to halogens.He was getting some issues like,fog build up etc.I met him at the SC and had a little chat with him.He said about water buildup in headlights.I think the guy who opened the headlights for him,could not put it back properly.

Here in bangalore,front bumper+painting will cost you 6500/-
What was the CT he opted? If its something around 6000K and above it will be a show off piece when the weather is good and during fogs and rain you can't see a thing on the road. My first piece of HID was on 6000K whch was a waste of money during rains, even the stock halogen was far far better than that.

This Xmas I've utilized it at its full throttle, I've put it inside of a white star, and every one was asking me what kind of bulb it was, so powerful, colorful and nicely complementing the white paper star.

Ask your friend to check for the dust cover made of rubber seated properly behind the HL assy, HID conversion to stock reflectors as simple as replacing the bulb except the ballast & wiring harness part. It can be the moisture in the atmosphere is getting inside, HID won't heat up like halogens once its in full brightness so it won't evaporate the moisture inside the HL assy as fast as halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Go for OSRAM NIGHT BRAKER PLUS. Our friend,Salbin suggested those to me,I tried and I am extremely satisfied.I had replaced it for my Alto,Beat and my friend's Honda city.Its realy good.It will cost you 1150/- but really worth it.You dont have to worry about the power rating too.
Yes its a just PnP upgrade but how good is the performance of ONB+ during fogs and rains? Am bit skeptical about the CT. During normal weather it looks very cool. Pls update

Last edited by sajjt : 9th January 2012 at 15:34.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 16:16   #2424
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
I was wondering how come you'd no issues in flashing with a HID kit which needs warm up time. Initial flashing from a HID will not get noticed by everyone as its too fast to get noticed. IMO, flashing has to be very visible as some times it can be a life saver.



What was the CT he opted? If its something around 6000K and above it will be a show off piece when the weather is good and during fogs and rain you can't see a thing on the road. My first piece of HID was on 6000K whch was a waste of money during rains, even the stock halogen was far far better than that.

This Xmas I've utilized it at its full throttle, I've put it inside of a white star, and every one was asking me what kind of bulb it was, so powerful, colorful and nicely complementing the white paper star.

Ask your friend to check for the dust cover made of rubber seated properly behind the HL assy, HID conversion to stock reflectors as simple as replacing the bulb except the ballast & wiring harness part. It can be the moisture in the atmosphere is getting inside, HID won't heat up like halogens once its in full brightness so it won't evaporate the moisture inside the HL assy as fast as halogens.



Yes its a just PnP upgrade but how good is the performance of ONB+ during fogs and rains? Am bit skeptical about the CT. During normal weather it looks very cool. Pls update
Sure.The light is very good.I could make out the difference in highways.You can see the reflective sign boards from a very long distance.The othe good part was,I could make out the speed breakers from a long distance enough to bring down the vehicle speed(Which I couldn't see with stock philips bulb).It surely increases the range of visibility.
I didnt get a chance to try in heavy fog and rain.Salbin is using it for a very long time now,and he told it really helps.I am waiting for a rain to test it
white-rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 18:18   #2425
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Sure.The light is very good.I could make out the difference in highways.You can see the reflective sign boards from a very long distance.The othe good part was,I could make out the speed breakers from a long distance enough to bring down the vehicle speed(Which I couldn't see with stock philips bulb).It surely increases the range of visibility.
I didnt get a chance to try in heavy fog and rain.Salbin is using it for a very long time now,and he told it really helps.I am waiting for a rain to test it
Oh no you disappointed me Its just because of the CT effect on reflective sign boards. White tint will give more visibility on dry roads, light colors especially white/silver reflective sign boards than any other tint. Am more interested the performance in bad weather as thats the most important part. Normal weather anything below 7000K will do the job but when it comes to bad weather things will change dramatically, you will even think that your bulb is blown if you chose a wrong/fancy CT.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 20:17   #2426
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Oh no you disappointed me Its just because of the CT effect on reflective sign boards. White tint will give more visibility on dry roads, light colors especially white/silver reflective sign boards than any other tint. Am more interested the performance in bad weather as thats the most important part. Normal weather anything below 7000K will do the job but when it comes to bad weather things will change dramatically, you will even think that your bulb is blown if you chose a wrong/fancy CT.
I dont know much about lightings(ofcourse,you are my Guru) but I got this information from ONB+ website "The light produced by Night Breaker Plus bulbs delivers a colour temperature of 3500K ".

What ever it is,from my experiance,I just love this bulbs.
Any ideas for a better fog lamps?
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 21:15   #2427
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Darn it! Scratched the right side of my front bumper against a wall while parking in the tightest parking space ever.
3day old and already a scratch, GREAT!
Can such a scratch be covered?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20120109_203719.jpg  


Last edited by superutp : 9th January 2012 at 21:18.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 21:52   #2428
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Darn it! Scratched the right side of my front bumper against a wall while parking in the tightest parking space ever.
3day old and already a scratch, GREAT!
Can such a scratch be covered?
Sad to hear that it got scratched. If its your parking space,consider securing the walls with rubber padings on the bumper heights so that it wont hurt badly.

Don't worry, SVC guys are capable of handling this job.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 22:27   #2429
BHPian
 
white-rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 282
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Darn it! Scratched the right side of my front bumper against a wall while parking in the tightest parking space ever.
3day old and already a scratch, GREAT!
Can such a scratch be covered?
Sorry to hear that! Take it to service center.They will get it done.I will cost you 1500+ a day time.
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 08:26   #2430
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

Don't worry, SVC guys are capable of handling this job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Sorry to hear that! Take it to service center.They will get it done.I will cost you 1500+ a day time.
Thanks, but unfortunately I wont be taking the car to the service centre for repair since owing to the nature of my parking space, another scratch in inevitable. Maybe its a wake up call to not take walls for granted

Maybe in a few months when I shift out to a better parking space..I mean house Ill get it covered.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 693 30th December 2016 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks